Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 05/03 Draft Recap

sb41champs

NOPE !! The backup QB situation isn't much better than it was last season at this time !! However - "the situation" at QB has changed dramatically !!

In "my humble opinion" we NEED a veteran QB - WITH NFL EXPERIENCE - to help mentor Andrew Luck for at least one season !!

QB Mark Brunell might be a good roster addition to consider !! He has considerable NFL experience - and - represented his conference in the Pro Bowl !! Additionally - he has the kind of personality qualities that would lend themselves to being a good "mentor" !!

I'm sold on Stanton playing in an emergency more than I am him being any form of a mentor. But that isn't saying much. I would have preferred a Chad Pennington/Jake Delhomme/Mark Brunell type that can be a mentor, because either way if the QB2 is forced to play it will be far uglier than it could be anyway.

There is plenty of learning that can be done "off the field", "behind the scenes", or "in the classroom", and I'm don't think Stanton can provide that.

Are you comfortable with QB Drew Stanton as the only "veteran" and/or "mentor" for incoming QB Andrew Luck ??

I'm comfortable with it considering who is and isn't available. The way I see it, backup veteran QBs do four things.

1. Hold down the fort until the rookie is ready to start. That is obviously not going to happen here no matter who we bring in. Once Peyton was gone, Luck became the game 1 starter.

2. Help develop the rookie's maturity and acclimatization to the spotlight of being in the NFL. Luck has been in the spotlight for a few years and seems pretty mature as it is. (There are no indications he is immature or going to self destruct like V Young or JaMarcus Russell.)

3. Step in and win some games in case of injury. Am I convinced our backups can do this? No, but I don't see many affordable options out there that are leaps and bounds beyond what we have.

4. Give on field help/advice/wisdom. This is an area where we could probably find better than what we have, but once again, I don't know if I see anyone out there it would be worth picking up.

Are you comfortable with QB Drew Stanton as the only "veteran" and/or "mentor" for incoming QB Andrew Luck ??

Sure....we're all new and Luck is gong to play most of the pre-season....

Everybody says Luck knows how to be a QB..and he has the pedigree.

It will just be a matter of what kind of success he has early and how his confidence grows..

There was a rumor for a while about us bringing in Byron Leftwich to mentor Luck. I always thought he had the slowest release in the NFL, why would we want Luck to learn from him.

But, yes, I won't be surprised if we bring in a veteran to teach Luck to be "an NFL QB", not necessarily mechanics or release, but how to train, study, read D's, etc.

I would just be pleased if Stanton can step in as an adequate backup QB throw the football down field & not fumble the pigskin. I don't view him as a veteran just a warm body to step in & hold the fort down if Luck gets hurt.

I don't expect much from backup QB's: Show up on time, master the playbook, practice well, & manage the game plan without any catastrophic repercussions on the field.