Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Waive Qb Nate Davis (Merge)

Coltswarriors

We knew it was coming, but so soon? He did kind of had that 'deer in the headlights' look out there. He was best when improvising.

I'm not trying to start a rumor, but wasn't the knock on him coming out of college that he didn't have the mentality to be a pro QB?

Doesn't mean he's stupid, just not pro QB material. Look at Heath Shuler, 1st round pick, bright guy, but couldn't remember how to call the plays.

Now he's a congressman! (Insert your own joke here)

Yeah, kind of surprising move here...

I guess the FO has seen enough to know. They sure know more than we do.

There was a broken play in the game the other night. Commentators for the Rams said that either the HB or the QB was at fault. One of those two. I'm guessing now it was Davis. Then, on the last series, 3rd down, he easily could have gotten a first down by running and kept the drive going. Instead, he made an unnecessary, high risk pass that was incomplete. They had to question his judgment on that one, I would think.

We knew it was coming, but so soon? He did kind of had that 'deer in the headlights' look out there. He was best when improvising.

I'm not trying to start a rumor, but wasn't the knock on him coming out of college that he didn't have the mentality to be a pro QB?

Doesn't mean he's stupid, just not pro QB material. Look at Heath Shuler, 1st round pick, bright guy, but couldn't remember how to call the plays.

Now he's a congressman! (Insert your own joke here)

Sorry I'd better not touch that with a 10 foot pole.( might get banned ) lol

Why waive him? Because he had no chance to make the team and he was taking reps from others.

More or less meant it as, "Why waive him off of one game and not some of the other horrid 3rd-4th string defense players". As in, we already have his roster replacement ready to sign a deal anyway =). I wasn't asking the question, just hypothetically saying we must have someone coming in and it made the most sense to ship him out! What you said, viewed from a different window.

Why waive him? Because he had no chance to make the team and he was taking reps from others.

Sometimes the classy organizations will release a guy as quickly as possible if they have no real intent on keeping him for the players benefit. This gives Davis a better shot of being picked up and succeeding with another team.

I think it is pretty obvious that Davis was way behind Painter and Orlovsky in camp, and it was proven in St Louis.

The kid from Kentucky will probably be on the PS unless he does something stupid. He is a very interesting prospect from the looks of him, and the Colts will want to protect him now that they have a time investment with him. I think I will be watching the waiver wire over the next couple weeks to see if someone gets cut that would challenge Painter in an emergency starter capacity, because I don't think we will see Peyton in camp, and the Colts usually have 4, if not 5 QB's taking reps in camp. Now they are down to 3, which may not be good for the rest of the offensive prospects to get their reps in, especially the receivers, backs and TE's. Should be interesting.

One side comment, I was quite disappointed with the fact that Painter only got 2 series to play with, and even more disappointment in Coach Caldwell's reasoning that "the starter only gets a couple series" in the first preseason game formula.Obviously, Painter is not really (I hope) the starter, and more obviously he needs more seasoning if he is going to play against Houston on September 11. I am a big fan of Coach Caldwell, but that kind of rigidity is the stuff that makes Colts fans go nuts, and he should know that by now.

I think it is pretty obvious that Davis was way behind Painter and Orlovsky in camp, and it was proven in St Louis.

The kid from Kentucky will probably be on the PS unless he does something stupid. He is a very interesting prospect from the looks of him, and the Colts will want to protect him now that they have a time investment with him. I think I will be watching the waiver wire over the next couple weeks to see if someone gets cut that would challenge Painter in an emergency starter capacity, because I don't think we will see Peyton in camp, and the Colts usually have 4, if not 5 QB's taking reps in camp. Now they are down to 3, which may not be good for the rest of the offensive prospects to get their reps in, especially the receivers, backs and TE's. Should be interesting.

One side comment, I was quite disappointed with the fact that Painter only got 2 series to play with, and even more disappointment in Coach Caldwell's reasoning that "the starter only gets a couple series" in the first preseason game formula.Obviously, Painter is not really (I hope) the starter, and more obviously he needs more seasoning if he is going to play against Houston on September 11. I am a big fan of Coach Caldwell, but that kind of rigidity is the stuff that makes Colts fans go nuts, and he should know that by now.

So are you saying he should care what the fans think?

Heheh... but he's NOT the starter. I don't see the logic.

Painter plays awful and the other QB get cut. pretty much like last year (Brandstater)...

I don't get it either. I don't even see the point in preseason sometimes, especially when it comes to the offense. Its like the coaches made up their minds in camp. Why they gave Davis 1 series seems pointless. Should of just made him sit if that's the only chance they were going to give him.

I don't get it either. I don't even see the point in preseason sometimes, especially when it comes to the offense. Its like the coaches made up their minds in camp. Why they gave Davis 1 series seems pointless. Should of just made him sit if that's the only chance they were going to give him.

We don't see what happens behind the scenes. I imagine that the coaches sat in a room and were evaluating the team. When the QB coach was asked about Davis, he probably replied with "He's just not getting it. He's lost and I see no sign that he's going to get it anytime soon".

We have to remember that we have some 80+ Colts crowding the minds and facilities of the Colts camp. There will be constant expedited releases in the coming weeks.

So are you saying he should care what the fans think?

I think there should be an element of consideration to your fan base when you hit the field in a performance situation, heavily weighted toward what is best for the organization in the long run.

However, when the season ticket base, which is paying nearly $100 per seat for a preseason "exhibition", come to see a player that has been on payroll for over two full seasons,and have been told in the Colts media stream how well he is doing in practice by the likes of Reggie Wayne and Jeff Saturday, and are concerned about the health of the franchise player, and are expecting to see the progress from the back up as reported... two series is kind of deflating. Yes, the Head Coach should know better. I think Painter would be well served with more time to work as well, obviously.

I think there should be an element of consideration to your fan base when you hit the field in a performance situation, heavily weighted toward what is best for the organization in the long run.

However, when the season ticket base, which is paying nearly $100 per seat for a preseason "exhibition", come to see a player that has been on payroll for over two full seasons,and have been told in the Colts media stream how well he is doing in practice by the likes of Reggie Wayne and Jeff Saturday, and are concerned about the health of the franchise player, and are expecting to see the progress from the back up as reported... two series is kind of deflating. Yes, the Head Coach should know better. I think Painter would be well served with more time to work as well, obviously.

The last thing in the world I want is the coaching staff of my favorite team giving any kind of consideration to what the fans think. Any coach who does that will not be a coach for long.

The last thing in the world I want is the coaching staff of my favorite team giving any kind of consideration to what the fans think. Any coach who does that will not be a coach for long.

Good post and make a lot of sense. If the fans were coaching we would have had all the other teams rejects in the last few weeks. lol

When I was at camp a week and half ago there was a guy saying Davis was going to be our new backup QB. He was adamant about it. I told him he wouldn't see week 3 of preseason and he got kind of mad about it and proceeded to tell me why he was gonna be the new backup. I just had to laugh and shake my head.