Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Colt just might be the 2008 Dolphins

HtownColt

Everybody knows the colts situation so I was bored and started doing a little web surfing and found this

The 2007 Dolphins went 1-15 and they started a whole rebuilding project in 2008. They Hired Bill Parcels in the front office hired a new Head Coach in Sparano, new GM in Jeff Ireland,hired a new defensive coordinator in Paul Pasqualoni and new offensive coordinator in Dan Henning. brought in Chad Pennington from the Jets, released pro bowlers like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, drafted Jake Long and Chad Henne. Brought in a number of 1st and 2nd year players to camp. Fans were expecting another miserable season just like us thinking they would go 2-14 or 3-13. And went from a 1-15 2007 season to 11-5 in 2008. But lost to the Ravens in the Wildcard playoff game

http://superbowl.about.com/b/2008/12/29/miami-completes-stunning-turnaround.htm

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/193049-disaster-hits-miami-dolphins-a-comparison-of-the-two-seasons

http://www.greatseats.com/football/miami_dolphins/news/7-22-2008/2008-miami-dolphins-season-preview.htm

Hopefully and wishfully we can become the 2008 Dolphins this year and shock the world. Just throwing this out here I thought it was interesting

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, the 2012 Colts might be the 2011 Colts.

Have some patience. We have a rookie QB, rookie head coach, rookie GM, and one of the weakest rosters in the league.

The greatest QB I've ever seen only went 3-13 his first season.

It could happen but the situation isnt completely the same, the Dolphins didnt have a rookie at quarterback in 2008 also they had a Pro Bowler at Penningtons blindside. Dolphins actually had linebackers playing linebacker and not defensive ends, Dolphins had better running backs then we do now, while looking at the 2008 roster no one can certainly say they were loaded with talent because they certainly werent at least at wide receiver., they had some other proven players such as Chad Pennington who while not anywhere near Peyton like. did finish behind Peyton in MVP voting that year also, their wasnt alot of players playing out of position the next year and learning a new defensive scheme either. Dolphins had slightly better Corners and a proven defensive line, Joey Porter also had a monster year in 2008

It could happen but the situation isnt completely the same, the Dolphins didnt have a rookie at quarterback in 2008 also they had a Pro Bowler at Penningtons blindside. Dolphins actually had linebackers playing linebacker and not defensive ends, Dolphins had better running backs then we do now, while looking at the 2008 roster no one can certainly say they were loaded with talent because they certainly werent at least at wide receiver., they had some other proven players such as Chad Pennington who while not anywhere near Peyton like. did finish behind Peyton in MVP voting that year also, their wasnt alot of players playing out of position the next year and learning a new defensive scheme either. Dolphins had slightly better Corners and a proven defensive line, Joey Porter also had a monster year in 2008

Jake Long was a rookie that year, Chad pennington got replaced by Brett favre and had to learn a new offense in Miami and won comeback player of the year and was simply a game manager, and Miami got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, Vonnie Holliday is the only one worth mentioning along the dline, they did add Joey porter who led in sacks and the only CB worth mentioning was andre goodman but they all learned new systems just like we are doing they roster was depleted just like our that's why they had to re-invent the Wildcat

Jake Long was a rookie that year, Chad pennington got replaced by Brett favre and had to learn a new offense in Miami and won comeback player of the year and was simply a game manager, and Miami got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, Vonnie Holliday is the only one worth mentioning along the dline, they did add Joey porter who led in sacks and the only CB worth mentioning was andre goodman but they all learned new systems just like we are doing they roster was depleted just like our that's why they had to re-invent the Wildcat

That's a lot of text without any periods haha Can people just be realistic? Too many people are expecting us to be great right away. Expect us to have a bad year, hope for a good one. Pointing out a few turnarounds doesn't make us any better... Also, how did that rebuild project go for Miami?

That's a lot of text without any periods haha Can people just be realistic? Too many people are expecting us to be great right away. Expect us to have a bad year, hope for a good one. Pointing out a few turnarounds doesn't make us any better...

I am expecting a bad year. Dolphins fans were expecting for a bad year as well that year and went from 1-15 to 11-5

Just because I brought this up doesn't mean that's what I expect from us I'm not that stupid. all I expect us to be is competitive. I just found it interesting that that dolphins team went through similar changes and had a big turnaround that's all

If Pennington was just a game manager how did he finish second in MVP voting behind Manning, Dolphins had Kendall Langford and Randy Starks both pretty good but not great defensive linemen, not elite but can put up some good numbers. Dolphins started using the wildcat in week 3 to utilize both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins changed defensive schemes im 2008? I thought it was 2010, I thought they were running a 4-3 before that then again they have been changing coaching staff it seems regularly over the last 10 years so they probably did use a variety of schemes

Have some patience. We have a rookie QB, rookie head coach, rookie GM, and one of the weakest rosters in the league.

Dolphins had a has-been QB, rookie head coach(Sparano),rookie gm(Ireland), even a rookie VP(Parcels),and the had one of the worst rosters at that time. Not saying that's going to be us just found it interesting and wanted to pass it on to y'all..I just expect us to be competitive that's all

If Pennington was just a game manager how did he finish second in MVP voting behind Manning, Dolphins had Kendall Langford and Randy Starks both pretty good but not great defensive linemen, not elite but can put up some good numbers. Dolphins started using the wildcat in week 3 to utilize both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins changed defensive schemes im 2008? I thought it was 2010, I thought they were running a 4-3 before that then again they have been changing coaching staff it seems regularly over the last 10 years so they probably did use a variety of schemes

They changed to a 3-4 in 2008 just like us and Matt Roth didn't want to be moved from DE to OLB and was eventually released during the season

They changed to a 3-4 in 2008 just like us and Matt Roth didn't want to be moved from DE to OLB and was eventually released during the season

Still Pennington didnt prove to be a has been that year he was second in MVP voting, He got hurt vs the Chargers in 2009 though in the 3rd quarter in 2009 in game 3, he didnt have a great career by any stretch either but given all his injuries the numbers are actually good 102 touchdown 64 interception and a 90.1 QB Rating with 3 teams that were at the time primarily run based offenses

Every season for the last several years there have been around 5 new division winners. And one has gone from last to first in one offseason each year since 2002.

So to summarize, the odds are alive that one loser from last season WILL finish in first place in their division. And there will likely be several new division winners.

Just some things to throw out there......

That's a lot of text without any periods haha Can people just be realistic? Too many people are expecting us to be great right away. Expect us to have a bad year, hope for a good one. Pointing out a few turnarounds doesn't make us any better... Also, how did that rebuild project go for Miami?

One man's "realistic" is another man's pipe dream. I don't think it is realistic for the 2012 Colts to be in the playoffs the way our division and the AFC are stacked right now, but I think that prognostications of a poor season and top 5 pick are just as incomplete in their analysis and based solely on the downside potential of all our uncertainty. There is nothing "unrealistic" about the upside potential of this team and it's rare core components that are still in place. This is a team with pro bowl pass rushers. Cory Redding is an excellent player in this system. We look pretty solid at Safety. We have some question marks.....but almost every team does. It is not unrealistic to think that we can rush the passer and stop the run. That could actually yield a productive defense immediately in this league.

On offense, there are question marks everywhere, but it isn't unrealistic to see the potential for the O-line to be better, for Luck to be a productive rookie who has two established NFL vet receivers to throw to and a couple of rookie tight end weapons that are difficult to for defenses to plan for. Fleener and Allen are also playing at a position where it is very rational to expect rookies to contribute at a high level.

It is realistic for us to go 9-7 and it is also realistic for us to go 3-13. Tony Dungy said it is hard to win a game in the NFL.....but that means it is hard for the other guys too. It is easy to forget that the other guys are working out the bugs of making changes this off-season also and their recipe might not click either.

I dont buy the whole "colts roster is so depleted that the colts are a lock for the #1 pick" I reserve that right to the Vikings. Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Bethea, Wayne, Powers, Satelle, Redding + any surprise rookies + propper COACHING should give us at least 5-7 wins.

might be a homer tough

I dont buy the whole "colts roster is so depleted that the colts are a lock for the #1 pick" I reserve that right to the Vikings. Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Bethea, Wayne, Powers, Satelle, Redding + any surprise rookies + propper COACHING should give us at least 5-7 wins.

might be a homer tough

We forget that not only are those really good players but they still have the residue of winning all over them.... and that the biggest difference between winning and losing in the NFL is knowing how to win. The residue of winning does affect the rate of development of young players in this league. Just ask the Patriots and Colts teams of the past.

I like the optimism. We are developing a bigger, stronger run blocking OL so hopefully we crack 2000 yards rushing this year. Our WRs in Wayne, Collie, and Avery have experience and ability. Our rookie TEs are unproven but have potential and are smart enough to grasp the offense early. I believe our RBs will make an impact this year so on offense it boils down to QB. Most people expect Luck to have a Peyton like rookie year or even worse than Peyton. I believe Luck can have a Cam Newton type year. The defense only needs to find a SS and a CB to be solid if not spectacular. It seems to me that our new HC knows a few things about developing a secondary. I expect at least an 8-8 year and if games break the right way maybe 10-6 to make the playoffs.

D

Did i just black out an entire year? I dont remember Brett Favre playing for the Dolphins.

Something to keep in mind is how you define "turnaround". Peyton has said many times that despite having lots of regular season success, he didn't think the Colts' turnaround was complete until they won the Super Bowl. Do you define turnaround as a winning season? Playoffs? A Super Bowl victory?

D

Did i just black out an entire year? I dont remember Brett Favre playing for the Dolphins.

Believe he is talking about when Brett Favre replaced Chad Pennington in New York and Chad Pennington had to learn a new system as the Dolphins new quarterback.

Really? The greatest quarterback I've ever seen went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl his first starting season. :D

might be a homer tough

Optimism. I like it.

Only problem is...

A year later in 2009 the Dolphins dropped back to 7-9, and have not done very well since then. '08 was also the year Brady got hurt, opening up the division a little. The Pats/Phins still split the series that year, so not a huge direct impact, but something to consider.

2008 was also the year that Sparano brought out the Wildcat for the first time. It worked... for a little while.

Really? The greatest quarterback I've ever seen went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl his first starting season. :D

Lol. The guy I'm talking about wears number 12 like Staubach, but he plays in New England.

Check it out, a mercenary trollin' for the Patriots. It's ok, I'd be bitter too if Manning spanked my team for over a decade.

Check it out, a mercenary trollin' for the Patriots. It's ok, I'd be bitter too if Manning spanked my team for over a decade.

Um what games were you watching, I repeatedly saw Peyton Manning to Ty Law......oh wait Ty Law was a Corner for the Patriots during all those years Manning couldnt beat the Patriots including 3 Ty Law picks against Manning in I believe the 2003 AFC championship game, the year the Colts went to the Superbowl was the year Ty Law was traded to the Jets also from 1998 to 2005 we beat the Patriots twice and both were at home, we couldnt handle the Patriots physical defense not to mention some former Colts members complained about the physical play vs our receivers at the time......the reason for the cant touch a receiver after 5 yards is mainly because of the complaints

Um what games were you watching, I repeatedly saw Peyton Manning to Ty Law......oh wait Ty Law was a Corner for the Patriots during all those years Manning couldnt beat the Patriots including 3 Ty Law picks against Manning in I believe the 2003 AFC championship game, the year the Colts went to the Superbowl was the year Ty Law was traded to the Jets also from 1998 to 2005 we beat the Patriots twice and both were at home, we couldnt handle the Patriots physical defense not to mention some former Colts members complained about the physical play vs our receivers at the time......the reason for the cant touch a receiver after 5 yards is mainly because of the complaints

What in the heck are you talking about, good sir? Where do you get this tangent from my post?

The Texans were a joke for ten years, so let him live it up a little. He only has about a two year window to do so.

What in the heck are you talking about, good sir? Where do you get this tangent from my post?

your comment about the Colts spankin the Patriots all those years him trollin for the Patriots,. 6 times we beat the Patriots during the Manning Era but only two of those 6 wins was in New England both after Ty Law was let go, the Patriots won 13 total against us in the Manning era

your comment about the Colts spankin the Patriots all those years,. 6 times we beat the Patriots during the Manning Era but only two of those 6 wins was in New England both after Ty Law was let go, the Patriots won 13 total against us in the Manning era

That's truly Interesting, too bad I was talking about the Texans.

Love the optimism, but, lets temper our excitement just a bit! I kind of actually prefer to have another miserable season so we get another chance at drafting very near the top of every round again...........plus the compensation picks.............plus buttloads of $$$$$$ for a key free agent or two!

THEN.........

2013 they rock the NFL for the next 8-10 years!!!!!

Love the optimism, but, lets temper our excitement just a bit! I kind of actually prefer to have another miserable season so we get another chance at drafting very near the top of every round again...........plus the compensation picks.............plus buttloads of $$$$$$ for a key free agent or two!

THEN.........

2013 they rock the NFL for the next 8-10 years!!!!!

exactly. I dont want a mid round pick just to miss out on the players we need, Amerson, an outside Linebacker or two, another Guard, defensive end and running back likely

...but since have gone 7-9, 7-9 and 6-10 resepectively.

Perfect analogy I'd say.

I said the 2012 colts can be the 2008 Dolphins not the 2008-2012 Dolphins. Dolphins were an overtime away from going 0-16 in 07 cleaned house started a rebuild and went 11-5 I didn't say duplicate the dolphins 2008-2012 seasons. just be competitive this year that's all I can ask for