Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With All This Talk About Improving Our Backup Qb Situation....

Mouthfire

I really don't think that's what we need. If Manning goes down, there's no replacing him. No one's going to be able to man the QB spot to Manning's level. The offense, as it stands now, completely hinges on Manning's cognitive football skills. You're not going to find anyone who can do it at his level, and you're certainly not going to be able to teach someone to do it. Eli Manning has been around Peyton his whole life and arguably has greater physical tools. If he can't pick up Peyton's recognition skills, I doubt you can teach it to anyone. Manning's simply a unique and once-in-a-lifetime talent....

Personally, I think what you do is develop the run game to more formidable level. The Colt's offense has been way too skewed towards passing for way too long. Fixing this does a few critical things:

1) It makes the offense less reliant on Manning. Peyton's arguably the greatest QB that's ever played, but even his skills and recognition skills have failed him at certain critical times. Hey, it happens... he's human. But by making the run game more prominent, you ease the burden on Manning... so when he does having one of his infrequent bad moments, there is less heck to pay for it.

2) You make the offense more potent overall. This offense was best when it had a premier running game (ie the Edgerrin James days) that would set up the play-action pass. You're going to fix a lot of problems with the offense by re-instating this.

3) And finally (and most relevant to this discussion), by installing a formidable running attack, you don't need a premier backup QB in case Manning goes down. You just need someone serviceable to run the offense and not turn the ball over. You don't ask him to win the game... you simply ask him to be a caretaker. Curtis Painter can fill that role. Dan Orlovsky can fill that role. Heck, even Jim Sorgi can fill that role. If Manning goes down, you just lean on the running game until Manning comes back. You can even win a SB with a caretaker QB... witness Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

I feel that the Colts are already moving in this direction by drafting Castanzo and Ijalana, as well as beefing up the line with McClendon and others. When Manning retires, that's really the time to draft his replacement (not now), which IMO will require revamping the entire offense to a more standard passing attack.

TL,DR version: I think you'll get a lot more bang-for-the-buck by improving the run game than wasting time/money in a higher-quality backup QB who 1) likely won't see the field, and 2) likely won't be your long-term starter once Manning retires

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think Addai is a very good running back. Rhodes was good also, but I see his is no longer on the roster.

I like what I saw in Brown last night.

The main problem I seem to see is they spend a lot of time running horizontaly instead of forward. Of course they are looking for holes in the other teams defense, but I think it is the blocking which needs improving.

Our defense imo is average but so much better than three years ago. I was happy with their performance last night.

As far as the qb situation, I would like to see them bring in someone who looks competent. I am not trying to slam Painter, but how many years has he been with the team, and his performance is embarassing. I did not expect to win last nights game and I realize it is a trial-run to evaluate player performance, but in my evaluation he didn't show up.

I say within three years get a quality back-up and give him time to work with Peyton. A lot of his skill are not trainable as you say, but a lot of his knowledge is.

I don't see a lot of changes made with the way the Colts play as long as Peyton is here because this team was built around him. I look for more changes as the time for his retirement grows nearer.

I say within three years get a quality back-up and give him time to work with Peyton. A lot of his skill are not trainable as you say, but a lot of his knowledge is.

I'm not so sure about this point. As I stated above, Eli's had his entire life to learn from Peyton. He has nowhere near the knowledge or cognitive skills that Peyton has.

I don't see a lot of changes made with the way the Colts play as long as Peyton is here because this team was built around him. I look for more changes as the time for his retirement grows nearer.

I agree with this. This is also the reason why I don't think we'll draft Peyton's replacement while he's still playing. At earliest, maybe the year before Peyton retires. But I think it's much more likely we suffer through a few bad seasons, use a high draft pick on a blue-chip QB, and rebuild the offense around that player (similar to what we did with Peyton).

With all that said, this is just my opinion, so feel free to pick away....

Not much to pick at. The team is built around Peyton and no backup is going to fill his shoes, or they wouldn't be a backup.

It looks like we're making the attempt to move to the bigger O-Linemen and adding some power backs now. Some of that may be to ease the burden on Peyton, and some may be a forshadowing of the future.

BTW, you could make a similar post about the D being built around Freeney.

The Manning era Colts offense is custom built for Peyton and no one else can run it close to the way he can. Doesn't matter who we bring in as a back up. This offense is unique...no one else in the league can run it but us cause we got 18. I agree that it will be after 18 retires that the offense will be transformed into a more conventional type ala the Harbaugh days. It will then become easier to find serviceable qb's who can get the job done well enough to win if other aspects of the team like defense and running game are fortified.

For this year, focusing on the run primarily with Painter et. al in Manning's absence probably won't work because our line is built for pass protection and not so for the run. The offense won't change so long as we have Peyton and Painter doesn't appear to have enough grasp of it to run it competently. Painter running a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type offense right now would probably result mostly in 3 and outs when our backs get stuffed on third and short or his pass falls incomplete.

No denying painter is awful.

Painter is not aweful he's a pretty good QB for a backup, how you gonna criticize a guy who played his first game against the number one defense then his next game in a snowy weather? This preseason Painter threw a pic then came back the next drive and brung the colts down the field to get a field goal....

Now this whole thing about no one will be able to replace peyton, peyton is a great QB but not the best. Im as die hard a colts fan as it can get but tom brady is better. We always blame the short comings of the team in the playoffs on either the defense, special teams or line but never manning... Peyton is the best REGULAR SEASON QB ever, when it comes to Post season.. ehhh idk if its pressure or what but he's not the peyton from the reg season. I think if the colts got a good QB who got some good coaching the colts would still be a team to reckon with.

The Manning era Colts offense is custom built for Peyton and no one else can run it close to the way he can. Doesn't matter who we bring in as a back up. This offense is unique...no one else in the league can run it but us cause we got 18. I agree that it will be after 18 retires that the offense will be transformed into a more conventional type ala the Harbaugh days. It will then become easier to find serviceable qb's who can get the job done well enough to win if other aspects of the team like defense and running game are fortified.

For this year, focusing on the run primarily with Painter et. al in Manning's absence probably won't work because our line is built for pass protection and not so for the run. The offense won't change so long as we have Peyton and Painter doesn't appear to have enough grasp of it to run it competently. Painter running a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type offense right now would result mostly in 3 and outs when our backs get stuffed on third and short or his pass falls incomplete.

I'm actually hoping that we get some glimmer of improvement in that area. To me, it seems like the Colts are already moving in that direction, with Castonzo (granted, he's more a pass blocker), but also with Ijalana and beefing up the line in general. And let's not forget, we did pick up a powerful, bruising HB in Carter.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that Colts will be moving to a I-formation, grind-it-out, run-first offense anytime soon. But I do think that they've been moving towards fortifying the run game for a couple of years already. An improved run game will make the game easier for Painter, or whoever else is backing up Peyton. It just remains to be seen whether we'll start seeing the benefits of the changes this year or next....

I'm not so sure about this point. As I stated above, Eli's had his entire life to learn from Peyton. He has nowhere near the knowledge or cognitive skills that Peyton has.

I agree with this. This is also the reason why I don't think we'll draft Peyton's replacement while he's still playing. At earliest, maybe the year before Peyton retires. But I think it's much more likely we suffer through a few bad seasons, use a high draft pick on a blue-chip QB, and rebuild the offense around that player (similar to what we did with Peyton).

Most of what you hear peyton say on the field is nonsense just stuff to confuse the defense. The colts dont need to rebuild the team any good QB like a brees or phillip can come in and run the colts offense. its all about getting on page with your team mates thats all.

Painter is not aweful he's a pretty good QB for a backup, how you gonna criticize a guy who played his first game against the number one defense then his next game in a snowy weather? This preseason Painter threw a pic then came back the next drive and brung the colts down the field to get a field goal....

Now this whole thing about no one will be able to replace peyton, peyton is a great QB but not the best. Im as die hard a colts fan as it can get but tom brady is better. We always blame the short comings of the team in the playoffs on either the defense, special teams or line but never manning... Peyton is the best REGULAR SEASON QB ever, when it comes to Post season.. ehhh idk if its pressure or what but he's not the peyton from the reg season. I think if the colts got a good QB who got some good coaching the colts would still be a team to reckon with.

we are not comparing him to peyton,he is not any good even for a back-up.He has been in the system for 3 years and yet he constantly overthrows open men.Show me where he has been good,the throw to garcon?Where is there some kind of consistency?But hey don't take the obvious from me, ask a nfl scout like bucky brooks on nfl.com.How did feely the back-up qb for the rams look?

Personally, when I refer to no one being able to replace Peyton, I am specifically talking about under our current offensive system that has been designed specifically around him. I do not mean to assert that the Colts could not continue to win with a new quarterback under a different system implemented after Peyton retires.

Whether Tom Brady or anyone else is better or if Peyton is the G.O.A.T. is a matter of opinion on which you will get very animated discussion from fans around the league. lol

This is a tough call and I think that emotion can definately affect your view. Drafting a franchise QB isn't always as easy as it seems. Sometimes you get a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers where the talent translates from college to the NFL. Other times you get a Ryan Leaf or Matt Leinart... :wall:

If we would happen to draft a QB like an Aaron Rodgers who's talent translates to the pro game and he develops quickly under Peyton's guidance, would we as fans be upset watching the Colts let Peyton go so they can get some value at other positions. This strategy won the Packers a Super Bowl, but it has also backfired and plunged other teams into mediocrity.

Now this whole thing about no one will be able to replace peyton, peyton is a great QB but not the best. Im as die hard a colts fan as it can get but tom brady is better. We always blame the short comings of the team in the playoffs on either the defense, special teams or line but never manning... Peyton is the best REGULAR SEASON QB ever, when it comes to Post season.. ehhh idk if its pressure or what but he's not the peyton from the reg season.

I won't debate that too much, because it is somewhat subjective. I will say, though, that my argument was not that Peyton could never be replaced. My argument was that Peyton could never be adequately replaced in the offense the way it's currently constructed. As good as a QB Tom Brady is, I sincerely doubt that he would be able to switch places with Peyton and run the current Colts offense. Tom runs a offensive-coordinator driven offense that is very QB friendly (see: Matt Cassell, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett). I would argue that the Colts offense is actually a very QB unfriendly system.

I think if the colts got a good QB who got some good coaching the colts would still be a team to reckon with.

Maybe... but again, I don't see that happening until the Colts switch to a more standard (read: QB friendlier) offense, which won't happen until Manning retires.

I'm actually hoping that we get some glimmer of improvement in that area. To me, it seems like the Colts are already moving in that direction, with Castonzo (granted, he's more a pass blocker), but also with Ijalana and beefing up the line in general. And let's not forget, we did pick up a powerful, bruising HB in Carter.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that Colts will be moving to a I-formation, grind-it-out, run-first offense anytime soon. But I do think that they've been moving towards fortifying the run game for a couple of years already. An improved run game will make the game easier for Painter, or whoever else is backing up Peyton. It just remains to be seen whether we'll start seeing the benefits of the changes this year or next....

Yeah I get what you're saying. They are trying to address the run game. Like you say it depends on how soon we are able to start seeing benefits. It may be something that becomes more noticeable a couple of seasons from now when our rookies have had time to develop some.

we are not comparing him to peyton,he is not any good even for a back-up.He has been in the system for 3 years and yet he constantly overthrows open men.Show me where he has been good,the throw to garcon?Where is there some kind of consistency?But hey don't take the obvious from me, ask a nfl scout like bucky brooks on nfl.com.How did feely the back-up qb for the rams look?

Everyone knows painter cant compare to manning, just cause your in the system doesnt mean its gonna translate to the field if youve never played before. This whole talk about overthrowing collie could have went up for that ball BUT he didnt and everyone knows why he would have gotten lit up. Not every nfl scout is right either... Did you know that curtis was once considered a 1st round pick? the guy has skills fans are mad cause the guy didnt perform well in the undefeated season and cause the media is bashing him.

This is a college Vid but it shows you painter does have the skillsets and i believe if he had played half of that rams game he would have had a pretty good game.

Hey everybody, It's Curtis Painter himself, right here on our little message board.

I won't debate that too much, because it is somewhat subjective. I will say, though, that my argument was not that Peyton could never be replaced. My argument was that Peyton could never be adequately replaced in the offense the way it's currently constructed. As good as a QB Tom Brady is, I sincerely doubt that he would be able to switch places with Peyton and run the current Colts offense. Tom runs a offensive-coordinator driven offense that is very QB friendly (see: Matt Cassell, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett). I would argue that the Colts offense is actually a very QB unfriendly system.

Maybe... but again, I don't see that happening until the Colts switch to a more standard (read: QB friendlier) offense, which won't happen until Manning retires.

That is not true defenders have said that the colts run a very simple system but they just run and execute the play to a T, and that was also said by dallas clark one time on a afternoon gameshow. When it comes to "system" its basically the colts lingo but you take that out and compare it to any other team that runs the same offense and you wont tell the difference. thats why some QB's can go from one team to another and still perform at a high level.... You saw the rams game last night, what did dan orlovsky do on that pass to the TE he saw a blitz and he switched it...

Like i said before what makes peyton different from other QB's is his work ethic, and that could probably explain why he doesnt perform so well in the post season because of all that pressure, of course the defense and special teams dont always come up but he's not the same in the post season, and i can understand that cause when it comes to gametime those nerves take over.

Most of what you hear peyton say on the field is nonsense just stuff to confuse the defense. The colts dont need to rebuild the team any good QB like a brees or phillip can come in and run the colts offense. its all about getting on page with your team mates thats all.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you're understating Peyton's command of the offense. I'm sure you recall, but Peyton gets 3 plays from the OC every down: two passing and one running. He's completely free to pick any of those to run, or alternatively pick an entirely different play of his own choosing. Also, Peyton does change the plays more often than you give him credit for.

I'll point to our last Superbowl run, which of course... we lost. If you remember, we had a incredible run of come-from-behind wins... we probably had more comeback wins than outright wins, where we led from beginning to end.

Each of those comeback wins was almost completely on Peyton's shoulders. The reason why each of those wins were from behind, is because Peyton used those two first quarters to completely analyze and pick apart the defense. Usually, by the end of the 2nd quarter, he had the defense completely figured out. He subsequently made timely changes in the offensive plays to score really quickly at the end of the half, which continued into the second half. This became so predictable that you could almost reliably predict that Peyton would score right before halftime. It was so uncanny that Archie Manning was quoted as saying that, while watching Peyton play that season, he would tell himself "Yes, he's finally got it!"

And that really is my point... this Colts offense was built so that Manning can do all of that. Any other QB you get, is not going to be able to play in a "standard way", because our offense isn't built like that. Thus, I think you're wasting your time by trying to draft Peyton's replacement while Peyton is still playing.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you're understating Peyton's command of the offense. I'm sure you recall, but Peyton gets 3 plays from the OC every down: two passing and one running. He's completely free to pick any of those to run, or alternatively pick an entirely different play of his own choosing. Also, Peyton does change the plays more often than you give him credit for.

I'll point to our last Superbowl run, which of course... we lost. If you remember, we had a incredible run of come-from-behind wins... we probably had more comeback wins than outright wins, where we led from beginning to end.

Each of those comeback wins was almost completely on Peyton's shoulders. The reason why each of those wins were from behind, is because Peyton used those two first quarters to completely analyze the defense. Usually, by the end of the 2nd quarter, he had the defense completely figured out. He subsequently made timely changes in the offensive plays to score really quickly at the end of the half, which continued into the second half. This became so predictable that you could almost reliably predict that Peyton would score right before halftime. It was so uncanny that Archie Manning was quoted as saying that, while watching Peyton play that season, he would tell himself "Yes, he's finally got it!"

And that really is my point... this Colts offense was built so that Manning can do all of that. Any other QB you get, is not going to be able to play in a "standard way", because our offense isn't built like that. Thus, I think you're wasting your time by trying to draft Peyton's replacement while Peyton is still playing.

To be honest i dont really know about that one, unless you know what plays were called previously that peyton changed. You really havent said how the team is built i mean are they built in a way that manning can change plays? cause that doesnt make any sense. This teams money is mainly on the offensive side there's no denying that, and thats because most of their drafted 1st round picks are on the offensive side.... THATS ALL... The colts dont pick specific players for manning or anything like that. Thats why i said if any QB like a brees or brady came in they would have equal success.

Not much to pick at. The team is built around Peyton and no backup is going to fill his shoes, or they wouldn't be a backup.

It looks like we're making the attempt to move to the bigger O-Linemen and adding some power backs now. Some of that may be to ease the burden on Peyton, and some may be a forshadowing of the future.

BTW, you could make a similar post about the D being built around Freeney.

Absolutely, but before anyone tries to make something of that (which they probably have, or will anyway), any team with a franchise QB builds around the QB, any team with a franchise DE builds on that. That is the nature of the game, *especially* for a QB.

To be honest i dont really know about that one, unless you know what plays were called previously that peyton changed. You really havent said how the team is built i mean are they built in a way that manning can change plays?

If I remember correctly it was Tom Moore who stated that.

To be honest i dont really know about that one, unless you know what plays were called previously that peyton changed. You really havent said how the team is built i mean are they built in a way that manning can change plays? cause that doesnt make any sense. This teams money is mainly on the offensive side there's no denying that, and thats because most of their drafted 1st round picks are on the offensive side.... THATS ALL... The colts dont pick specific players for manning or anything like that. Thats why i said if any QB like a brees or brady came in they would have equal success.

Yes, they do pick players specifically for Peyton's playing style, as well as tailor the offensive scheme around him:

1) Emphasis on smart, intelligent receivers who can run multiple, precise routes, rather than WR's who can burn a 4.2 40-time, or athletic freaks that can jump into the stratosphere. Less emphasis on size and athleticism.

2) Until recently, emphasis on smaller, intelligent offensive linemen whose strength is pass-protection (ie at the cost of run blocking)

3) Until recently, emphasis on HB's whose strength is pass-blocking (ie Addai).

4) Heavy reliance on the shotgun formation.

5) Complete neglect of the FB position, in favor of an extra WR to run more routes.

6) And lastly, the use of the run game to keep the defense off-balance, rather than as a weapon in and of itself.

Strikingly (to me), it's the emphasis of intelligence over raw ability.

And they tailor the defense to suit Manning's playing style. Build a big lead, then rush the QB all day long. You could almost argue they built the entire Colts team around Manning's playing style.

There are probably others, but those are the ones that I can think of offhand.

Of course, I may be wrong. I'm simply speaking from the perspective of someone who watch the Colts a lot.

I really don't think that's what we need. If Manning goes down, there's no replacing him. No one's going to be able to man the QB spot to Manning's level. The offense, as it stands now, completely hinges on Manning's cognitive football skills. You're not going to find anyone who can do it at his level, and you're certainly not going to be able to teach someone to do it. Eli Manning has been around Peyton his whole life and arguably has greater physical tools. If he can't pick up Peyton's recognition skills, I doubt you can teach it to anyone. Manning's simply a unique and once-in-a-lifetime talent....

Personally, I think what you do is develop the run game to more formidable level. The Colt's offense has been way too skewed towards passing for way too long. Fixing this does a few critical things:

1) It makes the offense less reliant on Manning. Peyton's arguably the greatest QB that's ever played, but even his skills and recognition skills have failed him at certain critical times. Hey, it happens... he's human. But by making the run game more prominent, you ease the burden on Manning... so when he does having one of his infrequent bad moments, there is less heck to pay for it.

2) You make the offense more potent overall. This offense was best when it had a premier running game (ie the Edgerrin James days) that would set up the play-action pass. You're going to fix a lot of problems with the offense by re-instating this.

3) And finally (and most relevant to this discussion), by installing a formidable running attack, you don't need a premier backup QB in case Manning goes down. You just need someone serviceable to run the offense and not turn the ball over. You don't ask him to win the game... you simply ask him to be a caretaker. Curtis Painter can fill that role. Dan Orlovsky can fill that role. Heck, even Jim Sorgi can fill that role. If Manning goes down, you just lean on the running game until Manning comes back. You can even win a SB with a caretaker QB... witness Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

I feel that the Colts are already moving in this direction by drafting Castanzo and Ijalana, as well as beefing up the line with McClendon and others. When Manning retires, that's really the time to draft his replacement (not now), which IMO will require revamping the entire offense to a more standard passing attack.

TL,DR version: I think you'll get a lot more bang-for-the-buck by improving the run game than wasting time/money in a higher-quality backup QB who 1) likely won't see the field, and 2) likely won't be your long-term starter once Manning retires

The colts have been trying to improve the running game for at least 3 years now. Theres no denying that. I would say right now we have a chance this year to actually do that. So, isnt want you are saying really irrelevant? You basically have stated the obvious. I'm not trying to bash your thread here at all. This is just how i see things. With our short time being able to prepare this off season, It would make sense to me, to pick up another QB. We have peyton, who was out all of pre-season a couple years ago, and it took him half the season to regain his timing with the offense. picking up another QB, just like that year, is normal and in fact is a smart move. We don't know if peyton is gonna be healthy. When not fully healthy, you risk getting injured. So why not? What if [ainter goes down? We gonna put addai in there? lol, yeah, i dont think so. We are slowly improving the running game.. Right now we need 3 QBs. Painter is a lock to make the team this year. Thats jmo. maybe not in the coming years. But this year, hes a LOCK...

Yes, they do pick players specifically for Peyton's playing style, as well as tailor the offensive scheme around him:

1) Emphasis on smart, intelligent receivers who can run multiple, precise routes, rather than WR's who can burn a 4.2 40-time, or athletic freaks that can jump into the stratosphere. Less emphasis on size and athleticism.

2) Until recently, emphasis on smaller, intelligent offensive linemen whose strength is pass-protection (ie at the cost of run blocking)

3) Until recently, emphasis on HB's whose strength is pass-blocking (ie Addai).

4) Heavy reliance on the shotgun formation.

5) Complete neglect of the FB position, in favor of an extra WR to run more routes.

6) And lastly, the use of the run game to keep the defense off-balance, rather than as a weapon in and of itself.

Strikingly (to me), it's the emphasis of intelligence over raw ability.

And they tailor the defense to suit Manning's playing style. Build a big lead, then rush the QB all day long. You could almost argue they built the entire Colts team around Manning's playing style.

There are probably others, but those are the ones that I can think of offhand.

Of course, I may be wrong. I'm simply speaking from the perspective of someone who watch the Colts a lot.

Wow im not trying to sound mean here but where do you get those points your talking about?

1... Garcon he's not the smartest tool in the shed compared to most of the receivers in the league

2... i cant deny the whole offensive line part they wanna protect their QB but i do not agree on the neglect the run part.

3... I can gurantee you addai was not drafted because of his pass blocking skills because he did not have much of it in LSU, nor does Brown, or Carter... they learn that..... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/705.html

4... I cant argue that since peyton is the QB though before they relied heavily on the two TE formation

5... Like i said previously that can be arguable they did alot of two TE set formations cause of dallas clarks mismatch

6... Its obvious they did that cause they never had a threat when they had Edge if he was on the ball they would simply ride with it.

Your statement about the defense is a bit surprising as well, the colts basically run a tampa 2 defense if you know anything about that you would know that requires speed rather than seize and blubber also the colts rather fill up the offensive side with weapons than draft super early for a defensive guy.

So basically this team was not built around peyton he just happens to be manning (pun intended) the gun lol

The colts have been trying to improve the running game for at least 3 years now. Theres no denying that. I would say right now we have a chance this year to actually do that. So, isnt want you are saying really irrelevant? You basically have stated the obvious. I'm not trying to bash your thread here at all. This is just how i see things. With our short time being able to prepare this off season, It would make sense to me, to pick up another QB. We have peyton, who was out all of pre-season a couple years ago, and it took him half the season to regain his timing with the offense. picking up another QB, just like that year, is normal and in fact is a smart move. We don't know if peyton is gonna be healthy. When not fully healthy, you risk getting injured. So why not? What if [ainter goes down? We gonna put addai in there? lol, yeah, i dont think so. We are slowly improving the running game.. Right now we need 3 QBs. Painter is a lock to make the team this year. Thats jmo. maybe not in the coming years. But this year, hes a LOCK...

No offense taken. It's just my take on it, and I may be completely off my rocker.

I actually agree with you, btw. The Colts have been (appropriately) working to improve their run game over the years. What they haven't been doing (also appropriately, IMO) is wasting too much time/resources into getting backup QBs... or Peyton's eventual replacement, for that matter. That's not where your highest yield is going to be.

I have no problem picking up cheap, extra QBs, like they've done this season. What I don't think they'll do, though, is use a relatively high draft pick on a backup QB, similar to the Pats and Ryan Mallet.... At least until Manning is retired, anyways.

Help me out here....I have never, ever, not once seen Painter put together a drive for a TOUCHDOWN.....

No offense taken. It's just my take on it, and I may be completely off my rocker.

I actually agree with you, btw. The Colts have been (appropriately) working to improve their run game over the years. What they haven't been doing (also appropriately, IMO) is wasting too much time/resources into getting backup QBs... or Peyton's eventual replacement, for that matter. That's not where your highest yield is going to be.

I have no problem picking up cheap, extra QBs, like they've done this season. What I don't think they'll do, though, is use a relatively high draft pick on a backup QB, similar to the Pats and Ryan Mallet.... At least until Manning is retired, anyways.

My hopes are, that when payton retires he will be willing to come back as a consultant for our QB. So that we wont draft a QB for his replacement before he is retired. Therefore he can put all his focus on winning games like he does now. And also, it will give our new QB much needed playing time. I think i heard Peyton say the best way for a rookie QB to get better, is to just play right from the start, much like he did.

Wow im not trying to sound mean here but where do you get those points your talking about?

1... Garcon he's not the smartest tool in the shed compared to most of the receivers in the league

2... i cant deny the whole offensive line part they wanna protect their QB but i do not agree on the neglect the run part.

3... I can gurantee you addai was not drafted because of his pass blocking skills because he did not have much of it in LSU, nor does Brown, or Carter... they learn that..... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/705.html

4... I cant argue that since peyton is the QB though before they relied heavily on the two TE formation

5... Like i said previously that can be arguable they did alot of two TE set formations cause of dallas clarks mismatch

6... Its obvious they did that cause they never had a threat when they had Edge if he was on the ball they would simply ride with it.

Your statement about the defense is a bit surprising as well, the colts basically run a tampa 2 defense if you know anything about that you would know that requires speed rather than seize and blubber also the colts rather fill up the offensive side with weapons than draft super early for a defensive guy.

So basically this team was not built around peyton he just happens to be manning (pun intended) the gun lol

Maybe... and again, this is just my take on things. :D

Just a few points:

1) Garcon's a bit of an anomaly, but then again, he was almost a throwaway late pick. Wayne, Gonzalez, and Collie all fit that profile, and were targeted with high draft picks, which tells me that's really what they look for in WRs.

2) No further comment.

3) I disagree. I distinctly remember that blocking was one of the reasons the front office cited for why the Colts liked Addai with the pick that year. Your scouting report is inaccurate. He was actually a pretty accomplished blocker out of LSU.

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/405288

Unlike most featured backs, he displays solid blocking technique.

...he shows good patience waiting for his blocks to develop...

Very aggressive cut blocker who is effective at chipping and landing on pass rushers

Addai is a physical inside runner who excels as a cut blocker. He shows good determination executing chip blocks on the down linemen and is alert to pick up the blitz. He can be pushed back sometimes when trying to provide the quarterback pass protection due to his size, but he works hard to get a piece of the pass rusher. He squares to target and strikes with force when locating linebackers in the second level. Even when giving up considerable bulk, he does not hesitate to step up with aggression to face up or cut.

If you read that scouting report out of his days at LSU, it sounds exactly like what we got out of Addai as a blocker. My memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I also seem to remember him being a pretty good blocker his rookie year with the Colts.

4) Fair enough.

5) You can still have a FB and still keep Dallas as the single TE.

6) Fair enough.

Regarding the defense, yeah... that might be a bit of a stretch. But then again, you could argue that Tony Dungy was brought to the Colts in 2002 because they knew they were going to get a lot of big leads with Manning (who was already there 3-4 years), which plays directly to the strength of the Tampa 2 to get to the QB in obvious passing situations.

Help me out here....I have never, ever, not once seen Painter put together a drive for a TOUCHDOWN.....

I've seen this movie before. I say we just cut the kid and part ways, move on to new prospects. He has arena league written all over him.

Is there a heady veteran back up qb out there?Probaly not,but feeley looked good.A guy like that who has had a little success would be perfect.I know peyton never misses a game but if he was out for 3 games and we could go 1-2 it wouldn't be devastating.I just do not think painter can win a game in a pinch.

Is there a heady veteran back up qb out there?Probaly not,but feeley looked good.A guy like that who has had a little success would be perfect.I know peyton never misses a game but if he was out for 3 games and we could go 1-2 it wouldn't be devastating.I just do not think painter can win a game in a pinch.

Had my eye on Feely as well. He did look polished. I also thought Rosenfels playing behind Peyton's lil bro in NY would've been a solid insurance policy.