Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Would You Rather Have

Giving the state of our team at this very moment in time, which of these 3 would you want to have on our team?

David Amerson a CB

Jarvis Jones a LB

Star Lotulelei a NT

It can be another player but Let's keep this focused on defense

I personally would like Jones but right now I would have to go with Amerson

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ CB Xavier Rhodes or David Amerson

@ OLB/DE Jarvis Jones or Jackson Jeffcoat

I think we're going to be fine @ NT with McKinney/Chapman. Next year we're gonna need a CB and i believe that Freeney will have played his last game for the Colts also, so we'll probably need a premier pass rusher also.

Amerson... we need a great no.1 corner so that we could move Powers to the #2 and have Rucker maybe play nickel. We don't need a LB and we have McKinney + Chapman at NT, so it would just be too much at NT.

yea we seem to be set at nose tackle finally, but Freeney is likely not gonna be here next year if he dont get used to the system or dont like it, we have others that can probably play linebacker better anyway Im sure but at the same time Brandon Jenkins looks to be a beast

i think Amerson but should we really exclude Robert Woods?

I think we should and it has nothing to do with his ability but everything to do with we already have Reggie Wayne for 3 years we can always get a tall fast wide receiver in the middle rounds I bet and groom him to be a future number 1 or wait to the following year

I think we should and it has nothing to do with his ability but everything to do with we already have Reggie Wayne for 3 years we can always get a tall fast wide receiver in the middle rounds I bet and groom him to be a future number 1 or wait to the following year

I love Reggie but face reality he has lost a step and is no longer a legit #1 wr he is a really good #2 at this point and will only get worse

I love Reggie but face reality he has lost a step and is no longer a legit #1 wr he is a really good #2 at this point and will only get worse

I agree but Freeney wont likely be back I bet, we have holes on defense , particularly Corner, we need Amerson or Brandon Jenkins-a guy that would fit perfect in the 3-4 he can put his hand on the ground and play outside linebacker, we can always find a tall speed receiver in the middle rounds or even late that has speed

I agree but Freeney wont likely be back I bet, we have holes on defense , particularly Corner, we need Amerson or Brandon Jenkins-a guy that would fit perfect in the 3-4 he can put his hand on the ground and play outside linebacker, we can always find a tall speed receiver in the middle rounds or even late that has speed

You love Jenkins like I love Te'o haha. I definitely say Amerson. He is one of the best corners to come out in years. He is 6-3 and will make QB's regret passing towards him. I will say Jenkins, because OLB will be more of a need than ILB. If Jenkins falls to us pick him up, if not this class is deep in DE/OLB so we probably can get a solid one.

You love Jenkins like I love Te'o haha. I definitely say Amerson. He is one of the best corners to come out in years. He is 6-3 and will make QB's regret passing towards him. I will say Jenkins, because OLB will be more of a need than ILB. If Jenkins falls to us pick him up, if not this class is deep in DE/OLB so we probably can get a solid one.

I was going to say the same thing.

So far in any 2013 draft talks Ive always brought up Jackson Jeffcoat so you could add me to the I love one player list

Here's Kipers 2013 Big Board eval on the players above and others. Possible First, Second, or third round picks for us.

Jarvis Jones *

DOB: 10/13/89

HT: 6-3

WT: 241

*: OLB

Tkl 70

Sack 13.5

Int 0

Explosive, relentless edge rusher, profiles well as a 3-4 OLB. Great first step, violent hands, extremely good burst off the snap, tackles well, closes fast. Could improve against run, but coaches there also tell me people don't realize how well he can cover.

David Amerson *

DOB: 12/8/91

WT: 189

*: CB

Tkl 59

Sack 0

Int 13

Exceptional cover skills, with instincts and ability of a ballhawk. Size and speed to match up with any receiver, but plays with a sense of when to jump from routes and dive into passing lanes. Led nation in INTs last year. Very competitive kid.

Star Lotulelei

DOB: 12/20/89

HT: 6-4

WT: 325

*: DT

Tkl 43

Sack 1.5

Demands a double-team, clogging up the middle of the field. A great sense for how to disrupt the run game, with power to bull rush and penetrate. Explodes off the ball, with great upper body strength.

Barkevious Mingo *

DOB: 10/4/90

HT: 6-5

WT: 242

*: DE

Tkl 46

Sack 7.0

Int 0

Exceptional length, still adding refinement, but he's well past a mere "athlete" label. Very good pass rusher, able to use speed to get up the field and turn the corner. Still learning concepts after late start in football, but reads game well given lack of experience. Upside city.

Sam Montgomery *

DOB: 5/25/90

WT: 245

Tkl 49

Sack 9.0

Int 0

Lacks the frame of a 4-3 DE at next level, but could still get there, because his frame can handle it. Athleticism and rush skills are there, underrated against the run. Max-effort player, natural athlete, instinctive pass-rusher. Can he drop hips as a LB at next level? Still a lot of projection left.

Manti Te'o

DOB: 1/26/91

HT: 6-2

WT: 255

*: LB

Tkl 128

Sack 5.0

Int 0

Would have been second interior linebacker taken in 2012 draft after Luke Kuechly. Developed in 2011, showing blitzing skills. Big, strong tackling presence in the middle of the field. Reads plays well and gets through traffic.

Johnathan Hankins *

DOB:

WT: 335

Tkl 66

Sack 2.0

Int 0

Gets off the line with an explosive first step; just moves tremendously well for his size. Drives opposing blockers into the backfield. Size of a nose tackle, but agile enough to be moved around. Very disruptive force on the line.

Johnny Adams

DOB: 6/9/89

HT: 5-11

WT: 178

Tkl 57

Sack 3.0

Int 3

Sound and instinctive zone corner, he attacks what he sees really well. Lacks elite size, but takes on bigger players and tackles well. Really good blitzer. Needs work on his man game, but very competitive. Great ball skills.

Kawann Short

DOB: 2/2/89

WT: 312

Tkl 54

Sack 6.5

Int 0

Controls the line of scrimmage, not overly explosive, but uses his hands well to clear blocks and was constantly in the backfield. A better fit in a 4-3. Big question: can he stay consistent? Good athlete -- can dunk a basketball.

William Gholston *

DOB: 7/31/91

HT: 6-7

WT: 274

Tkl 70

Sack 5.0

Int 0

Great length and frame, with very good pass-rushing skills. Has grown into frame; now has solid 4-3 DE size. Experience shows; reads the play well, knowing when to go wide or come inside against the run. Could be in line for a huge year.

Xavier Rhodes *

DOB: 6/19/90

WT: 209

Tkl 43

Sack 0

Int 1

Don't be fooled by the lack of interceptions -- you can't pick off passes when QBs consistently throw away from you. A starter since his freshman season, Rhodes has elite size, handles deep routes well, and can hang with smaller WRs. Solid prospect.

Johnthan Banks

DOB: 10/3/89

WT: 185

Tkl 71

Sack 3.0

Int 5

A very good man corner, he's excellent in his backpedal and turns well. Plenty of speed to stay with speedy WRs, has length to battle up high. A little slight, not considered physical, but tape shows he challenged line of scrimmage, piled up tackles for loss.

Corey Lemonier *

DOB: 2/19/91

WT: 245

Tkl 47

Sack 9.5

Int 0

Still light for a defensive end prospect, Lemonier could probably add some muscle to his frame without giving away too much speed. He thrives on quickness, with great burst off the snap and a few counters. A natural pass-rusher, he'll be one to watch.

Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas

A star coming out of high school, this could be the year Jeffcoat really comes into his own. He played pretty stiff in his first season-plus in Austin, but he had 7.5 sacks in his last seven games last year. Watch out.

T.J. McDonald, S, USC

A big hitter, McDonald is well-coached at the position and will be a force in 2012. He has a chance to be the first safety taken in the 2013 draft.

Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford

With 8.5 sacks last year, Thomas jumped into the draft picture as a potential first-round talent as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He could build on 2011 for a Stanford defense that should take over as the strength of the team in 2012.

John Simon, DT, Ohio St.

He doesn't have a set position, because he can be moved inside or out depending on matchups, but Simon has an incredible motor and really sets the tone for that defense. He's a great athlete, and will fit in a lot of places because of his versatility.

Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois

It was another Illinois DE getting the headlines last year, but Buchanan quietly emerged, finishing the season with 7.5 sacks.

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

A really talented player, Okafor started slow and finished slow in 2011. He can get to the quarterback, but needs to continue to improve in a few areas.

Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina

Was the best linebacker the Tar Heels had last year, and could push to be the second inside 'backer taken in the draft.

Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

Interested to see if Logan adds more size, but he's pretty good as is. Really brilliant when it comes to using his hands to shed. I can see him as a 3-tech at the next level if he plays at this size.

Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma

Out of place at linebacker last year, Jefferson actually played pretty well. Back to his more natural position at safety, I expect him to be a force in 2012. The former high school quarterback is a superior athlete and should thrive.

Eric Reid, S, LSU

He is quietly the best player in the LSU secondary, and he'll get a lot of opportunities on errant passes if the LSU pass rush is as good as it looks on paper.

Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

The knack for big plays is clear, but Mathieu must overcome questions about his size and develop his cover skills. He's must-see TV in the return game.

i like amerson but would rather have jarvis jones. he reminds me off demarcus ware, very fast off the edge. a great pass rush makes your secondary better and freeney won't be back next year.

Try telling that to the Vikings-50 sacks 26th in the league in passing yards given up, , Bears-28th is passing yards given up, Giants-29th in the league passing yards given up 48 sacks 3rd in the league, Vikings were 26th total passing yards given up, Colts were last in completion percentage given up

As far as the 3-4 goes after the Nose tackle it can eb argued a passrushing outside linebacker is the most important. If neither freeney or mathis can play we have to get Jarvis Jones. He is the real deal.

have a look at Brandon Jenkins

Oh Im sure it will but 14 million more added onto that cap sounds even better

If we cut Freeney this year we gain 14 million but we'll have 5 million committed to dead cap. If we just don't resign him we will get back 19 million next year. And oh yea, we'll also get 20ish million (?) back from dead cap and all the roster cuts we made this offseason. (Not sure but it should be a good sum of money)

Try telling that to the Vikings-50 sacks 26th in the league in passing yards given up, , Bears-28th is passing yards given up, Giants-29th in the league passing yards given up 48 sacks 3rd in the league, Vikings were 26th total passing yards given up, Colts were last in completion percentage given up

yes very true but sacks turns into longer down and distance. also for the 3-4 olb is the most important position on the team and jarvis jones is the best in the draft. amerson is an amazing talent 6'3 200 lbs 4.5 speed could be the next revis. if you asked people who would they rather have demarcus ware or revis, 85% would take ware.

yes very true but sacks turns into longer down and distance. also for the 3-4 olb is the most important position on the team and jarvis jones is the best in the draft. amerson is an amazing talent 6'3 200 lbs 4.5 speed could be the next revis. if you asked people who would they rather have demarcus ware or revis, 85% would take ware.

Both positions are very deep, so I would be happy with either and then get another good player in the second.

Cant go wrong with Revis or Ware but simple fact is, a run up the middle negates Wares sack ability or a screen over his head, this is a passing league, I will say one compliments the other, a good pass rush compliments good covering ability but its easier to take a pass rusher out of the game then it is a great cover Corner especially if you have two, the rule changes permit much easier pass completions these days thats why a great cover corner is necessary....many sacks happen because of good to great coverage