Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is David Gilreath Worth A Roster Spot?

Andy

If he makes the team, it's because of his kick return abilities. Do you think the Colts should give him the spot, or save it for a backup? What if he doesn't help our special teams?

The Colts don't give anything. He has to go earn it.

And what do you mean "save it for a back up." Isn't that what Gilreath would be?

Also, I think you answered your own question. If he makes the team, it will be due to return abilities. If he does not help on ST's, what is his value?

Having said that, I think there is an interesting thing developing with White. If Gilreath makes the team it will presumably be at White's expense. But if White does not get off the PUP soon, maybe they stash him on IR for the year, particularly if Gilreath (or any other receiver) impresses.

The Colts don't give anything. He has to go earn it.

And what do you mean "save it for a back up." Isn't that what Gilreath would be?

Also, I think you answered your own question. If he makes the team, it will be due to return abilities. If he does not help on ST's, what is his value?

Having said that, I think there is an interesting thing developing with White. If Gilreath makes the team it will presumably be at White's expense. But if White does not get off the PUP soon, maybe they stash him on IR for the year, particularly if Gilreath (or any other receiver) impresses.

Hence why the rumored Housh signing makes sense. If White is destined for IR, the Colts will not fill his spot with an unproven rookie (IMHO).

I think Gilreath is competing with Taj for a ST spot. Unless he's brilliant in the next four games, he's most likely PS material.

It's too early to tell. We need to see him in a few pre-season games first. With all of the punt and kickoff returns records he set for the Big 10, I feel like we need to give him a chance. There's nothing wrong with putting him on the practice squad for a year either. Especially with Gonzo's contract being up, he might be called upon next year if he sticks it out with the team.

Smonroe - that is why I have been saying ad nauseum in the tj thread that if they carry a 5th receiver that player better contribute on special teams. At this stage of his career that is not tj. That is why it makes more sense if something is done with gonzo than white. Gilreath is competing with white. They both will contribute on special teams.

gonzo was another one of polians first round draft pick bust lol its like 5 yrs in a row he's a legend

A lot of people feel Gonzo is a bust, and indeed he may be, but that's not on Polian. Gonzalez had zero injury concerns in college nor at the Combine. The only reason he might be a bust is injuries, and there was no indicator that they'd ever be a problem.

Guys like Ugoh had signs, and I'll lay that on Polian. Personally, though, Gonzo isn't Polian's fault.

Ive been to three practices this camp, and watching him, He shows sighns of wes welker. Runs good smart routes, but the bad I saw were his strength running over the middle, and dropped a few a Colts wr should go up and get. Overall he should be kept on the practice squad, unless he can win return duties. This is my thoughts on him, not as wise as the people who matter.

Polian haters, go ask Bills fans if they miss there hall of fame front office talent scouting guru.

Hence why the rumored Housh signing makes sense. If White is destined for IR, the Colts will not fill his spot with an unproven rookie (IMHO).

I think Gilreath is competing with Taj for a ST spot. Unless he's brilliant in the next four games, he's most likely PS material.

Unproven?? what does that have to do with anything. If david gilreath performs well in the preseason he is gonna get a spot on the team... chances are no one will make a big impact on kick return so his chance to shine there is very slim unless like bob lamey said the rams might kick the ball so that kick returners are able to return to see what type of player they have... But unproven or not if your good you will get a spot on the team.

Unproven?? what does that have to do with anything. If david gilreath performs well in the preseason he is gonna get a spot on the team... chances are no one will make a big impact on kick return so his chance to shine there is very slim unless like bob lamey said the rams might kick the ball so that kick returners are able to return to see what type of player they have... But unproven or not if your good you will get a spot on the team.

You're missing my point. If White (now experienced) can't play due to injury, we'll want a guy that can step right in if Collie or Gonzo goes down again. Experience will win out over raw talent, especially this year.

Where did Blair start the season last year?

You're missing my point. If White (now experienced) can't play due to injury, we'll want a guy that can step right in if Collie or Gonzo goes down again. Experience will win out over raw talent, especially this year.

Where did Blair start the season last year?

Im guessing when you say we you mean you yourself cause when garcon went down last year guess who came in, Blair white did and that was in the Broncos game two games after the Reg season started the same day he was signed off the practice Squad....... Now i could see what your saying but being proven and unproven doesnt mean anything it all matters on who can step up and play especially with the colts.