Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcafee

I want to see McAfee try place-kicking in a preseason game. He supposedly made a 75 yard FG at camp, but I want to see him actually try in a game. While there is no need to replace Vinatieri just yet, he is getting older, and it would be nice to give McAfee a shot to see how he does. He has the leg on him to make long attempts. Anyone else curious to see if McAfee could do it?

It'd be nice, except it would wear his leg out by the end of the season.

You think so? I bet he kicks it far more times in practice than he would on game day even doing punts, FG, and extra points. That's what? 25 kicks a game or so?

I mean. he's a kicker. what else does he have to do all day?

You think so? I bet he kicks it far more times in practice than he would on game day even doing punts, FG, and extra points. That's what? 25 kicks a game or so?

Wasnt there another team with just one guy for FG/Extra Points/kickoffs and punts?

I doubt it would wear him out any more since he is actually doing all that in practice anyway.

They announced last night, I think in the late second quarter, that McAfee would be doing all FGs from that point on.

My guess is that with all the talk about it last year the Colts figure McAfee would be a good backup should something happen to Vinatieri during the regular season, if he can in fact hit the long ones in a game.

That was always my impression, and that's what I've always heard. But I could be wrong.

When viewing this clip, who knows how many takes it took? Could have been out there all day.

Seem Vinateri gets the pass from management in terms of his price tag. Realistically with our offensive power, I just don't see the need for him. 3 of his seasons here have been at 80% or lower in terms of makes.

When viewing this clip, who knows how many takes it took? Could have been out there all day.

Seem Vinateri gets the pass from management in terms of his price tag. Realistically with our offensive power, I just don't see the need for him. 3 of his seasons here have been at 80% or lower in terms of makes.

He redeemed much needed credibility last season. Even invoking his reputation as a clutch post-season killa toward the end of the Jets game.

They should let him try several kicks, but at the end of a game, losing by 1, I would rather have the most clutch kicker of all time vs a punter. Plus during those kicks he was wearing no equipment making it easier to get more power and speed behind the ball.

Hidden

They should let him try several kicks, but at the end of a game, losing by 1, I would rather have the most clutch kicker of all time vs a punter. Plus during those kicks he was wearing no equipment making it easier to get more power and speed behind the ball.

If kickers couldnt get tired, Id think there would be a whole lot more Punters, kick off and PK's as one guy around the League. Yet, I have yet to see any team with that.

The Falcons tried it with Michael Koenen.

It went so well they decided to sign a near 50 year old kicker to take over field goal duties. That's more to do with Koenen's skill though.

the reason the colts are smart in having vinateri as well as mcafee is you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. i mean either one could be injured on a fluke roughing the kicker penalty or a player hitting them and then you are like the redskins or cowboys were that year where they kept trying to get a good kicker and ending up even releasing and signing the kicker from the opposing team.

the reason the colts are smart in having vinateri as well as mcafee is you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. i mean either one could be injured on a fluke roughing the kicker penalty or a player hitting them and then you are like the redskins or cowboys were that year where they kept trying to get a good kicker and ending up even releasing and signing the kicker from the opposing team.

Yeah,i see what you're saying but we have Vinatieri for 3 more years so we won't be in that position. But, while Vinatieri is a good clutch kicker, he is getting older and it would be nice to see McAfee be able to take the longer FGs if needed. McAfee seems to have the ability to do but needs in-game experience of course.