Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis

Coffeedrinker

I know a lot of people have been talking about Nevis and how impressed they were with him, I just wanted to point out one specific play that I think we will see many more like this in the coming years.

At around 3:00 left in the first quarter.

Nevis lines up over the LG. At the snap the LG moves to Nevis' left, Nevis drives his arms into the LG and knocks him off balance, the FB comes up to get a chip on him before sitting at the LOS for the screen. Nevis hooks his arm under the FB and just sends him flying into the guard. nevis goes down to one knee as the guard is trying to get over there to block him. Nevis is up so quickly, drives a shoulder into the guard and gets him off balance again, then the guard barely gets a handful of jersey and holds Nevis all the way to Bradford who flicks the ball down.

Just an absolutely incredible play, if I can figure out a way to post a clip, I will. Plus there could have easily been a holding call and/or an intentional grounding call. And that was against the 1st team offense.

I know a lot of people have been talking about Nevis and how impressed they were with him, I just wanted to point out one specific play that I think we will see many more like this in the coming years.

Nevis lines up over the LG. At the snap the LG moves to Nevis' left, Nevis drives his arms into the LG and knocks him off balance, the FB comes up to get a chip on him before sitting at the LOS for the screen. Nevis hooks his arm under the FB and just sends him flying into the guard. nevis goes down to one knee as the guard is trying to get over there to block him. Nevis is up so quickly, drives a shoulder into the guard and gets him off balance again, then the guard barely gets a handful of jersey and holds Nevis all the way to Bradford who flicks the ball down.

Just an absolutely incredible play, if I can figure out a way to post a clip, I will. Plus there could have easily been a holding call and/or an intentional grounding call. And that was against the 1st team offense.

I noticed this during the live showing. Nevis displayed motor and strength on more than one occasion, but that near sack was seriously encouraging.

Please try to find a clip! This was the one play that stood out to me also because he mauled that FB out of the way. It was interesting to see, people in my house are calling him the "Grizz Bear" after that specific play because it wasn't like he was just getting his hands on some pads; he was mauling those people in his way and clubbing them out of the way with pure strength. Awesome play.

Guy looks like King Kong on the line. I thought he was supposed to be smallish?

Nevis is not smallish at all. I know that was said about him coming out of college but he must have packed on some weight in the offseason. The dude is every bit of 310 or bigger.

While Nevis was the positive on D-line play, Ricardo Mathews was not.

Ricardo Mathews, No. 91, was getting pushed around too much, IMO. Anyone thinks his roster spot could be in jeopardy with the play of Ollie Ogbu?

Here's what I typed about Mathews in another thread.

Mathews - The guy is like the Tasmanian Devil, he's moving, he's active, he's wreaking havoc but there is no rhyme or reason to it and it didn't affect many plays.

I think with the play of Ogbu and the play of Gill both Mathews and Foster need to fight for their jobs. I like Foster's intensity and motor and versatility, but IMO Gill will offer the same in a bigger, stronger frame.

Here's what I typed about Mathews in another thread.

Mathews - The guy is like the Tasmanian Devil, he's moving, he's active, he's wreaking havoc but there is no rhyme or reason to it and it didn't affect many plays.

I think with the play of Ogbu and the play of Gill both Mathews and Foster need to fight for their jobs. I like Foster's intensity and motor and versatility, but IMO Gill will offer the same in a bigger, stronger frame.

I agree. I never understood the love affair many Colts fans have with Foster. Sure the guy has a good motor and gives 100%, but that does not equate to talent. I always thought Foster was a liability even though he would give his best, unfortunatly his best is not good enough IMO.

I agree. I never understood the love affair many Colts fans have with Foster. Sure the guy has a good motor and gives 100%, but that does not equate to talent. I always thought Foster was a liability even though he would give his best, unfortunatly his best is not good enough IMO.

It's not just his effort. He was also productive. I think he had the most sacks from the interior of the line out of anyone last year.

Granted, it was only something like 2 sacks, but still....

Nevis is really good, but i noticed on one play that he beat the guard so quick that he was already in the backfield but had the wrong angle to tackle the running back. So the running back had a huge hole to run through and got close to ten yards on the play. That's the only problem that i can see with him.

Nevis is really good, but i noticed on one play that he beat the guard so quick that he was already in the backfield but had the wrong angle to tackle the running back. So the running back had a huge hole to run through and got close to ten yards on the play. That's the only problem that i can see with him.

I think you have to look at it a different way though. If the angle would have been good, the RB goes down for a loss of 3 yards, maybe more. The fact that he beat the guard that badly says a lot about his potential. Imagine that had been a pass play. Can you say, "Sack, loss of 7 yards."? Or better yet, the QB gets flushed out of the pocket into Frathis, who routinely strip balls from QB's. He got more penetration from the interior than I have seen from a Colt in a while, preseason or not. I'm very excited to see what this guy can bring to the table in the regular season.

I think you have to look at it a different way though. If the angle would have been good, the RB goes down for a loss of 3 yards, maybe more. The fact that he beat the guard that badly says a lot about his potential. Imagine that had been a pass play. Can you say, "Sack, loss of 7 yards."? Or better yet, the QB gets flushed out of the pocket into Frathis, who routinely strip balls from QB's. He got more penetration from the interior than I have seen from a Colt in a while, preseason or not. I'm very excited to see what this guy can bring to the table in the regular season.

That is true that it could of been easily been a 3 yard loss, it's just a 50/50 chance on which way the running back goes. Sometimes he will make the big play or a giant hole will open up for the RB.

Nevis did look incredible on that play. One of the reasons I really hope Tommie Harris pans out because if nothing else his humongous size can at least move some offensive lineman out of the way and there will be a Freeney/Mathis/Nevis sack fest going on.

Nevis is not smallish at all. I know that was said about him coming out of college but he must have packed on some weight in the offseason. The dude is every bit of 310 or bigger.

Yea an article i read earlier this summer during the lockout stated he put on 10 lbs, from 294 to 304 but he looks larger than that.

I've been watching Nevis for years at LSU. He's smallish compared to the mammoths that man 3-4 lines and the NT like Shaun Cody or Grady Jackson. Nevis is in the exact same mold as Sapp w/o as much fanfare from college. He is a gap splitter so he'll disrupt a lot of plays and take himself out of a lot of plays not in the gap that he explodes into.