Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UDFAs Making An Impact

Moncrief

Keeping 5 tight ends on the roster is a bit insane but its all up in the air at this point also as far as Im concerned really the only locks at wide receiver at this point are Wayne and Collie, I cant say any other are an absolute lock at this point its likely that Hilton is but all the rest can raise some doubts, which raises the question, how can some people actually predict a winning record or the wild card or better this year when we arent even sure who will be our third receiver and so on, then again Pagano has a better idea then me, he has a birds eye view

IMO, the name Stanford is beginning to irritate me somewhat. The Colts are having to wait on him to finish classes, he has stated that he wants to meet up with Austin and Reggie but nothing has really been set up. Hopefully, with time all will change, but right now it's a bit irritating.

I'm always suspect whenever I read anything by that guy from StampedeBlue.

He took 3 tweets from other writers and turned it into a story on how Luck was favoring the UDFA's when he's "supposed to be working on timing" with the drafted WRs.

Ridiculous.

Keeping 5 tight ends on the roster is a bit insane but its all up in the air at this point also as far as Im concerned really the only locks at wide receiver at this point are Wayne and Collie, I cant say any other are an absolute lock at this point its likely that Hilton is but all the rest can raise some doubts, which raises the question, how can some people actually predict a winning record or the wild card or better this year when we arent even sure who will be our third receiver and so on, then again Pagano has a better idea then me, he has a birds eye view

I agree, that's just having way more depth than we'll even use. I predict that either Gronk or Eldridge are part of the final cuts. Probably Gronk.

well 53 makes the team roster only 46 suit up on game day so you have 7 players to mix and match week to week according to the game plan that week on who actually suits up one week you might dont want a fullback and want another tight end or vice versa or at any position

He took 3 tweets from other writers and turned it into a story on how Luck was favoring the UDFA's when he's "supposed to be working on timing" with the drafted WRs.

Ridiculous.

Yeah I know what you mean

Sambrano has been really impressive... He was running beautiful routes and he's looking like he'll get an invite to training camp. Whalen was solid too, but it helps to have Luck, a friend as your QB. Lavon Brazill was also solid, imo.

Nobody likes to mention it, but every year in training camp, somebody important goes down. If we are going to be a 3TE kind of team, then we will need 4+ TE's. Maybe one of the fullbacks can play TE as well if necessary.

Which reminds me, I would like to read an article on our new training coach and his regimen. I understood that he would be using more of the Olympic powerlifting style as opposed to what we did in the past.

Hilton is suppose to participate on Special Teams as he did on Florida International. I don't know what's up with Brazill. And obviously you got first Reggie (Wayne) and Austin (Collie), so Whalen and Sambrano may be going for the 3rd WR at the depth

Ridiculous.

Yep, ridiculous indeed. One could definitely spin it as Brady-esque in spreading the ball around to no-name WRs :), but that would be too much for that sensationalism-driven brain of StampedeBlue to acknowledge.

i think its a good thing that Luck is spreading the ball to the undrafted free agents more then the drafted WR's. we already know Fleener and Adams are the two TE's in indy (its obvious since they were drafted 2nd rd and 3rd rd) TY Hilton could see the occasional playing time at the slot WR, but little do people know Welker is the same size as hilton and he plays inside and outside WR slots. so dont be surprised if theres some plays where he is on the outside and collie moved to the inside. Whalen reminds me alittle of brandon stokely with alittle austin collie in him. and of course Luck is going to try to get him on the roster, why wouldnt he? he wants the guys hes comftorble with and he has played with both whalen and fleener his whole college career. but it isnt going to take anythingn away from other WR's. Brazill was drafted also and the colts are not gonna cut a guy who they used a pick on. not saying it cant happen, cause anything can happen and the best players deserve a roster spot. BUT with how the draft went and getting more offensive players then defensive players,i believe in my opinion their going to keep as many WR's and TE's as possible while being able to keep defensive depth on the team. I can see Hilton,Whalen,Brazill being on the roster come start of season.

i think its a good thing that Luck is spreading the ball to the undrafted free agents more then the drafted WR's. we already know Fleener and Adams are the two TE's in indy (its obvious since they were drafted 2nd rd and 3rd rd) TY Hilton could see the occasional playing time at the slot WR, but little do people know Welker is the same size as hilton and he plays inside and outside WR slots. so dont be surprised if theres some plays where he is on the outside and collie moved to the inside. Whalen reminds me alittle of brandon stokely with alittle austin collie in him. and of course Luck is going to try to get him on the roster, why wouldnt he? he wants the guys hes comftorble with and he has played with both whalen and fleener his whole college career. but it isnt going to take anythingn away from other WR's. Brazill was drafted also and the colts are not gonna cut a guy who they used a pick on. not saying it cant happen, cause anything can happen and the best players deserve a roster spot. BUT with how the draft went and getting more offensive players then defensive players,i believe in my opinion their going to keep as many WR's and TE's as possible while being able to keep defensive depth on the team. I can see Hilton,Whalen,Brazill being on the roster come start of season.

Correction you meant Allen instead of Adams. :thmup:

Apart from that I totally coincide in what you're saying

Ridiculous.

As a general principle, I tend to avoid anything by that tool. But I broke one of my cardinal rules when I followed that clown on twitter thinking that he may have some insight on breaking news. And then I quickly realized that his football IQ was amazingly low for someone who writes about the game so I follow him no more.

He basis his opinions on what others are reporting which is misguided. But to make the leap that he is working with the UDFA at the expense of drafted players is comically ignorant. The guy is a joke of the highest order.

As a general principle, I tend to avoid anything by that tool. But I broke one of my cardinal rules when I followed that clown on twitter thinking that he may have some insight on breaking news. And then I quickly realized that his football IQ was amazingly low for someone who writes about the game so I follow him no more.

He basis his opinions on what others are reporting which is misguided. But to make the leap that he is working with the UDFA at the expense of drafted players is comically ignorant. The guy is a joke of the highest order.

StampedeBlue is a great site - when BBS doesn't have an article. They have a lot of content, and the other writers are decent. Wells may be a 12 year old for all I know, he certainly writes like one. I understand that his motivation is to get page hits. But how about doing that with intelligent commentary, not by trying to start a controversy with every article?

I was hoping that Colts Authority would become the 'go-to' site. All the writers are good, there's just not as much content. Maybe when training camp starts they'll take off.

Am I the only one on this forum that believes that an UDFA (or any other rookie/1st year player) CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT make an impact during rookie mini-camp? I guess maybe they can if you are talking about them running into each other, but as far as having an impact on the team... I don't think so.

I disagree with coffeedrinker in thinking some of these UDFAs can't make an impact in rookie mini-camp. I went through the list and done quite alot of fact finding. I think there are at least 3 or 4 of these players that will make the roster. This years draft was one of the most talanted in a long time. The ones that stand out to me are Pellerin, Galippo and Baker. I am no expert but I try to look for things that the player can bring to the table. Good luck to all of the new players. I am looking forward to seeing you all at training camp.

IMO, the name Stanford is beginning to irritate me somewhat. The Colts are having to wait on him to finish classes, he has stated that he wants to meet up with Austin and Reggie but nothing has really been set up. Hopefully, with time all will change, but right now it's a bit irritating.

it's not just the Colts and it's not just Stanford guys. the rules are that any nfl team must wait for it's rookies to finish their classes when they atend a school on the quarter system. as for these meet ups, i wouldn't read much into there haveing not been one. two weeks ago was the draft, then last week was the mini camp. we may just see something happen in the next couple of weeks.