Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LeGarrette Blount

There's a good chance he gets cut with the Bucs drafting Martin. If he is cut, would you want him and his character concerns? I think it would be worth it. He would be the short yardage back we've wanted to find. Pagano could straighten him out, I don't picture Rasheem Morris as a real scary disciplinarian.

First, Greg Schiano is head coach at Tampa and Morris is out the door. Two, Blount has a fumble problem on top of his other well known issues. Besides, what prevents the Bucs from using him as their short yardage back (assuming they aren't scared he'll put the ball on the turf in trying to do so) with Martin getting the bulk of the load? They really aren't deep at RB if I recall correctly.

I lean to no, if indeed he is released.

The likelihood of Blount being cut is slim. He may not be re-signed when he becomes a free agent, but he most likely won't be cut. He's been too productive. That said, Martin definitely signals either a two back approach, or to a phasing out of Blount in the future. In any case, Blount won't be available for some time.

First, Greg Schiano is head coach at Tampa and Morris is out the door. Two, Blount has a fumble problem on top of his other well known issues. Besides, what prevents the Bucs from using him as their short yardage back (assuming they aren't scared he'll put the ball on the turf in trying to do so) with Martin getting the bulk of the load? They really aren't deep at RB if I recall correctly.

I know he's gone, I'm not convinced in Schiano. He wasn't that spectacular with Rutgers. They have their power back now, it would make sense to sign a speedster and cut Blount.

NO ! we drafted Ballard and still have carter as well as our young FB both Gronkowski and Mahaffey , I know that they have little or no experience.. if we can pick anyone up I see us grabbing a CB..I think that doesn't happen unless Freeney's contract is renegotiated to a much better cap hit.

A guy who punches someone in the face and then hides behind teammates? No thanks.

The guy who got punched in the face deserved it. That's what happens when punks run up on guys who aren't punks.

Now...going after the crowd ala Ron Artest...that was a bit overboard. Nevertheless, he was/is young. I'd take him in a nanosecond. With that said...past trading for him...I don't see him being available. I'd trade Donald Brown for him!! :)

What fumbling problem? in 27 games he has only fumbled the ball 6 times and only two of them were lost. i dont see that as a fumbling issue at all. and having a stat line of 385 carries and 1,788 yards with 11 TD's in just two years isnt that bad concidering he split time with graham and lumpkin. and as far as ddepth goes, they have graham,lumpkin, madu and now martin. but i agree there is no reason why the bucs wouldnt keep blount as their short yardage or goal line back. but the issue of fumbling is not an issue at all when he has only fumbled 6 times in 385 carries. granted hes no Chris johnson or adrian peterson even maurice jones drew for that matter, but if released yeah the colts should sign him even if its for a year to see how he performs.

I see people talking about a fumbling issue....what fumbling issue? 6 fumbles in 385 carries where only two were loss is not an issue. what really stands out is his 1700 yards rushing and 4.6 yards a carry in his two years in the NFL.

Blount - 385 Att 1,788 yards 4.6 avg yards a carry 11 TD's 6 fumbles 2 lost

Brown - 341 Att 1,423 yards 4.2 avg yards a carry 10 TD's 1 fumble 0 lost

Carter - 101 Att 377 yards 3.7 avg yards a carry 2 TD's 3 fumbles 3 lost

with the newly drafted RB in ballard and if the colts did sign blount (that is if he were to be released which isnt likely) the odd man out would prob be carter.

seeing that the bucs will more then likely NOT cut blount my post is useless lol. but its good to know in the 2 years that brown has been in the nfl he is averaging 4.2 yards a carry and is only getting better.

There's a good chance he gets cut with the Bucs drafting Martin. If he is cut, would you want him and his character concerns? I think it would be worth it. He would be the short yardage back we've wanted to find. Pagano could straighten him out, I don't picture Rasheem Morris as a real scary disciplinarian.

No way. For one, a professional athlete should not need a scary disciplinarian. Also, there was a reason Blount was bench most of the second half of the second; the only offensive responsiblility he can handle is taking a handoff. He cannot (or will not) pass block, he's not a receiving threat, and the only thing he could actually do (run the ball) he did borderline poorly late last season:

Week 14: 18 att 74 yards 1td

Week 15: 9 att 21 yards 0td

Week 16: 2 att 11 yards 0td

Week 17: 6 att 12 yards 0td

And this a Tampa Bay team that also did not light it up passing either, so they NEEDED Blount, but he was M.I.A.. Lastly, the Colts just drafted Ballard, who is virtually physically similar to Blount, but with more willingness to learn...

A guy who punches someone in the face and then hides behind teammates? No thanks.

LOL...i've watched that incident many times over, he hardly 'hid' behind his teammates. His teammates pushed him off the field, then he started to go after the fans who were heckling him near the exits (which is what really got him suspended). Regardless, the guy Blount hit should have stuck to running his mouth and kept his hands off Blount since it was obvious he was all talk...

What fumbling problem? in 27 games he has only fumbled the ball 6 times and only two of them were lost. i dont see that as a fumbling issue at all. and having a stat line of 385 carries and 1,788 yards with 11 TD's in just two years isnt that bad concidering he split time with graham and lumpkin. and as far as ddepth goes, they have graham,lumpkin, madu and now martin. but i agree there is no reason why the bucs wouldnt keep blount as their short yardage or goal line back. but the issue of fumbling is not an issue at all when he has only fumbled 6 times in 385 carries. granted hes no Chris johnson or adrian peterson even maurice jones drew for that matter, but if released yeah the colts should sign him even if its for a year to see how he performs.

http://espn.go.com/b...mbles-must-stop

Excerpt-

"Schiano’s had time to review film of last year’s Bucs and it’s obvious one thing stood out to him about Tampa Bay’s top running back last season. Blount fumbled five times and lost three of them. Those fumbles came at critical times and it’s important to note that not a single one came during Tampa Bay’s 4-2 start. They all came during a 10-game losing streak to finish the season that cost Raheem Morris his job.

In fact, you can trace Tampa Bay’s collapse straight to Blount’s fumbles. The Bucs were on a five-game losing streak, but still playing most opponents closely. Then, they went to Tennessee on Nov. 27 and played well enough to win. They didn’t. They lost 23-17, mainly because Blount lost two fumbles."

I know he's gone, I'm not convinced in Schiano. He wasn't that spectacular with Rutgers. They have their power back now, it would make sense to sign a speedster and cut Blount.

I'm with you on Schiano, but perhaps for a different reason. Harbaugh's 2011 season aside, I've never put much stock in college coaches going to the NFL. But he does have a lot of young talent to work with, so who knows...

Thats an interesting story, but not once did they mention his number of fumbles. starting to sound like this new head coach of theirs wants him to be maurice jones drew or adrian peterson. but here is the link to his stats and shows his career fumbles....

http://espn.go.com/n...garrette-blount

oh and my mistake 4 fumbles were lost. now keep in mind this is rushing stats not his receiving stats as i know he has fumbled 3 times as a receiver too. but were strictly talking running the ball. lol

Thats an interesting story, but not once did they mention his number of fumbles. starting to sound like this new head coach of theirs wants him to be maurice jones drew or adrian peterson. but here is the link to his stats and shows his career fumbles....

9 fumbles, 6 lost in two years. Last year, 5 fumbles, 3 lost. And 781 yards in 14 games. No blocking skills, I'll pass.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlouLe00.htm

lumpkins in seattle

In all likelihood ESPN's stats are wrong given how they are incongruous with the ones on NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/player/legarretteblount/497149/profile

Five fumbles on less than 200 total touches is pretty terrible. It's not pre-2004 Tiki Barber bad but it's awfully close and unequivocally qualifies Blount as being fumble prone.

Stopped reading after this sentence. No there isn't. He might be on a short leash if he fumbles a lot this season, but that's it.

a lot iof ifs there...hard to see them cutting him//

We have running backs...

I could see Martin pushing Blount out the door, you dont draft a running back as early as they did, first round I believe if I remember right and not think about replacing your current running back, now maybe Martin is just competition but looks to be competition that can push Blount out the door given Blounts attitude issues, if that happens would I take a look at him? tough call but I say no, we have enough running backs and this is their year to prove themselves, if they cant get one in the draft (Montee Ball)

LOL...i've watched that incident many times over, he hardly 'hid' behind his teammates. His teammates pushed him off the field, then he started to go after the fans who were heckling him near the exits (which is what really got him suspended). Regardless, the guy Blount hit should have stuck to running his mouth and kept his hands off Blount since it was obvious he was all talk...

All right, let me rephrase it....he punched the kid, then immediately stepped away to avoid retaliation. I feel if someone deserves a hit to the face in the middle of a sporting contest, deliver the blow and stand there to let them know you meant it...and then take the consequences, be it from the other player, or from the refs. I see it as a sign of his character...just my opinion.

He's a punk.... no way.

All right, let me rephrase it....he punched the kid, then immediately stepped away to avoid retaliation. I feel if someone deserves a hit to the face in the middle of a sporting contest, deliver the blow and stand there to let them know you meant it...

and then take the consequences, be it from the other player, or from the refs. I see it as a sign of his character...just my opinion.

haha he has bad character because he punched a guy wrong? I think there are other reasons he has bad character.

NO ! we drafted Ballard and still have carter as well as our young FB both Gronkowski and Mahaffey , I know that they have little or no experience.. if we can pick anyone up I see us grabbing a CB..I think that doesn't happen unless Freeney's contract is renegotiated to a much better cap hit.

Both Gronk and Mahaffey are slow and devoid of any running talents, and aren't good enough blockers to warrant keeping, IMO. I would love to bring him in as a FB or HB if he is cut or not resigned.

9 fumbles, 6 lost in two years. Last year, 5 fumbles, 3 lost. And 781 yards in 14 games. No blocking skills, I'll pass.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlouLe00.htm

your also not putting into concideration that he was splitting carries with two other backs.

haha he has bad character because he punched a guy wrong? I think there are other reasons he has bad character.

I dont think anyone should punch someone in a sporting contest. One of the posters in the thread previously said that the guy deserved it. My contention was that if someone actually did something that warranted getting punched during a sporting contest, then be a man and stand up to the guy you popped rather than dancing away like it was a cheap shot. Yes, to me that speaks about his character. It does not define all that aspects of himself in which he shows bad character. I live in Oregon, and this kid has been talked about in this state ad nauseum. Once again, we were asked our opinon and I gave mine. Sticking with it, too. :yes:

This is a little off-topic, but I think Schiano needs a little more credit for what he did at Rutgers--turning that program completely around into something respectable, giving them their first bowl appearance in nearly 30 years, first Top 25 ranking in 30 years (#6 at one point) and putting out good professional talent like Ray Rice and Kenny Britt.

Anyway, there's no chance the Bucs are cutting Blount, but he's better than any halfback on our roster right now...although I think Ballard will be something special. I'm not worried about his character either. He hasn't had any (real) problems since that fight he got into at a Titans practice when he was on their practice squad. And I think that run against Green Bay last year shows that he's been channeling his pride in a more acceptable and constructive way. Tampa has a great 1-2 punch now.

Exactly what I was going to say. After he dropped that dude like a bag of dirt, I don't remember Blount "hiding" behind anyone.