Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Offers Luck A Private Jet

Dtman513

With 52 other players and all of the new dynamics for the Colts, I'm really trying not to jump the gun.... but this kid might redefine what "NFL ready" means.

Yes.... Peyton came in with great football IQ and built a great career on it and set the standard for college QBs and their transition to the NFL. Well, we now have Andrew Luck and Bruce Arians, who was here when Peyton came in.... so there are whatever trial and error experiences from that to draw on as Luck adapts to the NFL.

That, plus the private workouts with Fleener, Collie and hopefully Reggie will definitely help as Luck gets his degree knocked out before he reports in June. Sounds like we're off to a great start.

It's the same scenario.

Luck, Wayne, Collie, or a combination of the 3 would have to foot the bill.

Is having Austin drive down from Sacramento fine, though? As long as Irsay doesn't pay for petrol.

Any service that has monetary value would not be allowed since it's not included in the salary cap.

I'm sure there can be money passed in a manner that goes around the CBA to make it possible. As long as Irsay doesn't take to twitter to announce he footed bill then everything will work out just fine. And if Irsay's private jet is a problem for Luck, how's come it wasn't for Manning to hitch a ride back to Indy for his farewell presser?

Is having Austin drive down from Sacramento fine, though? As long as Irsay doesn't pay for petrol.

Yeah that's fine. If Reggie flew out on his own dime, or Luck flew to Miami at his own expense there is no issues.

Manning drove to Columbus to work with Anthony Gonzalez and flew to Provo to work with Collie.

I'm sure there can be money passed in a manner that goes around the CBA to make it possible. As long as Irsay doesn't take to twitter to announce he footed bill then everything will work out just fine. And if Irsay's private jet is a problem for Luck, how's come it wasn't for Manning to hitch a ride back to Indy for his farewell presser?

It's also something that since he's gone public with it his desires, any attempt to circumvent the system could end up in a larger penalty. He would have been better off trying to let it fly under the radar, but he likes the headlines.

That might have been a violation too. Since Irsay was on the plane with him, and he flew down to Miami to meet with Manning, it could fall under a different set of circumstances. It wasn't like he sent the plane there just for Manning.

It's also something that since he's gone public with it his desires, any attempt to circumvent the system could end up in a larger penalty. He would have been better off trying to let it fly under the radar, but he likes the headlines.

That might have been a violation too. Since Irsay was on the plane with him, and he flew down to Miami to meet with Manning, it could fall under a different set of circumstances. It wasn't like he sent the plane there just for Manning.

Yeah I'm sure now that Irsay is on record as saying something the league might keep a closer eye to the goings on here in Indy.

Back to Manning issue, maybe Irsay can go after Luck and pick him up too...it would give them good quality time to get to know each other :hug:

There Jim found it within 10 minutes. It's not hidden. I'm sure if Irsay cared to browse the new CBA he would have seen this. Plus wasn't it mandatory for all the owners to be present at the meetings? So he has to have a basic understanding.

Irsay is such a cap expert too. He is always speaking about the cap and our issues.

With 52 other players and all of the new dynamics for the Colts, I'm really trying not to jump the gun.... but this kid might redefine what "NFL ready" means.

Yes.... Peyton came in with great football IQ and built a great career on it and set the standard for college QBs and their transition to the NFL. Well, we now have Andrew Luck and Bruce Arians, who was here when Peyton came in.... so there are whatever trial and error experiences from that to draw on as Luck adapts to the NFL.

That, plus the private workouts with Fleener, Collie and hopefully Reggie will definitely help as Luck gets his degree knocked out before he reports in June. Sounds like we're off to a great start.

it is ironic how the colts had arians when manning came in and turned manning into the QB he became to be, and now we got him back along with having Luck. i see very good things coming to indy (meaning more then one super bowls lol)

Why can't Irsay just loan the plane and crew to Andrew's dad, Oliver? Then have Oliver let his son tag along on a couple of "road trips", and if they just happen to run into some Colts receivers along the way...well, who says they couldn't just throw the football around a bit? Problem solved?

Why can't Irsay just loan the plane and crew to Andrew's dad, Oliver? Then have Oliver let his son tag along on a couple of "road trips", and if they just happen to run into some Colts receivers along the way...well, who says they couldn't just throw the football around a bit? Problem solved?

So Oliver Luck gets the tax hit (Fed taxes on Fair Market Value) instead of Andrew, yeah? Brilliant idea.

There Jim found it within 10 minutes. It's not hidden. I'm sure if Irsay cared to browse the new CBA he would have seen this. Plus wasn't it mandatory for all the owners to be present at the meetings? So he has to have a basic understanding.

Irsay is such a cap expert too. He is always speaking about the cap and our issues.

Knowing we have cap issues and knowi g the CBA are two different things. For example I can tell when I am sick if I want to know what I have I have to go see a docter so he can tell me. This is why teams have people like gms to understand this stuff. The owners just do what they can to support the team. Thats what irsay was trying to do. He got told no my guess is that will be good enough for him and he isnt going to go looking for a loop hole as some have suggested because all that is going to do is draw the attention of the league and you don't want that.

OK - here's the difference with Manning using the plane I think. That was official team business. Luck is not allowed to officially work with the team until after graduation. If he were to use it to fly to Miami to work with Reggie - that would be considered his private time and his private choice. They could probably use it to fly him in for official workouts.

It does sound good...

Andrew Luck says he's wiling to go to Florida to work out with Reggie and TY Hilton

I know its not a great sacrifice to got to Fiorida on 'business'

....but what I sense is the desire to win NOW.....not in 3 years...

If you dont feel the need to win in 2012..ther's also no need to fly across the nation for some passing practice.

Andrew Brandt@adbrandt

Having managed an NFL Cap, report of Jim Irsay offering private plane to Andrew Luck was startling. Cap circumvention.Not happening.

This feels like some NCAA crap.These activities should be covered under the CBA. What business is it to another team if the Colts let their players use the owner's private jet. A team should be able to transport its employees as they wish.

Some travel company or flight school should allow Luck to use a jet free of change

in exchange for 'special considerations' regarding season tickets to a certain Indy football team..

Not a bad idea but isn't that ridiculous? The NFL should allow teams every opportunity to run their own business.

It's all about not circumventing the salary cap.

If the Colts gave players free reign over Irsay's private plane to use at the leisure, then what is to stop Miami's billionaire owner of buying players south beach property. It is that simple.

As I said before, if Luck had a competent agent, he'd already have an agreement lined up with Luck and one of the executive jet companies that rents these jets out like Enterprise does cars.

Even without that. What's the most a few first class round trip tickets from Palo Alto/Miami could be? 25k? 50k?. Luck's getting far more from that on his Nike contract, is about to get 15 million or so in a signing bonus. Pay the money, make the trips, then treat it as a business expense on his taxes.

This isn't an insurmountable task.

Knowing we have cap issues and knowi g the CBA are two different things. For example I can tell when I am sick if I want to know what I have I have to go see a docter so he can tell me. This is why teams have people like gms to understand this stuff. The owners just do what they can to support the team. Thats what irsay was trying to do. He got told no my guess is that will be good enough for him and he isnt going to go looking for a loop hole as some have suggested because all that is going to do is draw the attention of the league and you don't want that.

He should still have a basic knowledge of the CBA. He was at the meetings, and had to agree to the conditions.

He should still have a basic knowledge of the CBA. He was at the meetings, and had to agree to the conditions.

I really doubt they went over you can fly your draft picks to and from town in those meetings that is not basic knowledge. If it was everyone would have known it before this even came up and frankly 99.9% of people did not. Basic knowledge is how long is it and what is the cap number and how much money does each side get, things like that. Frankly during the none stop CBA coverage last year they said lawyers draw up he details for the most part just like any legal document. The owners and players agreed on the big stuff but most of it was done by the lawyers each side had and the rep would look at their lawyers and say is this a good deal? That's how those deals get done. I really doubt if you can fly your draft picks on your private jet or not was thought to be a big enough deal that it was talked about during the CBA debates.

I really doubt they went over you can fly your draft picks to and from town in those meetings that is not basic knowledge. If it was everyone would have known it before this even came up and frankly 99.9% of people did not. Basic knowledge is how long is it and what is the cap number and how much money does each side get, things like that. Frankly during the none stop CBA coverage last year they said lawyers draw up he details for the most part just like any legal document. The owners and players agreed on the big stuff but most of it was done by the lawyers each side had and the rep would look at their lawyers and say is this a good deal? That's how those deals get done. I really doubt if you can fly your draft picks on your private jet or not was thought to be a big enough deal that it was talked about during the CBA debates.

Well instead of making a fool of himself everyday maybe he should read the CBA.