Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ranking homefield advantage in the NFL

Jules

I'd argue that the Seahawks should be at #3. Homefield advantage is about the fans, in my opinion. A team like the Pats has shown they can win on the road and at home. But I've never heard much about the crowd noise or anything like that at Gillette Stadium. But at Qwest Field, you know the fans are going to be loud. Heck, if I remember right, they even caused a tiny earthquake a while ago

I'd argue that the Seahawks should be at #3. Homefield advantage is about the fans, in my opinion. A team like the Pats has shown they can win on the road and at home. But I've never heard much about the crowd noise or anything like that at Gillette Stadium. But at Qwest Field, you know the fans are going to be loud. Heck, if I remember right, they even caused a tiny earthquake a while ago

I agree with this.

The "old" stadium (Foxboro) was much louder than Gillette. I don't think HFA there has much to do with crowd noise (fans are, after all, bundled up in hats, parkas, and gloves from October through the end of the season). Plus it's an open-air stadium, not the "bowl" design that they used to be, and speaking from strictly a standpoint of containing and/or reflecting sound, it's not advantageous.

I think the HFA the Pats have enjoyed is more a result of the overall excellence of the team from 2009-2011, not so much from what the stadium does for them.

If I am a Giants fan, I am hoping the Giants stay as far away from home as possible. Eli has won more road playoff wins (5) in the NFL than Bradshaw and Montana combined in the playoffs (4). Something about Giants on the road. That is also most in the NFL, past and present, 5 wins on the road in the NFL playoffs. Eli is 5-1. Eli Manning’s only road playoff road loss was 23-20 at Philadelphia in 2006 playoffs when he ties the game up to watch the Giants' D let the Eagles take the ball down the field for a game clinching FG by David Akers with time winding down. Ironically, that is also the ONLY game where the opponent scored more than 20 pts vs the Giants in the 6 games in Eli's 5-1 road record :).

Active QBs with 2 or more road playoff wins: Mark Sanchez 4-2, Joe Flacco 4-4, Tom Brady 3-2, Aaron Rodgers 3-1, Big Ben 3-1, Peyton Manning 2-5

steelers should be in first place. the quality of their field is the ultimate equalizer

It's weird to see the Jaguars and Cardinals ahead of us.

That is why I really do not like this list. Being at the top is less about homefield advantage than it is just being a team who has generally performed well during the regular season over the last three years and, thus, would be expected to win a lot of home games. If you're going to do a ranking like this you have to at least try and isolate homefield advantage (the fans, climate, field conditions, etc.) independent of other factors and that simply was not done here.

The 12th Man is a Beast in the Pacific Northwest!!! You've got that right 21isSuperman. SeaHawks should swap positions with the Falcons at 5 on the list. No one is intimidated by Atlanta. But the hiring of Mike Nolan as DC should help the dirty birds tremendously down the road in my view.

thanks for the posting, not sure how his is ranking the teams, and the numbers are all over the place for each column . . . .but for me I would look at the Seahawks and Saints . . .and I agree with what some have said and that HFA is something that you can put a numerical value on and to degree so may get a gauge on the difference between home and away records . . .

A team could be a 500 team but have the best HFA . . .

I alos dont buy his ATS weighing . . .

but like he said it is fun to take about stuff like this during the lull in the NFL year . . .

The hole in this is that the Vegas favorite in an NFL game

has only partly to do with the strength of the two teams.

Its what the gamblers will bet on...

Dalas is favoried more often than they should be at hoem (I think) because of the high visibility of the team

I think Seattle has the best home field advantage. Its wet, chilly, and breazy. The stadium was made to trap noise in, even in a outside venue. They just need a good team.

That's one thing I would focus on if I was building a stadium. I would have the engineers design it so that it traps the noise and makes it as loud as possible.

I don't think homefield advantage can be calculated into a numerical formula.

I agree!

For years the Cheilfs had a stat that they never lost a game at home in the month of December... well that has crumbled and that crowd has never lost their enthusiasm. The team just kinda stinks right now and if they get a better team than they wil get that stat back.

Plus how is Jacksonville even on the list? I have heard of people getting lower section seats on game day because they can't sell out any games... no fans in the seats and that is a better home field advantage than the crazies at MetLife stadium to watch the Giants play?

Well this is absolutely terrible.

There is no way the Seahawks aren't in the top 5 and ABSOLUTELY no way the Jags are ahead of the Colts! Jags should be in the bottom 5.

What do you mean? Those tarps are terrifying! So loud fluttering in the wind! What if one came lose and landed on the bench? They won't know where to go, like your dog underneath a blanket, desperate to escape!