Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the KEY to success, this year's OL......

the only way luck will survive and thrive this year depends, in part, if he can stay upright. and with any rookie qb, any, you have to have a strong running game to take some of the pressure off him. we have'nt exactly been known to scare teams off the line of scrimmage, let alone run the ball. i think pagano and arian's want to change that, but with basically a brand new line, who will emerge as the starters, if healthy? how about, left to right, my picks?........castonzo, mcglynn, a.q. shipley, olsen, justice. OL coach harold goodwin has got his hands full. we need to be much more physical up front, be able to drive them off the line and pound the ball between the tackles. if we can't, luck may not even survive his first season, and another 2-14 staring us in the face. just my opinion.....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct! If in fact Mannings neck injury originated when he took that hit against the Redskins in 2006 (a defense coached by Gregg Williams), a result of three missed blocks by the o-line, which was/has never been solid in Indy. This should be the Colts numero uno priority. If a bad o-line can sideline the arguably best player ever, Andrew Luck doesn't stand a chance to build his legacy if he has a terrible o-line.

the only way luck will survive and thrive this year depends, in part, if he can stay upright. and with any rookie qb, any, you have to have a strong running game to take some of the pressure off him. we have'nt exactly been known to scare teams off the line of scrimmage, let alone run the ball. i think pagano and arian's want to change that, but with basically a brand new line, who will emerge as the starters, if healthy? how about, left to right, my picks?........castonzo, mcglynn, a.q. shipley, olsen, justice. OL coach harold goodwin has got his hands full. we need to be much more physical up front, be able to drive them off the line and pound the ball between the tackles. if we can't, luck may not even survive his first season, and another 2-14 staring us in the face. just my opinion.....

I can't say I particularly care who ends up at which position on the line, as long as the unit as a whole is better than we've witnessed in recent years. PM had the ability to get the ball out so quickly, it covered a world of problems. I trust Luck can learn to do the same, but he'll need a couple seasons to do so. Besides, I just think the Colts could be SO much better, especially in playoff situations, if we establish a better running game.

Of the 3 off-season FA acquisitions, I'd guess McGlynn and Justice are less likely to become starters than Satele. The biggest question in my mind is whether Ijalana can recover sufficiently from his injury to be in shape and gel withnew teammates sufficiently to earn a starting role. I felt like he showed a ton of heart and promise in the preseason last year, and I have really high hopes for him.

The O Line should Improve as long as we dont go througha ton of Injuries aswe have the past couple years. If they stay healthy and can gell together than I think well be alot better there. Asumming that happens though and Luck is given time to throw the ball and read the D this offense will pick up pretty quickly I feel. We have recievers now that can stretch the field and two large tightends to work the slot or the middle of the field. Give it a year or two and this offense could be very hard to stop with all the miss matches we will be able to create. Also Luck seems to be building chemistry pretty quick. In mini camp it was said that Andrew Luck was throwing to the rookie recievers and TE Just running a skelton offense and it took 20Min for the first ball to hit the ground. Granted there was no contact or pressure coming his way, but he is still throwing to basically all guys he's never thrown to except Fleener and Griffen. So to just be able to connect and complete passes like that right off the bat says something. He even threw his first deep ball to T.Y Hilton and it was spot on from what Hilton told reporters. The first one he threw to him. This Kid is gonna be good really fast, I just have a feeling. All you doubters might not wanna blink your eyes o this kid.

Correct! If in fact Mannings neck injury originated when he took that hit against the Redskins in 2006 (a defense coached by Gregg Williams), a result of three missed blocks by the o-line, which was/has never been solid in Indy. This should be the Colts numero uno priority. If a bad o-line can sideline the arguably best player ever, Andrew Luck doesn't stand a chance to build his legacy if he has a terrible o-line.

This is so not true. Up till 2007 we had one of the better o-lines in football including a line that blocked for a 1,000 yard back every year from the time Peyton came into the league up till 2008 except for one including producing the leagues leading rusher twice.

Let's also not forget it was the o-line who completely took over the Bears D-line that played a major factor in us winning the super bowl and they were also a major factor in the Ravens game by helping us put together long drives to kill the clock and it was the line that blew open that hole for Addai in the Pats game.

Yes after 2006 the o-line feel apart but up till that point the Colts o-line was as good as any team in football which is why we had two multitime pro-bowlers on it.

The defense was coach by Gregg Williams, but the hit to Manning was one of the lastest hits not called.

And I hope I'm not the only one, but I think Anthony Castonzo should be moved to right tackle. I think Ben when he was healthy did a better job in run and pass blocking. Something we've been missing for years is a mobile quarterback. This completely opens up our opportunities. Also did anyone see the article about us needing to sign TO?

And I hope I'm not the only one, but I think Anthony Castonzo should be moved to right tackle. I think Ben when he was healthy did a better job in run and pass blocking. Something we've been missing for years is a mobile quarterback. This completely opens up our opportunities. Also did anyone see the article about us needing to sign TO?

Not supporting Castonzo or denigrating Ijalana, but the guy played like one quarter at left tackle. He did look good, but I don't think it's reasonable to determine that he's a better left tackle than anyone -- or even necessarily a good left tackle -- based on one quarter's worth of play. I think they should let everyone compete, and put the best unit out there.

This is so not true. Up till 2007 we had one of the better o-lines in football including a line that blocked for a 1,000 yard back every year from the time Peyton came into the league up till 2008 except for one including producing the leagues leading rusher twice.

Let's also not forget it was the o-line who completely took over the Bears D-line that played a major factor in us winning the super bowl and they were also a major factor in the Ravens game by helping us put together long drives to kill the clock and it was the line that blew open that hole for Addai in the Pats game.

Yes after 2006 the o-line feel apart but up till that point the Colts o-line was as good as any team in football which is why we had two multitime pro-bowlers on it.

Preach.

I don't know why people keep saying this. The Colts had one of the best offensive lines in football, particularly when it comes to pass blocking. In 2007, we lost Tarik Glenn, and in 2008, we lost practically everyone else. Since then, the line has been a mess. But before that, our line was the envy of most of the league.

And another thing, I don't think the offensive line is that crucial to our success this season. I don't want to see a David Carr situation either, but David Carr wasn't as good a prospect as Luck is, and our offensive line isn't anywhere near as bad as Houston's was back then. We have several proven players on our line already. I don't know why, but Samson Satele gets no love, and he's a very good center. I think he's better than Jeff Saturday already. On top of that, Luck has exceptional mobility and awareness. And on top of that, we drafted two really promising tackles just last season. If there's one unit on offense I'm not concerned with, it's the offensive line. Not that I don't think we can be better and have no issues, but I think we took significant steps the past two years to improve, and if this season allows us to identify further issues with the line then we'll make it a priority to fix those next offseason.

Saturday was a great center, but it was his mind and command of the line that made him great, not his ability to assist in 3rd and 2. We may take a step back in terms of those assets, but we will most assuredly leap forward in terms of protecting Luck by moving the chains with the run game.

Preach.

I don't know why people keep saying this. The Colts had one of the best offensive lines in football, particularly when it comes to pass blocking. In 2007, we lost Tarik Glenn, and in 2008, we lost practically everyone else. Since then, the line has been a mess. But before that, our line was the envy of most of the league.

And another thing, I don't think the offensive line is that crucial to our success this season. I don't want to see a David Carr situation either, but David Carr wasn't as good a prospect as Luck is, and our offensive line isn't anywhere near as bad as Houston's was back then. We have several proven players on our line already. I don't know why, but Samson Satele gets no love, and he's a very good center. I think he's better than Jeff Saturday already. On top of that, Luck has exceptional mobility and awareness. And on top of that, we drafted two really promising tackles just last season. If there's one unit on offense I'm not concerned with, it's the offensive line. Not that I don't think we can be better and have no issues, but I think we took significant steps the past two years to improve, and if this season allows us to identify further issues with the line then we'll make it a priority to fix those next offseason.

Recent Memory. Since 2007 the line has been bad so over time people just start to say oh the line was never any good.

I don't know if our new center is better than Saturday. That's not a shot at the new guy by any means. Saturday quietly had one of his better seasons last year. It just came in a season that it went completely unnoticed because of what was going on around him.

It's pretty clear the Colts are investing into the line but like most things I will encourage people to stay patient with it. It wont happen over night. Ijalana is pretty much going to be a rookie all over again and the other guys minus Castonzo and maybe Reitz are going to be learning a new team. It'll take them a little bit of time to come together.

You mean that whole quarter he played? I mean don't get me wrong he did well for getting thrown into the fire but it's not like the he was blocking the old Bucs lines of Sapp and Rice either. Those other guys had to adjust to him as well and had no tape on him either. I think he did well for what he was asked to do but that would be like benching your starting third baseman because you had a pinch hitter you just called up from the miners hit a single in his first at bat. You need more body of work to make that call.

I am not saying Ijalana can't be good. I fully expect him to be good however I am not ready to hand him the job of protecting Luck's blindside when he's coming off a major knee injury and will pretty much be a rookie when we have a guy who was taken a round higher than him in the same draft and who has a full year's experience playing left tackle. Yes Castonzo got beat up at times last year but he was a rookie that's what happens to rookies. Glenn almost got Jim Harbaugh killed his rookie year. It takes a little time for these guys to develop. If we start Ijalana over Castonzo he's going to have growing pains as well. Also remember Ijalana was doing okay vs. other teams second and third stringers in the pre-season. Not bad but not great either. That's a huge jump to ask him to make. I'd rather him take his lumps on the right side where Luck can see what's coming his way.

I think you'll see open jobs in camp other than LT and Castonzo and our new center. It's going to take Castonzo just being really bad or Ijalana playing at a pro-bowl level to win that job away from Castonzo I think. I am not saying it might not happen some day but I would be shocked if it happened by opening day next year.

darn right....

Losing Scott and Glenn REALLY HURT this team. And Lilja's injury, and Ugoh's bust factor...

darn what could have been. But, it was the best run YET.

Onward and forward.

Ijalana played left tackle in college, that looks to be his natural position

Yes, but so is Castonzo. Think about like this, we have a LT playing an easier position at RT. I think that Castonzo can be a lot better next year than he was last year.

Yes, but so is Castonzo. Think about like this, we have a LT playing an easier position at RT. I think that Castonzo can be a lot better next year than he was last year.

he could be but I dont see that happening

I think it should be Left Tackle-Ijalana, Left Guard-Hayworth Hicks Center-Satele Right Guard-Mcglynn Right Tackle-Castonzo

.........i like this combo as well, but ijalana's injury scares me, and basically stiil a rookie. hicks is a monster that should really push the pile. but i'm surprised so many think shipley is a dud. penn state interior linemen are usually always good, and in talking with my psu buddies, they all loved his smarts and tenacity at center.....

You mean that whole quarter he played? I mean don't get me wrong he did well for getting thrown into the fire but it's not like the he was blocking the old Bucs lines of Sapp and Rice either. Those other guys had to adjust to him as well and had no tape on him either. I think he did well for what he was asked to do but that would be like benching your starting third baseman because you had a pinch hitter you just called up from the miners hit a single in his first at bat. You need more body of work to make that call.

I am not saying Ijalana can't be good. I fully expect him to be good however I am not ready to hand him the job of protecting Luck's blindside when he's coming off a major knee injury and will pretty much be a rookie when we have a guy who was taken a round higher than him in the same draft and who has a full year's experience playing left tackle. Yes Castonzo got beat up at times last year but he was a rookie that's what happens to rookies. Glenn almost got Jim Harbaugh killed his rookie year. It takes a little time for these guys to develop. If we start Ijalana over Castonzo he's going to have growing pains as well. Also remember Ijalana was doing okay vs. other teams second and third stringers in the pre-season. Not bad but not great either. That's a huge jump to ask him to make. I'd rather him take his lumps on the right side where Luck can see what's coming his way.

I think you'll see open jobs in camp other than LT and Castonzo and our new center. It's going to take Castonzo just being really bad or Ijalana playing at a pro-bowl level to win that job away from Castonzo I think. I am not saying it might not happen some day but I would be shocked if it happened by opening day next year.

I agree I think Ijalana will be good. And I do agree that Big Ben looked pretty good in the Tampa game but I think most people forget that he looked pretty pedestrian in the preseason. He was slower off the snap that you'd like to see, he was not powerful at the POA and when he did his kick slide he would not keep his arms up and the defender could easily get to his chest and that was a problem even in the game. He has some work to do to get to good.

I think it should be Left Tackle-Ijalana, Left Guard-Hayworth Hicks Center-Satele Right Guard-Mcglynn Right Tackle-Castonzo

i like that lineup only I dont think Ijalan wil start as LT probably over time but not this year IMO.

withouth saying positiosn but i think our lineup will consist of castonzo satelle ijalana reitz mcglynn and probably you can add justice/hicks to the mix untill they find their right lineup... i hve no idea who will start where, if ijalana will be a T or G but i think its between those 7 and i really think 3 players are already pencilled as starters somewhere if Ijalana is healthy (castonzo - ijalana - satelle will be starters i think)

i like that lineup only I dont think Ijalan wil start as LT probably over time but not this year IMO.

withouth saying positiosn but i think our lineup will consist of castonzo satelle ijalana reitz mcglynn and probably you can add justice/hicks to the mix untill they find their right lineup... i hve no idea who will start where, if ijalana will be a T or G but i think its between those 7 and i really think 3 players are already pencilled as starters somewhere if Ijalana is healthy (castonzo - ijalana - satelle will be starters i think)

Ijalana did play left tackle in college, and played it well, much better than Castonzo in my opinion

Just curious, are you always this negative? I don't recall reading ANY post you have ever made that was positive or supportive in any nature - other than to prove YOUR point?

Just because I look at things realistically dont mean Im negative, its actually smarter then always looking at the positive at the expense of the negative

tampa bay. he dominated their Rookie DE who i forgot his name but was highly coveted.

but still a rookie DE

a rookie on a rookie so therefore if you think about it negates the fact that the defensive end was a rookie, it comes down both players were playing their natural position and Ijalana was just better that day but still his natural position, I would rather have a guy play his natural position then try moving him around

a rookie on a rookie so therefore if you think about it negates the fact that the defensive end was a rookie, it comes down both players were playing their natural position and Ijalana was just better that day but still his natural position, I would rather have a guy play his natural position then try moving him around

No it doesn't. A defensive line player only has to win about 8% of the match-ups for it to be considered a good game for the defender. So one quarter is not a good enough sample to say whether he did well because it was his "natural position."

Seems like a moot point now about Costonzo and Ijalana since neither has practiced. The line so far has been Lickenbach-LT, Reitz-LG, Satele-C, McGlynn-RG, and Justice-RT. Costonzo and Ijalana are still nursing injuries. The Heavyweights has stated that McGlynn has been the leader of the line during offseason work.

Seems like a moot point now about Costonzo and Ijalana since neither has practiced. The line so far has been Lickenbach-LT, Reitz-LG, Satele-C, McGlynn-RG, and Justice-RT. Costonzo and Ijalana are still nursing injuries. The Heavyweights has stated that McGlynn has been the leader of the line during offseason work.

not from Ind(or US lol) who is or what are the Heavyweights? and what do they mean by leader?

what have they said about Nevis? I so want him to adapt to this new D, he looked the part.

i've heard the same. one of the reasons grigson pursued him. a young player still but with experience in big games both regular season and playoffs.

not from Ind(or US lol) who is or what are the Heavyweights? and what do they mean by leader?

what have they said about Nevis? I so want him to adapt to this new D, he looked the part.

On the home page of colts.com if you type in heavyweights in the search bar it will bring up a radio telecast where Joe Stasniak and others talk Colts football. They broadcast every Friday night and usually have a Colts player or two on the broadcast. By leader I believe McGlynn has organized the OL in training away from the coaches. They meet every week at each others's home or some place in Indy to fellowship together. I havent heard anything about Nevis but you can pull up the links and listen as they are dated each week and you can see who they are interviewing that week.