Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener is the key

oldunclemark

Going in some had Allen going ahead of Fleenor. When I saw Allen was available I knew we would have 2 TE's.....the two best TEs in the draft 2 and 3....I loved the call. My girlfriend said...everyone is going to think you are stupid. I said: Give them a couple of days to think about Arians's preference to use 2 TEs......and a man named Luck. Good point 28!!! :)

Have to admit Brent i was scratching my head for a few,but the more i tought about it,and looked up things on Allen the more it made total sense.Allen can do everything well,Fleener has the potential to be a great receiver,can line up te or wr.I personally feel this was a great and very smart draft,surrounding Luck with tools to suceed

Have to admit Brent i was scratching my head for a few,but the more i tought about it,and looked up things on Allen the more it made total sense.Allen can do everything well,Fleener has the potential to be a great receiver,can line up te or wr.I personally feel this was a great and very smart draft,surrounding Luck with tools to suceed

I am already out of likes for the day since I was on from 1200-430. My girlfriend said "everyone is going to think you are stupid.' I just said "The best two TEs in the Arians offense and Andrew Luck. 3 of the top 40 players in the draft....priceless.

so thrilled with the Fleenor pick as I am a fan.... so many posts pre-draft discounting our serious need for TE's and then we get TWO! Thank you Grigson!

I told Jay I am out of likes.....We need to put points on the board to win...offense had to happen.....Pagano will make it happen on defense.

Fleener is just one of many keys,Reggie will be a key as will the offensive line,and establishing a cosistent running game,.Special teams will be a big key as well as a Pagono run defense.People who say end of draft isnt important dont have a clue,its very important as welll as picking up free agents,what you do there can loom large.

Fleener is just one of many keys,Reggie will be a key as will the offensive line,and establishing a cosistent running game,.Special teams will be a big key as well as a Pagono run defense.People who say end of draft isnt important dont have a clue,its very important as welll as picking up free agents,what you do there can loom large.

There is a nice thread on our undrafted FAs started by Andy246.....some good pick-ups. Exciting stuff!

I told Jay I am out of likes.....We need to put points on the board to win...offense had to happen.....Pagano will make it happen on defense.

exactly... plus our D was really looking pretty good already....Mathis, Moala, Nevis, Conner, Angerer, Bethea, Redding, etc.. all will do well under Pagano's plan!!!! I'm thinking of adding some wins to my 2012 guesses now :)

exactly... plus our D was really looking pretty good already....Mathis, Moala, Nevis, Conner, Angerer, Bethea, Redding, etc.. all will do well under Pagano's plan!!!! I'm thinking of adding some wins to my 2012 guesses now :)

I cannot wait to see Chapman learn the Pagano system.....if healthy he will play NT instead and along with McKinney......

so interesting that we have no focus on running the football and trying to help luck out. you don't dominate up front with a zone blocking scheme and finesse players......

When the line was healthy last year, we did not run that bad. Training camp is key this year Coach Clancy. I am optimistic strides will/have been made up front. Arians and Pagano want smash mouth football.

I think Grigson and the FO played their cards VERY well. Spend the cap money on (mostly) Defense, and draft (mostly) Offense.

I was really expecting to hear the words "Cordy Glenn" for our 2nd pick, but I'm happy with the Fleener pick. Instant chemistry will show itself this first year when Luck is learning the new offense.

I think Grigson and the FO played their cards VERY well. Spend the cap money on (mostly) Defense, and draft (mostly) Offense.

I was really expecting to hear the words "Cordy Glenn" for our 2nd pick, but I'm happy with the Fleener pick. Instant chemistry will show itself this first year when Luck is learning the new offense.

Glenn is a monster......I felt the same way at number 2. I think you may realize I was up half of the night....lots of fun stuff on here today!

LG8 is all over it

We DID get defensive players........the old boxer/safety from ND..Balt's backup NT

...the LB from Canada....

..we got them before the draft....and we kept Freeny and Mathis.....and Connor and Angerer and Bethea.

We return most fo the 'D' that played last year (we can debate the value of that) and our new coaches

wanted those guys back...

The offense needed a new team..the defense may just need a new scheme

We had zero offensive weapons.....I was with you on Upshaw, and then saw Allen...two TE sets and Arians...a no brainer.

These guys know defense.....we are going to disguise so much and.....bring the heat. We have no idea how good our corners/DBs/LBs can be in this new attacking Defense. These 'cats' will not be playing 12 yards off of the ball with Pagano.

I think if we knew Allen would be there in round three we go with Upshaw in round 2. When round three came and Allen was still there he had so much more value compared to other players on the board we had to take him. We walked away with 2 pro-bowl calibre tight ends.

Fleener+Allen > Gronkowski+Hernandez

I think if we knew Allen would be there in round three we go with Upshaw in round 2. When round three came and Allen was still there he had so much more value compared to other players on the board we had to take him. We walked away with 2 pro-bowl calibre tight ends.

Fleener+Allen > Gronkowski+Hernandez

I agree with you fully on this.....I saw Upshaw.....and Glenn at 2 and I was salivating then, but to get Luck's best friend and solid pass catching TE.....then to get Allen. I am pleased.

I know some have said CB....LB....We can NOT win unless we put points on the board. With Reggie, Collie, Allen, Fleenor, Avery, Hilton, and Brazill....we have scoring capability immediately...Luck has weapons. Luck can now be dangerous. Thanks for the comment!!!

Just to address this "unbalanced draft" idea.

I, along with everyone else, was waiting for us to grab some defensive players (CB's anyone?) but I have to give the FO credit they stuck to their board and that is hard to do.

The thing is, we are not going to compete for a Super Bowl in the next 2 years. We need to build one brick at a time. Pagano knows more than anyone what the Defense needs. By the time he gets it to where he wants, the offense should already be humming.

To win a Super Bowl we need both sides to be contributing. If we had a "more balanced draft" it would take the same amount of time for all the pieces to be in place on both sides.

AND if we had a abandoned our board in order to have a more balanced draft the quality of the pieces would not be as good.

Having said that, we may not be as good in 2012 as we would have if we had a well balanced draft, but we will be a contender, and a better contender just as soon or sooner.

I agree wordofmouth. I have always be a firm advocate that a stout defense wins precious Lombardi hardware. Yes, we need to sling the ball effectively down field & Fleener & Allen should aid in that endeavor along with Collie & Wayne. I wanted more secondary help for our squad personally. Maybe next year's draft perhaps. Fleener & Allen made exceptional plays in college, but the NFL is a whole different animal. I will reserve my overall judgment on Fleener & Allen until about week 10. Show me what you are really made of gentlemen...Not sugar & spice, but toughness & tenacity please. Thank you. By the 3rd year under Pagano & Grigson, our squad will be making deep Playoff runs again IMO.

Sad about defense this past year. The two SB teams ranked 31st and 27th in overall D. The Packers go 15-1 and have the last ranked D. Saints D was pretty lackluster but they had the O.

Teams like SF and Baltimore WITH the elite Ds fall short of the big one. No top QB on either of those two teams. Texans had a top D but a third string QB so there you have it....

The year before GB and Pittsburgh DID have top Ds. Packers had a good D AND O which made them pretty dangerous come playoff time. Pitts still has Big Ben hate him or love him as a QB.

Balance is still the key to me. But, mark is kinda right. the teams with great defenses and lackluster QBs don't seem to be heading to any SB's lately.......

Colts played Rex Grossman in the SB. They had a great D and special teams but with a better QB that team could have very well beaten us and we are still ring less.

I still want the Colts to have a good D but I don't expect them to become Baltimore over night. To just GET to the playoffs again it might be more important that Luck and his supporting cast become potent.

Just some rambling out loud.......

I agree, i think fleener will be a stud.. He looked like a man among boys against notre dame last year

He made 4 catches for 97 yards and 2 TDs, he had a good game but don't go overboard talking smack about my Irish!!! LOL

He had 4 for 57 yards and another TD the year before... I am also an ND fan... lol

As an aside, I went to the season opener last year with the grandson of Elmer Layden, one of the famed "four horsemen" that played for Knute Rockne and we sat 6 rows up from the field--real seats, no benches. Unfortunately they lost the game but it made history as the first Notre Dame game to be postponed twice and from opening kickoff to final gun was over 7 hours!

As an aside, I went to the season opener last year with the grandson of Elmer Layden, one of the famed "four horsemen" that played for Knute Rockne and we sat 6 rows up from the field--real seats, no benches. Unfortunately they lost the game but it made history as the first Notre Dame game to be postponed twice and from opening kickoff to final gun was over 7 hours!

I was at the USF game.. We split when the weather got really bad,, That was pretty scary at times..

Sad about defense this past year. The two SB teams ranked 31st and 27th in overall D. The Packers go 15-1 and have the last ranked D. Saints D was pretty lackluster but they had the O.

Teams like SF and Baltimore WITH the elite Ds fall short of the big one. No top QB on either of those two teams. Texans had a top D but a third string QB so there you have it....

The year before GB and Pittsburgh DID have top Ds. Packers had a good D AND O which made them pretty dangerous come playoff time. Pitts still has Big Ben hate him or love him as a QB.

Balance is still the key to me. But, mark is kinda right. the teams with great defenses and lackluster QBs don't seem to be heading to any SB's lately.......

Colts played Rex Grossman in the SB. They had a great D and special teams but with a better QB that team could have very well beaten us and we are still ring less.

I still want the Colts to have a good D but I don't expect them to become Baltimore over night. To just GET to the playoffs again it might be more important that Luck and his supporting cast become potent.

Just some rambling out loud.......

Its not either-or.

Nobody wants bad defense....everybody wants great D

but that wont get you to the playoffs playing in Indy..which is the goal

I just think that folks like football the way they grew up and played it and coached it..

A lot of peole never liked the Colts finesse stryle of indoor football but it worked and NOLA and NE (and now Detroit) copied it

I know every body here is REALLY into the pro and college game so you cant help but see that the pro game is a passing drill

(and the college game is even worse)

the old cliches about 'defense wins' just are not true...

Teams gain 55-60% of ther yards through the air. Look at the numbers

Now in Baltimore and Pitts burgh..in that division..the weather is an extra defender late in the year.

You would not build an elite passing team...

But in Indy....the weather is always perfect....and the division foes play in warm weather..

..and the rules dont let the coenrs hold or the QB get touched

we took advantage and passed teams out of the building

THATS WHY WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS 12 YEAR IN A ROW

(and its why we missed last year)

We all saw how New Orleans just shredded SF's top-ranked defense in the playoffs last year.

...The game has changed from even 5 years ago...does anybody deny that?

To ignore these factors is like ignoring that the seasons change

I'm glad our masterminds didnt do that.

.and Fleener and TY add speed we've lacked since some of our stars got some years on them.

You are all going to like our offense

I agree - the tight end position is key to today's NFL offense. I was excited by the Fleener pick - thinking may need to get the Nike Jersey of Fleener this year. I was suprised by the second TE pick - thinking DT or DB would be priority there - but apparantly talent level at that point didn't warrant anything else but picking the next TE. I am glad that we have a GM that knows talent trumps need and that hopefully all the needs can be addressed over 2-3 years of drafting and free agents. Meanwhile, our offense now has pieces in place that could make us hard to contend with (though may take 2-3 years to realize full extent as the young players adapt to the NFL).

Well my last post before i go yo work.I agree we couldve used Upshaw,Glenn,among other people,but i said all along that if Fleener was there that selection was a no brainer,i still stick by that comment.If we took someone else at 2 it changes whole complection of the draft and we probably dont get the other players we got,And Southwest my good freind your right these are rookies its a big step up,but the talent is there and i do have faith this staff will bring it out.SMILE EVERYONE THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT!!!!!

Well OP, when we had the Young City Kid as our QB, we had some awfully talented TE's come through here..... Dilger and Pollard were above average, Fletcher was the epitome of average, maybe a bit below avg..... and Clark was well, there is a major CFB conference for awards named after Dallas, and that usually is reserved for DEAD guys.... so yeah, he was pretty awesome in his prime. Now, Andrew has two TE's who project to be at least near as good as The Young City Kid's first couple of years here with Dilger and Pollard.... now if we can only find Andrew a Marshall/Edge type back to lean on..... ; )

so interesting that we have no focus on running the football and trying to help luck out. you don't dominate up front with a zone blocking scheme and finesse players......

say what?!? look it up bud, we have always ran out of our 2 te set's. has our best years with it. not to mention it is perfect for our qb who comes from the same system. oh and did I mention max protection. better take that coach off your name....

oh yeah, we went out and got OL who excel at run blocking...winning!