Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ocho Cinco Cut by Pats should Colts sign him?

sixfive

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe for the right price YES. I have never heard of him being a virus in the locker room. I think he could help with the process of bringing Luck along with Reggie and the cast. Dont beat me up, just wondering what Colts Nation thinks. Colts Strong

Give me your address. If the Colts sign him , I'll send you $100. No offense but to give a rookie QB a guy that can't or wont learn a play book would be more insane than not smart. According to Bengal sources , here's one team mate's opinion on him.

According to Bengals.com, T.J. Houshmandzadeh used to tell Chad Ochocinco where to line up on offense in Cincinnati.

Ochocinco's cavalier attitude toward the playbook started long before his one-year stop-over in New England. It certainly didn't endear him to former Bengals OC Bob Bratkowski, now in Jacksonville. "If I went with Tom Brady and didn't produce, I'd hang it up," Houshmandzadeh said of Ochocinco's 2011 struggles.

If we were in a position to make a SB run and they wanted to bring him in the see if there is something to offer to get us over the hump I could see it. but he isn't getting any younger nad I think we need to let our young QB grow and mature with our young receivers. As was already mentioned we do have some vets as receivers that will be all Luck needs.

Let's continue work on the rebuilding rather that trying to create another "over the hill gang" with the vet minimum old guys. We don't need stop gap help. We need to build a championship team. If the Pats didn't think he was going to help them to the SB why should we?

we just drafted and trade for younger receivers with more speed..

..with a new QB...and Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie already under contract and ready to go...

....it simply cant be a serious consideration......

...we have weaknesses and question mark positions..but I dont think receiver is one of them

.......there's just no need here..

He is going to want bigger money probably but if he is willing to come into camp and work like everyone else and try to win a spot I see nothing wrong with bringing him in on a low level contract. The problem I think becomes is he really as bad with the playbook and such or was it just NE. If it is then no problem walking away. That said he still is an upgrade on the outside to anyone we have currently if he is able to learn. If I was a GM I would definately be putting feelers out there to get info on him. Talking to previous coaches and teammates. He is definately a very nice guy and not a locker room problem. It isn't like TO. I think it simply comes down to his learning his role and place in an offense. To me he is a clear upgrade over Avery on the outside if he can learn his routes and play like he did in Cincy. Not to worried one way or another as I will trust our GM has done his research.

DG,

I will acknowledge that Chad Johnson is not completely washed up or a scrub, but veteran leadership is Chad's only real value in my judgement as a WR & Reggie Wayne more than occupies & fulfills that role perfectly IMO. Even at a bargain basement price, I would pass on Chad personally.

I still value your knack for clever GM front office moves though DG.

I agree to some extent but there is other roles on this team. All old guys don't have to be mentors or leaders. Many just bring their lunch pail and get it done. We have leaders on defense with Mathis and Freeney and Reggie on the offense. I agree he is not going to be a 1000 yard receiver but I believe he still has enough skills to be a guy that lined up opposite of Reggie would be able to get 50-60 balls and 800 yards. To me this all comes down to his ability to grasp the playbook. If all those reports are true then he is going to have a hard time anywhere....and if that is true then I think NE did the guy a real disservice cutting him at the end of OTAs. He should have been cut long ago so as to give him time to find a new team, and a real chance to learn the offense (since he struggles with that). To me that was there way of ^messing^ him over since he didn't work out. I think they know he still has talent left but know he wasn't a fit with them and don't want him coming back to bite them. Say like if a divisional team picks him up. Just inhibiting his chances enough. I could be wrong on all that but for a veteren guy like that...that just kept his mouth shut last year and played by your rules and changed his whole game....I think they could have given him more respect to cut him after the season....let him have a shot to find a job elsewhere. He is behind the 8 ball now.

Have you guys seen the reports on his low football IQ? Pretty much just freelances out there. Not exactly a good fit.

hes not that great of a route runner but he isnt a system WR in that respect. if you look at his numbers when they were great. it was when he didnt go by a route but was told just to get open and the qb will throw to him when he was open. why do you think palmer and him had such great chemestry cause when palmer got into trouble he could just throw the ball ocho's way and hed catch it. BB tried to make him a route runner which he isnt. he is a play maker and if you put him in that role again he will succeed again. that is my two cents. tj housch is a route runner and he isnt producing like he should either.

Here's some more....

Multiple sources tell the Boston Globe that Chad Ochocinco just didn't have the "football I.Q." to succeed with the Patriots.

"The Patriots would literally tell him to run a route a certain way, and a minute later he would run it the other way," wrote the Globe's Greg Bedard. "It happened all the time." During recent OTAs, he also struggled to recognize zone versus man coverage. Even if it irked Carson Palmer, Ochocinco often got away with freelancing as opposed to running the correct route in Cincinnati. That was never going to work in the Patriots' precision timing offense, which relies on receivers to make pre-snap reads and run exactly where Tom Brady expects them to run.

Source: Boston Globe

Jun 8 - 11:28 AM

If I was GM, the only aged WRs I'd want are Driver, Wayne, and then Smith. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more but your seeing my line of thought. Go for the guys who did everything right, run routes, great hands, great attitude, students of the game. WRs need those things late in their careers to continue to be great. Agility and speed doesn't last.

Here's some more....

Multiple sources tell the Boston Globe that Chad Ochocinco just didn't have the "football I.Q." to succeed with the Patriots.

"The Patriots would literally tell him to run a route a certain way, and a minute later he would run it the other way," wrote the Globe's Greg Bedard. "It happened all the time." During recent OTAs, he also struggled to recognize zone versus man coverage. Even if it irked Carson Palmer, Ochocinco often got away with freelancing as opposed to running the correct route in Cincinnati. That was never going to work in the Patriots' precision timing offense, which relies on receivers to make pre-snap reads and run exactly where Tom Brady expects them to run.

Source: Boston Globe

Jun 8 - 11:28 AM

which solidifies my point i made earlier. if you let him free lance and not give him specific orders to a route to run he will succeed. he and palmer also worked out alot anyone remember this where he and palmer came to indy to watch manning and harrison work out? palmer knew what chad was thinking all the time so when palmer went down with injury chad's production dropped. chad need practice with the qb and shown how to run the route not shown on paper. he might not have the speed he used to but i bet if you let him play ball like he knows how he will be great once again.

If he has to freelance to be successful then that tells me one of two things. He is either too stupid or too lazy to learn an offensive system, neither of which we need on this team. To expect a rookie QB to chuck the ball to someone that could be anywhere on the field is crazy imo and is a recipe for a whole lot of interceptions, again something that we do not need on this team.

I vote with a resounding NO

Just a thought. If these players like T O, Randy Moss and Ocho are so great, why do they change teams like underwear?

which solidifies my point i made earlier. if you let him free lance and not give him specific orders to a route to run he will succeed. he and palmer also worked out alot anyone remember this where he and palmer came to indy to watch manning and harrison work out? palmer knew what chad was thinking all the time so when palmer went down with injury chad's production dropped. chad need practice with the qb and shown how to run the route not shown on paper. he might not have the speed he used to but i bet if you let him play ball like he knows how he will be great once again.

This isn't flag football. NFL teams don't want a "freelance" WR and it'd be especially stupid with a rookie QB.

If he has to freelance to be successful then that tells me one of two things. He is either too stupid or too lazy to learn an offensive system, neither of which we need on this team. To expect a rookie QB to chuck the ball to someone that could be anywhere on the field is crazy imo and is a recipe for a whole lot of interceptions, again something that we do not need on this team.

I vote with a resounding NO

Just a thought. If these players like T O, Randy Moss and Ocho are so great, why do they change teams like underwear?

Ding Ding. You don't want players to free lance. You have set plays or a reason. If he has to free lance that's going to lead to more INTs because Luck can't read his mind to figure out what Ocho is going to do while free lancing. Then that will lead Ocho going to the sidelines and saying I was open he didn't throw me the ball and it got picked off not my fault talk to Luck about why he threw the pick. That causes issues in the locker-room which is how a player gets a rep as a cancer.

Sorry it's one thing to keep an older WR like Reggie Wayne who is a proven leader and put up decent numbers last year playing with the JV squad of QBs and who can probably help bring your young QB along and who happens to be a long time fan favorite in the city he's playing in. It's another to bring in a guy who just got cut by a team who was in the Super Bowl last year and who has one of the best QBs in the NFL today and that WR still did next to nothing and who has a long history of being a show boat and comes across like he cares more about himself than the team.

Sorry if Ocho needs to "free lance" to be a good player then he's not a good fit here because a rookie QB that is trying to learn the offense with a team that is trying to learn the new offense doesn't need a player who is "free lancing" with it.

Ooooh, maybe we can add Kampman too! In fact, we should have a thread for every cast-off from other teams, arguing how the Colts are stupid not to pick them up.

Oh. Wait. That already happens.

I am all for a "one man's trash is another's treasure" philosophy, but sometimes I wish this forum would be more selective with the curbside trash it tries to bring home. There will be a ton of refuse to pick through in the next couple months. Some of it might suit this team very well. Most will not.

Ding Ding. You don't want players to free lance. You have set plays or a reason. If he has to free lance that's going to lead to more INTs because Luck can't read his mind to figure out what Ocho is going to do while free lancing. Then that will lead Ocho going to the sidelines and saying I was open he didn't throw me the ball and it got picked off not my fault talk to * (Insert QB name here)* about why he threw the pick. That causes issues in the locker-room which is how a player gets a rep as a cancer.

I have no problem imagining that happening and as per my addition to your post, it most likely has happened before.

Give me your address. If the Colts sign him , I'll send you $100. No offense but to give a rookie QB a guy that can't or wont learn a play book would be more insane than not smart. According to Bengal sources , here's one team mate's opinion on him.

According to Bengals.com, T.J. Houshmandzadeh used to tell Chad Ochocinco where to line up on offense in Cincinnati.

Ochocinco's cavalier attitude toward the playbook started long before his one-year stop-over in New England. It certainly didn't endear him to former Bengals OC Bob Bratkowski, now in Jacksonville. "If I went with Tom Brady and didn't produce, I'd hang it up," Houshmandzadeh said of Ochocinco's 2011 struggles.

Lol omg that's cold

I know Chad is no Marvin but he demands that respect.

No he doesnt ... last year with Tom Brady in 15 games he had 15 receptions...

Glad to see T.O. and #85 done... I just hope NFL network or ESPN don't hire the guy to be a color commentator...

I forsee some arena league soccer in #85s future...

No!!! He costs tons of money and if the colts are trying to rebuild, why bring in a 34 year old? He is not even good anymore! Definitely don't sign Chad Ochocinco!

Why do people think he's going to cost a lot of money? He's a veteran receiver who might be a step or two from leaving the league. He's not going to get a big contract. I'll be surprised if he gets anything more than vet minimum.

Why do people think he's going to cost a lot of money? He's a veteran receiver who might be a step or two from leaving the league. He's not going to get a big contract. I'll be surprised if he gets anything more than vet minimum.

Just me personally but I wouldn't care if he was free. I still wouldn't want him here.

I would love to have Chad Johnson on our team as far as entertainment value. The issue you are going to run into is he is the same type of receiver wayne is. Doesn't have blazing speed good hands and amazing TD dances lol. If the colts could get him cheap I say pull the trigger.

I'd say yes. He still has at least 2-3 good(not great)years. He could help the Colts spread the field.

Really then what happened last year? He was with one of the best qbs in football with a pass friendly system and did nothing. So what did you see last year that makes you so sure he has two to three good to great years left?

Also the pats don't tend to release guys who can still play at a high level.

I would love to have Chad Johnson on our team as far as entertainment value. The issue you are going to run into is he is the same type of receiver wayne is. Doesn't have blazing speed good hands and amazing TD dances lol. If the colts could get him cheap I say pull the trigger.

I'd say the bigger issue we would run into is that chad shows all the signs in the world of being done. Also I don't think we are going to sign someone because of his endzone dances so that's pretty much a none factor if anything it works against him because it shows he cares more about drawing attention to himself than he does about the team by taking the risk for the flag and with the shape our sts and defense has been we can't be giving the other team 15 free yards so chad can dance. Of course to do that you have to score which is something he only did once last year which goes back to my first point of showing signs of being done.

Really then what happened last year? He was with one of the best qbs in football with a pass friendly system and did nothing. So what did you see last year that makes you so sure he has two to three good to great years left?

Also the pats don't tend to release guys who can still play at a high level.

That's not totally true. Vrable was let go & he played at a high level. Also they let Willie McGinnest go. They also let Deion Branch go who played for the Seahawks & then brought him back. Why would they bring him back if they thought he couldn't play at a high level? Tom Brady had something to do w/it I'm sure but the Pats had the final decision on that. The Pats offense is more complex. As for Vrable & Mcginest it was probably their age. You put Chad in an offense thats not as complex & he should get at least 500-600 yards & about 4-5 TDs. If you want to see a group of top receivers then look to the Green Bay Packers. They've got an awesome group of WRs & Looks like Gurly will be added to the team off the practice squad. Colts need help in the WR area