Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Top 10 AFC Breakout Players For 2012

This is an interesting article at ESPN.com. It lists the players they see taking their game to the next level this season. Number 5 = Pat Angerer

Top 10 AFC breakout players

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Joe Haden among players who could have big seasons

Originally Published: June 7, 2012By Gary Horton | Scouts Inc.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8020223/nfl-top-10-breakout-players-afc-2012

5. Pat Angerer, ILB, Indianapolis Colts

He stepped in a year ago because of injuries and he played surprisingly well at MLB in their 4-3 defense. He was consistent and his production was outstanding, as he recorded 148 tackles. He has played inside and outside, and now he will settle at ILB in their new 3-4 look. He is a three-down player with excellent range, tackling skills and ball location, and even though his cover skills are only adequate, he is good enough to stay on the field on third down.

Not sure how a guy with 148 tackles last year -- which I think was among the league lead -- is a candidate to be a 'break out' player??

Didn't he break out last year? Seems to me he did?

Now, he might be a candidate to get more deserved attention, to be on everyone's radar, to get national respect..... that, I'd give him. But a break-out candidate? Seems like that horse left that barn a year ago.

Hope this comes across as much as a compliment to Angerer as much as it is a bit of a knock on the story..... :2c:

NewColtsFan

Not sure how a guy with 148 tackles last year -- which I think was among the league lead -- is a candidate to be a 'break out' player??

Didn't he break out last year? Seems to me he did?

Now, he might be a candidate to get more deserved attention, to be on everyone's radar, to get national respect..... that, I'd give him. But a break-out candidate? Seems like that horse left that barn a year ago.

Hope this comes across as much as a compliment to Angerer as much as it is a bit of a knock on the story..... :2c:

NewColtsFan

we were 2-14

I actually expect a serious fall this year. I'm assuming teams are going to single him out as the player to be picked on. This isn't going to be Cover 2 where he's able to jump back 5 yards at the snap and be able to read the play and react accordingly. He will be filling holes up the middle, and if they bounce outside, he'll be out completely.

And has there ever been a more shallow 140 "tackles" by a player like Pat had last year? Sure he brought down or helped bring down a carrier, but it was generally 8yards down the field.

I couldnt disagree more IndyTrav! Angerer was 2nd in solo tackles to AB and LED the team in tackles for loss. He is also top 2-3 in PD & FF! So the ONE guy on defense who actually tackles while having NO beef up front is going to have a serious fall in production? I will give you that his pass coverage is lacking & needs improvement but Angerer is a ball hawk, ALWAYS around the ball carrier! I think you may need to go back and watch the tape cuz we are not watching the same player. Yes it's Angerer's fault that nobody could tackle so he had to chase em' down sometimes 8-10 yards down field (end sarcasm). Not a personal attack Indy :) just not sure what games your watching or what stats your looking at?? GO Colts!