Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Draft Preview

Zbikowski wasn't a starter in Baltimore, so this holds as much water as people saying that McKinney can start at NT so we don't need to draft that either. There's nothing wrong with competition or depth. Having 4 great safeties is an awesome problem to have. CB is a need as well, but both CB and SS feature "backup" players. So I don't see how one is greater than the other for need.

Depending if Freeney is here or not, I agree with OLB, definitely a RB if Ballard or Carter don't step up this year and of course you can't have enough O-line although I feel pretty good about ours as it is. I'm looking at WR, DE, CB, SS next year in the first. Any of those would make me pretty happy.

Brandon Taylor or Devin Jenkins are both linebacker/defensive ends in a 3-4 Im sure we can pick one of them two up in the second round, strong safety we need a backup and we can get that in later rounds, Id get Amerson at Corner

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon Taylor or Devin Jenkins are both linebacker/defensive ends in a 3-4 Im sure we can pick one of them two up in the second round, strong safety we need a backup and we can get that in later rounds, Id get Amerson at Corner

What's funny about this is, more than likely next year we will be talking about different players. I remember when Vontaze Burfict was a can't miss player going 2nd or 3rd overall...just wanted to throw that out there. A lot can change in a year.

If we have a top 5 pick next year, i'm going Robert Woods, Barkevious Mingo, or David Amerson in that order. Any of those would be great additions to the team next year.

What's funny about this is, more than likely next year we will be talking about different players. I remember when Vontaze Burfict was a can't miss player going 2nd or 3rd overall...just wanted to throw that out there. A lot can change in a year.

If we have a top 5 pick next year, i'm going Robert Woods, Barkevious Mingo, or David Amerson in that order. Any of those would be great additions to the team next year.

I'd go David Amerson, Jerraud Powers is a nickel Corner in my opinion because hes better at tackling then he is an playing coverage and getting the interception, I think he would be better and nickel and coming over blitzing the quarterback, stats and tape dont lie the guy isnt a serious interception threat because he dont play for that I like Devin Taylor alot to he is BIG man with speed

Thing is I have never been a fan of the dont reach for a pick strategy if you have a particular player you want early and depending on how many needs we have of course but I wouldnt draft a wide receiver in the 1st because we already brought in wide receivers this year (none of those are #1 I know) but we already have Wayne who is a legit #1 if we want a fast wide receiver who can catch Im sure that can be found in later rounds and they can be taught to run better routes, Freeney likely wont be coming back if he doesnt do as well as many people think this year standing up, their will certainly be better option in the 3-4 hybrid in the draft, also as far as Corner goes ours should be better this year but none of them are near shutdown Corners, they werent even that in college

1. David Amerson CB N.C. State

A 6-3 ball hawking corner, who is great in coverage.

2. Brandon Jenkins 3-4 OLB Florida State

A 6-3 OLB, with a quick first step and good strength. May need to work on his top end speed.

3. Jonathan Cooper OG UNC

A 6-3 OG, a very good athlete who is a very good run blocker and is good in pass protection.

4. Margus Hunt 3-4 DE SMU

A 6-8 DE who is a physical freak. He has blocked 14 kicks in 3 years and is a world class shot put shot put and discus thrower. He will need a lot of developing because he is a very raw player.

most of us want defense which is what we need but would you guys be surprised if we drafted robert woods?

I wouldnt be surprised as well I wouldnt like it cause we would be losing out on Amerson, Rhodes and Corner is a bigger position of need at this point

most of us want defense which is what we need but would you guys be surprised if we drafted robert woods?

I think some of the receivers we drafted, Hilton, Brazill, and Fleener (even though he's a TE) will play pretty well, so it won't make receiver a priority.

However, I would not be upset as he's a great prospect. Manusky would probably pop a cyanide capsule though.

I think some of the receivers we drafted, Hilton, Brazill, and Fleener (even though he's a TE) will play pretty well, so it won't make receiver a priority.

However, I would not be upset as he's a great prospect. Manusky would probably pop a cyanide capsule though.

Who is the #1 WR if Reggie goes down? All we have are slot receivers backing up Reggie. Since we did not get our next #1 WR this past draft, we need to be looking for one in the next and looking early.

Who is the #1 WR if Reggie goes down? All we have are slot receivers backing up Reggie. Since we did not get our next #1 WR this past draft, we need to be looking for one in the next and looking early.

True, but we won't know until we play. Our WR corps could be serviceable and our D could be atrocious or it could be the other way around. This will be Freeney's last year so we may have to find the heir apparent for him too.

I don't think we'll have a top 5 pick to take Woods anyways.

True, but we won't know until we play. Our WR corps could be serviceable and our D could be atrocious or it could be the other way around. This will be Freeney's last year so we may have to find the heir apparent for him too.

I don't think we'll have a top 5 pick to take Woods anyways.

I agree that our Receiving Corp is serviceable, but serviceable does not win very many games (ask Browns,Rams, and others). Our Defense should be decent if our FAs play up to the expectations and the CBs our as good as we all hope. I understand that it takes more than 1 draft to rebuild. As for Freeney's replacement, I am hoping Hughes plays up to the ability he showed in college.

IMO, we will be drafting in the Top 5 next year. If we don't, I will be pleasantly surprized.

- - - This Kid is good!!! great speed, size and good hands. We need defense but this guy or Woods wouldnt be a bad pick as a shocker pick. But I hope we go OLB or CB.

His stock was down last year because he was injured for most of the season. But in 2 games he had 16 receptions, 302 yards and 2 TD's.

- - - This Kid is good!!! great speed, size and good hands. We need defense but this guy or Woods wouldnt be a bad pick as a shocker pick. But I hope we go OLB or CB.

Maybe if we have the #1 or #2 pick, we can trade out and get two 2nd round picks. We could take and OLB and a WR in that round.

Maybe if we have the #1 or #2 pick, we can trade out and get two 2nd round picks. We could take and OLB and a WR in that round.

Oh if we traded a first or a second round pick this year we would get a go bit in return. probably a second round pick this year and that teams latter first round pick if they have one as well as a pick a top three pick next year. But I personally would like to see us keep what pick we have this year. Especially id we could get a Jarvis jones, Amerson or even Manti Teo who impresses me the more I watch of him.

There just seems to be alot of defensive talent coming out next year that I hope we take advantage of. If we can solidify our LB core and CBs then I think our Defense is gonna turn around. I really don't see a whole lot of holes. Plus we will have some money to spend on a quality free agent as well next year so that will help. And If we end up letting Freeny go we may get another 3rd round compository pick for him, maybe a second rounder depending on how he does, but if he does well enough Id bet we bring him backas we should for the right amount of money.

Oh if we traded a first or a second round pick this year we would get a go bit in return. probably a second round pick this year and that teams latter first round pick if they have one as well as a pick a top three pick next year. But I personally would like to see us keep what pick we have this year. Especially id we could get a Jarvis jones, Amerson or even Manti Teo who impresses me the more I watch of him.

I meant trade out of the #1 pick not top 5.

• 5 weeks later...

Ill take

1.Amerson if hes still healthy and has another great year, if not then Rhodes

2.Brandon Jenkins or Devin Taylor

3,Chance Warmack or Alvin Bailey or Larry Wharford

4.Jaz Reynolds

My top 4 rounds

Someone's been doing a lot of good homework. Much more than me!

They all look like interesting players.... but the last one hit a big speed bump... Reynolds has been suspended for the 3rd time. The team says he (and two others) are no longer on scholarship. Sounds like he wants to see them earn their way back on to the team. But it's up the kids. Reynolds was suspended twice in 2010 and now again. The only reason is "breaking team rules" No specifics. Otherwise, he looks like an interesting prospect....

The who process of what we need and matching it against what is, or may be available, is going to be fun to watch play out over the year! Interesting time for those of us who loves following this sort of thing....

:thmup:

Someone's been doing a lot of good homework. Much more than me!

They all look like interesting players.... but the last one hit a big speed bump... Reynolds has been suspended for the 3rd time. The team says he (and two others) are no longer on scholarship. Sounds like he wants to see them earn their way back on to the team. But it's up the kids. Reynolds was suspended twice in 2010 and now again. The only reason is "breaking team rules" No specifics. Otherwise, he looks like an interesting prospect....

The who process of what we need and matching it against what is, or may be available, is going to be fun to watch play out over the year! Interesting time for those of us who loves following this sort of thing....

:thmup:

Oh I didnt know he has been in some form of trouble

Jared Abbrederis maybe then

Jared Abbrederis**, WR, Wisconsin

Height: 6-2. Weight: 180.

Projected 40 Time: 4.41.

Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

5/12/12: Even though Abbrederis had less receptions than No. 1 receiver Nick Toon, Abbrederis topped Toon in yardage. The sophomore caught 55 passes for 933 yards and eight touchdowns. He exploited a lot of soft coverage and produced some big plays for quarterback Russell Wilson. Abbrederis also returned punts and averaged 16 yards per return.

The Badgers lost a lot on offense, so Abbrederis should see more attention from defenses in 2012. He had a modest freshman season with 20 catches for 289 yards and three scores. Abbrederis has good size with deceptive quickness.

Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

5/21/12: Jenkins had a breakout season in 2010. As a first-year starter at right end, he led Florida State in sacks while the Seminoles led the nation in sacks. Jenkins notched 13.5 sacks with 21.5 tackles for a loss. He had five multi-sack games and was voted the team's MVP.

Jenkins started out his junior season slowly. Jenkins drew extra blocking coming off his stellar 2010 season, but that helped defensive end Bjoern Werner have a breakout year. Jenkins didn't play well against Oklahoma, but he bounced back against Clemson with a sack and a number of pressures on quarterback Tajh Boyd.

Jenkins has 39 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss and seven sacks last season. He played better down the stretch as he adjusted to the double teams and also drew more one-on-one blocking. Jenkins's strength is his pass-rushing. He hasn't been a real standout as a run defender.

Jenkins is a speed edge-rusher coming around the corner. He has a nice repertoire of moves to throw at offensive tackles. Jenkins is an excellent athlete who could fit well in a NFL 3-4 defense as an edge-rusher. The biggest negative about him is that he could be more physical at times.

Jenkins' athletic ability is enough of a mismatch for him to record at least seven sacks this season, and he probably will approach double-digit sacks, if not record 10+. That would give him a total of 30 sacks over three seasons and that kind of production usually spells first-round pick.

Devin Taylor, DE/OLB, South Carolina

Height: 6-7. Weight: 248.

Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

5/21/12: Taylor recorded 7.5 sacks with 46 tackles during his sophomore season in 2010. He also broke up eight passes and had an interception returned for a touchdown.

Taylor started the 2011 season extremely slow. Around mid-October, something woke him up and he had a strong three game stretch. Against Arkansas, Taylor recorded a sack with three tackles with 1.5 tackles for a loss, a pass broken up, and an interception returned 48 yards for a touchdown. For the 2011 season, he had 42 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks.

Taylor was a backup at times in 2011 with Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney staring for South Carolina. With Ingram in the NFL, Taylor should have plent of opportunities to improve his production in 2012. Taylor is fast and athletic, and if he is drafted into a 4-3 defense, he probably will need to put on some weight.

David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Projected Round (2013): Top-10 Pick.

5/22/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions.

Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State

Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round (2013): Top 25.

5/22/12: Rhodes was consistent as a cover corner as a sophomore last year, so teams threw away from him. He had 43 tackles with an interception and four passes broken up.

]Rhodes had an interesting conclusion to his sophomore year. He was matched up against Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd, and Rhodes put together a phenomenal tape for NFL evaluators.

While providing blanket coverage against Floyd, one of the best receivers in the nation, Rhodes went down in a multi-player collision in the second half. He sustained a knee strain and was held out of the end of the game. Prior to Rhodes' injury, Floyd had only three catches for 22 yards.

Rhodes made an immediate impact for Florida State breaking into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. He recorded 58 tackles, four interceptions and 12 passes broken up, along with being named the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Rhodes is a big cornerback who is very physical with receivers. He does a good job in press man coverage. Off the snap, Rhodes limits the release with a strong jam and rerouting skills. He has the speed and athletic ability to run with receivers after the jam.

Against Floyd, Rhodes showed the ability to match up with an elite receiver. Floyd couldn't beat Rhodes with speed or size. He is a good run defender who is capable of putting on some nice hits on ball carriers.

Alvin Bailey*, OT/G, Arkansas

Height: 6-5. Weight: 319.

Projected 40 Time: 5.36.

5/13/12: Alvin Bailey enters his junior season coming off a two good redshirt years in 2010 and 2011. He has started at guard and did a good job in blocking for running back Knile Davis and quarterback Ryan Mallett in 2010. Davis ran for over 1,000 yards, and Mallett threw for more than 3,000 yards with Bailey blocking up front. He was an SEC All-Freshman selection.

Bailey was a strong pass protector as a sophomore for quarterback Tyler Wilson in 2011 and was a Second-Team All-SEC pick. Bailey is a strong guard who already is a good run blocker. He should only get better as he gains experience and has a high ceiling for the NFL.

Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

Height: 6-3. Weight: 320.

Projected 40 Time: 5.30.

5/13/12: Chance Warmack enters his senior season having started two seasons at guard for the Crimson Tide. He is a powerful road-grader who did an excellent job of opening up holes for the Alabama running game in 2011. Warmack could see his stock rise over his senior season. He played better in the rematch against LSU than he did in the regular season contest. As long as Warmack stays healthy, he should be a solid second-day pick.

Larry Warford*, G, Kentucky

Height: 6-3. Weight: 340.

Projected 40 Time: 5.31.

5/13/12: 'Larry Warford was named a Second-Team All-SEC performer in 2011 for the second straight season. He did a very good job of opening up holes for running back Derrick Locke in 2010. Waford is also a good pass blocker. He is strong at the point of attack and can push defensive linemen around. He Furthermore, Warford underrated speed and quickness for his size. Warford, Warmack and Bailey are all very comparable prospects who should turn into solid starters at guard in the NFL.

From Walterfootball.com

Yes. Pollard, one of my favorites from Purdue. It's not that I don't like Zbikowski, I do. But his stats from last year look like what Angerer does in a couple of games. There just isn't enough to go off of to say "he's the guy" we need at SS from here on out.

Angerer was in the top 10 in tackles last year and I believe top 5, Pollard played in 16 games last year, started 13 games and had 75 tackles for the season thats 5.77 tackles a game over 13 games started thats 92.32 tackles or rounded down 92 , Tom had 23 tackles through 4 games starting, thats 5.75 tackles a game, Tom was on pace for 92 tackles if he would have started all 16 games

On pace isn't the same as actual production. Again...I like Zbikowski. I watched him play at ND and I think he's a serviceable safety. But should we just close the books on drafting a SS because we have Zbikowski? I don't thinks so. I'm just skeptical about players until they show me they have real value through their stats. I think it's a better position to take than to be overly optimistic.

Nothing wrong with reaching for a player that you absolutely want for example, lets say we take Amerson in the first or Rhodes either one take your pick I dont care and also lets say projected 1st rounder Sam Montgomery DE/LB is gone, Barkevious Mingo is gone Jarvis Jones is gone and Te'o is gone (the only reason I name so many is because Walterfootball.com has them 1st round picks undoubtedly 1-2 will fall just like Upshaw fell to the 2nd this past draft, But I am taking a guy like Brandon Jenkins at what looks to be a position of need after this year (DE/OLB)rather then take the best player available at a position thts not a glaring need only to say that I took the best player available

True but we still have a lot of needs. If DJ Fluker (OT), Robert Woods (WR) and Amerson (CB) are all available at...3rd overall...lets say we do that horribly. All of these are positions of need, for different reasons. The man that gets picked is going to be the one that the scout's and GM feel the best about. So that's where i'm coming from. It's reaching when you pass up other quality players that are also at a position of need.

I think OT and CB are all pending on the upcoming season to see if we need to spend a 1st round pick on either position, but WR is pretty clear that we have nobody besides Wayne to play that role.

why are we wanting to draft a safety when we have Bethea and Zbikowski, we need a Corner thats a #1 and a outside linebacker, we probably need a running back and Guard to, safety shouldnt be top priority by a long shot

well to me we call CB a need because we have 1 starter and a bunch of suspects. and i agree cb is a need. but i think its the same in S, bethea is solid but Tommy is no guarantee, thats why i wouldnt rule out CB and S with our first 2 picks, but id preffer any combination of DE/OLB/CB/WR with our first 2 picks