Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One guy sent to prison while another gets his name cleared

ReMeDy

Didn't think I'd see two back-to-back stories like this on the same day!

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Difference is the guy that got his name cleared dreams about playing in the NFL, while the rookie was already in the NFL, but blew it. Just comes to show there are plenty of people waiting in the wings to take your job in the NFL! Would hate to lose it on account of a dumb mistake leading to prison life.

The guy that blew it was an undrafted rookie, so probably safe to say he wont be returning to the NFL.

Best of luck to the guy getting his name cleared. I'm not sure how the prison system works; if a guy is wrongfully imprisoned, does he get some sort of compensation from the government?

Yes, it's possible.

On the advice of an attorney who said a jury wouldn't believe claims of innocence by a hulking black teenager, Banks plead guilty and spent the next five years of his life behind bars. When he was released, he was required to register as a sex offender and wear a electronic tracking bracelet.

Wow...........just..........wow. What an attorney. So the moral of this story is that if you're a big, black guy and you are accused of rape, there really is no defense?

On the advice of an attorney who said a jury wouldn't believe claims of innocence by a hulking black teenager' date=' Banks plead guilty and spent the next five years of his life behind bars[/quote']

payne-confident(a).gif

I have no doubt that the "hulking black teenager" bit is media sensationalism but it's common for lawyers to recommend a guilty plea if they have little case. It doesn't matter what the truth is, it matters what the evidence is - even if it's a complete lie, if you have no evidence to get you off then pleading guilty is a more sensible idea than pleading not guilty with no case and getting even longer in prison.

So am I to understand, that in a case of a rape accusation, the only evidence required is the word of a girl that wants $1.5 million?

Sorry but for me to believe you, there's gotta be some sort of evidence. If I'm ever on a jury in a rape case, I'm probably gonna side with the man, because I've heard too many of these stories where the chick just wants a quick buck......after a quick something else if you catch my drift. :)

Best of luck to the guy getting his name cleared. I'm not sure how the prison system works; if a guy is wrongfully imprisoned, does he get some sort of compensation from the government?

I do not think there is any compensation unless he wants to sue the girl. You do not get anything from the government not even a real I am sorry. Pretty much it is "too bad" now get out of here.

Like another poster said this woman is the worst kind of woman because she does a huge diservice to woman who are actually raped becuase people see stories like this and now doubt woman who come forward.

I would never plead guilty for something I did not do, that lawyer should be sent to prison instead.

She recommended the plea deal I have to imagine because the lawyer did not feel their was enough evidence to put a shadow of a doubt into the minds of a jury. Then if they convict him without the plea deal he faced a heck of a lot stiffer sentencing then the plea deal would give him. If I can remember right he was facing something like 20 to life if he took to trial and then only a few years for this plea deal. Also, he technically pleaded no contest which is a bit different than pleading guilty.

Edited by 21isSuperman