Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Special Teams Will Not Hurt The Colts This Year

Darren

Special teams seems like it hurts us every year but this year due to the fact that kick offs will be moved up to the 35 yard line instead of the 30 yard line we should be fine. We should just let pat kick off and boot it into the endzone everytime so that way we wont have giant kick off returns on us all the time.

Special teams seems like it hurts us every year but this year due to the fact that kick offs will be moved up to the 35 yard line instead of the 30 yard line we should be fine. We should just let pat kick off and boot it into the endzone everytime so that way we wont have giant kick off returns on us all the time.

Isn't it interesting that BP is a prominent member of the rules committee and this rule (in the guise of player health) has "Colts" written all over it?

Not only does this help our poor KO coverage, it also means we can start on the 20, instead of the 17, and have less ST injuries.

You'll think that when we play @ Gillette in December.

Special teamers have to be extra vigilant and not get complacent when covering kicks. I'm willing to bet that we get burned more than once due to guys thinking 'touchback' when the returner either decides to come out, or the cold windy air sinks the kick short.

Special teams can still hurt us as far as blocking field goals, 50+ field goals (because vinatieri prefers the 40 yarders and closer), and PUNT returns. Kickoff returns will not hurt us as much. I think the kickoff rule will definitely help us however. As Ruksak pointed out, this will give us further motivation to get home field advantage and play in the climate controller oil drum in the playoffs. Cold air will definitely shorten our kicks.

Here is also a good read showing that the Colts benefit from the rule change more so than any other team. I posted this on the old forums, but I have not seen it here since we moved.

My link