Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

coltsguy510

He was so good in college. I really feel like this is his year!!!

He shows that he is good against the run, can rush the passer, and is a hustle type of player. I think that he may just be a late bloomer and that Pagano can make him blossom. He has the size of a 3-4 LB. That was actually his main concern coming out of college, that he was a 4-3 DE in a 3-4 OLB's body. I hope he can be one of our future OLB's. http://www.nfldrafts...2010&genpos=OLB NFL Draft Scout has him as an OLB.

Did he even get the chance to play under former staff? I dont really think so,If hes going to shine,it will be under this coach and system,but its going to be up to him,.John Dee your right on,i think its produce or goodbye

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5838&line=231844&spln=1

But I also read somewhere that Jerry was taking turns starting.... Hughes won't be let go anytime soon, one he's a 1st round pick and two they need that quality depth, three they know he hasn't played that much... by the looks of things the colts are full with pass rushers.

I thunk he could really benifiet from playing at a stand up position and being able to use his speed. If our DE play decent I think he could become a good speed rusher. I dont think that 4-3 was really for him because he is smaller and the odffensive linemen were too big and strong for him. In this defense heck have the DE ends taking on that tackle so he just needs to be quick use a move and get to the QB or scrape and find the ball. He seems to be able to anticipate the snap count well and gets off the ball well to. I think this could jumpstart his NFL career if he really wants it.

http://www.rotoworld...e=231844&spln=1

But I also read somewhere that Jerry was taking turns starting.... Hughes won't be let go anytime soon, one he's a 1st round pick and two they need that quality depth, three they know he hasn't played that much... by the looks of things the colts are full with pass rushers.

This. Hughes is depth. And late 1st round pick money isn't a bad price to pay for it.

Personally, I think Polian really >>>ed the pooch on some picks. 1st rounders are EXPECTED to produce. Yet...

We have Addai, he drafts Brown.

We have Freeney/Mathis, he drafts Hughes.

The only time this mindset worked was when he drafted Jackson/Hayden to learn behind Harper/David. But even then, instead of getting 4 good cheap years out of those youngsters, we got 2 from Jackson and 2 cheap ones from Hayden and a few uber expensive seasons. Personally, the whole BPA is a bunch of malarkey, IMO. The BPA is typically who the staff wants it to be. They go in with a mind set, and determine the player's value. There has to be bias in it.

I just hope to see that type of BPA method go away. Hughes was drafted onto a team where he was a clear underdog. It was quite unlikely that he'd take any time away from Mathis or Freeney. It would've been much wiser to pick up pass rushing depth in rounds 2 or 3, and to have used pick 1 on someone who would be given a chance to contribute. Eh, now I am just ranting.

This. Hughes is depth. And late 1st round pick money isn't a bad price to pay for it.

Personally, I think Polian really >>>ed the pooch on some picks. 1st rounders are EXPECTED to produce. Yet...

We have Addai, he drafts Brown.

We have Freeney/Mathis, he drafts Hughes.

The only time this mindset worked was when he drafted Jackson/Hayden to learn behind Harper/David. But even then, instead of getting 4 good cheap years out of those youngsters, we got 2 from Jackson and 2 cheap ones from Hayden and a few uber expensive seasons. Personally, the whole BPA is a bunch of malarkey, IMO. The BPA is typically who the staff wants it to be. They go in with a mind set, and determine the player's value. There has to be bias in it.

I just hope to see that type of BPA method go away. Hughes was drafted onto a team where he was a clear underdog. It was quite unlikely that he'd take any time away from Mathis or Freeney. It would've been much wiser to pick up pass rushing depth in rounds 2 or 3, and to have used pick 1 on someone who would be given a chance to contribute. Eh, now I am just ranting.

I agree the way the colts did things in peytons time was a bit weird, its like they were hitting the same position hoping that they can find that player neglecting the fact that they had starters in front of them or there's other areas of need...

This is Hughes' make or break year. It's a new defensive style (one that he is more fitted to) with a new coaching staff (so he isn't in anyone's doghouse) and it's his 3rd year in the league, so he knows how everything works. He has no excuses. If he doesn't have a good year, I think he's done in Indy

I agree the way the colts did things in peytons time was a bit weird, its like they were hitting the same position hoping that they can find that player neglecting the fact that they had starters in front of them or there's other areas of need...

The Colts did this because they recognized that they had players that they didn't think they would be able to resign. They made HUGE commitments to Peyton and Freeney and Reggie and so on but they realized good quality starters would have to be let go to stay under the cap. They identified those players a couple years out..then drafted to replace them when they left. Very likely they realized Mathis was gone last year or Freeney the next. (Freeney was starting to show signs of injury issues) Hughes steps in for the guy. Next guy up mentality.

I agree the BPA is very biased. You saw 100 different evaluations on here...and thus the team had their own. It also was BPA that fit their plans too. Obviously they weren't going to take a QB or WR or C or TE when they had veteren pro bowler in that role already. BPA was based on their needs on a team that was usually 1 win away from a Super Bowl...not the worst team in the league that needs every position.

Jerry won't go anywhere. He has two years left. His contract isn't inhibiting us from signing players. Freeney is likely gone after the end of the season. Hughes has an opportunity this year to show what he is. Simply a back up or if he has starter abilities in this league. He will play out his contract. We need the depth and we will see how he transitions in the new defense. Hope he plays lights out! Imagine if he can step in next year to replace Freeney and we don't have to use that money in FA. We could address other positions...it just speeds up the process of us getting better faster!

If this guy had any talent (NFL) he'd have been given more opportunities. He wasn't even dressed for games when fit, which tells me he showed zilch in training. Sure, we've nothing to lose in giving him another shot in the new scheme, but I'm thinking he's had his chips. Like everyone else though, I'd be delighted if he came good.

If this guy had any talent (NFL) he'd have been given more opportunities. He wasn't even dressed for games when fit, which tells me he showed zilch in training. Sure, we've nothing to lose in giving him another shot in the new scheme, but I'm thinking he's had his chips. Like everyone else though, I'd be delighted if he came good.

To give him opportunities, you take them away from Freeney and Mathis. See the problem?

Clearly, ambition may be a problem for the guy, but when you put him behind two pro-bowlers, odds are he won't be beating anyone out of a job any time soon. That type of setup has to be discouraging for someone selected in the first round. I'd like to see him get a shot. Whether that happens, who knows.

As to whether this is a make or break season. I wouldn't go that far. If he proves to be adequate, he is still young enough to get better. Could be a Mathis and Hughes combo next season. This season will be about learning a new position. If he does alright, picks it up, and performs adequately (not spectacularly), he'll probably get a shot to earn the position next year if Freeney moves on.

To give him opportunities, you take them away from Freeney and Mathis. See the problem?

Clearly, ambition may be a problem for the guy, but when you put him behind two pro-bowlers, odds are he won't be beating anyone out of a job any time soon. That type of setup has to be discouraging for someone selected in the first round. I'd like to see him get a shot. Whether that happens, who knows.

As to whether this is a make or break season. I wouldn't go that far. If he proves to be adequate, he is still young enough to get better. Could be a Mathis and Hughes combo next season. This season will be about learning a new position. If he does alright, picks it up, and performs adequately (not spectacularly), he'll probably get a shot to earn the position next year if Freeney moves on.

I believe that if he showed any decent aptitude for the role, he would have got plenty snaps behind F&M. They never gave him enough opportunities because he didn't show he could hack the pro game. Well, that's the alternative way to look at it. I wouldn't say may view is any better than yours, we'll let 2012 dictate who was nearer to the truth! I hope it's you....

Hughes is fast, strong, and has a high IQ but he has not been able to start. He has not even been respected as a ST player. He has played behind two pro bowl DEs and with the switch to the 3-4 he will still be playing behind the same players as a LB. If Freeney and Mathis move to LBs they will probably stay on the field more than in the past because they will be double teamed less. I believe Hughes has to move to another position in order to start. He was a good RB in high school and could move to FB to compete with Gronkowski or he could move to ILB and compete with Angerer and Conner. He is smart enough to call plays on defense if he got repititions at ILB. He is a bigger LB than Conner and Angerer. Right now Conner and Angerer have shown they can make a lot of tackles but they are not intimadators. Teams do not fear running up the middle on the Colts. A good NT will help some but we still need that tough inside LB. Can Hughes be that tough ILB?

Hughes is fast, strong, and has a high IQ but he has not been able to start. He has not even been respected as a ST player. He has played behind two pro bowl DEs and with the switch to the 3-4 he will still be playing behind the same players as a LB. If Freeney and Mathis move to LBs they will probably stay on the field more than in the past because they will be double teamed less. I believe Hughes has to move to another position in order to start. He was a good RB in high school and could move to FB to compete with Gronkowski or he could move to ILB and compete with Angerer and Conner. He is smart enough to call plays on defense if he got repititions at ILB. He is a bigger LB than Conner and Angerer. Right now Conner and Angerer have shown they can make a lot of tackles but they are not intimadators. Teams do not fear running up the middle on the Colts. A good NT will help some but we still need that tough inside LB. Can Hughes be that tough ILB?

If he can't make an impact in his 'real' position, I fail to see how we can predict success at another less familiar one. But it's a funny old game, this football, so who knows.

I'm hoping for us that the new system, an aging Dwight Freeney, and new coaching staff are his new ticket to stardom, but I am a glass is half empty kinda guy and my expectations aren't too high. I mean come on 12 total solo tackles and 1 sack in two years are super weak stats. Plus it seems we are moving away from quick small defensive lineman, w/ a few exceptions. I am really pulling for him, but history and reality have their place in this debate.

I don't have a lot of hope either. If the guy was a true gamer he would make things happen even on special teams if he had to. To me he has sulked and not put the effort in to warrant much playing time.

All I can say is hopefully a new staff/scheme will be something that can motivate him.

could be a ray lewis type

I think he was selected for a system that he just didn't fit and now he may just be in the system that he should have been in the first place. Regardless, he could still fail, because sometimes, missed opportunities don't come back around the block. If he succeeds, I would predict that it is because of his ability to rewrite his opportunity, not because he finally "gets it".

I think this year is his last chance to shine. New defense, new hope, new chance. If he can impress on the limited snaps he gets, he deserves to maybe even replace Freeney. Sounds crazy, but remember, the Colts drafted him in the hopes that he would succeed one of our monsters.

I think this year is his last chance to shine. New defense, new hope, new chance. If he can impress on the limited snaps he gets, he deserves to maybe even replace Freeney. Sounds crazy, but remember, the Colts drafted him in the hopes that he would succeed one of our monsters.

Hughes has been taking reps behind Mathis at LOLB. If Freeney leaves do we move Mathis to ROLB to replace Freeney so Hughes can play the left?

many believed he was best suited as a olb coming out of tcu. he was drafted in the 1st round for a reason because of his raw talent. he'll never get any playing time as long as freeney and mathis are still there. once freeney is gone next year hughes will have his chance to prove that he is capable of leading the team in sacks.

I feel Hughes will make it happen in this new 3-4 scheme. I feel he has the speed to cover backs out of the backfield and the size to make a impact. In the old system he got swallowed up because he didnt have the hand skills to get blockers off of him. I feel big things will come from Hughes this year. Go Colts.