Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Jenkins

Rashad

I think we should make a trade for mike jenkins i think a 5th or a 6th rounder next year would be able to get him. He was a probowler two years ago and with chuck pagano being an ex-cornerback coach i think he can help him become one in indy

I'm seen multiple references to people desiring to get Cowboys DBs. I don't pretend to know much about them, but I can't reconcile hearing endless draft commentators describing the Cowboys defensive backfield as THE weak link dragging the whole team down - necessitating their giving up a SECOND ROUND pick just to move up 8 spots to get a CB, prompting celebrations akin to winning the lottery, with any enthusiasm for taking on players they don't want. Does not compute. Jones is horrible, but he's not an *. Clearly they felt that they had a serious problem at the position.

Well, he was a Pro Bowler in 2009. Then in 2010(granted with the entire Cowboys defense pretty much sucking...) he was amongst the worst starting CB's in the league.

the opponent's pass rating to his man was a shocking 122.6 - worst in the NFL among starting corners. He was 7th in the NFL in penalties among corners and personally conceded a league-high 994 yards against.
He's also battled injuries and had surgery on his shoulder in January. And Drew Rosenhaus is his agent = Moooneeeyyyy.

Not likely to happen, but maybe with a change of scenery and new coaches he can go back to his Pro Bowling days?

For a 5-6th rounder I'd be all for it, but money wise I'm not sure we can afford him. The Samuels got just under 5 million a year, and Jenkins will probably be after at least that much. Don't think we can handle that right about now.

Glad you are not the GM. :scratch:

its better then experimenting with a undersized defensive lineman who was a stud at his position granted but hes 32 and never played linebacker in his life and if we keep him and we have a bad year guess what we just payed a guy 14 million for one year to play a position he never played before its illogical, I know people want Freeney and Mathis for sentimental value but sentimentalness doesnt win games and this will cost us 14 million dollars when we could have gotten a true beast of a Linebacker in the second round in Upshaw, I like the Fleener pick and Im sure we will upgrade the defense but we will have 14 million less dollars to do so, championship teams recognize sentimentalness doesnt win games guys that can play there given positions do and in this case that position is Linebacker

The consensus seems to be from 'most Colts fans is we need a lock down corner. When Ryan Grigson was hired, he said he was going to "roll up his sleeves, shut his door and go to work watching film." Watch film he did. All chronically injured players are gone whether we liked the player or not. He hired a defensive guru in Chuck Pagano. Pagano brought in Roy Anderson from the Ravens to coach the secondary (safeties) and Mike Gillhamer (secondary coach) from Ilinois and Carolina.

My thoughts are these coaches (Pagano), along with Grigson and Tom Telesco do not think our secondary is broken. They looked primarily at film of a lax Cover 2 defense where our secondary is 10-12 yards off of the ball.

We have Bethea and Powers who will benefit from an attacking defense, and my feelings are we will see a vast improvement in the young men we have in Kevin Thomas, Chris Rucker, and Terrence Johnson as well under the tutelage of Anderson. (Who worked with Ed Reed) Add Tom Zbkowski to the mix, David Caldwell improved...as did Joe Lefeged., and we may be fine in this new defense.

That said, my emphasis is MAY BE! We got Luck some weapons, and there is still time to move on DBs including our new UFAs just signed. Remember, these guys KNOW defense. Let them make sound decisions. We have our beef on the DL now.....time to rock and roll!!

Edited by BrentMc11

I don't think he is worth it. I definately would have liked to get a nice corner in the draft and obviously we tried for a good one in round 3 but came up a pick or two short but I think these guys will pick on from UDFA and perhaps a vet they feel comfortable with once players get cut to get down to the final 53. We have a young stable of CBs. Albeit injury prone it seems but we can't fix all our positions this year. We had to roll the dice on something. Poor TE, no WRs, no OL, poor secondary. Look we decided to give the young guys a year to truely evaluate them in the new system. Can't argue with that. I don't think we are going to say these are the guys for the future but I do think one or two will step up and we will be happy with. Once we see that we find replacements for the others. Most people like Powers as at least a number 2 but what if he sucks in the new scheme. Everyone is learning to play a little differently and will have growing pains. I am fine. We fixed our glaring need at QB and TE and sured up the running game and addressed depth at wr. That is a lot to do in the draft so we did good. We didn't have that 50 million in cap space this year so I think we did a solid job building a team that will at least be competitive. Probably won't win us much more than 5 games but that is understandable.

its better then experimenting with a undersized defensive lineman who was a stud at his position granted but hes 32 and never played linebacker in his life and if we keep him and we have a bad year guess what we just payed a guy 14 million for one year to play a position he never played before its illogical, I know people want Freeney and Mathis for sentimental value but sentimentalness doesnt win games and this will cost us 14 million dollars when we could have gotten a true beast of a Linebacker in the second round in Upshaw, I like the Fleener pick and Im sure we will upgrade the defense but we will have 14 million less dollars to do so, championship teams recognize sentimentalness doesnt win games guys that can play there given positions do and in this case that position is Linebacker

And gamle on a rookie providing our pass rush with Mathis double/triple teamed? You're way too caught up with Freeney as a linebacker. The Ravens last year played the vast majority of their downs with four down linemen. We will as well. Yes we will also have Freeney and Mathis standing up, but they are at their best with their hands in the dirt and Pagano understands that.

We checked out the market for him and it wasn't there. Yes, 14 million is a lot, but given the uncertainty we have at cornerback, we need a strong pass rush and Freeney along with Mathis, gives us that.

I don't think he is worth it. I definately would have liked to get a nice corner in the draft and obviously we tried for a good one in round 3 but came up a pick or two short but I think these guys will pick on from UDFA and perhaps a vet they feel comfortable with once players get cut to get down to the final 53. We have a young stable of CBs. Albeit injury prone it seems but we can't fix all our positions this year. We had to roll the dice on something. Poor TE, no WRs, no OL, poor secondary. Look we decided to give the young guys a year to truely evaluate them in the new system. Can't argue with that. I don't think we are going to say these are the guys for the future but I do think one or two will step up and we will be happy with. Once we see that we find replacements for the others. Most people like Powers as at least a number 2 but what if he sucks in the new scheme. Everyone is learning to play a little differently and will have growing pains. I am fine. We fixed our glaring need at QB and TE and sured up the running game and addressed depth at wr. That is a lot to do in the draft so we did good. We didn't have that 50 million in cap space this year so I think we did a solid job building a team that will at least be competitive. Probably won't win us much more than 5 games but that is understandable.

Out of likes so I have to quote! Good points dgambill

And gamle on a rookie providing our pass rush with Mathis double/triple teamed? You're way too caught up with Freeney as a linebacker. The Ravens last year played the vast majority of their downs with four down linemen. We will as well. Yes we will also have Freeney and Mathis standing up, but they are at their best with their hands in the dirt and Pagano understands that.

We checked out the market for him and it wasn't there. Yes, 14 million is a lot, but given the uncertainty we have at cornerback, we need a strong pass rush and Freeney along with Mathis, gives us that.

You are correct.....there will be so much disguising in this defense. It will be a pleasure to see defense actually played in Indianapolis. 62-7 no more.

were gonna end up with number 1 pick again everyones happen about offence but defense will struggle again and the offense line aint great weve got mainly back ups of other team except for castanzo even he aint top LT but i dont think it will be good plus over cbs are crap this is a pass happy league weve only got one good cb so well struggle for another year

I'm seen multiple references to people desiring to get Cowboys DBs. I don't pretend to know much about them, but I can't reconcile hearing endless draft commentators describing the Cowboys defensive backfield as THE weak link dragging the whole team down - necessitating their giving up a SECOND ROUND pick just to move up 8 spots to get a CB, prompting celebrations akin to winning the lottery, with any enthusiasm for taking on players they don't want. Does not compute. Jones is horrible, but he's not an *. Clearly they felt that they had a serious problem at the position.

Allow me to assist. :)

The Cowboys secondary was indeed a disaster in 2011. This was primarily due to the fact that Terrence Newman is a shell of his former self at 33 years old and that they had perhaps the worst safety group in the league bar none. Sensabaugh is okay as a SS but every other safety on that roster is just awful. Injuries caused Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick (who Cowboys fans like but isn't anything special) to miss games and play Alan Ball (one of aforementioned awful safeties) at the nickel for a few games and it seemed like that entire defense just wasn't on the same page as Rob Ryan (who is, thankfully, an awful defensive coordinator) which also contributed to the mess. Signing Brandon Carr was a necessary move for them and they could easily have settled with just cutting Newman and rolling with what they had but Claiborne falling to a spot where they could go up and get him potentially gives them a very dangerous unit as opposed to just a serviceable or good one.

Mike Jenkins himself had a monster breakout season in his second year as a pro and looked like the next great thing at CB only to regress somewhat in his third and fourth seasons. He's not bad, though, and would be a legitimate #2 corner or very good nickel for a lot of squads. The Cowboys just don't want to give him a new contract (final year of his rookie deal, so he won't hit your cap hard) and would prefer to get something for him now rather than let him go for nothing later. If you really trust Pagano and your secondary coaches then he'd certainly be worth a mid-to-late round flier just to see if he can be coached back up to his potential.

Allow me to assist. :)

The Cowboys secondary was indeed a disaster in 2011. This was primarily due to the fact that Terrence Newman is a shell of his former self at 33 years old and that they had perhaps the worst safety group in the league bar none. Sensabaugh is okay as a SS but every other safety on that roster is just awful. Injuries caused Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick (who Cowboys fans like but isn't anything special) to miss games and play Alan Ball (one of aforementioned awful safeties) at the nickel for a few games and it seemed like that entire defense just wasn't on the same page as Rob Ryan (who is, thankfully, an awful defensive coordinator) which also contributed to the mess. Signing Brandon Carr was a necessary move for them and they could easily have settled with just cutting Newman and rolling with what they had but Claiborne falling to a spot where they could go up and get him potentially gives them a very dangerous unit as opposed to just a serviceable or good one.

Mike Jenkins himself had a monster breakout season in his second year as a pro and looked like the next great thing at CB only to regress somewhat in his third and fourth seasons. He's not bad, though, and would be a legitimate #2 corner or very good nickel for a lot of squads. The Cowboys just don't want to give him a new contract (final year of his rookie deal, so he won't hit your cap hard) and would prefer to get something for him now rather than let him go for nothing later. If you really trust Pagano and your secondary coaches then he'd certainly be worth a mid-to-late round flier just to see if he can be coached back up to his potential.

Interesting, thanks.

I don't think Mike Jenkins is the kind of player you move money around to get. He's a guy you sign in August for vet minimum because he still hasn't found a squad and you need some depth at corner.

I dont think he will go for vet min., he may look for a middle of the road CB contract like $3 mil. per year, IMO.

The guy we can get for vet min. is the guy I made a thread earlier about. He is a man corner that fits Pagano's new D over Coyer's old one, Andre Goodman, who was released by the Broncos. A 1 yr. contract for vet min. till we shore up the position in the next draft and get our young ones' feet wet. He is 33 years old, not as old as Deshea Townsend that we signed at 35, who gave us some backup minutes and that was about it. So, I am certain we can get 1 yr. out of Goodman as a stop gap if we need it badly.

Otherwise, like I said, build a roster with 4 CBs, 2 tweener safeties that can play nickel CB and FS (Micah Pellerin and Mike Newton, maybe??), then 4 other conventional safeties in Bethea, Zbikowski, Lefeged and Caldwell.