Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL to hire replacement Refs?

MIColtsFan

The NFL made a seven-year proposal that offered increases of between 5 percent and 11 percent in wages per year. First-year officials who made an average of $78,000 in 2011 would earn more than $165,000 by the end of the new agreement. A 10-year veteran in 2011 who made $139,000 would get more than $200,000 in 2018.

I officially retract any arguments that I made in the past against the NFL hiring full-time referees and forcing them to participate in offseason training programs. Those look like full-time salaries to me. I usually don't make statements like this because it could be interpreted as jealousy, but that is definitely more than I make, and I work full time. If you're going to collect a full-time salary, you should work full time.

We're used to bad calls either way.

:lol:

but seriously, I was so excited for this upcoming season and now there might be scrub refs.. oi vey.. maybe it is just posturing on the NFL's part to get a deal moved along, maybe talks really are stalled.. I don't know, but I don't like it.

I wonder if scrub refs ,who know their time is short, will take bribes. Crappy officiating doesn't concern me as much because every team will have to deal with it. Leave it to me to see the bright side of things.

1st the NFL owners & players went through a labor/wage disagreement & now the zebras too? The Commissioner is gonna replace them with the pros with amateurs now? Apparently, a leopard can't changes it's stripes, but a zebra can...Who knew? I sure didn't. haha:lol:

http://sports.yahoo....02195--nfl.html

NO, not when the upcoming season was coming together in the perfect storm of axes to grind!

The offer on the table sounds reasonable to me in light of increase ref responsibilities. I wonder why they don't like it?

The NFL made a seven-year proposal that offered increases of between 5 percent and 11 percent in wages per year. First-year officials who made an average of $78,000 in 2011 would earn more than $165,000 by the end of the new agreement. A 10-year veteran in 2011 who made $139,000 would get more than $200,000 in 2018.

I wonder if scrub refs ,who know their time is short, will take bribes. Crappy officiating doesn't concern me as much because every team will have to deal with it. Leave it to me to see the bright side of things.

now that's a scary thought! yikes..

I'm not worried about scrub refs. They wouldn't hire nobodys off the street. They would be people will experience at different levels. I don't know what the whole beef is and I didn't even read the article because I don't care. It's part time work and that is GOOD money!

I'll do it!

Heck if those refs and Goodell do away with the 5 yard rule about cant touching a wide receiver and do something about defining what is a clear cut intentional helmet to helmet hit, then heck hire them right now

Did I just read that correctly, that the average ref last year makes 78,000 freakin dollars?

No, you didn't. It says that the average 1st-year ref made $78,000. I don't think there are many 1st-year refs in any given year, so that would lead me to believe that the overall average is actually higher than that.

No, you didn't. It says that the average 1st-year ref made $78,000. I don't think there are many 1st-year refs in any given year, so that would lead me to believe that the overall average is actually higher than that.

Heck where do I sign up/! and the bigger issue, why do refs make more money then many people that actually do real work such as people that work in nursing homes and teachers for example

I officially retract any arguments that I made in the past against the NFL hiring full-time referees and forcing them to participate in offseason training programs. Those look like full-time salaries to me. I usually don't make statements like this because it could be interpreted as jealousy, but that is definitely more than I make, and I work full time. If you're going to collect a full-time salary, you should work full time.

You also probably do not work for a billion dollar industry either and an important part of that industry either.

We thought the refs were bad that now are on strike, but just wait till we get college refs out there. Some of the worst calls I have ever seen have come from the college ranks. Maybe they can get some SEC refs out there and be corrupt and maybe even tackle a player like that one did a few years ago.

Unlike the players the refs have some power in this because come week three after some of the most horendous calls they will have some real leverage.