Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis tweets on Luck

Jules

This is why I admire Robert Mathis: Let Andrew Luck show you his skill set in practice & on game day. Let Luck show me his metal makeup on the NFL field & be his own man & field general. Yes, Yoda AKA Peyton Manning he is not, but every grand journey starts with 1 small step of determination & consistency IMO.

Wayne now Mathis, Im really starting to develope some man crushes. I love the chemistry we are building. Nothing better than a team full of guys who would go out there and lay it on the line for each other. Not thanks for the premadonas like the jets to name one.

love what mathis said. more leg room since the bandwagon fans are gone.

oh trust me not only will they be back but we will have more when Luck start lighting it up. Luck, Horseshoe...was meant to be!! All we need now is a 4 leaf clover

haha loved the "or JaMarcus Russell" part. I agree with him though. As much as it is impossible to get away from, Luck shouldn't be compared to anyone. Let him develop into the type of QB he wants to be; let him be Andrew Luck instead of the next Peyton or the next Montana or anything

Luck will never be Ben Roethlisberger!!!!!! I'm unimpressed with him this far!!!!!

So, he won't have any awkward encounters with 18 year old drunk girls in a bathroom stall?

Why the heck did we draft this guy? Doesn't he know what being a pro athlete is all about?

:)

oh trust me not only will they be back but we will have more when Luck start lighting it up. Luck, Horseshoe...was meant to be!! All we need now is a 4 leaf clover

Well, I live near the Notre Dame campus, you want me to ask around???

Now THAT'S more like it, ya'll!!! It was looking like gloom and doom around here just a week ago with all the "we'll be lucky to win 4 games" babbling (especially disheartening considering the weak division the Colts are in). It's good to see you guys (and gals) more pumped for the regular season! :number1: :foam:

Good stuff.

ROBERT MATHIS@RobertMathis98

Had convo w/ our new #TriggerMan &im;impressed thus far.He's mentally locked n loaded2lead his squad! ONLY (cont) http://tl.gd/h7kbdu

ROBERT MATHIS@RobertMathis98

@TitleistMac RT: he will never be peyton <~~~~~~ #Deepbreath or Montana,Favre,Brady or even Jamarcus Russell because he is ANDREW LUCK dude.

One more reason why I love Robert Mathis. How right he is to point out that Andrew Luck will be just that--Andrew Luck, his own man with his own skills and his own accomplishments.

And I love that our team is pumped and ready to get to work. Pagano said his phone was "blowing up" just seconds after the announcement was made that we drafted Luck by players wanting Andrew's phone # to welcome him to the team.

I also love that players like Wayne are--according to videos on Colts.com--already getting in touch with Luck to see about meeting at various places to work out together and start developing chemistry.

Hang on folks, it's gonna be a good ride!

haha loved the "or JaMarcus Russell" part. I agree with him though. As much as it is impossible to get away from, Luck shouldn't be compared to anyone. Let him develop into the type of QB he wants to be; let him be Andrew Luck instead of the next Peyton or the next Montana or anything

Exactly.

I'm even more excited that locker room leaders are reinforcing this because that's the best way for Luck to develop. Don't try to be Peyton Manning. Be Andrew Luck.

I could not disagree more..

Luck will ALWAYS be compared to Peyton Manning.

Not just because fo the Colts but because of their dads.

I hope he gets to the point where he can embarace it...

I would love to hear him say that he wants to be the player Manning was..

Its a ton of pressure..but big time pressure is what the QB position is all about....

Its a ton of pressure..but big time pressure is what the QB position is all about....

why would you wanna add more pressure on the kid then whats already there

He did already. Something to the effect of "being mentioned along with him would be an NFL dream."

But he's also said he's not going to try and compare himself to Manning. Which he shouldn't. That's a no win proposition for all involved.

I don't think 21is Superman is saying Andrew won't be compared to Peyton. I think instead he is saying that people should not compare him to Peyton. In fact, his exact words were: "...Luck shouldn't be compared to anyone. Let him develop into the type of QB he wants to be; let him be Andrew Luck instead of the next Peyton or the next Montana or anything..."

To which I point I do agree. People should let him be his own man with his own style of playing. Judge him on his accomplishments, not those of others, but realize this will never happen. Too many people like to draw comparisons, so he will be compared to Peyton for many years to come.

That being said, Luck said in a interview after the draft that being compared to Peyton is an honor, and a dream.

I have no doubt that Andrew's shoulders are "big enough" to shoulder the weight that has already been placed on him. Plus he has the encouragement of veterans like Mathis and Wayne to help him through it.

As a Colt fan I have no problem letting this team establish it new identity. The people doing all the comparison will be the media and I'm hoping they'll give Andrew some latitude. I don't think they gave Peyton any.

Luck has a different skill set from Peyton though. For one thing, Luck can scramble much better than Peyton. I want Luck to utilize his own talents and do what he does best instead of go out of his way (and possibly hinder his development) just to be like Peyton or Brady or any other QB

Now THAT'S more like it, ya'll!!! It was looking like gloom and doom around here just a week ago with all the "we'll be lucky to win 4 games" babbling (especially disheartening considering the weak division the Colts are in). It's good to see you guys (and gals) more pumped for the regular season! :number1: :foam:

I'm looking forward to the season too, but I still don't expect the Colts to wins lots of games. I guess that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to see the new blood, new system, new potential. It could still be an ugly year with lots of inconsistency, but it will be fun to see the potential. Just because a few vets post a couple of tweets doesn't mean the Colts are all of the sudden contenders.

But it will still be fun!