Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning's wishes for Broncos' offense mirror the team's desires Read more: Peyton Manning's wishes for Broncos' offense mirror the team's desi

BayAreaBronco

To do that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and quarterbacks coach Adam Gase reviewed the Colts' 2010 game video to see if what the Colts were doing would fit into the Broncos' plans for Manning. That was the starting point of what will eventually be the finished product.

"Initially, when Coach (John) Fox approached me and kind of told us our plan, if Peyton were to be released, what we were going to do, from that point on Adam Gase and I went back and watched the 2010 season," McCoy said. "(We) kind of fit some of the concepts into our system.

What I liked about the article was Manning being in the shotgun plenty more than he did with the Colts. That was something I wanted more of.

When Peyton talked in "America's Game" when the Colts won the SB in the 2006 season, he talked about Brady going shotgun to deal with Mangini's constant defensive movement at the line of scrimmage and he borrowed those concepts for the Ravens playoff game. I then wondered "Peyton, for all his passing prowess, did not go shotgun enough times as I would have liked him to.". Brady and the 2007 Pats set a record taking 55% of their offensive snaps out of the shotgun formation. I have always felt Peyton could be more successful against all that movement at the line of scrimmage like the Chargers did etc. with the shotgun formations and I wanted him to do so. Hopefully Mike McCoy will employ more of those and that will tweak the Peyton that most teams know or think they know of.

The Colts offense was getting a bit predictable and this might have been a good thing for Peyton's efficiency during the home stretch of his career, a new perspective, less predictability on offense. He would not have wanted to wander out of his comfort zone if he were at Indy, IMO. Now, his hand will be a bit forced, and that might be a good thing to make his QB play more effective. The shotgun formations with 2 RBs in the backfield may also make the running game more effective, IMO.

I didn't get that out of the article at all.

It probably did not make a relative correlation with the Colts but this is what led me to believe he will be in shotgun plenty of times from the article (key lines below):

• Many defensive coordinators who've faced Manning plenty in his career say they believe the veteran is most comfortable working out of one-back formations, sitting in the shotgun.
  • The Broncos have already also shown the world plenty of two-back looks out of the shotgun when Tim Tebow was in the lineup, so it is certainly something they could easily adapt to with a quarterback as gifted as Manning. Last season they showed two backs in a shotgun formation, using a running back and a fullback to add to a look that had two running backs — Willis McGahee and Lance Ball — in at the same time.
  • So, Manning may be in the shotgun plenty, but the Broncos' personnel decisions to this point show them leaning toward doing that out of some power formations.

While how he will end up in shotgun, and how it will be w.r.t how many times he did it with the Colts is debatable, based on how few running plays the Colts ran out of shotgun, even if we kept the number of passing plays close to the same out of shotgun (not total passing plays), that to me correlates an increased number of snaps out of shotgun. Of course, nothing is set in stone yet, Mike McCoy improvized as the season went, so a lot of things can change. We will see how the season unfolds.

I thought it was interesting the coaching staff was so proactive that they studied Peyton's tape before they knew they had a shot at landing him. They swallowed their pride and ran Tebow offense last year. It will be a much more fun experience for them to adjust to Peyton. I'm glad they plan to pound the ball too.