Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense! Defense! Andrew Luck!

BrentMc11

it wasnt so much Coyer as it was Polian I think, I cant find it but there was some article or quote that leads me to believe it was more polian than coyer

Either way...no more 62-7.....Coyer sat in the booth eating coney dogs....A true leader. I would have fired him on the spot. Edited by Coltssouth
inappropriate

Grigs made it pretty clear that he had a Best Player Available strategy. And, that a couple of times, he had a D player on his board that was drafted just before he picked.

Am I missing something?

Are you?

I think you are on top of it. I was all aboard on offensive weaponry.

I would have loved a good DB, but not a thug named Jenkins.

Grigson is a genius! The faster opposing offenses score the more time Luck gets on the field to develop!

Pagano knows defense....we need to get across the 50. McAfee will kick long field goals this year. AV is a HOF kicker 45 and in! Thanks for the comment!! :)

No offense Brent but are you on Adderall? I love your enthusiasm but I have a hard time following your posts. lol Still love your enthusiasm though!!

OK...I just PM'd you to come over and say something.....Check your inbox.

Not sure what adderll is, but I love talking football, basketball and baseball. I am retired in my old age....HA HA! Thanks dg!

Our cap space next year will be so good, we could probably bring in 2 BIG TIME free agents, not just the scrubby backup variety.....although Satele and Redding are no such scrubs.

I think Redding is an okay pick up. Satele is a scrub. We are his third team in 5 1/2 years in the league. Quality offensive linemen, particularly centers and tackles don't bounce around that much.

I agree that next year we will have the cap space to bring in a couple of impact free agents. I would also look for us to go after at least one quality interior o-lineman with an early round draft choice.

I think the FO had to choose between O and D, and as Luck was 1/1 pick, they've decided to boost up O and to provide Luck with targets. However our D doesn't look such bad, I still believe we need to reinforce D too. But this may happen only next season, not having more picks and salary cap.

I'm excited about new draftees, and hardly can wait for the season-start.

I agree that the "D" doesn't look that bad. Anxious to see how Freeney and Mathis do at LB. Maybe a real surprise here. Colts signed a couple of FA corners who can play.

I think Redding is an okay pick up. Satele is a scrub. We are his third team in 5 1/2 years in the league. Quality offensive linemen, particularly centers and tackles don't bounce around that much.

I agree that next year we will have the cap space to bring in a couple of impact free agents. I would also look for us to go after at least one quality interior o-lineman with an early round draft choice.

Dude. Satele was traded to Oakland and they couldn't re-sign him because they were in a place that would be the very definition of 'salary cap heck'. Sometimes good players get moved around. It's the nature of the business. Brandon Marshall is a pretty good wideout, he's bounced around a few times.

I just dont see us going after to many free agents. Build through the draft. Why rebuild a team with old(in football years) players? Thats like going to the park to play basketball and picking upo your team from the seniors center on the way out. I see a couple free agents, unless our FA from this year don't pan out. I hate to say it, but it seems to be a curse to pull a high profile FA away from there team to have them flop. happens alot for alot of money. It also seeme like there is a good draft class next year. Jenkins would have been a hassle. The Rams have people assigned to check in with him a couple times a day. He is a grown man by aw, time to act like it nstead of gettting a FO babysitter

Who are those couple of Free Agent Corners that can play? I hope we signed one that plays like a #1 Corner, if we can stop the run then Freeny and Mathis will come into play at outside linebacker but if a run is bounced outside towards them Im not willing to bet they can make that tackle a good run game cancels out a good blitz, if Chapman returns to form and Mckinney can come in and hold down the fort then that will help alot

Brent i know you will agree with this,our secondary will no longer be a laughing stock given the chance to really play,As i recall until Nevis went down to injury our run defense was showing signs of life last year,.NO MORE undersized DLs ,no more being blown off the ball,PAGS wont stand for it.Your assement of attacking D will be right so now the secondary will have a chance to play.So now we set back and see what talent we really have .regaurdless it will be a vastly improved D from a vastly improved system.

honestly if Irsay and co hadn't come out and bragged early that we were gonna be bigger and more powerful (forgive me for not finding the quotes) we wouldn't have assumed they meant power on both sides of the ball in regards to run.

We did alright mostly because we couldn't do wrong. It was obviously a 2 year process and we chose offense. Grigson made it clear that there were guys on D they wanted and that makes me feel better to some extent. If you really wanted D you would've taken Upshaw instead of Fleener and at least be able to stop the run next year.

While the two TE formation and a FB acquisition sets up the framework for running the ball on offense, we still have a void of large players on the defense and our rookie NT is coming off ACL surgery.

We did well in the draft and early analysts had us on the top. After a couple of days we're slipping in those standings because people have had time to absorb what other teams like cleveland did and move them from a loser to a winner bracket. now Andrew Luck is considered teh winner as opposed to the "colts".

In response to your comment BleedingBlue,I would totally be shocked if we dont stop the run,I think your selling short what we have in a healthy Nevis,the free agents from the Ravens and of course the big boy from Alabama Chapman ,wich from what ive read will be ready to go by training camp.So that being said the secondary will no longer have to cover for 5 to six seconds while Freeney and Mathis are being held trying to come around the outside.Reason why,your gonna have a push up the middle.Therefor the cover guys dont have to cover for long periods of time,wich i dont care how good your secondary is,thats an impossible thing to pull off against a good QB with decent recievers

In response to your comment BleedingBlue,I would totally be shocked if we dont stop the run,I think your selling short what we have in a healthy Nevis,the free agents from the Ravens and of course the big boy from Alabama Chapman ,wich from what ive read will be ready to go by training camp.So that being said the secondary will no longer have to cover for 5 to six seconds while Freeney and Mathis are being held trying to come around the outside.Reason why,your gonna have a push up the middle.Therefor the cover guys dont have to cover for long periods of time,wich i dont care how good your secondary is,thats an impossible thing to pull off against a good QB with decent recievers

That said Jay Kirk, we are no longer playing the "Prevent the win" defense.

Colts fans, we were 0-13 without #18! Yes some of our favs are gone.

Pagano KNOWS defense....we would never take Janoris Jenkins. Coaching will make the difference in the secondary! Mark my words.!!!!

I love the enthusiasm but even when our Corners were in college none of them were in the same area code as Janoris Jenkins as far as talent and cover ability, yes I am not discussing his off the field issues that is something else entirely I am speaking of pure talent and especially in our secondary Jenkins was an instant number 1, with that said we passed on him and Im ready to see what these Corners can do now that they are given a real chance but we still dont have a shutdown Corner even if they are better

Im ready to see what these Corners can do now that they are given a real chance but we still dont have a shutdown Corner even if they are better

Me too Gavin, but I'm going to hold off on saying we don't have a shut down Corner until they have a chance to actually play. Previous coaching kept them from being able to do that IMO.

I just dont see us going after to many free agents. Build through the draft. Why rebuild a team with old(in football years) players? Thats like going to the park to play basketball and picking upo your team from the seniors center on the way out. I see a couple free agents, unless our FA from this year don't pan out. I hate to say it, but it seems to be a curse to pull a high profile FA away from there team to have them flop. happens alot for alot of money. It also seeme like there is a good draft class next year. Jenkins would have been a hassle. The Rams have people assigned to check in with him a couple times a day. He is a grown man by aw, time to act like it nstead of gettting a FO babysitter

Well, you don't have to be "old" to be a FA. Through FA you can get players who have proven that they can compete in the NFL, not kids who have never played a single down in the NFL. You only get so many elite picks in the draft, and it's always a gamble.

Sure there are some FA's who get overpaid, but that has been known to happen with regard to 1st round picks in the draft as well. Quite a few $ have been flushed down the drain on 1st round picks that turned out not to have what it takes to play in the NFL anyway. I think there are quite a few teams out there, that knows what I'm talking about.

Why not go both the FA and the draft way, and pick up the quality you can get from both?

Well, you don't have to be "old" to be a FA. Through FA you can get players who have proven that they can compete in the NFL, not kids who have never played a single down in the NFL. You only get so many elite picks in the draft, and it's always a gamble.

Sure there are some FA's who get overpaid, but that has been known to happen with regard to 1st round picks in the draft as well. Quite a few $ have been flushed down the drain on 1st round picks that turned out not to have what it takes to play in the NFL anyway. I think there are quite a few teams out there, that knows what I'm talking about.

Why not go both the FA and the draft way, and pick up the quality you can get from both?

Agreed CopenhagenColt. I couldn't have said it better. People forget that there are many FAs that are the victims of cap space and contract debates and style not fitting into the type of O or D being ran, etc.

I would question people with the mentality that FAs are sub-par talented players with this: If after this year Freeney hasn't adapted to the 3-4 D, and we decided to not renew his contract therefore he goes into FA, is he a player who lacks talent and isn't a superstar? Just saying...perspective...

Agreed CopenhagenColt. I couldn't have said it better. People forget that there are many FAs that are the victims of cap space and contract debates and style not fitting into the type of O or D being ran, etc.

I would question people with the mentality that FAs are sub-par talented players with this: If after this year Freeney hasn't adapted to the 3-4 D, and we decided to not renew his contract therefore he goes into FA, is he a player who lacks talent and isn't a superstar? Just saying...perspective...

I didn't call anyione sub par. Interperet it any way you want. i started to argue back, but not looking for a suspension for doing so.

Look for all the people yelling we needed to get more defenisve help you are right we need more defensive help. I am sure the Colts know this but say we had drafted CBs and a safety rather than WRs in the draft. People would just be here screaming we didn't get Luck any weapons to work with.

This is the most telling nugget in this thread. They are saying that Luck will struggle behind a new oline. They say we are going to struggle on defense because of losses and changes in scheme. But they are NOT saying we will struggle because of weak skill positions. Thats because we addressed it in the freakin draft.

This is the most telling nugget in this thread. They are saying that Luck will struggle behind a new oline. They say we are going to struggle on defense because of losses and changes in scheme. But they are NOT saying we will struggle because of weak skill positions. Thats because we addressed it in the freakin draft.

we addressed tight end, we addressed defensive tackle, we didnt address Corner, we didnt address Guard

I didn't call anyione sub par. Interperet it any way you want. i started to argue back, but not looking for a suspension for doing so.

amff, my response was in general and not targeted towards you. If I wanted to actually respond to something you had said I would have quoted you. My response was that in general there is a misconception that FAs are sub par. Again, my response was not directed at or towards you.