Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will "Mentor" Luck?

King Colt

It is a big advantage to have a seasoned QB to mentor a rookie and apparently the Colts don't agree. Anyone with 10 years exp. would do. He would not have to be a hall of famer rather, just a vet to help him with stuff not on paper. It is scary to think Luck is on his own when for a few dollars more they could bring in several to chose from guys to work with him.

Manning or Saturday would have been ideal. But Bruce Arians has a good history of developing QBs (he was Peyton's first QB coach in the NFL). Wayne will probably help a lot too. And Clyde Christensen worked with Peyton for a few years, so he could give Luck a few pointers that helped Peyton. I'm not worried about Luck's development.

Manning or Saturday would have been ideal. But Bruce Arians has a good history of developing QBs (he was Peyton's first QB coach in the NFL). Wayne will probably help a lot too. And Clyde Christensen worked with Peyton for a few years, so he could give Luck a few pointers that helped Peyton. I'm not worried about Luck's development.

True, but it's just not the same as having another quarterback, another guy who is right at Luck's level/position who can give pointers in places that others just do not understand. Still, I think Luck will be fine...His intelligence and football I.Q. should make up for the absence of a veteran.

Stanton has been in the league several years. He's no world beater, but he has done well at times. He's also gotten to see Stafford who looks like an up and comer.

As far as a veteran QB is concerned, he is what we have. He's been in the league long enough to at least help Luck get acclimated to life in the NFL. As for the rest of it, I imagine that from what we've heard of Luck, he'll be a self starter more or less. In other words, he'll push himself harder than anyone else could.

Im not sure if making our #1 overall pick sit a few seasons would be good anyway, Aaron Rodgers is the exception not the norm but my mindset falls more along the lines of learning by doing and being hands on

This:

MT: What about reports that the Colts are considering signing Byron Leftwichto mentor Luck?

MOORE: Andrew Luck doesn’t need a mentor. I’ve never bought into the theory that you learn by watching. I think all that stuff is really overrated. Is he going to make mistakes? Yeah, who hasn’t? But I know Andrew’s a strong enough person that he’s going to handle the comparisons [to Manning], and he’ll handle it perfect.

Arians & Christensen will...

Luck also had an ex-colt mentor him at Stanford, and Andrew will see his College coaches name in the ring of honor at every home game...

That plus vets like Reggie will suffice...

needing a QB with 10 plus years to mentor a rookie is nonsense...

Like Darkhorse said, if the vet was any good they would be playing themselves...

Im not sure if making our #1 overall pick sit a few seasons would be good anyway, Aaron Rodgers is the exception not the norm but my mindset falls more along the lines of learning by doing and being hands on

I don't think that the op is referring to this. The op is referring to a vet that Andrew can lean on for information. Someone who can help him develop, and learn, and take it all in.

Sit a few seasons? No, that isn't a mentor. A mentor helps a person learn, he doesn't do the job for the person.

That, to me, is what coaches are for.

While that is mostly a correct assumption, a coach teaches. A mentor is someone, in the NFL sense, is a person who is leading by example. You can't lead if you don't do. It isn't at all uncommon for a team to take a 1st overall pick at QB and pair him with a veteran backup alla Matt Stafford and Shaun Hill.

That's not at all to say it's required, but it seems to be a wise idea to give a rookie an example to follow. Someone who has been in the NFL a while and can help the rookie acclimate. A coach won't necessarily do that.

Again, it's not a necessity, but it isn't a terrible idea either. In the case of Manning, after a while he was a known quantity, and his understudies were there to learn from him and be a backup when needed. In the case of Luck, he's going to be a rookie, and an understudy of the NFL QB position. Perhaps having a veteran QB for him to scour information from won't be a bad idea.

IMO, as we already have Stanton, we're fine. He's not a 30 year old veteran, but he's experienced the starting position, and the NFL QB position for the last 3-4 years. He'll be someone for Luck to bounce ideas off of.

Luck in the future will time travel backwards and mentor himself

Ten years & 2 Superbowl victories later. Andrew Luck says to his earlier self: "Why didn't you tell me to buy a razor so I didn't like Chewbacca's brother from Star Wars?!! :lol:

It is a big advantage to have a seasoned QB to mentor a rookie and apparently the Colts don't agree. Anyone with 10 years exp. would do. He would not have to be a hall of famer rather, just a vet to help him with stuff not on paper. It is scary to think Luck is on his own when for a few dollars more they could bring in several to chose from guys to work with him.

I agree with the Colts. Why would it be such an advantage? What magical info could such a player provide. I don't agree that some random vet QB would be any advantage at all. What would that provide for him that he can't get from the QB coach, or offensive coordinator, or from his dad or a family friend, or Jim Harbaugh for that matter? I don't care about the money, but it seems to me it would be a waste of a roster spot ... More valuable to have another skill player or OL ... l think that's much more likely to help Luck than another vet QB to hold his hand, which he doesn't need, and hang around with no real role other than to mentor Luck ... That seems more likely to create problems than solve them.

He has an NFL QB for a father, has worked with the Mannings at their passing camp and was coached by another great NFL QB (In Colts circles anyways) in Jim Harbaugh. I'd say he's had a lot of mentors over the years. The kid is ready to lead right now.

While that is mostly a correct assumption, a coach teaches. A mentor is someone, in the NFL sense, is a person who is leading by example. You can't lead if you don't do. It isn't at all uncommon for a team to take a 1st overall pick at QB and pair him with a veteran backup alla Matt Stafford and Shaun Hill.

That's not at all to say it's required, but it seems to be a wise idea to give a rookie an example to follow. Someone who has been in the NFL a while and can help the rookie acclimate. A coach won't necessarily do that.

Again, it's not a necessity, but it isn't a terrible idea either. In the case of Manning, after a while he was a known quantity, and his understudies were there to learn from him and be a backup when needed. In the case of Luck, he's going to be a rookie, and an understudy of the NFL QB position. Perhaps having a veteran QB for him to scour information from won't be a bad idea.

IMO, as we already have Stanton, we're fine. He's not a 30 year old veteran, but he's experienced the starting position, and the NFL QB position for the last 3-4 years. He'll be someone for Luck to bounce ideas off of.

Myth

Stanton has been in the league several years. He's no world beater, but he has done well at times. He's also gotten to see Stafford who looks like an up and comer.

As far as a veteran QB is concerned, he is what we have. He's been in the league long enough to at least help Luck get acclimated to life in the NFL. As for the rest of it, I imagine that from what we've heard of Luck, he'll be a self starter more or less. In other words, he'll push himself harder than anyone else could.

Just like Peyton.

What would Peyton be without having Kelly Holcomb as a mentor?

Mark Brunnel seems like someone who would be a pretty good mentor. He did wonders for Sanchez!!

In other words, this whole mentor thing is a myth.

I'll do it... I play a mean game of two hand touch with the boys every now and then so I think I am qualified to do it.

I think that Luck will have to rely on the coaching staff and Drew Stanton's 6 games of experience to teach him the ropes of the NFL. He will be out there and he wilted to be a quick learner. I sure hope he is smart enough to figure it out quick enough so he doesn't get killed.

Of course the best mentor left the team but I am guessing that they still have the game films for him to study and learn from. If they use Peyton game film as a study guide Andrew Luck will learn from the best without any Priceless Pep Talks!

I'll do it... I play a mean game of two hand touch with the boys every now and then so I think I am qualified to do it.

I think that Luck will have to rely on the coaching staff and Drew Stanton's 6 games of experience to teach him the ropes of the NFL. He will be out there and he wilted to be a quick learner. I sure hope he is smart enough to figure it out quick enough so he doesn't get killed.

Of course the best mentor left the team but I am guessing that they still have the game films for him to study and learn from. If they use Peyton game film as a study guide Andrew Luck will learn from the best without any Priceless Pep Talks!

Luck's dad was a backup QB from the then Houston Oilers & Luck did attend several Peyton & Eli Manning QB camps. He already knows what to expect. He knows exactly what's coming down the turnpike. Luck with be fine with the people on the staff & on the roster in INDY.

Yes Luck will be fine,He does have one skill PM doesnt,the ability to run,this kid is more ready to play than some think,Dont get me wrong tho he cant walk on water,only been one person for that one lol.The staff and managment had no intentions of sending a sacraficial lamb to the wolves.He will hold his own!

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way.Aaron Rodgers did not come out of college as the best qb the past ten or so years Andrew Luck did so he is comepletely different then Rodgers and in a different situation when Colts draft QB's they draft only the best and they put them in there from jump start because they are that good.Peyton was sent to the doghouse Andrew Luck will to that's how the Colts do it when they did P.Manning didn't do nothing, but change how the position is play today and oh yeah become in my opinion the greatest quarterback ever.U know how many Peyton wannabes there are in the NFL plenty and Tom Brady is one of them he's not Peyton! Any way the Colts need to let all there young talent play to see how they are going to build this next era of Colts please let the young talented players play see what they got forget these old u to be's veterans they only going to delay there development prime example Brackett stay too long Pat should have been the MLB for the Colts now he's the future and only goint to get better!

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way.Aaron Rodgers did not come out of college as the best qb the past ten or so years Andrew Luck did so he is comepletely different then Rodgers and in a different situation when Colts draft QB's they draft only the best and they put them in there from jump start because they are that good.Peyton was sent to the doghouse Andrew Luck will to that's how the Colts do it. When they did P.Manning didn't do nothing, but change how the position is played today and oh yeah become in my opinion the greatest quarterback ever.U know how many Peyton wannabes there are in the NFL plenty and Tom Brady is one of them he's not Peyton! Any way the Colts need to let all there young talent play to see how they are going to build this next era of Colts please! Let the young talented players play see what they got forget these old use to be's veterans they only going to delay there development a prime example: Brackett stayed too long Pat Angerer should have been the MLB for the Colts when they first put him in at MLB he showed the instincts of how the position supposed 2be played now he's the future and only going to get better!

Pat Angerer has the potential to play like a linebacker that he reminds me of who i believe in my opinion is the best linebacker the past 7years Brian Urlacher of the Chicago Bears the only difference i see is there size. Pat will be the next Brian Urlacher in the NFL shorter, but faster.He already has the instincts u know nose for the ball the coverage skills Urlacher has Pat will get later with time and more experience. Urlacher is to the Bears what Peyton was to the Colts the glue that holds all the pieces together Pat Angerer will have that same impact for the Colts defense as he continue to develop into a star linebacker and the Colts will have a unique 3-4 hybrid defense because of him just like the Bears have a unique defense in Chicago because of Urlacher.

Myth

Not really. What works for some doesn't always work for others. What doesn't work for some may work for others.

I could see a number of young QBs benefiting from having a veteran there to bounce ideas off of. QBs that have actually played the game in this decade may even have insight on certain tells of the opposing defense. IE - If you see this, expect this.

I recall seeing several times in years past where the sideline QB, Jim Sorgi, was jotting down notes (insert clipboard jokes here) and giving Peyton tips from the sidelines. Personally, I don't so much see Stanton as a mentor, but as someone who is hungry for a starting role. He'll push Luck, and Luck will push back. Stanton has a slim to none chance of seeing the field without an injury to our starter, but he will be a valuable asset on the sideline, just as Sorgi was. Like it or not, Sorgi may've been responsible for a handful of Peyton's successful plays by picking up on things Peyton can't while on the field. That is not to say that he deserves credit for those plays, but simply that he contributed even though he never saw the field.

Coaches coach. Veteran players lead by example, and give rookies something to compare themself against. Luck will likely want to work twice as hard as Stanton knowing that he is several steps behind in being acclimated to the NFL game. I have no doubt he'll catch up and surpass Stanton in no time, but the presence of a QB with NFL experience behind our #1 overall pick does nothing but improve his progression, IMO.

Arians & Christensen will...

Luck also had an ex-colt mentor him at Stanford, and Andrew will see his College coaches name in the ring of honor at every home game...

That plus vets like Reggie will suffice...

needing a QB with 10 plus years to mentor a rookie is nonsense...

Like Darkhorse said, if the vet was any good they would be playing themselves...

I am glad you brought up Reggie's name I think that was the big plus to resigning him he can help bring luck along as well. Peyton still talks about how important Faulk was to his development as a rookie so other vets like Reggie on offense can be a huge help.