Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 Biggest Needs Met

Creekside

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this was a good draft but I don't understand why we put so much of a focus on offense and not defense. We could use some help at weak side LB and CB.

.....if Chapman is as good as some say, the addition of a legitimate NT is no small thing....can't really run a 3-4 without one....I know there is the back-up from the Ravens, but he's been in the league 7 years as a back-up....

It's a good draft so far, it's not a great draft by any stretch.

A great draft focuses on balancing the teams needs. All we doing is picking TE's and WR's (small WR's, like always).

Polian would have had a better draft, just my 2 cents.

Polian, for all the offense heavy drafting at the top, had more defensive picks than offense starting rounds 3 and onwards. Unfortunately, a lot of his round 3 picks stunk :).

But the cupboard was way more empty on the offensive side and like the others said, without reaching for a defensive player or two, they missed out on a few, IMO.

.....if Chapman is as good as some say, the addition of a legitimate NT is no small thing....can't really run a 3-4 without one....I know there is the back-up from the Ravens, but he's been in the league 7 years as a back-up....

I'd take a backup behind Ngata and trust Pagano if they signed him, wont you? Ngata is bound to make a lot of NTs expendable. :)

I actually really like the first 5 pks. However I would have liked to have had Ta' amu. As for the final picks I am more "meh". Fugger's highlights looked interesting. I feel I would have drafted differently much like a lot of others posters on here, but I know I am no GM, and my paycheck reflects that as well (LOL). But definitely not disappointed.

Under new coaches and new schemes I think its a great starting platform with room to grow and we do have a lot of Cap Space next year if we so choose to go after some "X-Factor" types.

Overall I leave this draft for the most part happy and ready for the new year! Go Colts!!

A great draft focuses on balancing the teams needs. All we doing is picking TE's and WR's (small WR's, like always).

..........but the Colts really need two tight ends...all they had was one who was purely a blocker...that the two best TE's in the draft fell to them is almost a miracle....

I'd take a backup behind Ngata and trust Pagano if they signed him, wont you? Ngata is bound to make a lot of NTs expendable. :)

.........he was also a back-up for the Chargers (I think)...the contract he signed with the Colt's was practically minimum wage by NFL standards...not alot of bidding for him evidently...

Polian, for all the offense heavy drafting at the top, had more defensive picks than offense starting rounds 3 and onwards. Unfortunately, a lot of his round 3 picks stunk :).

But the cupboard was way more empty on the offensive side and like the others said, without reaching for a defensive player or two, they missed out on a few, IMO.

Polian drafted for over a decade, making this team a playoff team every year and going to SB twice.

We haven't even played 1 snap with the players Grigson drafted. Why should a fan praise Grigson so soon?

I will be the first one to give him all my props if this all works out great. Until then, all I see is small WR's drafted and absolutely 0 decent players on D.

You are putting Luck in a situation where he needs to score 35 points a game and will still lose those games. Remember early years with Peyton?

..........but the Colts really need two tight ends...all they had was one who was purely a blocker...that the two best TE's in the draft fell to them is almost a miracle....

I don't mind the TE's. Thats good. Especially the mate from Stanford who Luck is very accustomed to.

I just don;t understand the 2 puny WR's. I mean comon mate. Look at other teams. They are drafting WR's size of Boldin and the monster from Detroit. They are all big.

Polian drafted for over a decade, making this team a playoff team every year and going to SB twice.

We haven't even played 1 snap with the players Grigson drafted. Why should a fan praise Grigson so soon?

I will be the first one to give him all my props if this all works out great. Until then, all I see is small WR's drafted and absolutely 0 decent players on D.

You are putting Luck in a situation where he needs to score 35 points a game and will still lose those games. Remember early years with Peyton?

Hey, I have been disappointed with the lack of infusion of defensive talent, just like you. Maybe not to the extent like you. But I am a bit disappointed, just to make it clear on the defensive side. I also pointed out to cases where I felt Grigson probably missed out on a defensive player or two (mainly today) because he did not reach for him a round early. I think that is what exactly happened. So I do not think it was a conscious case of them not wanting to draft D. But they refused to reach while other teams reached and filled needs on both sides of the ball. That is how I view it.

But Polian would have been drafting for a different style and scheme so you can't really compare. At this stage only pags and grigs know what we need right now. While we didn't go defense much i trust pag's know defense and the one he wants to create. I'm just delighted we got Hilton. I've been a big fan see looking at a few games can't wait to see him develop.

I don't mind the TE's. Thats good. Especially the mate from Stanford who Luck is very accustomed to.

I just don;t understand the 2 puny WR's. I mean comon mate. Look at other teams. They are drafting WR's size of Boldin and the monster from Detroit. They are all big.

..........Wes Welker is 5-9.....Santana Moss 5-10...Percy Harvin 5-11........don't have to be 6-3 to be a good NFL receiver......"But they'll get outmanned by bigger CB's"....Texans starting CB's are 5'10 and 5-11...Titans starting CB's are are 5-10 and 6'.......Jags are a bit bigger at 6-0 and 6-1.....if they can get open and catch the ball, they will be good picks....

..........Wes Welker is 5-9.....Santana Moss 5-10...Percy Harvin 5-11........don't have to be 6-3 to be a good NFL receiver......"But they'll get outmanned by bigger CB's"....Texans starting CB's are 5'10 and 5-11...Titans starting CB's are are 5-10 and 6'.......Jags are a bit bigger at 6-0 and 6-1.....if they can get open and catch the ball, they will be good picks....

I'm not saying that all WR's need to be big. We already have a small wideout in Reggie. We drafted T.Y, ok he is tiny, I guess we can use the speed. But then we go and draft another tiny WR. comon man.

We could have used our 4th pick on CB or LB. Seriously, think about it.

I'm not saying that all WR's need to be big. We already have a small wideout in Reggie. We drafted T.Y, ok he is tiny, I guess we can use the speed. But then we go and draft another tiny WR. comon man.

We could have used our 4th pick on CB or LB. Seriously, think about it.

....obviously Fleener will be more of a receiver than blocker...he's 6'6"....Allen is also a good receiver at 6'3"....and we are being told that they will both be on the field at the same time quite often....so Luck is going to have big targets....

....obviously Fleener will be more of a receiver than blocker...he's 6'6"....Allen is also a good receiver at 6'3"....and we are being told that they will both be on the field at the same time quite often....so Luck is going to have big targets....

I agree with you, they are big targets and I like both players. The problem is a receiving TE still lacks the speed of a big WR. The difference is huge.

Arians offense. He loved the small speed receivers in Pittsburg. He can use Fleener as an outside/red zone receiver

Hey, I have been disappointed with the lack of infusion of defensive talent, just like you. Maybe not to the extent like you. But I am a bit disappointed, just to make it clear on the defensive side. I also pointed out to cases where I felt Grigson probably missed out on a defensive player or two (mainly today) because he did not reach for him a round early. I think that is what exactly happened. So I do not think it was a conscious case of them not wanting to draft D. But they refused to reach while other teams reached and filled needs on both sides of the ball. That is how I view it.

But what I don't get is it seemed liked they reached on several of the offensive players that they took. Hilton, Brazil, Ballard and Anderson all seemed like reaches...to me at least.

Hilton, Brazil, Ballard and Anderson all seemed like reaches...to me at least.

Of these players mentioned, I believe Hilton has the most potential to erase that "reach" title applied to him. The others? You may well be right.

Of these players mentioned, I believe Hilton has the most potential to erase that "reach" title applied to him. The others? You may well be right.

And I will freely admit that he's the one of that group I mentioned that I'm the least convinced was actually a reach. Considering the fact that they traded up to get him, maybe they knew of a few other teams who were getting ready to draft that they think valued him as much as they did. So yeah, he may not have been as much of a reach as it seemed to me like he was.

we didn't need a quarter back. we had the greatest in history. We just needed a CB, OL, NT and a marquis RB.

so it really depends on how you look at things.

The Chandler Harnish pick is the one that I'm the most baffled by. I can't believe someone actually predicted it and won Irsay's contest. I wonder if it was the guy who was preaching about Harnish a few months ago in the drafts forum. That guy must have wet himself when that last pick was called. lol

we didn't need a quarter back. we had the greatest in history. We just needed a CB, OL, NT and a marquis RB.

........I'm looking at the draft according to the current roster. Colts also used to have Johnny Unitus, but that doesn't matter now.

at first i wasnt to sold on getting two TE's but then i went back and saw who was on the roster before these two guys and i was like great picks. Fleener is the big body that is versitile like Aaron Hernandez and the other TE he can play multiple positions they said....something like he played alittle fullback at times sometimes even TB on goal line situations and then his obvious TE position. you get two guys with their kind of potential you have a scary TE duo. step aside new england, indy has matched you in the TE department if not better. but i thought the biggest steal of the draft was Chapman for NT. i was really thinking he was going to go in the 3rd round.

And I will freely admit that he's the one of that group I mentioned that I'm the least convinced was actually a reach. Considering the fact that they traded up to get him, maybe they knew of a few other teams who were getting ready to draft that they think valued him as much as they did. So yeah, he may not have been as much of a reach as it seemed to me like he was.

It was Oakland Raiders, I bet, with their comp. pick. They love the speedsters. Jacoby Ford, then DHB, and others too...

The Colts had one of the top-5 best drafts this year, not sure why half of you think they had a sub-par draft. This year's WR draft outside of the top two guys Blackmon and Floyd wasn't very good at all. They instead got two great TE's in Fleener and Allen, both of which are highly versatile in that they can play outside and create nightmare-type mismatches on defense. Since Brody Eldridge will most likely move to FB, this makes perfect sense. The only downside of both TE's is that their blocking isn't finesse, but I'd much rather have big, fast receiving TE's in today's game than block-first TE's. I also like the T.Y. Hilton pick as he's lightning-fast and will help give the Colts life in the return game and as a Victor Cruz-type slot WR. After that I liked all the picks except for LaVon Brazill. We got arguably a 2nd round-grade nose tackle in Josh Chapman, whom is a MONSTER, and can bench-press over 600 lbs, and got a pretty decent 3rd/4th round-grade RB in Vick Ballard in the 5th round, whom can seriously compete against Donald Brown.

All in all this was an awesome draft. I don't want to look too far ahead, but in 2013, the Colts can be the most active team in free agency (ala Tampa Bay this year) and there are going to be far better WR and CB prospects coming out that year too. With that said, I can't wait for the 2012 season!

im not saying manning wasnt the greatest but i have to disagree with you on the QB situation. do you stick with an older QB whos salary will prevent you from upgrading your team and who really hasnt proven that he can handle game situations the way he use to or do you go with a younger QB who can be just as great if not better then manning at about 68 million cheaper? i prefer the younger way. i seen it in the superbowl against the saints and the year they lost to the jets in the first round two seasons ago, the colts started their decline and it was time for a change. Manning wants to win another championship AND keep his big contract now he has the chance for both and he already got his big contract back, so now he has the chance to win in denver. its just my opinion

That shows what you know. Fleener is faster than all big receivers in the NFL except Moss and Megatron.

What are you talking about? Stephen Hill is a big receiver and he is officially an NFL player now, he was faster than Fleener at the combine and even if you compare Fleener's pro day numbers, and so were other big WRs like Tommy Streeter etc. who are also officially NFL players now.

Fleener as a TE is a great pick, matchup nightmare, great fit etc. but the above bolded statement is borderline Fleener worship. He is fast and has great leaping abilities, no doubt, but let us not exaggerate.

Fleener doesn't have the speed and the leaping ability of a big WR. It's not even close.

umm fleener ran a faster 40 then half the WR's at the combine. he ran it in the 4's. i think he has tons of speed. and at stanford he use to out run alot of DB's. and the guy is 6'6 i think he can out jump alot of DB's.

What are you talking about? Stephen Hill is a big receiver and he is officially an NFL player now, he was faster than Fleener at the combine and even if you compare Fleener's pro day numbers, and so were other big WRs like Tommy Streeter etc. who are also officially NFL players now.

Fleener as a TE is a great pick, matchup nightmare, great fit etc. but the above bolded statement is borderline Fleener worship.

I think he was trying to basicaly say Fleener has the speed and the vert.jump to out jump half the guys in the league. compared to the comment that someone else said in fleener doesnt have speed to out run the DB's. could be wrong though lol

I think he was trying to basicaly say Fleener has the speed and the vert.jump to out jump half the guys in the league. compared to the comment that someone else said in fleener doesnt have speed to out run the DB's. could be wrong though lol

I get that part, I agree with the fact that Fleener is a much faster receiving TE than Dallas Clark, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

But being faster in the 40 than Larry Fitzgerald may not exactly mean that he can be more physical and outleap folks better than Fitzgerald. Let us hold off on those kinds of statements, that is all I am saying :). His frame still needs to get stronger, IMO, by NFL standards. The potential is however there.

I have no problem with the way we drafted. We won't know how it'll work out til the season starts, but look at St. Louis. Sam Bradford has NOONE around him. Hes been awful for them. If we didn't get Luck some help, he would suffer just the same. Besides, most of our money in free agency this year was spent on O-Line and defense. We got Satele and Justice on the OL. On defense we got Redding, and Zbikowski. Plus, we were much better off defensively than we were offensively. I don't expect this year to be .500, but I do expect to see the team get more comfortable by the end of the year and be competitive a year from now and throughout Luck's career.

Unless you have access to complete college game film and have spoken with scouts who have watched the kids play, you are severely unqualified to declare what is a reach or not. Prognosticators who set the table for the masses are only slightly more aware than most of us. This concept of pointing out a reach pick is darn hilarious. If we moved up to pick a WR, it was because the kid was waaayyy down on the Colts board farther than the team expected him to go. Who gives a rats * where Profootballweekly, or Lindy's, or anyone else says. In Grigson I trust!