Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck-led Colts will be much better than you think in 2012

Bucky Brooks at NFL.com is a believer the Colts will be a better team this year than the other talking heads are giving them credit to be.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That's what opponents will soon realize after facing Andrew Luck and a rebuilt Indianapolis Colts offense that is eerily similar to the unit that dominated the AFC for more than a decade.

Although the loss of Peyton Manning and the images of a dismal 2011 campaign make it difficult to imagine a swift turnaround for the Colts, I believe the pieces are in place for the team to quickly rejoin the ranks of the elite, particularly on offense.

Here are three reasons why the Colts' offense will be much better than anyone thinks in 2012:

1) Luck's wealth of college experience will lead to instant success as a pro.

2) Bruce Arians is a masterful developer of young quarterbacks.

3) The Colts are building an "old school" offense that will be problematic for opponents.

Edited by 21isSuperman
mod edit: copyright

Bucky Brooks at NFL.com is a believer the Colts will be a better team this year than the other talking heads are giving them credit to be.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That's what opponents will soon realize after facing Andrew Luck and a rebuilt Indianapolis Colts offense that is eerily similar to the unit that dominated the AFC for more than a decade.

Although the loss of Peyton Manning and the images of a dismal 2011 campaign make it difficult to imagine a swift turnaround for the Colts, I believe the pieces are in place for the team to quickly rejoin the ranks of the elite, particularly on offense.

Here are three reasons why the Colts' offense will be much better than anyone thinks in 2012:

1) Luck's wealth of college experience will lead to instant success as a pro.

2) Bruce Arians is a masterful developer of young quarterbacks.

3) The Colts are building an "old school" offense that will be problematic for opponents.

Seems like Bucky has jumped on the bandwagon. I think I recall another post earlier saying he really liked our draft.

Please don't copy and paste the entire article as we run into copyright issues with that. Post the link and a small preview.

Almost every team we play this year has as a good defense. I don't think Luck will do amazingly, but I think it'll be a good learning experience for him to face these tough defenses early.

Seems like Bucky has jumped on the bandwagon. I think I recall another post earlier saying he really liked our draft.

I agree the team will be better than expected... But they aren't expected to win more than a couple games, so I would translate that to mean they might be about middle of the pack this year.

I think 5-6 wins is reasonable, and 8 wins is the "if all the planets align" high water mark, and I would be ecstatic with anything over 5 wins.

There does appear to be a ton of talent on the O, but this is now a VERY young team, and a young coaching staff, and a young FO. It'll take a while for that to all gel into something that translates onto the field. Most likely more than one offseason.

I agree the team will be better than expected... But they aren't expected to win more than a couple games, so I would translate that to mean they might be about middle of the pack this year.

I think 5-6 wins is reasonable, and 8 wins is the "if all the planets align" high water mark, and I would be ecstatic with anything over 5 wins.

There does appear to be a ton of talent on the O, but this is now a VERY young team, and a young coaching staff, and a young FO. It'll take a while for that to all gel into something that translates onto the field. Most likely more than one offseason.

Definitely agree, I hope the Colts can shut some of the people up thinking that they will be the worst of the worst in the league. That would be nice.

I especially liked that the author stated this:

"3) The Colts are building an "old school" offense that will be problematic for opponents.

For all of the conversation about the Colts copying the New England Patriots' offensive approach with multiple tight ends, the team is actually returning to the original blueprint used to help Manning during his formative years."

It is nice to know not everyone has short memories. I am tiring of the New England comparisons. Like I said before..we did it first and we are doing it again.

There will be no game tape on our offense this year, so I'm thinking teams will have trouble with us. They will go to Steeler tapes or Stanford tapes....maybe old Colt's tapes to prepare for us, but none of them will be the same. Our disadvantage in being so new and young will likely help us a bit.

I have seen projections that have us only winning 2-3 games next year. So I agree that we will be better than expected, mainly because no one is expecting anything from us. I have said before that I believe we can win 7-8 games especially if we play well on defense

With the current 90 players on the roster, the average age of this Colts team is 24.6............thats with only 6 players over 30!

I don't see the Colts winning any games unless they are give-aways like Caldwell did w/the Jets. Irsay lied about Peyton playing so I think he'll get his just rewards.

Karma is a .....fake

finally someone thinking we are gonna have at least some success

im tired of ppl saying we are going to be the worst team in football again, and seeing some ppl going as far as saying we will win 1 game, we improved in so many areas from last year, we won 2 games with a QB who has never won a game before last season, and we upgraded at QB, we upraded out OLine, upgraded our WRs/TEs the only questions going into this seaon will be how our D will adapt to a new system, and the only significant losses in my mind were saturday and garcon, and they will have adequate replacements

i will be very surprised if we are the worst team in the league again and if we have only 1 win ill be shocked, we lost a handful of games by a few points, and that was with painter/collins, we WILL be better and im glad someone finally sees this

it wouldn't surprise me at all if we finished 9-7 and made it as a wildcard. we all know luck will help us but expect powers and rucker to have a great season.pagano is great with making the secondary better and i think he'll do the same for powers,rucker,and thomas.

5-11 or 6-10 at best

Week 1 @Bears-Loss

Week 2 vs Vikings-Loss

Week 3 vs Jaguars-Loss

Week 4 vs Packers-Loss

Week 5 @ Jets-Loss

Week 6 vs Browns-Win

Week 7 @ Tennessee Loss

Week 8 vs Dolphins-Win

Week 9 @ Jacksonville-Loss

Week 10 @ New England-Loss

Week 11 vs Buffalo- Loss

Week 12 @ Detroit-Loss

Week 13 vs Titans-Loss

Week 14 @ Houston-Loss

Week 15 @ Kansas City- Loss

Week 16 vs Houston- Win

with a bye week @ week 4

More like 3-13 To many question marks

5-11 or 6-10 at best

Week 1 @Bears-Loss

Week 2 vs Vikings-Loss

Week 3 vs Jaguars-Loss

Week 4 vs Packers-Loss

Week 5 @ Jets-Loss

Week 6 vs Browns-Win

Week 7 @ Tennessee Loss

Week 8 vs Dolphins-Win

Week 9 @ Jacksonville-Loss

Week 10 @ New England-Loss

Week 11 vs Buffalo- Loss

Week 12 @ Detroit-Loss

Week 13 vs Titans-Loss

Week 14 @ Houston-Loss

Week 15 @ Kansas City- Loss

Week 16 vs Houston- Win

with a bye week @ week 4

More like 3-13 To many question marks

Switch out Cleveland and the Jags and I thiink that the list is clost to correct.

Switch out Cleveland and the Jags and I thiink that the list is clost to correct.

Jags got a #1 receiver now, no reason for them not to be better especially now that Gabbert got his rookie year under his belt, that to me is the key for them, if they get better play from him I think we lose two, Cleveland I will give ya so 4-12

So top 5 pick or better

Jags got a #1 receiver now, no reason for them not to be better especially now that Gabbert got his rookie year under his belt, that to me is the key for them, if they get better play from him I think we lose two, Cleveland I will give ya so 4-12

So top 5 pick or better

I still think that we should be them once. So 3-13 for me. Does it make me a bad fan if we don't make the playoffs, that I want the No. 1 pick.

I still think that we should be them once. So 3-13 for me. Does it make me a bad fan if we don't make the playoffs, that I want the No. 1 pick.

No, if and likely when we dont make the playoffs I would love to get the number 1 pick so we can trade it for a football version of a kings ransom, we still have plenty of needs on defense I think

No, if and likely when we dont make the playoffs I would love to get the number 1 pick so we can trade it for a football version of a kings ransom, we still have plenty of needs on defense I think

Would you pick amerson in the top 5 and then trade a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, and a 2014 6th round pick to get into the top 15 and pick Te'o or an OLB.

Would you pick amerson in the top 5 and then trade a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, and a 2014 6th round pick to get into the top 15 and pick Te'o or an OLB.

Not exactly sure what it would take to get back into the 1st so just guessing what we would have to do

1.Amerson or Rhodes

Trade My second round and 4th and a future 3rd round pick to get back into the 1st with that first round pick I would choose Brandon Jenkins

3.Alvin Bailey

I don't think that we would have to give up a future 3rd, maybe a 4th or 6th

I'd do it, but I don't think we'd have to give up so much.

I might go for Te'o but I havent quit on Connor yet I think he will play alot better in the hybrid we will play, but if Freeney doesnt get this system and playing linebacker down we will have to go Outside Linebacker at some point probably early

I believe 8-8 will be our record. The offense will gel faster than people think. The defense depends on the coordinator. Our defense is not as physical as the Ravens yet but they are just as athletic and faster. If the same strategy Pagano used to confuse offenses is employed with this defense we should be much improved. Special teams has better athletes available and could make a difference this year.