Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason - Game 1 Breakdown

Rich Cannon

Watching the Colts first preseason game on a local stream, I will try to be as fair and unbias as possible in my assessment of our first preseason game. There were some good things I saw and alot of things that need to be improved upon. Lets start with the good.

1. Drake Nevis played well and was disruptive and in the backfield on quit a few plays and would have gotten a sack but AJ Feeley flipped the ball to a reciever.

2. 1st team defense tackled well, and would have had a great goaline stop but due to passive play calling (which i will get to later) prevented that stop. Also on the first 2 defensive series AJ and Moala looked solid against the run.

3. Offensive line held there blocks well off the line and got a good push. ( starting offensive lineman)

4. Delone Cater, is just what the doctor ordered, he runs straight and runs hard. Showed a good burst and great cuts. Will contribute asap.

The Bad....

1. Defensive play calling, still is in question. Passive zones will be the death of us i tell you. In the redzone especially. Enough said

2. 2nd team defensive back tackling. Needs to get better quick or alot more people will be out of a job than we think. Several missed tackles against the Rams 2nd and 3rd team offense. Poor tackling resulted in at least to extra possessions the Rams got from 3rd and 5 or more, that should have been stopped.

3. Curtis Painter looked flustered on the first posession of the game overthrowing a reciever causing an interception. Painter has had time with the first team offense and still look uncertain at times where to go with the ball. But i promised not to be critical it was his first game and am not ready to give up on him as a backup. Dan O. didnt look to good either. He did hook up with Taj Smith on a long 44 Yd TD catch. But to his defense he doesnt really know the offense yet. I believe Dan O's throwing mechanics are better than Painters and doesnt get flustered in the pocket as easily and might take the back up Qb spot when he learns the offense. In my opinion Nate Davis was our best QB today. (i know he's facing the 3rd team defense and his stats weren't great)

I tried to be as fair and un bias in my breakdown. We have alot to work on, but we have the pieces to get it done :lombardi:

Watching the Colts first preseason game on a local stream, I will try to be as fair and unbias as possible in my assessment of our first preseason game. There were some good things I saw and alot of things that need to be improved upon. Lets start with the good.

1. Drake Nevis played well and was disruptive and in the backfield on quit a few plays and would have gotten a sack but AJ Feeley flipped the ball to a reciever.

2. 1st team defense tackled well, and would have had a great goaline stop but due to passive play calling (which i will get to later) prevented that stop. Also on the first 2 defensive series AJ and Moala looked solid against the run.

3. Offensive line held there blocks well off the line and got a good push. ( starting offensive lineman)

4. Delone Cater, is just what the doctor ordered, he runs straight and runs hard. Showed a good burst and great cuts. Will contribute asap.

The Bad....

1. Defensive play calling, still is in question. Passive zones will be the death of us i tell you. In the redzone especially. Enough said

2. 2nd team defensive back tackling. Needs to get better quick or alot more people will be out of a job than we think. Several missed tackles against the Rams 2nd and 3rd team offense. Poor tackling resulted in at least to extra possessions the Rams got from 3rd and 5 or more, that should have been stopped.

3. Curtis Painter looked flustered on the first posession of the game overthrowing a reciever causing an interception. Painter has had time with the first team offense and still look uncertain at times where to go with the ball. But i promised not to be critical it was his first game and am not ready to give up on him as a backup. Dan O. didnt look to good either. He did hook up with Taj Smith on a long 44 Yd TD catch. But to his defense he doesnt really know the offense yet. I believe Dan O's throwing mechanics are better than Painters and doesnt get flustered in the pocket as easily and might take the back up Qb spot when he learns the offense. In my opinion Nate Davis was our best QB today. (i know he's facing the 3rd team defense and his stats weren't great)

I tried to be as fair and un bias in my breakdown. We have alot to work on, but we have the pieces to get it done :lombardi:

A lot of wasted effort........ the Colts SUCK every year in the pre season.

like clockwork.......

The Bad....

A) Drake Nevis did look good. Very impressed for his first game out. B) The announcers said about 20 times before the game not to expect a very diverse play selection on either side of the ball. Its pointless to do that if you don't have your 11 starters out there at once. C) I thought Darren Evans ran well, made some nice plays on special teams, and was solid in pass protection. Since the kickoffs are pretty much washed now, I don't see a reason for Spann to stay over Evans. But we will have to see the final 3 weeks play out I guess.

A) Drake Nevis did look good. Very impressed for his first game out. B) The announcers said about 20 times before the game not to expect a very diverse play selection on either side of the ball. Its pointless to do that if you don't have your 11 starters out there at once. C) I thought Darren Evans ran well, made some nice plays on special teams, and was solid in pass protection. Since the kickoffs are pretty much washed now, I don't see a reason for Spann to stay over Evans. But we will have to see the final 3 weeks play out I guess.

who were the starters for the Oline? and about RG what do ya'l think if the loser of the LG battle move over to RG. and No it's not that big a difference to change sides it's not like RT to LT

Its not like the colts even prepared much for this game, and you forgot one person... Darren evans all his carries were good from what i could tell, he should definitely get more playing time....... aaaannnnnnndd he can block.

Right On..... Evans will make this team.

"A lot of wasted effort........ the Colts SUCK every year in the pre season.

like clockwork....... "

Unlike you, some people actually care to see how rookies, and newly added FA's do in their debut with the team bro.

No wasted effort at all.

Carter and Evans have potential, remember they weren't running behind our best line. Some of these guys played nervous though, afterall, it's their NFL debut.

Our Garcon is still a beast in 1 on 1 coverage, and had an awesome catch.

As for Painter, I'm not sold, but he has improved a but. Peyton, get well soon.

Our line seemed ok, not sure what to think of it yet, still some obvious rust from the off-season.

Our defensive line was very good at times, then very bad, Bradford had all day on some plays.

All in all it's our first preseason game, nothing too serious. We're 4-22 in the preseason since 05, so don't sweat it.

play calling in the preseason tends to differ from the regular season

Very true. Coaches are watching how players react. Colts never gameplan in the preseason.

Rich Cannon - good assessment. Also, the Rams played their 1s a lot longer than we did.

donald brown rans good today made quick decisions

carter ran well as the evans

i thought conztanzo and ijalana blocked well

nevis played good

interior linemen

pollack got blown up at center all nice

meclendon was ok

devan was ok

most pollack was getting blown up

StaticColt77....

yes I watch the yearly farce that is Indy Colt pre season football. Maybe I was a tad bit mean to the OP but the fact of the matter is. Half of the names we see making plays on the field in pre season. Won't make the team of 53. And we know that.

the first 2 pre season games are for "evaluation" of need areas. I get that.

Does this site need a "breakdown" of the "team" after pre season game #1?

Maybe I'm just crusty and old.... It's all good... :lombardi:

StaticColt77....

yes I watch the yearly farce that is Indy Colt pre season football. Maybe I was a tad bit mean to the OP but the fact of the matter is. Half of the names we see making plays on the field in pre season. Won't make the team of 53. And we know that.

It was a game breakdown not a team breakdown first off. Secondly, we can talk about Bob Sanders and Randy Moss on multiple threads and not have a breakdown of a preseason game thread? If you say so. Like you said "its all good"

StaticColt77....

Maybe your name should be crusty and old. lol :applause:

All you really want to see is some good signs from the young guys. And there were some. Nevis, the one guy on this team I wanted to see more than anyone else....he looked good. I agree with the OP, Carter had a couple of good moments. D. Brown had good moments, which was very encouraging. It was good seeing Wheeler in on tackles. Spann looked terrible in kick returns having trouble catching the ball & not doing much when he did bring it out.

All you really want to see is some good signs from the young guys. And there were some. Nevis, the one guy on this team I wanted to see more than anyone else....he looked good. I agree with the OP, Carter had a couple of good moments. D. Brown had good moments, which was very encouraging. It was good seeing Wheeler in on tackles. Spann looked terrible in kick returns having trouble catching the ball & not doing much when he did bring it out.

yea we are gonna have some big decisions at RB, i like Evans, i think he deserves a chance but Brown looked good and so did Carter not alot of room for all these guys

yea we are gonna have some big decisions at RB, i like Evans, i think he deserves a chance but Brown looked good and so did Carter not alot of room for all these guys

It's a good problem to have. Some of these guys will be on the practice squad and at least remain Colts. Who knows where things go from there....but hopefully we won't need to tap that kind of depth. If Brown has made the strides he must make this year, as I believe he will show, I'd be fine with an Addai/Brown/Carter rotation.