Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs For Next Draft

R1 CB weakest CB team in NFL

R2 OLB or WR We need to find Freeney's replacement if Hughes doesn't step up or we need a big WR to eventually replace RW.

R3 OG We need a whole line, but here is where we start.

R4 OT Some one who can bench Justice, unless he does good.

R5 ...Traded away for 3rd round

R6 WR We need a big receiver and could find one in these later rounds.

R7 ... Traded with Thomas

Fixed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed

R2 RB Hopfully we find someone that can show this year but if not heres a pick

#R2 WR-OLB# Let hughes Proove him self first and we just got a WR in the 3rd round this year lets let him prove himself first before we get a WR we dont need

R3 OG We need a whole line but here is were we start

R4 OT Some one who can bench justis unless he dose good

R6 TE we need some one to step in if fleener or allen get hurt

#R6 WR# I agree with this but we also need a a 3rd TE if we are playing a 2 TE O we could get the WR with a COMP. Pick we get next year

FIXED

R2 RB Hopfully we find someone that can show this year but if not heres a pick

#R2 WR-OLB# Let hughes Proove him self first and we just got a WR in the 3rd round this year lets let him prove himself first before we get a WR we dont need

R3 OG We need a whole line but here is were we start

R4 OT Some one who can bench justis unless he dose good

R6 TE we need some one to step in if fleener or allen get hurt

#R6 WR# I agree with this but we also need a a 3rd TE if we are playing a 2 TE O we could get the WR with a COMP. Pick we get next year

FIXED

We have a good backup in Miller already for TE. I said that if Hughes does good than we wouldn't need a OLB. The WR we drafted is more of a slot or #2 WR, I said that we should draft a big receiver that can be our #1 option.

We have a good backup in Miller already for TE. I said that if Hughes does good than we wouldn't need a OLB. The WR we drafted is more of a slot or #2 WR, I said that we should draft a big receiver that can be our #1 option.

Ok i read the hughes part wrong but we just used a 3rd and 6th round on WR this year i dont see us going for a new WR so early next year if any thing i see round 5 or 6 but not 2nd. Remember It took use 2 years to draft a new RB when brown was Sucking and that was Carter in R4 it took us 2 years to get a new DE after Hughes ( Tim Fuggers) R7... For some reason I have a good feeling About Hughes this year.

Ok i read the hughes part wrong but we just used a 3rd and 6th round on WR this year i dont see us going for a new WR so early next year if any thing i see round 5 or 6 but not 2nd. Remember It took use 2 years to draft a new RB when brown was Sucking and that was Carter in R4 it took us 2 years to get a new DE after Hughes ( Tim Fuggers) R7... For some reason I have a good feeling About Hughes this year.

Yes, but the WR's we draft aren't #1 WR's. We nned a replacement for Reggie. We could get that in round 2.

I think there's little chance of our draft looking like what the new poster has suggested. The reason is, most of it is devoted to the offense. I think there's little chance of a 2nd straight draft being devoted to the offense..... especially when so many of our concerns lie with the defense.

And, it's worth repeating.... we're not going to have all our problems fixed by this time next year. Even with another draft and all that salary cap money to spend, we've got more issues than we have opportunities in a short span to fix them all.

It's going to take time. Patience. We'll get a lot done next spring with Free Agency and another draft.... a lot. But not everything. We've got lots to fix. Lots of retooling to do. These things take time.

Still way too early to be thinking what to do in the draft. I mean, we're in the catbird seat for Free Agency. Not quite sure what the pool of FA is shaping up to be just yet, but we'll be going to market to buy when it opens up, and that's going to help shape what we do in the draft more than anything else. Depending on how high we're picking I also wouldn't be surprised to see us swinging some trades again next offseason as well.

Ya know its funny how an opinion might change after seeing just 1 game but our O Line was awful while Mcglynn and Justice was in there. I am seriously considering going (if we have the chance).

1.Barrett Jones

2.Ricky Wagner

As of right now I still stand as wanting 1.Amerson, 2.Devin Taylor or Brandon Jenkins BUT we have to protect our franchise quarterback first thing

I was going to hold off from posting on this until the end of the pre-season, but given that the topic is out there, well, I might as well join in...

I'm rethinking our draft priorities. I know, one pre-season game is a ridiculously small sample size, but I think something is already clear.

We can't do enough to protect Andrew Luck. He's The Franchise. Everything starts and ends with him.

So.... first, before the draft, I don't want to wait. Go out in Free Agency and sign a quality guard. Someone that when you get him, he's plugged in and you don't have to worry about him. I don't want a rookie guard that will need on the job training.

Then, at the draft...

1. OT I want bookend tackles for Andrew. Castanzo on one side, the Rookie Stud on the other.

Now, we can turn to defense... and picks 2/3 are depending on how the players we have currently have perform and how they project to next year. But, based on one game, I'd say this...

2. CB

3. Best pass rusher available, OLB or DE

Picks 2 and 3 could be flip-flopped depending on need.

4. DB

5. Best defensive player regardless of position, preference for ILB or DL

6. Best offensive player regardless of position

7. Best player, O or D, regardless of position

That's where I am after one whole pre-season game. It's going to change countless times between now and next April. But for Mid-August, that's my view...

p.s. -- yes, I know, we've traded our 5 and 7 in 2013. I'm confident we'll be awarded picks next off-season.

I was going to hold off from posting on this until the end of the pre-season, but given that the topic is out there, well, I might as well join in...

I'm rethinking our draft priorities. I know, one pre-season game is a ridiculously small sample size, but I think something is already clear.

We can't do enough to protect Andrew Luck. He's The Franchise. Everything starts and ends with him.

So.... first, before the draft, I don't want to wait. Go out in Free Agency and sign a quality guard. Someone that when you get him, he's plugged in and you don't have to worry about him. I don't want a rookie guard that will need on the job training.

Then, at the draft...

1. OT I want bookend tackles for Andrew. Castanzo on one side, the Rookie Stud on the other.

Now, we can turn to defense... and picks 2/3 are depending on how the players we have currently have perform and how they project to next year. But, based on one game, I'd say this...

2. CB

3. Best pass rusher available, OLB or DE

Picks 2 and 3 could be flip-flopped depending on need.

4. DB

5. Best defensive player regardless of position, preference for ILB or DL

6. Best offensive player regardless of position

7. Best player, O or D, regardless of position

That's where I am after one whole pre-season game. It's going to change countless times between now and next April. But for Mid-August, that's my view...

p.s. -- yes, I know, we've traded our 5 and 7 in 2013. I'm confident we'll be awarded picks next off-season.

I like this!! Not many good OG's next year, but lots of OT's. We should go out and get a stud OT in FA and then draft a OG in the first. Trade down maybe?

I like this!! Not many good OG's next year, but lots of OT's. We should go out and get a stud OT in FA and then draft a OG in the first. Trade down maybe?

Did you get that backward? Looks like you said one thing in one sentence, and then reversed yourself in the next?

Am I reading that right?

By the way, you'll rarely find a guard you love taking in the first round. 2nd round is where they start getting taken more times than not. First round guards are exceptions to the rule.

That's why I want to get one in Free Agency.

Then a quality tackle in the 1st round where there should be one where we pick.

I meant not many good OG's in FA.

I suspect you're right about the lack of good guards in FA. But we only need one. Honestly, I'm counting on Grigson, as a former OL, to be able to spot what he's looking for on tape. It may not be a name anyone here knows, but it'll be someone that Grigson feels comfortable with. We've got to have a quality veteran presence inside that solidifies things for everyone.

A premium tackle can be found in the first round. But a premium guard that can deliver in their first year -- much, much harder to do. So, i'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Grigson can find a hidden gem somewhere. And I think we'll know early in the FA season (whenever that officially begins) He should be among our first priority targets.

By the way, I want more quality FA's other than just a good guard. But we can talk about that somewhere down the line.

I think we need a right tackle more than right guard in the draft. This is my reasoning.

One, good tackles go quicker, and left tackles go quicker than right tackles. If we are picking in the top half of round 2 (most likely assumption), we will be in good position to grab a tackle that has slid a bit or people thinking an LT prospect is downgraded because he projects as RT at the next level.

Also, the OG position is MUCH more difficult to transition from college to the pros because there is more communication with the center, and seeing what the center is seeing during blitz pickups etc., it is a position we may be wise to invest free agency dollars in.

The OT position, however, has more simplistic assignments, with primarily dealing with an edge rusher, mentally speaking. Then, physically speaking, if you have the feet, you can handle the edge rusher. An experienced OT like Ryan Diem or Winston Justice can be moved inside once they get slower on their feet to OG and enable them to be productive, but you need younger and more athletic legs for the RT position.

I think we need a right tackle more than right guard in the draft. This is my reasoning.

One, good tackles go quicker, and left tackles go quicker than right tackles. If we are picking in the top half of round 2 (most likely assumption), we will be in good position to grab a tackle that has slid a bit or people thinking an LT prospect is downgraded because he projects as RT at the next level.

Also, the OG position is MUCH more difficult to transition from college to the pros because there is more communication with the center, and seeing what the center is seeing during blitz pickups etc., it is a position we may be wise to invest free agency dollars in.

The OT position, however, has more simplistic assignments, with primarily dealing with an edge rusher, mentally speaking. Then, physically speaking, if you have the feet, you can handle the edge rusher. An experienced OT like Ryan Diem or Winston Justice can be moved inside once they get slower on their feet to OG and enable them to be productive, but you need younger and more athletic legs for the RT position.

There aren't many great OG's in FA.

1. OT/OG - I don't think either would be a bad decision. The most important thing to this franchise is keeping Luck on his feet. After the first preseason game, i'm very nervous about that. O-line takes priority.

2. CB - Normally, I'd say that OLB and WR are a bigger priority with Freeney likely out the door and Wayne being old. However, i'm going to be optimistic in regards to Jerry Hughes and LaVon Brazill who I think have the talent to be starters and say that CB is 2nd on the priority list.

3. OLB - Well I didn't remain optimistic long eh? We need a serious pass rusher in our front 7 opposite Mathis if Jerry Hughes doesn't end up working out.

4. DE - I hope Nevis gets a shot at DE, but if the D-line is still struggling at the end of the year, we need to find a good run stuffer opposite Redding.

5. WR - Wayne's getting up in age and we need to surround Luck with as much talent as possible.

2013 Mock Draft - 3 rounds

If the draft fell perfectly in place and we drafted for priority and not BPA...my mock would look like this.

Round 1 : Barrett Jones C/OG/OT - Alabama

Round 2 : Johnny Adams CB - Michigan State

Round 3 : Nico Johnson OLB - Alabama

1. OT/OG - I don't think either would be a bad decision. The most important thing to this franchise is keeping Luck on his feet. After the first preseason game, i'm very nervous about that. O-line takes priority.

2. CB - Normally, I'd say that OLB and WR are a bigger priority with Freeney likely out the door and Wayne being old. However, i'm going to be optimistic in regards to Jerry Hughes and LaVon Brazill who I think have the talent to be starters and say that CB is 2nd on the priority list.

3. OLB - Well I didn't remain optimistic long eh? We need a serious pass rusher in our front 7 opposite Mathis if Jerry Hughes doesn't end up working out.

4. DE - I hope Nevis gets a shot at DE, but if the D-line is still struggling at the end of the year, we need to find a good run stuffer opposite Redding.

5. WR - Wayne's getting up in age and we need to surround Luck with as much talent as possible.

2013 Mock Draft - 3 rounds

If the draft fell perfectly in place and we drafted for priority and not BPA...my mock would look like this.

Round 1 : Barrett Jones C/OG/OT - Alabama

Round 2 : Johnny Adams CB - Michigan State

Round 3 : Nico Johnson OLB - Alabama

Excellent picks, After sunday I am thinking Guard as well in the first, Amerson or Rhodes was my original pick but have to protect Luck first thing

There aren't many great OG's in FA.

That is why we move Winston Justice inside and draft a young OT, mainly for RT. Justice is still strong, just not as agile as he used to be.

I'd go:

Round 1 - Sam Montgomery, LSU or Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Round 2 - Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin (experience playing LT and RT, good O-line school). The other alternative is DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama

Round 3 - Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin/Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa (Iowa DBs seem to do well in the NFL)

So what are you thinking

Jarvis Jones LB

Ricky Wagner RT

Jordan Poyer CB

With 5 potential 1st round QBs we are going to have some good player fall to us

See above post of mine (pasted here):

Round 2 - Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin (experience playing LT and RT, good O-line school). The other alternative is DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama

Round 3 - Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin/Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa (Iowa DBs seem to do well in the NFL)

Let us say, for moving from No.6 to No.10, some team offers us a 1st and 3rd and 4th for a QB, I would gladly take it if it means we can still get someone we want. :)

What do folks here think about Eric Reid of LSU for FS if he is there at No.10 or No.11 if we move back like the scenario above? I think he would be a HUGE upgrade over Zbikowski and with receiving TEs the norm in the league and since you cannot spear anyone in the middle, you have to cover them. The strong safety with great run support and no coverage skills is becoming less important than a free safety with outstanding coverage skills and good run support.

The reason LSU's secondary was so good was not just because of Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu, it is because of Eric Reid manning the middle as well.

So what are you thinking

Jarvis Jones LB

Ricky Wagner RT

Jordan Poyer CB

With 5 potential 1st round QBs we are going to have some good player fall to us

Personally...I'd love this. It's pretty much dead on with what I had posted a while back

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/8834-2013-mock-draft-way-too-early-edition-3-rounds/

Except I went

1) Jarvis Jones

2) D.J. Fluker

3) Jordan Poyer

See above post of mine (pasted here):

Let us say, for moving from No.6 to No.10, some team offers us a 1st and 3rd and 4th, I would gladly take it if it means we can still get someone we want. :)

What do folks here think about Eric Reid of LSU for FS if he is there at No.10 or No.11 if we move back like the scenario above? I think he would be a HUGE upgrade over Zbikowski and with receiving TEs the norm in the league and since you cannot spear anyone in the middle, you have to cover them. The strong safety with great run support and no coverage skills is becoming less important than a free safety with outstanding coverage skills and good run support.

The reason LSU's secondary was so good was not just because of Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu, it is because of Eric Reid manning the middle as well.

I completely missed that. I threw out Reid just to get people's attention and got some heat

I completely missed that. I threw out Reid just to get people's attention and got some heat

I think it is a very valid name. Other than Bethea, our coverage stinks among safeties. Plus, ask Bethea to play more closer to the line of scrimmage, whenever Sanders was not there, we have had to deal with Bullitt, Francisco (yikes), and now Zbikowski who could not beat out Bernard Pollard (who stunk in coverage) back out there in the secondary.

NY Jets, with their outstanding man CBs, got manhandled down the middle due to bad safety play, and as familiar as they were with the Pats, still had no answer for Gronk and Hernandez. So, they got Landry and Yeremiah Bell, they know what they are doing, at least Rex Ryan does, w.r.t defense. They had bodies in quantity, just like the Colts, for the safety corp, just not quality bodies :).

So, our safety corp, or middle, is not as good as people think it is. We will see after this year whether Lefeged or Mike Newton or Zbikowski step up as the other safety but Eric Reid is a very valid name. He is very rangy in coverage, from what I have seen and has great recovery speed too, plays like a CB, IMO.

I think it is a very valid name. Other than Bethea, our coverage stinks among safeties. Plus, ask Bethea to play more closer to the line of scrimmage, whenever Sanders was not there, we have had to deal with Bullitt, Francisco (yikes), and now Zbikowski who could not beat out Bernard Pollard (who stunk in coverage) back out there in the secondary.

NY Jets, with their outstanding man CBs, got manhandled down the middle due to bad safety play, and as familiar as they were with the Pats, still had no answer for Gronk and Hernandez. So, they got Landry and Yeremiah Bell, they know what they are doing, at least Rex Ryan does, w.r.t defense. They had bodies in quantity, just like the Colts, for the safety corp, just not quality bodies :).

So, our safety corp, or middle, is not as good as people think it is. We will see after this year whether Lefeged or Mike Newton or Zbikowski step up as the other safety but Eric Reid is a very valid name. He is very rangy in coverage, from what I have seen and has great recovery speed too, plays like a CB, IMO.

I agree with this to an extent. Zbikowski is a solid player. Watching him with the Ravens, he was sent on zone blitzes a lot and I think he'll be useful there. I'm not as concerned with SS as I am with CB though if we are going to be playing a lot more man to man coverages. But still a position we should address in the draft at some point in the next couple of years.

If we pick in that range, I would like Reid, Te'o, Keenan Allen, Rhodes, or Hunter.

I think there is little chance Wagner lasts until R2. He's the top rated Senior tackle in the upcoming draft. Some Jrs might be projected higher, but for Srs, it's Wagner at the top. The only way he lasts until the 2nd round is if he has a terribly disappointing Sr. season. Not likely to happen, and if it did, I'd have lots of questions for the kid.

This is part of our predicament. How to get all the pieces we need? Easier said than done. Easier to talk about it on a fan message board than to actually do it. We're all going to kill-off a lot of brain cells trying to figure this out!

I gotta take up drinking! :spit: :yes:

Two weeks ago, "everyone" in here wanted Amerson to be our top priority in the draft. Now, after a single pre-season game, everyone is all about our O-line.. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Maybe our O-line will improve and gel during the season, and maybe our CB's will do just fine.. We might end up needing something completely different when it's time for the 2013 draft.

it doesn't matter how great your pass rush is if you can't cover the wr's. vikings and cowboys were top 3 in sacks but pass defense was 25th to worst because their cb's couldn't cover. amerson would be the right fit but most likely he'll be a top 5 pick. i don't think will have a top 5 pick somewhere from 10 to 20. you don't have to have great cb's to have a good pass defense as long as you have ball hawking safeties. polomalu and reed cover so much ground for their teams that cb's rarely ever get mentioned. eric reid ss from lsu is who i would want if amerson is gone. he's 6'2 215lbs 4.4 speed and can cover like a cb, also a hard hitter and can stop the run. zbikowski is god but doesn't have the athletic ability reid does. we were at our best when we ad bob sanders and bethea as a tandem. eric reid and bethea would be the best safety tandem in the nfl.

Have to protect Luck priority 1 and our Corners are less than average across the board with possible exception of Powers but Im still waiting for his breakout year, Im picking Amerson or a Guard because know way will we be any less then a top 10

For now this is how I see our team needs....

1. CB - This league is getting more and more pass heavy. Records are going to be broken every year. I'm thinking within the next few years, we're going to see an increase in the value of the CB position. You need to have different kinds of CBs on your team as well. Jerraud Powers should be the kind of guy that covers your 6' tall guys that run good routes; Greg Jennings, Roddy White. I want a 6'3 CB that can go toe-to-toe with Calvin Johnson. Seattle has set themselves up nicely for the future with Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner, standing in at 6'3 and 6'4, respectively. I cannot stress the importance of the CB position, especially with the way the league is trending right now....a position that we are woefully incompetent at now.

2. 5Tech DE - Currently we've got two able 5techs; Redding and Moala. I don't think they see Nevis as a 5tech, considering they let Rico Mathews start over him on Sunday. Mathews is just not very good anyway. Redding is stout, but he's also getting on in years. Moala has been extraordinarily inconsistent in his 3 years with this team. I hope he gets it together this year, and warrants being resigned next offseason.

3. RT/RG - I'm including this as one because I don't know what we'll look like as the season progresses. Who knows, Seth Olsen might surprise us and give us a RG of the future. Justice is a FA next year, so if he's worth it, he'll be re-signed. Either way, that right side looks to be weak, but I'm not too worried as I think Luck is smart and mobile enough to make it a non-issue. Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, and Phil Loadholt are all FAs next year if we want to go that route on RTs.

After that it's depth/special teams. I'd also like to find ourselves a big Safety, that can cover guys like Gronkowski in man-to-man. We'll have plenty of keesh to re-sign Powers, Collie, Moala, etc, and we should be able to bring in a couple quality FAs.

For now this is how I see our team needs....

1. CB - This league is getting more and more pass heavy. Records are going to be broken every year. I'm thinking within the next few years, we're going to see an increase in the value of the CB position. You need to have different kinds of CBs on your team as well. Jerraud Powers should be the kind of guy that covers your 6' tall guys that run good routes; Greg Jennings, Roddy White. I want a 6'3 CB that can go toe-to-toe with Calvin Johnson. Seattle has set themselves up nicely for the future with Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner, standing in at 6'3 and 6'4, respectively. I cannot stress the importance of the CB position, especially with the way the league is trending right now....a position that we are woefully incompetent at now.

2. 5Tech DE - Currently we've got two able 5techs; Redding and Moala. I don't think they see Nevis as a 5tech, considering they let Rico Mathews start over him on Sunday. Mathews is just not very good anyway. Redding is stout, but he's also getting on in years. Moala has been extraordinarily inconsistent in his 3 years with this team. I hope he gets it together this year, and warrants being resigned next offseason.

3. RT/RG - I'm including this as one because I don't know what we'll look like as the season progresses. Who knows, Seth Olsen might surprise us and give us a RG of the future. Justice is a FA next year, so if he's worth it, he'll be re-signed. Either way, that right side looks to be weak, but I'm not too worried as I think Luck is smart and mobile enough to make it a non-issue. Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, and Phil Loadholt are all FAs next year if we want to go that route on RTs.

After that it's depth/special teams. I'd also like to find ourselves a big Safety, that can cover guys like Gronkowski in man-to-man. We'll have plenty of keesh to re-sign Powers, Collie, Moala, etc, and we should be able to bring in a couple quality FAs.

For me I would agree with the the list but in reverse order

1. RT/RG - Protect your investment first and foremost. Keep Luck off of the sidelines.

2. DE - It all starts in the trenches and we need someone opposite Redding if we want to run a successful 3-4. I think we've got the NT, we just need the final piece.

3. CB - While it is a passing league, we aren't in a passing division and really there are only a handful of teams who are consistently successful with their passing offense. We are in a running division. First step back up to the top is to regain control of the South. So CB takes more of a backseat to me for the time being while Foster, CJ2k and MJD are still running on us 6 games a year. Not that CB doesn't need to be addressed at some point...it just doesn't deserve top priority for our team at this point.

With the money we have to spend for next year in free agency. I will wait to see how this team plays, if Pat Angerer gets healthy, how Castonzo and the OL improve or 'not.' I will see what the record will be (3-13 or 7-9) and go from there. We need to see how Havoc (Freeney) and Mayhem (Mathis) do in their new roles.

We can all put out wish lists...but mine is for this unit to play 100%, and play fundamentally sound football, and play with this contagious family-esque vim and vigor (Smash mouth football).

If I recall, Christmas is coming up...I believe December 25. My letter to Santa says I want a good football team this year, and Grigs and Pagano will roll up their sleeves and bring in the missing pieces we need. I fee we have some diamonds in the rough here.....lets go get the game breakers in the off season. HO HO HO! Let win know....then re-load. :.