Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So AMPED for the upcoming season!

bluephantom87

I know the Colts will take their lumps but the foundation has been laid to start climbing the ladder again. FINALLY a defense that will play in attack mode and come from any and every angle!! Not saying they will be the 85 Bears by no means because as Chuck stated they still need some pieces on D but they are headed in the right direction. Was so tired of seeing a passive, backpeddling, hoping that Freeney or Mathis could make it to the qb while giving up long drives, yardage and pts. I know some might find it hard watching 18 with the Broncos but Luck is the future of the franchise like Peyton was before him. Luck has all the intangibles to be successful but like ALL the great qbs before him; he must go out and prove it in the NFL. Only time will tell but I think the Colts have struck gold once again!!

Definatley agree!!! There is so much to be excited about and so many things I wanna see. Its killing me right now not having any football to watch. I dont know what to do with myself.

Man, I feel you. I've been watching my Recordings of our 2 wins last year vs Texans & Titans. I'm slowly getting bored with them though lol. I wanna watch Andrew Luck throw in a Colts Uniform, not Orlovsky (No Disrespect to him though)

i believe we can be better then any team we had with manning and its just one word. defense. for years, the colts have focused on offense and for years it ended with countless playoff letdowns and only one championship and why because our defensive philosophy was flawed because it relied on peyton putting up alot of points and freeney and mathis getting to the qb, but what happens if peyton isnt have a good day or freeney or mathis cant get to the qb or someone gets hurt well then you have the poor excuse of a defense that we have had for the last 14 years. its amazing how no one in the colts front office ever realized what would happen if the colts actually had a defense that could match their offense. its sad how we are just now realizing that problem now that peyton is gone and thats why the colts will be more successful then any previous colts team. offense still has weapons and we are finally letting loose our defense.

i believe we can be better then any team we had with manning and its just one word. defense. for years, the colts have focused on offense and for years it ended with countless playoff letdowns and only one championship and why because our defensive philosophy was flawed because it relied on peyton putting up alot of points and freeney and mathis getting to the qb, but what happens if peyton isnt have a good day or freeney or mathis cant get to the qb or someone gets hurt well then you have the poor excuse of a defense that we have had for the last 14 years. its amazing how no one in the colts front office ever realized what would happen if the colts actually had a defense that could match their offense. its sad how we are just now realizing that problem now that peyton is gone and thats why the colts will be more successful then any previous colts team. offense still has weapons and we are finally letting loose our defense.

You make a good point there. I would definatley like to know where thier head was on that as well. And what they were thinking about Peyton Manning being Immortal so therefore we can totally neglect training a replacement or at least decent backup. I hope they learned from this past season that they better not do that with Luck. We shall see.

The excitement around here is simply insane when you look at the changes we have made.....However with that being said, I almost feel like I am in the midst of something special. Many people outside of Indy will say we are simply being unrealistic but minus Manning everyone else was replaceable and have been pretty much replaced.

A buddy of mine on the team pointed out an interesting point to me. Before Grigson and Coach P, there were very limited squat racks and bench machines in the weightroom. He said guys traditionally would hit the weightroom ofcourse, but it was far from the level in which guys are expected to workout now. He mentioned the intensity in which our players are lifting and the cuss words and motivational tactics used in the weightroom that would have never been used before.

So if are wondering if I am excited about the use of cuss words in our weightroom, the answer is YES... I am looking forward to some coaches fired up on the sidelines. I am looking forward to our players playing with a little more emotion. Besides our #12 will have a firey on the field demeanor that I am looking forward to see.

I too am one that believes we squandered the Manning years (relative to post season winning potential). It is easy to say we were too focused on Offense and neglected the defense, but you have to look below the surface to find that there is more to it. There is nothing wrong with the defensive philosophy the Colts chose - Dungy's D is a proven championship caliber defense. The problem with it is that it is just a dependent on a few players being studs as our offense was - and when Manning is your QB, you will always have to feed that animal first or risk diminishing your greatest weapon of all (see the Favre years when he had nobody to throw to). Even the Pats have had to make trade-offs in recent years due to salary cap investments on the offensive side - just the nature of the design of the salary cap era. To dominate with the Tampa 2 as the Bucs did and the Bears have, you have to have very rare talent on the D line (Warren Sapp, John Randle, Tommie Harris in his prime) and an edge rusher that is very disruptive without any special scheming, a hall of fame stud or two at LB (particulary Will and MLB) and really good safetys (one of which is a run support stud). The Colts drafted high enough to get a premium D Line talent only once (D Free @ #11 in 2002). We developed a few good LB's but nothing HOF worthy by far. It all clicked pretty well in 2005, then the playoff Superbowl run as well as in 2007 (Sander DPOY) but was not sustainable without some interior D Line talent (had McFarland and Simon been long term solutions and Sanders stayed healthy, the story might read very differently). In short, you either need to be incredibly lucky to have some HOF level talent develop or weight your cap commitments toward long term studs at each level of the defense (that stay healthy enough) and let them carry your team for the Tampa 2 to work. The Bucs proved that there is very little an offense can do to breach the Tampa 2 if you have the right players, and look what they did to the greatest show on turf in the 2000 playoffs....it is just too player dependent for a QB driven team.

Therefore, my feelings are that a QB driven team needs a defensive scheme less reliant on exact fits at hard to find positions when you rarely, if ever, draft high enough to find them. Polian was right about not being able to find DT's outside the top 10 that he wanted...he just failed to realize that was going to require him to change defensive schemes or waste the peak potential of the Manning years.

The excitement around here is simply insane when you look at the changes we have made.....However with that being said, I almost feel like I am in the midst of something special. Many people outside of Indy will say we are simply being unrealistic but minus Manning everyone else was replaceable and have been pretty much replaced.

A buddy of mine on the team pointed out an interesting point to me. Before Grigson and Coach P, there were very limited squat racks and bench machines in the weightroom. He said guys traditionally would hit the weightroom ofcourse, but it was far from the level in which guys are expected to workout now. He mentioned the intensity in which our players are lifting and the cuss words and motivational tactics used in the weightroom that would have never been used before.

So if are wondering if I am excited about the use of cuss words in our weightroom, the answer is YES... I am looking forward to some coaches fired up on the sidelines. I am looking forward to our players playing with a little more emotion. Besides our #12 will have a firey on the field demeanor that I am looking forward to see.

We wondered why our guys kept getting hurt. Nothing can replace slinging the steel. Bench, dead lift, squat is still the main building blocks. I used to lift and compete in power lifting, loved banging the weights with my bros in that environment. Was real weird going to the local gym. Was squatting 500 making some noise and they came and tried to tell me to keep the noise down, lol. I told them to kick mud!

We needed a whole change of culture. Non offense to dungey and the quite strength. Just not me, I'm more of the ravens, steelers. Smash mouth type of guy. And love that's what we are building here!

I too am one that believes we squandered the Manning years (relative to post season winning potential). It is easy to say we were too focused on Offense and neglected the defense, but you have to look below the surface to find that there is more to it. There is nothing wrong with the defensive philosophy the Colts chose - Dungy's D is a proven championship caliber defense. The problem with it is that it is just a dependent on a few players being studs as our offense was - and when Manning is your QB, you will always have to feed that animal first or risk diminishing your greatest weapon of all (see the Favre years when he had nobody to throw to). Even the Pats have had to make trade-offs in recent years due to salary cap investments on the offensive side - just the nature of the design of the salary cap era. To dominate with the Tampa 2 as the Bucs did and the Bears have, you have to have very rare talent on the D line (Warren Sapp, John Randle, Tommie Harris in his prime) and an edge rusher that is very disruptive without any special scheming, a hall of fame stud or two at LB (particulary Will and MLB) and really good safetys (one of which is a run support stud). The Colts drafted high enough to get a premium D Line talent only once (D Free @ #11 in 2002). We developed a few good LB's but nothing HOF worthy by far. It all clicked pretty well in 2005, then the playoff Superbowl run as well as in 2007 (Sander DPOY) but was not sustainable without some interior D Line talent (had McFarland and Simon been long term solutions and Sanders stayed healthy, the story might read very differently). In short, you either need to be incredibly lucky to have some HOF level talent develop or weight your cap commitments toward long term studs at each level of the defense (that stay healthy enough) and let them carry your team for the Tampa 2 to work. The Bucs proved that there is very little an offense can do to breach the Tampa 2 if you have the right players, and look what they did to the greatest show on turf in the 2000 playoffs....it is just too player dependent for a QB driven team.

Therefore, my feelings are that a QB driven team needs a defensive scheme less reliant on exact fits at hard to find positions when you rarely, if ever, draft high enough to find them. Polian was right about not being able to find DT's outside the top 10 that he wanted...he just failed to realize that was going to require him to change defensive schemes or waste the peak potential of the Manning years.

but after years of the defense holding us back you would think we would have done something to change it. yes it is a champion winning defense but unless you have the type of players to run that defense its not gonna work.

As a brand new follower of NFL football and a brand new colts fan i can't begin to tell you guys how excited i am for the new season to start. i started getting into it not long after February... all the tweets , all the chaos of my friends booking into hotels so they could watch SUPERBOWL weekend, it got me all psyched up and excited... so i ended up asking my cousins out in simi valley who they supported and so i was introduced to the colts world. really gutted about missing out on Manning and i know i've missed so many great games which i'd love to see, but i'm really pumped and excited to see what Luck and the new guys can do!!

GO COLTS!!!!

As a brand new follower of NFL football and a brand new colts fan i can't begin to tell you guys how excited i am for the new season to start. i started getting into it not long after February... all the tweets , all the chaos of my friends booking into hotels so they could watch SUPERBOWL weekend, it got me all psyched up and excited... so i ended up asking my cousins out in simi valley who they supported and so i was introduced to the colts world. really gutted about missing out on Manning and i know i've missed so many great games which i'd love to see, but i'm really pumped and excited to see what Luck and the new guys can do!!

GO COLTS!!!!

welcome to the colts forum

Yep. There's definitely an excitement watching your team grow. That's why I love watching the preseason games as well. Watching the young guys that might be the cornerstone of team develop is awesome. For me it's not about wins or loses this year, I just want some steady improvement and in a few seasons we can sit in for another decade of domination. Gonna be sweet...

GO COLTS!!!!

We all began as new Colts fans once. Welcome to the excitement.

He mentioned the intensity in which our players are lifting and the cuss words and motivational tactics used in the weightroom that would have never been used before. So if are wondering if I am excited about the use of cuss words in our weightroom, the answer is YES.

Yeah, No. The notion of the addition of cuss words somehow being a net positive for the operations of any group of individuals is to me...kinda sad. And the weight room has been in the works for some time...well before Grigs or Pagano were a part of the organization.

Put off all....filthy communication out of your mouth - Colossians 3:8
Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully. - Spencer Kimball

I know the Colts will take their lumps but the foundation has been laid to start climbing the ladder again. FINALLY a defense that will play in attack mode and come from any and every angle!! Not saying they will be the 85 Bears by no means because as Chuck stated they still need some pieces on D but they are headed in the right direction. Was so tired of seeing a passive, backpeddling, hoping that Freeney or Mathis could make it to the qb while giving up long drives, yardage and pts. I know some might find it hard watching 18 with the Broncos but Luck is the future of the franchise like Peyton was before him. Luck has all the intangibles to be successful but like ALL the great qbs before him; he must go out and prove it in the NFL. Only time will tell but I think the Colts have struck gold once again!!

^^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^^

As a brand new follower of NFL football and a brand new colts fan i can't begin to tell you guys how excited i am for the new season to start. i started getting into it not long after February... all the tweets , all the chaos of my friends booking into hotels so they could watch SUPERBOWL weekend, it got me all psyched up and excited... so i ended up asking my cousins out in simi valley who they supported and so i was introduced to the colts world. really gutted about missing out on Manning and i know i've missed so many great games which i'd love to see, but i'm really pumped and excited to see what Luck and the new guys can do!!GO COLTS!!!!

Great post. Welcome aboard.

Yeah, No. The notion of the addition of cuss words somehow being a net positive for the operations of any group of individuals is to me...kinda sad. And the weight room has been in the works for some time...well before Grigs or Pagano were a part of the organization.

Brian... I am a big fan of your posts and I like your blog, but I have to respectfully disagree with your general premise about profanity. I don't know whether or not it helps in the weight room, but "colorful language" is not innately profane. They are all just words that have been deemed improper by the most uptight among us for arbitrary reasons. The "filthy communication" referred to in your Bible quote is in a completely different context (and even a different language) than the "cuss words" the poster was referring to. I take issue with the use of the term "profanity" with regard to the four letter words that we utter when trying to most accurately express our emotions. There is something to be said for the proper use of coarse language, but the outright dismissal of it is meaningless. Words are merely symbols that reflect our surroundings, feelings, and perspectives. "Foul" language has its place (any one of us who has sat through a brutal Colts playoff loss can attest to this) and removing it does not in any way remove the sentiments, actions, and objects that it represents.

I think that you may have a point about the locker room, but it is submerged beneath the prejudice that you have exhibited against the inevitable expansion (and thus, improvement) of the acceptable lexicon.

Brian... I am a big fan of your posts and I like your blog

Uh oh... :)

I don't know whether or not it helps in the weight room, but "colorful language" is not innately profane.

He did not reference colorful language. He said cussing.

They are all just words that have been deemed improper by the most uptight among us for arbitrary reasons.

Nice try but no. Unless of course you're claiming the administrators and moderators of this website are amongst the most uptight.

The "filthy communication" referred to in your Bible quote is in a completely different context

No, it isn't.

Words are merely symbols that reflect our surroundings, feelings, and perspectives.

Ok.

I think that you may have a point about the locker room

Yes, I do.

...but it is submerged beneath the prejudice that you have exhibited against the inevitable expansion (and thus, improvement) of the acceptable lexicon.

Not really sure what that means but again, ok.

We wondered why our guys kept getting hurt. Nothing can replace slinging the steel. Bench, dead lift, squat is still the main building blocks. I used to lift and compete in power lifting, loved banging the weights with my bros in that environment. Was real weird going to the local gym. Was squatting 500 making some noise and they came and tried to tell me to keep the noise down, lol. I told them to kick mud!

We needed a whole change of culture. Non offense to dungey and the quite strength. Just not me, I'm more of the ravens, steelers. Smash mouth type of guy. And love that's what we are building here!

Bob Sanders was in the gym plenty, though. Some guys just aren't built to play football. And there are a lot of freak injuries we suffered in past years (like Eric Foster and Ben Ijalana last season). No amount of weight training prevents that. I wonder if there is any real correlation between spending more time on the weights and spending less time hurt. I don't doubt that being stronger is better for professional football players, I just don't know that this is going to fix the injury issue we've had the past two seasons.

I get what you're saying, but I get what he's saying, too. The point is that the level of activity and intensity in the weight room is increased compared to before. And if that's true, that's a good thing, irrespective of the profanity issue.

I really want to get Sunday Ticket in order to see guys like Luck, RGIII, Weeden/Richardson play in their first year. Honestly, the Colts are going to be the most interesting team to watch, due to all the turnover.

I really want to get Sunday Ticket in order to see guys like Luck, RGIII, Weeden/Richardson play in their first year. Honestly, the Colts are going to be the most interesting team to watch, due to all the turnover.

Get the Game Pass online. The day after, you can go back and watch all the games at your leisure. $30/year, last year's pricing.

Get the Game Pass online. The day after, you can go back and watch all the games at your leisure. $30/year, last year's pricing.

Game Pass is only available for those out of the country...plus I don't want to watch a game a day later.

Game Pass is only available for those out of the country...plus I don't want to watch a game a day later.

Two things I was incorrect about: It's called Game Rewind, and it's $14.99 a month. The offseason Game Rewind is $30 total from January to July.

But it is available for people in the country. It is kind of annoying if you can only watch the games a day later, but there's plenty of football to watch on Sunday. If you want to spend a couple hours during the week, you can watch the condensed version of the game in 30 minutes without commercials and all the other nonsense, and you get every play. Or you can watch the full version if you want. And you can watch every game. I have Sunday Ticket, and I don't go back and watch games from other teams until during the week anyways. And I usually watch the condensed version, which isn't released on DirecTV until Tuesday. And they don't give you the Sunday night and Monday night games in condensed version. It's really more cost-effective, especially if you live in the region of your favorite team. I don't, so I have Sunday Ticket to watch the Colts on game day, but then I go back and watch another five or ten games during the week. If you don't need Sunday Ticket for your favorite team, Game Rewind is a great buy.

And it's a great buy for right now to watch games from the previous season.

And no, I don't work for NFL.com.

Two things I was incorrect about: It's called Game Rewind, and it's $14.99 a month. The offseason Game Rewind is $30 total from January to July.

But it is available for people in the country. It is kind of annoying if you can only watch the games a day later, but there's plenty of football to watch on Sunday. If you want to spend a couple hours during the week, you can watch the condensed version of the game in 30 minutes without commercials and all the other nonsense, and you get every play. Or you can watch the full version if you want. And you can watch every game. I have Sunday Ticket, and I don't go back and watch games from other teams until during the week anyways. And I usually watch the condensed version, which isn't released on DirecTV until Tuesday. And they don't give you the Sunday night and Monday night games in condensed version. It's really more cost-effective, especially if you live in the region of your favorite team. I don't, so I have Sunday Ticket to watch the Colts on game day, but then I go back and watch another five or ten games during the week. If you don't need Sunday Ticket for your favorite team, Game Rewind is a great buy.

And it's a great buy for right now to watch games from the previous season.

And no, I don't work for NFL.com.

I do, actually. LOL

Including playoffs, I only got to see 4 Texans games last year. LAME.

I do, actually. LOL

Ah. Game Rewind is more cost-effective, but Sunday Ticket lets you watch your team live. I definitely get that; that's why I have Sunday Ticket.

I do, actually. LOL

We need to switch places lol because I had to watch 18 texans games include preseason 22 games and a training camp practice(I don't like the Texans) its ColtsNation or die for me. And I only seen 4 Colts games live and two of those were texans games

We need to switch places lol because I had to watch 18 texans games include preseason 22 games and a training camp practice(I don't like the Texans) its ColtsNation or die for me. And I only seen 4 Colts games live and two of those were texans games

Hah. Wouldn't it be crazy if I told you guys I live in Indy? Wouldn't it be crazy......

Hah. Wouldn't it be crazy if I told you guys I live in Indy? Wouldn't it be crazy......

Yea it was pretty rough living in Houston and being a Colts fan this year.family and friends never let me make it lol because I talk the most smack when football season come around so they got me this year. I'm already back to talking smack for this upcoming season to these texans fan here

Nice try but no. Unless of course you're claiming the administrators and moderators of this website are amongst the most uptight.

This forum is a completely different context than a locker room filled with adult athletes. I highly doubt that this website's administrators would ban cussing in the weight room even if they could. Bad words harm nobody. (sticks and stones)

No, it isn't.

Of course it is. That passage was written a couple thousand years ago... the very definition of a different context... nevermind that it has been retranslated and edited dozens of times over the course of those millennia

Not really sure what that means but again, ok.

Proving my point by exhibiting your own ignorance of the language we are debating about... maybe you should learn more about contemporary English before moving up to slang... JMO

Brian... I am a big fan of your posts and I like your blog, but I have to respectfully disagree with your general premise about profanity. I don't know whether or not it helps in the weight room, but "colorful language" is not innately profane. They are all just words that have been deemed improper by the most uptight among us for arbitrary reasons.

Personally, I don't care about the profanity, but your argument seems a bit flawed. For instance, you could say the same about proper grammar. Why is one word arbitrarily accepted and used over another? What was once, 100 years ago, considered proper is now improper. What is, today, proper will be considered improper 100 years from now. So, why strive for good diction? As with profanity, you have ever-evolving social norms and rules. You have social norms and rules for everything.

Personally, I don't care about the profanity, but your argument seems a bit flawed. For instance, you could say the same about proper grammar. Why is one word arbitrarily accepted and used over another? What was once, 100 years ago, considered proper is now improper. What is, today, proper will be considered improper 100 years from now. So, why strive for good diction? As with profanity, you have ever-evolving social norms and rules. You have social norms and rules for everything.

completely agree with regard to social norms, but some of those norms ought to be challenged sometimes... With the exception of hate speech the social norms you are referring to with regard to language have traditionally been,at best, arbitrary and racist/exclusionary at worst. Why strive for proper diction unless it is to make your intentions more clear... if that is not the purpose, then I must question what the point would be. That being said... I was mostly arguing with his premise that " the addition of cuss words somehow being a net positive for the operations of any group of individuals is to me...kinda sad." There are lots of instances in which the insertion of cuss words have been beneficial to a project, and thus, society as a whole. Imagine watching an edited for television version of Pulp Fiction and tell me which version you find more compelling. There is nothing "sad" about it, unless the listener is so overly sensitive that they are emotionally affected by "naughty words." I just didn't like his post is all... I wouldn't have been so hostile about it if he hadn't thrown a bible quote in there... just felt like the poster was having a finger wagged at him... I like the new fire in the Colts locker/weight room, nothing personal... like i said, I like BC's posts/blog, for the most part.

Cursing often portrays a show of fire in a persons soul, playing angry, working angry playing with a chip on your shoulder or something to prove sometimes fires a player up to play better, hit harder, react faster instead of the always quiet example, players respond differently to different tactics and if getting up in someones face or letting out a good cussing fires that player up then Im good with that, I much prefer that method over the quiet example anyway, its refreshing if you ask me compared to the often quiet soft spoken Dungy and Caldwell, that was one thing I loved about Mora, he was a firey coach.......Playoffs!? Playoffs?!

Are we really going through that much football withdrawal to be talking about coaches cussing lol

Not all people are individuals who are unaffected by their environment. It would be in my description of logic, that the idea of players being influenced by the actions and communications provided by others around them is legitimate, at least to a percentage. That influence can be both bad and good, depending on the person. It is possible that some may be offended at other players cussing or swearing while lifting weights. It is also possible that some might become motivated are inspire by the same. To say that is is one way or the other is silly.

I can say that sometimes change is good, no matter which direction the change is going. It would be hard to be one of the few players remaining, and to have to start over with nearly everything new, and do the same things you did before, with the same approach. It is my guess that some could welcome the change in the environment.

Not all people are individuals who are unaffected by their environment. It would be in my description of logic, that the idea of players being influenced by the actions and communications provided by others around them is legitimate, at least to a percentage. That influence can be both bad and good, depending on the person. It is possible that some may be offended at other players cussing or swearing while lifting weights. It is also possible that some might become motivated are inspire by the same. To say that is is one way or the other is silly.

I can say that sometimes change is good, no matter which direction the change is going. It would be hard to be one of the few players remaining, and to have to start over with nearly everything new, and do the same things you did before, with the same approach. It is my guess that some could welcome the change in the environment.

It's kind of hard for me to believe that any player in the NFL has gotten that far without developing a bit of a thick skin when it comes to profanity in the locker room, or the weight room, or on the field. Even ones who are so-called religious, or spiritual, or who don't use profanity themselves, are probably pretty used to being around people who do. I doubt that it's really that much of a negative, however you look at it.