Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Steelers post game

GoColts8818

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good win against a GOOD team. Those timely turnovers on downs and the fumble in the first half were the BIG reasons for our cushion that we held on.

Great game plan by Gus Bradley but when push comes to shove, he can go back to his shell.

Too many weak hearted fans amongst Colts fans in the game day thread, blaming everyone and their mother the moment things don’t go their way and the other team starts making plays. You can call the right play and the other team can out execute you, it happens.

Not every game is going to be won by 2 scores, just look around the league week after week. The other guys are Pros on scholarship too (quoting Reggie Wayne :))

Too darned right. A W is a W in the nfl, whether it's by 3 points or by 30 points.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Although Steichen will never it admit it. I think this was a time in Anthony's career that Steichen believed he had to make a decision and bench him. From all reports, Richardson said he could go back  in. I think Steichen was saying to Richardson " u need to play smarter or we will be looking for another qb next year".  My assessment of Anthony so far is this. He makes the difficult plays look easy and the easy plays look hard.

the biggest issue I have with this is that Steichen put him directly back in the game in a situation for him to further aggravate what was very clearly an injury… 

IF that is the case, the Colts need to be looking for a new head coach too… 

Personally I think we should have won this game handily. Missed a few opportunities to score. AR moved the ball well and drove the ball down the field when in the game. That's what I was looking to see. And Flacco kept things moving the right way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Land had his full body weight on the QB. Texans game 1, AR had that happen and I’d agree with that should have been called 

Same thing with Chris Jones on Derek Carr a year or two ago and other cases too

Fields leg was taken out from under him by his o lineman.   Land had no chance not to fall on him

I think AR lost his starting job. With the injury and accuracy concerns, it makes no sense to put him back out here. A QB needs to do 3 things to be successful: Be accurate, protect the football, and protect himself. Richardson hasn’t done any of those things. The hip injury was on him for getting the first down and not sliding.

Best thing for him long term is for him to sit and learn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Although Steichen will never it admit it. I think this was a time in Anthony's career that Steichen believed he had to make a decision and bench him. From all reports, Richardson said he could go back  in. I think Steichen was saying to Richardson " u need to play smarter or we will be looking for another qb next year".  My assessment of Anthony so far is this. He makes the difficult plays look easy and the easy plays look hard.

Yeah.  That's not what he was telling him.   Good lord

• Like 2

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Fields leg was taken out from under him by his o lineman.   Land had no chance not to fall on him

I agree it shouldn’t have been called but that’s their likely reasoning, not the first time such inconsistency of interpretation has happened, IMO

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

the biggest issue I have with this is that Steichen put him directly back in the game in a situation for him to further aggravate what was very clearly an injury… 

IF that is the case, the Colts need to be looking for a new head coach too… 

Steichen explained why he did. So not going to be too hard on him there.

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I get that he had a decent game but this laying off receivers five or 6 yards absolute bull crap just wait till we play a good team. They’re going to carve us apart.

The defense really came to play on the running game. So many stuffs or negative plays. And then it was disgusting to see how Fields just kept running for yards.

But I have one more comment TJ Watt was completely neutralized today. He had two assisted tackles and that  all he did.

Our OL is awesome.  No denying that.  Tanner looks like he could be the future center.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Uh what? This is absolute nonsense man. AR was BALLING and you thought Steichen decided to bench him? This is far out even for you.

I'm not saying AR is definitely going to be our guy, but we definitely don't yet whether or not he is and he was playing good football up until the injury.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was not a fan of lining up Richardson with a run call immediately after he re-entered the game with a lower-body injury. Call a handoff, or a pass play, or god forbid a * screen play. (Does our playbook even feature any of those? After 4 weeks I have serious doubts.) But to let him go in there and run on the first play back was silly. Give him a play or two to move at game speed and get his feet back under him. Take a little more proactive approach to protecting our QB, especially when he’s dealing with something that just happened moments before. 

It’s always nice to win, and especially to beat the Steelers, but that doesn’t mean this one didn’t have its warts. 

Bradley was blitzing significantly more than usual for a large portion of the day, it seemed. Then, as soon as I pointed that out, it stopped immediately. Then they did it again in Fields scramble to make it a 3 point game and Latu rushed to the inside on the opposite side of the blitz and opened the door for the walk-in. 😵‍💫

Steichen continues to be underwhelming for me. This does not feel like the same coach we had last season. It’s way closer to frank than the breath of fresh air we had last season. Who would it kill for us to run some stretch plays every now and then? We have the top rated o-line and the best RB in the league, every run does not have to be up the middle. 

Nice to see Pittman and Downs have good games.

I do believe Pierce got away with OPI on the deep shot to him in the second half. That looked like it would have probably been a TD with Richardson, but Flacco’s deep balls looked flaccid in this one, and Pierce had to mug the defender to keep him from coming up with that one. 

I feel like the o-line held up their end of the bargain today. I don’t know how many sacks the Steelers ended up with, but Flacco, who moves like a human body submerged in water, helped bolster that number with his lumbering at-best movement speed. 

Did not like the look of the Taylor injury. Hopefully he just needs a couple days off and will be good to go next week. 

Defensive line did a lot of good work today, but it opened some doors for Fields to sneak through. 

The Matt Gay issue continues to be a problem. I was all for paying the guy when we brought him in, but we haven’t been getting what we’ve been paying for for a while now, and that doesn’t work. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think AR lost his starting job. With the injury and accuracy concerns, it makes no sense to put him back out here. A QB needs to do 3 things to be successful: Be accurate, protect the football, and protect himself. Richardson hasn’t done any of those things. The hip injury was on him for getting the first down and not sliding.

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

• Like 2

Its frustrating with Richardson because he started so well and Shane was calling a great game until that point. He has a few effective QB runs sprinkled in.

I thought in that Q1 we saw the type of offense we all wanted to see with a Richardson/Taylor backfield, and the nation's #1 ranked defense had no answers. Hopefully he is OK and we can build off this win.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steelers didn’t know how to handle Taylor and AR. AR was going to have a huge day. Just sad he didn’t finish.

Both JT was on pace for another 100+ day until Flacco had to come in and play.

• Like 1

GOOD

We got the win:  A win is a win.  We beat a good team.  It was ugly, we almost gave it away, but when the clock hit 00:00 we were ahead.

Joe Flacco:  the savvy bet coming in and bringing us home.  2 TDs, smart throws, no mistakes.  

Nick Cross:  eating another plate crow for the man.  He was in on plays, forced the fumble.  We got beat deep but it was across the middle and I attribute that more to the scheme.  

EJ Speed:  he looked totally different out there.  Laying down the hammer, good anticipation.  

MPJ and JD:  Good to see MPJ out there being an absolute DOG.  JD back and was eating up space.  Both were absolutely cooking.  

Dayo:  1.5 sacks on the day and some pressures. 

MEH

Tight Ends:  good to see the on throw to them was for a touchdown but we have to get our tight ends more involved.  It would open this offense up even more.

Run Defense:  we didn’t get destroyed, but held ground.  Not good, not bad.  Kind of happy with this result given we were missing key defensive players.

BAD

Gus Bradley/Pass Defense:  how does this guy still have a job.  Defense looked good and different when we actually applied pressure.  We went prevent and started getting gashed.  

Shane:  Idk where this regression came from.  The first drive was amazing and how it should be going forward.  Before AR went out, we were cooking and fizzled out once he left the game.  Even with Joe we had periods of too much throwing.  And then the timeout at the end of the first half.  Don’t know what’s going on because last year it wasn’t like this.  And the decision to give up and kick the field goal instead of trying to get the first on 3rd and 3 almost cost us.  A touchdown there would’ve did it.  And if not, would’ve ate more clock.

AR:  Its bad he didn’t finish the game, but I’m not sure how much of that has to do with the how hurt he was or the team was being extra cautious.  It seemed like it’s he just got hurt but could still Play because he looked fine.  Can’t speak on this more until we get official word but the fact he couldn’t finish the game isn’t a good look.

buuuuuuttt with all of this said, we’re 2-2!  Hoping we get healthy and keep the momentum we had at the beginning of this game going.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What part of Flacco's game gives you confidence in saying that? He's just another statue QB

• Thanks 1

Just now, CR91 said:

What part of Flacco's game gives you confidence in saying that? He's just another statue QB

He is much better than that description.    He was money on third down today.   AR isn't is jeopardy of losing his job though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Okay yeah I prob know as much as any average fan. I don’t  claim to be an expert. Why the personal attack?

Just tell me, based on the first two drives, what didn't you like about the RPO with AR? You seem to think 40 year old QBs are the future of the NFL....Ill roll the dice the 22 year old ultra talented guy.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Coming off the bench on a new team?  I'm not for starting him, but Flacco was pretty damn good.  I'm surprised no one is really talking about it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shane had a good feel of the game not to send him back out. But we only scored ten points with Flacco. We need him back.

agree we need richardson back, but flacco was solid .   colts only had 7 points when he came in the game and he led the offense to 20 points

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shane had a good feel of the game not to send him back out. But we only scored ten points with Flacco. We need him back.

We scored more than 10 points with Flacco…Flacco had 2 TD’s

• Like 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

AR:  Its bad he didn’t finish the game, but I’m not sure how much of that has to do with the how hurt he was or the team was being extra cautious.  It seemed like it’s he just got hurt but could still Play because he looked fine.  Can’t speak on this more until we get official word but the fact he couldn’t finish the game isn’t a good look.

When he came back on the field after halftime, he had a noticeable limp. I don't think he would have been able to finish even if they had tried. JMO. 

He was very engaged over there for the rest of the game. Talking to Steichen, going over pictures with Flacco, he came over and talked to Gay after the FG miss... It sucks he got hurt, he was having a good game. But it seemed like he handled it well. Hopefully the week goes well for him, because I don't think the offense will work with Flacco. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Steelers had what three offensive TDs coming into the game and were the worst red zone offense in the league and they made the Colts defense look like Swiss cheese late including scoring three redzone TDs.

And...who won?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

We scored more than 10 points with Flacco…Flacco had 2 TD’s

He definitely threw that first TD, but he came in the game when the offense had already moved into scoring range. 

• Like 1