Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ocho Cinco Cut by Pats should Colts sign him?

sixfive

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not totally true. Vrable was let go & he played at a high level. Also they let Willie McGinnest go. They also let Deion Branch go who played for the Seahawks & then brought him back. Why would they bring him back if they thought he couldn't play at a high level? Tom Brady had something to do w/it I'm sure but the Pats had the final decision on that. The Pats offense is more complex. As for Vrable & Mcginest it was probably their age. You put Chad in an offense thats not as complex & he should get at least 500-600 yards & about 4-5 TDs. If you want to see a group of top receivers then look to the Green Bay Packers. They've got an awesome group of WRs & Looks like Gurly will be added to the team off the practice squad. Colts need help in the WR area

Chad still didn't play anywhere near a high level and we don't know how complex the offense will be.

That's not totally true. Vrable was let go & he played at a high level. Also they let Willie McGinnest go. They also let Deion Branch go who played for the Seahawks & then brought him back. Why would they bring him back if they thought he couldn't play at a high level? Tom Brady had something to do w/it I'm sure but the Pats had the final decision on that. The Pats offense is more complex. As for Vrable & Mcginest it was probably their age. You put Chad in an offense thats not as complex & he should get at least 500-600 yards & about 4-5 TDs. If you want to see a group of top receivers then look to the Green Bay Packers. They've got an awesome group of WRs & Looks like Gurly will be added to the team off the practice squad. Colts need help in the WR area

Most of those guys were traded or left as a free agent that is different than being let go.

The colts need help at wr but an older player who is coming off a hoorianle season with one of the best qbs in football is not the answer. Again based off last season what did you see that makes you so sure chad still has two to three good to great years left in him? The colts aren't going to dumb down the offense for him or anyone else and nor should they. Chad would need to learn the offense and if he can't do that for whatever reason this is not the place for him. Chad looks done. It's not like he played with a bad qb and didn't put up great numbers or had just an okay season he was horriable last year. I think it's more hope he would have two to three great years left and frankly with the shape the colts are in that's not the kind of help they need. They need good young players to grow and develop with luck.

People are actually thinking we should bring Chad on to this team? The guy could not even sniff the field in New England and put up crap numbers with of the best quarterbacks throwing him the ball. The guy is just stupid, could not handle being an actual WR and learning how to run routes. The guy continually had to ask other WRs what route to run and could not even get the basic lining up down.

He has some talent, but he just has nothing upstairs and no way I want that around Luck.

Most of those guys were traded or left as a free agent that is different than being let go.

The colts need help at wr but an older player who is coming off a hoorianle season with one of the best qbs in football is not the answer. Again based off last season what did you see that makes you so sure chad still has two to three good to great years left in him? The colts aren't going to dumb down the offense for him or anyone else and nor should they. Chad would need to learn the offense and if he can't do that for whatever reason this is not the place for him. Chad looks done. It's not like he played with a bad qb and didn't put up great numbers or had just an okay season he was horriable last year. I think it's more hope he would have two to three great years left and frankly with the shape the colts are in that's not the kind of help they need. They need good young players to grow and develop with luck.

I don't really think we need help at receiver. I think our corps as it's constituted will be fine. A stud athlete who can potentially be a #1 is on the wish list, but the mix we have should be good. I think we're going to cut a good receiver or two at the end of camp, to be honest. I doubt #85 would make our final roster if we did bring him in, simply because it has the potential to be our deepest position.

I don't really think we need help at receiver. I think our corps as it's constituted will be fine. A stud athlete who can potentially be a #1 is on the wish list, but the mix we have should be good. I think we're going to cut a good receiver or two at the end of camp, to be honest. I doubt #85 would make our final roster if we did bring him in, simply because it has the potential to be our deepest position.

Key word potential. That potential could not pan out too we just don't know yet. That's the danger of rookies you just don't know. With that said clearly they aren't going to give up on rookies that they drafted during their rookie season either though. I'd agree they do need a future number one but I think that's mostly likely our first pick next year. With that said I don't think Ocho can really offer the Colts much because he's not a clear cut number one and I think they would rather ride things out with the rookie they do have for two to three years and see how they develop than bring a guy in who is trying to hold on at best for another couple of years.

Key word potential. That potential could not pan out too we just don't know yet. That's the danger of rookies you just don't know. With that said clearly they aren't going to give up on rookies that they drafted during their rookie season either though. I'd agree they do need a future number one but I think that's mostly likely our first pick next year. With that said I don't think Ocho can really offer the Colts much because he's not a clear cut number one and I think they would rather ride things out with the rookie they do have for two to three years and see how they develop than bring a guy in who is trying to hold on at best for another couple of years.

Agreed on all points, but in today's NFL it's easier for a rookie receiver or tight end to have an impact. I would expect the guys we added (plus Avery) to contribute and round out our corps nicely. Plus we still have Reggie and Austin. We're deep at receiver, in several different ways. We definitely don't need #85.

Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote. The Pats offense is more complicated than some other teams. The Pats got rid of Deion Branch then brought him back. Have you ever heard or seen a player that sucks w/1 team & does good w/another. Chad won't have an excellent yr but I believe he is capable of having a decent yr. He'll get about 500-600 yrds & 4-5 maybe 6 TDs.

Chad still didn't play anywhere near a high level and we don't know how complex the offense will be.

The Dolphin defense isn't as complex as the Pats. Just look at the QB they had last year. They've got a rookie QB this year so it won't be that complex.

Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote. The Pats offense is more complicated than some other teams. The Pats got rid of Deion Branch then brought him back. Have you ever heard or seen a player that sucks w/1 team & does good w/another. Chad won't have an excellent yr but I believe he is capable of having a decent yr. He'll get about 500-600 yrds & 4-5 maybe 6 TDs.

They didn't get ride Branch they traded him and as I said before there is a difference between being cut IE being let go and being traded. Branch being traded had nothing to do with production and had everything to do with his contract hold out. Chad was cut because he was not good and normally the Pats don't cut players if they still have something left in the tank.

I have heard of it but Chad's numbers were starting to go down with the Bengals before he went to the Pats as has been perfectly clearly here not just by but other but Chad was not a good fit here and it doesn't matter anymore because he's with Miami now.

Also just for the record the Colts offense has been one of the more complex offenses in the NFL in recent memory and I know there are new coaches but one of them is the guy who helped put the Colts offense the first time and they kept Christison to carry over some of the old offense. So I don't think the Colts new offense is going to be that simple.

The Dolphin defense isn't as complex as the Pats. Just look at the QB they had last year. They've got a rookie QB this year so it won't be that complex.

Chad Johnson will have better #'s because he will simply be on the field more. I doubt Miami has a receiver that would crack the Patriots rotation and that includes Johnson.

With that said, the Dolphins are installing the West Coast Offense, and Johnson isn't exactly a good fit for it and its precise routes.

In Cincy, he had to be told what to do, he never could grasp the Patriots offense. I don't know if he can't comprehend it mentally, or if he is just lazy and conceited. Either way, he's going to have to put in an effort to be good even in the WCO, but even if he stays on par for what he has done historically his #'s will improve because he will see far more snaps than he did in New England.

They didn't get ride Branch they traded him and as I said before there is a difference between being cut IE being let go and being traded. Branch being traded had nothing to do with production and had everything to do with his contract hold out. Chad was cut because he was not good and normally the Pats don't cut players if they still have something left in the tank.

I have heard of it but Chad's numbers were starting to go down with the Bengals before he went to the Pats as has been perfectly clearly here not just by but other but Chad was not a good fit here and it doesn't matter anymore because he's with Miami now.

Also just for the record the Colts offense has been one of the more complex offenses in the NFL in recent memory and I know there are new coaches but one of them is the guy who helped put the Colts offense the first time and they kept Christison to carry over some of the old offense. So I don't think the Colts new offense is going to be that simple.

It may not be simple but it won't be as complex as it was w/Peyton. Had Chad played for the Colts when Peyton was QB Chad would've likely have had the same kinda year.

Chad Johnson will have better #'s because he will simply be on the field more. I doubt Miami has a receiver that would crack the Patriots rotation and that includes Johnson.

With that said, the Dolphins are installing the West Coast Offense, and Johnson isn't exactly a good fit for it and its precise routes.

In Cincy, he had to be told what to do, he never could grasp the Patriots offense. I don't know if he can't comprehend it mentally, or if he is just lazy and conceited. Either way, he's going to have to put in an effort to be good even in the WCO, but even if he stays on par for what he has done historically his #'s will improve because he will see far more snaps than he did in New England.

I ran out likes today already. I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with every word you said FJC. Bravo my friend!!! You encapsulated my perspective regarding Chad Johnson perfectly FJC. Well done indeed.

I was talking about the Colts but yeah he might give the Finns some production. Defense? You mean offense, it happens.