Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greatest CBs of All Time

21isSuperman

Who do you consider to be the greatest CBs of all time? On the NFL Top 100 of All Time list, the highest rank CB was Night Train Lane. With 14 picks in a 12 game season (a record that still stands) and one of the most feared tacklers of all time (he forced some rule changes due to his tackling style), one could easily argue that Night Train is #1. Many people would put Deion Sanders at #2, but Deion couldn't tackle. While he was an outstanding returner, all he could do was cover (though, in all fairness, he did that very well). Assume Revis continues playing the way he is now, blanketing the best receivers in the game today. Do you put Revis, who is much better at tackling but provides nothing in the return game, ahead of Deion?

Revis will probably never have 10+ picks in a season because QBs have simply stopped throwing towards him. For that reason, he may not have all the numbers, but he is still an excellent CB.

Personally, if Revis continues the way he is playing now, I take him over Deion. I would rather have a CB that can tackle than one that can return. If my CB can't tackle, I can't substitute his tackling ability. But if my CB can't return, I just replace him with a different returner. In my opinion, good returning has a lot to do with good blocking, but I digress. It should also be noted that I really don't like Deion, so if some of you think I'm insane for taking Revis over him, that would be a big contributor. What do you guys think?

For those wondering, Deion was #34 on the top 100 list, Rod Woodson was #41, and the highest ranked DB was Ronnie Lott at #11, but he mostly played safety, so I didn't include him. Also, the top 100 list has many flaws, so it's by no means the authoritative source on who the top players in NFL history are.

Think about it like this. Who had a bigger impact? Deoin or Revis? The simple answer is Deoin who had tons of interceptions (much more than Revis), and he brought them to the house. He scored touchdowns on defense and on special teams, something you can't really say about Darelle.

Now, tackling wise. Revis is better, but tackling isn't the most important thing as a CB and it doesn't have a huge impact. I would rather have an impact great coverage corner who can't tackle, then a mediocre coverage guy who can tackle. Some of the best CBs in the game today can't tackle (Nnambi, Asante...), and they are still considered at the top.

I put Deion way in front of Revis, but Revis is still relatively young and has a while before his career is over. He could catch up to Deion.

My answer to your original question is Night Train, with Deion coming in a close 2nd.

Easily Deion. I'm not even sure it can be compared. While Night Train and others were great, they didn't cover the way Deion did. When you can assault the WR like those guys could you simply can't compare cover skills, or lack thereof. Pushing someone off there route or manhandling them isn't in the same ball park as running stride for stride and out positioning angles the way Deion did. Deion was the best of all time. And Darrelle Revis is a verrrry far cry from Deion.

Andy246 brings up an excellent point. What quality is most important in a CB? Speed? Hands? Vision? Jumping routes? Taking the pigskin to the house? Or Tackling?

Deion Sanders during his prime with the 49ers & Dallas had 5 out the 6 qualities mentioned above in my original question. He sucked at tackling though. Just awful at it. He often made a "business decision" not to tackle & I despised him for that. Plus, as an NFL analyst, Deion is notorious for claiming that an athlete is inadequate, possesses no clutch gene, not tough enough, or a true play maker & then he will be their best buddy after they have won the SuperBowl. See the Manning brothers in 2006 & 2007. I bleeping hate that myself. It's ironic how he criticizes athletes for being saddled with injuries or a lack of production on the field when Deion didn't exactly set the world on fire as a member of either the Redskins or Ravens.

Rod Woodson was a beast during his Steelers & Ravens career. Plus, he wasn't so arrogant as Deion either. Revis Island is next. You must tackle in my book. No "business decisions" allowed or I will cut you. Ronnie Lott was never afraid to drop the hammer & bring the pain either.

Think about it like this. Who had a bigger impact? Deoin or Revis? The simple answer is Deoin who had tons of interceptions (much more than Revis), and he brought them to the house. He scored touchdowns on defense and on special teams, something you can't really say about Darelle.

Now, tackling wise. Revis is better, but tackling isn't the most important thing as a CB and it doesn't have a huge impact. I would rather have an impact great coverage corner who can't tackle, then a mediocre coverage guy who can tackle. Some of the best CBs in the game today can't tackle (Nnambi, Asante...), and they are still considered at the top.

I put Deion way in front of Revis, but Revis is still relatively young and has a while before his career is over. He could catch up to Deion.

My answer to your original question is Night Train, with Deion coming in a close 2nd.

The numbers are skewed because today, teams have simply stopped throwing towards Revis. He is the best corner in the league, but he will only have a few interceptions each year.

Taking anyone still in the league out of the picture (though my top three right now are Champ, Nnamdi, Revis, and Woodson, in that order), and I go with Deion. He's the most dynamic and impactful corner I can remember watching, with or without tackling (Jacob Lacey averages more than twice as many tackles per season than Deion did; tackles aren't a good stat to judge a cornerback by). Then Rod Woodson, who would shut anyone down, but often with more physical play that isn't allowed anymore.

I'm a bit perplexed at how some people can put Deion so high without even acknowledging Green, who was faster, had comparable coverage ability (albeit with a slightly lesser propensity for jumping passes), and actually could tackle with the best of them. I guess it's just a matter of personality (both characters are actually somewhat unlikable but Deion is far more boisterous and out there).

I will say that I have a hard time arguing with anyone who backs Woodson or Lane.

I'm a bit perplexed at how some people can put Deion so high without even acknowledging Green, who was faster, had comparable coverage ability (albeit with a slightly lesser propensity for jumping passes), and actually could tackle with the best of them. I guess it's just a matter of personality (both characters are actually somewhat unlikable but Deion is far more boisterous and out there).

I will say that I have a hard time arguing with anyone who backs Woodson or Lane.

Maybe you're biased... ;)

I vaguely remember Green,not as well as I remember other corners after him. I do remember his pick of Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl, but that's probably the only play I remember from him. And I don't think he was as dynamic a player as Deion was. I could be wrong.

Either way, like I said in my first post, I think Deion is the most impactful corner I remember watching. I definitely acknowledge that I'm not taking every player in history into consideration.

Sure Greene was good, but comparable to Deion?! Not even close. Deion had 22 TDs to Greens 8. Green played 20yrs to Deion's 12. 6AllPros to 1....Greens an All Timer, but Deion. Legend.

Although as a fan, I'd be pretty hard pressed not to take Woodson. Loved the way that guy played.

Who do you consider to be the greatest CBs of all time? On the NFL Top 100 of All Time list, the highest rank CB was Night Train Lane. With 14 picks in a 12 game season (a record that still stands) and one of the most feared tacklers of all time (he forced some rule changes due to his tackling style), one could easily argue that Night Train is #1. Many people would put Deion Sanders at #2, but Deion couldn't tackle. While he was an outstanding returner, all he could do was cover (though, in all fairness, he did that very well). Assume Revis continues playing the way he is now, blanketing the best receivers in the game today. Do you put Revis, who is much better at tackling but provides nothing in the return game, ahead of Deion?

Revis will probably never have 10+ picks in a season because QBs have simply stopped throwing towards him. For that reason, he may not have all the numbers, but he is still an excellent CB.

Personally, if Revis continues the way he is playing now, I take him over Deion. I would rather have a CB that can tackle than one that can return. If my CB can't tackle, I can't substitute his tackling ability. But if my CB can't return, I just replace him with a different returner. In my opinion, good returning has a lot to do with good blocking, but I digress. It should also be noted that I really don't like Deion, so if some of you think I'm insane for taking Revis over him, that would be a big contributor. What do you guys think?

For those wondering, Deion was #34 on the top 100 list, Rod Woodson was #41, and the highest ranked DB was Ronnie Lott at #11, but he mostly played safety, so I didn't include him. Also, the top 100 list has many flaws, so it's by no means the authoritative source on who the top players in NFL history are.

Willie Brown..Oakalnd Raiders in the 70s

Shut down most everyone....They stopped throwing the ball his way

Easily Deion. I'm not even sure it can be compared. While Night Train and others were great, they didn't cover the way Deion did. When you can assault the WR like those guys could you simply can't compare cover skills, or lack thereof. Pushing someone off there route or manhandling them isn't in the same ball park as running stride for stride and out positioning angles the way Deion did. Deion was the best of all time. And Darrelle Revis is a verrrry far cry from Deion.

Trav..

Dick 'Night Train' Lane is the great untold story of pro football....

...a factory worker....a virtual walkon who intercepted 14 passes in a 12-game season..(stilll the record) .in an era whan the ball wasnt thrown that much

...all pro..6 times/.

He'd be thrown out of the sport today becaues he tackled everybody head high...and just crushed them.

Ripped their helmets off..He's the reason for the face mask rule.....

...,a big guy..6-1 195....

an orphan raised by a woman would found him in the trash...

7th husband of a great jazz singer Dinah Washington..

The greatest story never told.

Maybe you're biased... ;)

Probably... but I was also a fairly big fan of Deion as a player even when he was in Dallas.

I vaguely remember Green,not as well as I remember other corners after him. I do remember his pick of Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl, but that's probably the only play I remember from him. And I don't think he was as dynamic a player as Deion was. I could be wrong.

Either way, like I said in my first post, I think Deion is the most impactful corner I remember watching. I definitely acknowledge that I'm not taking every player in history into consideration.

Deion was used in more dynamic ways but he wasn't a more dynamic talent. For example, Green was a very dangerous returner but he hardly ever was asked to do it. He had a major knack for coming up big in big game situations as well. And he could tackle.

Sure Greene was good, but comparable to Deion?! Not even close. Deion had 22 TDs to Greens 8. Green played 20yrs to Deion's 12. 6AllPros to 1....Greens an All Timer, but Deion. Legend.

Although as a fan, I'd be pretty hard pressed not to take Woodson. Loved the way that guy played.

If we're talking about greatest CORNERBACKS of all time then you'd probably have to toss out about 12 of Deion's touchdowns because they had nothing to do with playing defense (if you want to talk about greatest all-around players then I'll agree that Deion has a major statistical edge). Deion also played 14 years, not 12.

If we're talking about greatest CORNERBACKS of all time then you'd probably have to toss out about 12 of Deion's touchdowns because they had nothing to do with playing defense (if you want to talk about greatest all-around players then I'll agree that Deion has a major statistical edge). Deion also played 14 years, not 12.

Throw out 9. And your right. I was looking at the yrs he scored. Which was 12.

Didn't Deion win a World Series and Super Bowl in the same year?

Deion was used in more dynamic ways but he wasn't a more dynamic talent. For example, Green was a very dangerous returner but he hardly ever was asked to do it. He had a major knack for coming up big in big game situations as well. And he could tackle.

Reading on Green, it was obvious that he was dangerous. I don't know why you wouldn't use such a good returner, but whatever; Gibbs was funny that way. And he definitely came up big on a regular basis. I don't care that he could tackle, as that's about 7th on my list of cornerback criteria, although it does speak to his ability and contributions.

As an aside, I don't think the "Deion couldn't tackle" angle is entirely accurate. I think Deion purposely avoided sacrificing his body to tackle, but he also put that much more of a premium on keeping the ball out of the receiver's hands so that he wouldn't have to tackle. That's smart, and he was very, very good at it. The whole tackle issue is kind of nonsense to me.

Just want to reiterate that I'm much more familiar with Sanders than I am with Green, so I'm not trying to take anything away from Green. But based on my limited knowledge and exposure, Deion was the best corner I remember.

"Night Train" was great, but as others have pointed out, he would not be the same player with the rules of today's NFL. And to compare contemporary players with him, you'd have to allow Revis to rip people's heads off.

If you've never seen his work, here's a sampling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPm-6ZlTM5o

Good stuff, but I'm guessing this guy caused a lot of players to have health problems well after their careers were over!

Throw out 9. And your right. I was looking at the yrs he scored. Which was 12.

Didn't Deion win a World Series and Super Bowl in the same year?

He had 9 kickoff and punt return TDs in addition to 3 receiving TDs.

No arguing he was a phenomenal all-around athlete.

Reading on Green, it was obvious that he was dangerous. I don't know why you wouldn't use such a good returner, but whatever; Gibbs was funny that way. And he definitely came up big on a regular basis. I don't care that he could tackle, as that's about 7th on my list of cornerback criteria, although it does speak to his ability and contributions.

As an aside, I don't think the "Deion couldn't tackle" angle is entirely accurate. I think Deion purposely avoided sacrificing his body to tackle, but he also put that much more of a premium on keeping the ball out of the receiver's hands so that he wouldn't have to tackle. That's smart, and he was very, very good at it. The whole tackle issue is kind of nonsense to me.

Just want to reiterate that I'm much more familiar with Sanders than I am with Green, so I'm not trying to take anything away from Green. But based on my limited knowledge and exposure, Deion was the best corner I remember.

Gibbs always had enough talent at every position in the 80s to not have to push guys into more action than was necessary. Deion almost certainly wouldn't have returned kicks or played on offense had he played on the teams Green did.

It's fair to say that Deion was more conscious of not sacrificing his body as a tackler and did well enough just weakly shoving guys out of bounds but the tackling thing is still pretty critically important for any defensive player. The simple fact of the matter was that the diminutive Green (5'9", 179 lbs) played with higher effort once the completion had been made than his rather large counterpart (6'1", 198 pounds) and still was one of the most durable players to ever play the game. Neither player gave up a lot of catches to begin with, of course, and Deion was a particularly dangerous guy to throw at because he had length on top of elite speed.

Give Green that same 6'1" frame, give him more opportunities as a returner, and I think he flat out out-does Deion in every aspect of the game. Things being what they are, though, the two should be regarded as roughly even talent-wise.

Another reason Green didn't return kicks is that they had a HOF(should be) KR/PR in Brian Mitchell who was rarely more than a part time back and full time PR/KR.

I'd also take Everson Walls over Deion Sanders as a CB.

Let's be honest. If Green was as flashy and me-me-me as Deion, he would be regarded much higher than he is.

"Night Train" was great, but as others have pointed out, he would not be the same player with the rules of today's NFL. And to compare contemporary players with him, you'd have to allow Revis to rip people's heads off.

If you've never seen his work, here's a sampling:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPm-6ZlTM5o

Good stuff, but I'm guessing this guy caused a lot of players to have health problems well after their careers were over!

No doubt....the legend is...he brought pain even the Saints wouldnt pay for.

Another reason Green didn't return kicks is that they had a HOF(should be) KR/PR in Brian Mitchell who was rarely more than a part time back and full time PR/KR.

There was a period in the late 80s where the Skins didn't have anyone special returning kicks but, yeah, there was no need to play an older Green there with one of the most reliable return men ever around in Mitchell. Mike Nelms also had a few great years returning at the beginning of Green's career, too.

There was a period in the late 80s where the Skins didn't have anyone special returning kicks but, yeah, there was no need to play an older Green there with one of the most reliable return men ever around in Mitchell. Mike Nelms also had a few great years returning at the beginning of Green's career, too.

Nelms was a stud returning kicks too.

Of course back in Green's early days they had a lightning fast punter that could give a race in the 40.