Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Colt just might be the 2008 Dolphins

HtownColt

I'm not hoping for a seven win team. I'm hoping for an improved team. Success in the NFL comes in incremental steps. The quicker we can springboard out of the mess we just came out of, the better. Ten spots in the draft isn't going to cost you years on your rebuild, not if you're good at drafting. But those extra four wins are a major stepping-stone to getting back to contention. On top of that, we'll have somewhere upwards of $50 million in cap space next season. You want a corner? Wouldn't you rather have a proven veteran joining your second or third place team, rather than a rookie joining your fourth place team? Go sign a corner. Go sign a guard. Go sign an outside linebacker. Or draft one at 14, or at 46, or at 78. There are good players throughout the draft, in every draft, and you don't have to have a top five pick to get quality prospects.

And it's not just pride that says you should win as much as you can. It's common sense. All things being equal, you don't trade wins now for wins later.

This is beautifully stated by you....and simply put, the impact on your current players of winning trumps the value of drafting higher regardless of the phase your team is in. If there is an exception, it is when you don't have a franchise QB and one is available in that year's draft. We might know something about that around here.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if you play a conservative zone shell defense 85% of the time. If that's the case, you're paying him for tackles.

I understand that completely but the other side of that coin is hes not been a high deflection, high interception Corner in college when Auburn wasn't back in the Cover 2 and now we expect him to suddenly be our #1 shutdown Corner. if I remember correctly he wasn't a #1 in college in his two years of starting, look I'm not saying his talents were well utilized since coming to Indy cause obviously they weren't no one with some form of football knowledge would argue that, but I am saying hes not exactly wow'd anyone as a starter even in college, I'm not saying he isn't a starter, I'm not saying he isn't good, he is, I just would like him as my #2

First, most logical Colts fans I would think while going 7-9 is good for the team as a whole but lets look at why that is, how many veterans do we have on our team that are closing in on the end of their career, Freeney, Mathis, Wayne, you better believe they want to win now and they are gonna do everything in there power to see that happen but the fact still remains we have alot of new guys and the 'win now' mentality is likely just a front for the fans and those players that are veterans that are still here, ya got to believe they know what they are up against here, as long as our guys are improving and we get better and we still dont make the playoffs...yes I uttered that word......then I would not be bothered at all with a high draft pick as a matter of fact yes I would love the chance to get the best talent in the draft with a high draft pick such as a top 5

I'm not bothered with a high draft pick either. I'm just saying that I'd rather see us take tangible steps toward contention than see us "rewarded" with a top five pick. But I'll take the top five pick, and I'll appreciate the talent we add. I've said many times that I think we can improve and still have the same record as last season, although I think we'll have a better record.

But let me ask you this: Why spend money on Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis if you don't think they're going to help you win games? The "win now" mentality isn't a front for anything; it's the same mentality every team has every year, it's just some teams are better at it than others. The 49ers retooled their front office and coaching staff, and immediately went from "what are we doing" to the NFC Championship Game. Every team wants to win now, just some of them are in better position to do it than others. And I'm pretty sure the front office would rather have a 7 win season and the 14th pick in the draft than a 3-13 season and the #4 pick in the draft, because that 7 win season is proof that you're on the right track.

Give me every win we can get, and whatever draft position we wind up with is okay. But you don't sacrifice tangible improvement in the name of draft position. The draft is too deep, and the league moves too fast.

I understand that completely but the other side of that coin is hes not been a high deflection, high interception Corner in college when Auburn wasn't back in the Cover 2 and now we expect him to suddenly be our #1 shutdown Corner. if I remember correctly he wasn't a #1 in college in his two years of starting, look I'm not saying his talents were well utilized since coming to Indy cause obviously they weren't no one with some form of football knowledge would argue that, but I am saying hes not exactly wow'd anyone as a starter even in college, I'm not saying he isn't a starter, I'm not saying he isn't good, he is, I just would like him as my #2

Great, we have a #2 corner. I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed Jerraud Powers to be a true #1, lockdown man cornerback. I doubt anyone is making him out to be that, either. He was a third round draft pick, which is where you expect to get a solid contributer for a few years, hopefully a starter, and if you're lucky, he turns into a stud. There's no knock on Powers play at this point. The only issue has been his ability to stay on the field, and in many respects, using him as a tackler in a shell defense makes that more of an issue.

Still, you continue to grade our players on statistical performance in a scheme that didn't allow them to get deflections or interceptions.

Great, we have a #2 corner. I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed Jerraud Powers to be a true #1, lockdown man cornerback. I doubt anyone is making him out to be that, either. He was a third round draft pick, which is where you expect to get a solid contributer for a few years, hopefully a starter, and if you're lucky, he turns into a stud. There's no knock on Powers play at this point. The only issue has been his ability to stay on the field, and in many respects, using him as a tackler in a shell defense makes that more of an issue.

Still, you continue to grade our players on statistical performance in a scheme that didn't allow them to get deflections or interceptions.

Not all the players just the starting Corners and that's not based on what I have seen them do in the NFL because thats not a fair comparison do to our previous defensive scheme I completely understand that, I am saying they werent studs at Corner in college under a different defensive scheme that was ran in Auburn and USC ( if in fact Thomas starts) or Maryland (if Chism starts). Now with that said, they have different coaches here in indy then they did in their respective colleges so maybe that will change how they play and affects their stats Im just not counting on it. as a matter of fact Chism doesnt apply to this since this is his first year in the NFL

Why?

I mean wary in the sense that he will be very aware of where he will be headed, ala Andrew Luck at the end of the 2011 regular season. But then again, none of this will matter if you guys don't pick very high at all, we can't predict the results of next season.

Not all the players just the starting Corners and that's not based on what I have seen them do in the NFL because thats not a fair comparison do to our previous defensive scheme I completely understand that, I am saying they werent studs at Corner in college under a different defensive scheme that was ran in Auburn and USC ( if in fact Thomas starts) or Maryland (if Chism starts). Now with that said, they have different coaches here in indy then they did in their respective colleges so maybe that will change how they play and affects their stats Im just not counting on it. as a matter of fact Chism doesnt apply to this since this is his first year in the NFL

Okay, but I don't care about their stats, because stats doesn't equal level of play, especially at cornerback. Outside of one season Nnamdi has 6 interceptions in seven years. I don't care about a corner's interceptions or deflections or tackles as much as I care about their ability to cover their assignment. We don't have great corners, but we're not completely devoid of talent either.

I mean wary in the sense that he will be very aware of where he will be headed, ala Andrew Luck at the end of the 2011 regular season. But then again, none of this will matter if you guys don't pick very high at all, we can't predict the results of next season.

Ah.

Okay, but I don't care about their stats, because stats doesn't equal level of play, especially at cornerback. Outside of one season Nnamdi has 6 interceptions in seven years. I don't care about a corner's interceptions or deflections or tackles as much as I care about their ability to cover their assignment. We don't have great corners, but we're not completely devoid of talent either.

I understand that but top guys like Nnamdi dont have those high interceptions now because Quarterbacks and coaches dont throw towards them such as Nnamdi and certainly not Revis for fear of the interception http://footballoutsi...nnamdi-asomugha when and if lets say Powers as he is our #1 Corner right now has a break out year teams will be less likely to throw at him to so his stats would go down as well, Im not saying we have bad Corners Im just saying no one fears them and I Quarterback to fear our #1

I understand that but top guys like Nnamdi dont have those high interceptions now because Quarterbacks and coaches dont throw towards them such as Nnamdi and certainly not Revis for fear of the interception http://footballoutsi...nnamdi-asomugha when and if lets say Powers as he is our #1 Corner right now has a break out year teams will be less likely to throw at him to so his stats would go down as well, Im not saying we have bad Corners Im just saying no one fears them and I Quarterback to fear our #1

Why would anyone fear a cornerback who plays nothing but zone coverage? I don't know that we have a corner that anyone should fear at this point, I just know that the stats our corners have had are not indicative of their talent level. They are indicative of the scheme we played.

Why would anyone fear a cornerback who plays nothing but zone coverage? I don't know that we have a corner that anyone should fear at this point, I just know that the stats our corners have had are not indicative of their talent level. They are indicative of the scheme we played.

Perhaps they are better then what the scheme has allowed them to show, I hope so

I always thought they were. Rewatching the games (I'm watching 2010 right now) has reinforced my belief.

I cant watch them. I dont have NFL Rewind, only game I could find browsing the net was the opening game vs the Texans last year

I cant watch them. I dont have NFL Rewind, only game I could find browsing the net was the opening game vs the Texans last year

You can if you're willing to drop thirty bucks on the subscription. Every game from the past three seasons.

It's his 4th year in the NFL stop bringing up college. The man was good with the defensive assignments coyer gave him. If you haven't figured out what coyers CBs assignments were by now then idk what to tell you

It's his 4th year in the NFL stop bringing up college. The man was good with the defensive assignments coyer gave him. If you haven't figured out what coyers CBs assignments were by now then idk what to tell you

We shall see what happens thats all Im saying and also Auburn didnt run a drop our Corners back off the line 8 yards + of the line of scrimmage Cover Nobody and Powers still wasnt a number 1 in college thats the point I was making, the guy wasnt impressive in college and certainly wasn't touted as a number 1 Corner , as I said we will see what happens, I expect improvement but nothing earth shattering

We shall see what happens thats all Im saying and also Auburn didnt run a drop our Corners back off the line 8 yards + of the line of scrimmage Cover Nobody and Powers still wasnt a number 1 in college thats the point I was making, the guy wasnt impressive in college and certainly wasn't touted as a number 1 Corner , as I said we will see what happens, I expect improvement but nothing earth shattering

I'm a little lost in your assesment of Powers college career because NFL.com is contradicting your statement.

Powers was in fact the #1 corner his sophomore and junior year(starting all 13 as a sophomore and 10 as a junior).

He was Defensive player of the year for his team in 07 while covering top guys like Percy Harvin, etc. And the corner on the other side of him was Walter McFadden(5th round pick of the following draft bouncing from practice teams currently with Steelers)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jerraud-powers?id=80680

In 07 He did not allow an opponent to catch any passes in four contests and allowed no touchdowns while posting 63 tackles (45 solos) and had four stops behind the line of scrimmage

in 08 He intercepted two passes and deflected seven others, as he again held the opposition to no receptions in four contests.

Now I don't know where you got your assessment from but I trust NFL.com and he in fact proved that he is capable of being a cover corner as well an off zone corner NFL.com even compared him to Carlos Rodgers coming out of college and now that he is going to be playing a defense like Carlos Rodgers I expect him to play like him

I don't know why the Colts are expected to be horrible next year? 2011 they were a good QB from being a playoff team of the year before and now have the good QB (isnt he the most NFL ready prospect in forever)? Everyone seems to have forgotten the Colts didnt get blown out of most games last year and had a good chance to win 9 with their QB situation and all.

Browns 27-19

Pittsburgh 23-20

Bucs 24-17

Chiefs 28-24

Panthers 27-19

Patriots 31-24

Jags 2nd 19-13

A few bounces the Colts way last year (or a few less Garcon drops) and they could have won some of these games to go with the two wins they did get. If Luck is as advertised I would think they could put together similar numbers if not better since their D HAS to be better than 2011 (goodbye Lacey). The best TE's in the draft (Lucks go to guy to boot) along with a new emphasis on the run game (anyone other than Addai is an improvement) should take a lot of pressure off Luck and lead to a positive outcome in 2012.

I'm a little lost in your assesment of Powers college career because NFL.com is contradicting your statement.

Powers was in fact the #1 corner his sophomore and junior year(starting all 13 as a sophomore and 10 as a junior).

He was Defensive player of the year for his team in 07 while covering top guys like Percy Harvin, etc. And the corner on the other side of him was Walter McFadden(5th round pick of the following draft bouncing from practice teams currently with Steelers)

http://www.nfl.com/d...powers?id=80680

In 07 He did not allow an opponent to catch any passes in four contests and allowed no touchdowns while posting 63 tackles (45 solos) and had four stops behind the line of scrimmage

in 08 He intercepted two passes and deflected seven others, as he again held the opposition to no receptions in four contests.

Now I don't know where you got your assessment from but I trust NFL.com and he in fact proved that he is capable of being a cover corner as well an off zone corner NFL.com even compared him to Carlos Rodgers coming out of college and now that he is going to be playing a defense like Carlos Rodgers I expect him to play like him

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2007-09-29-florida.html it looks like when he was matched up against Percy Harvin that Percy had his way with him, Percy had 7 catches for 119 yards 17.0 YAC but he didnt get any touchdowns in that game

Early Doucet 7 catches 93 13.2 YAC yards that same year but again 0 touchdowns other then those two, who did he face thats noteworthy in 2007? http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2007-11-24-auburn.html thats the site I got my info from, I was incorrect he spent 23 games as the number 1 Corner

now in 2008 Auburn faced Louisiana Monroe-nobody from 2008 noteworthy at wide receiver on that team

2008 game 2 vs Southern Mississippi Deandre Brown, Shawn Nelson top two receivers on that team that year, who?

2008 game 3 vs Mississippi State who was on that team that was noteworthy?

2008 game 4 vs LSU Brandon Lafell was their top receiver

2008 game 5 vs Tennessee had Mario Hardesty and Arian Foster at running back but who at wide receiver Gerald Jones, Lennon Creer, Austin Rogers, Luke Stocker?

2008 game 6 vs Vanderbilt Sean Walker were the top two wide receivers on that team not exactly NFL noteworthy names

2008 game 7 vs Arkansas's D.J. Williams top receiver that year

2008 game 8 vs West Virgina, Jock Sanders, Alric Arnett top receivers, who?

2008 game 9 Mississippi-Mike Wallace (Ill give ya that one a stud NFL Wide Receiver), Dexter Mccluster, Shay Hodge

2008 game 10 Tennessee Martin cant find who was on that team note worthy he could have faced

2008 game 11 vs Alabama Julio Jones

I dont know who he was on during all of those games but besides Julio Jones

Im not trying to discredit his accomplishments or stats but he is unproven for the most part