Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State

MTC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether this is a pass-happy league or not I don't know how people can justify just "trusting" Brown and Carter (And believe me, I like these guys). Do people not realize how import running the ball is? Some teams get by with winning plenty of games with poor rushing (i.e. The Giants, but they barely made the playoffs and ran much better then on.), However, for most of the league it's a fundamental must if you want to have an efficient offense. So before Ballard we have two guys who neither are an every-down back, so they have to work as a tandem. What happens if one gets injured or just under-performs? People seem to not want to put Ballard in with the talks of potential steals in this draft, but I think he definitely can be. There isn't too much bad to say about him. He's not perfect, but he has that spark and athleticism that really screams that he can really impact the NFL in a positive way. He may not win a starting position this year, but I see him making the roster.

Some of the responses here are absolutely mind-numbing. Several things here.

* Understand Grigson and the BPA theory- Last week Grigson was asked his theory about the draft and he said that he is always in favor of drafting talent instead of reaching for a player at a need position. Always go with talent over "just a guy." Clearly Ballard was viewed a better player than anyone else on their board. This is a common fan thing who really have no clue. They bash the result, in this case the draft pick, without fully grasping the process. And that is a tick-poor way to judge. In fact Grigson was quoted in the paper today about them staying disciplined, which I took to mean exactly what I said. When the guy they targeted was no longer there, they stayed with their board and picked the guy the board told them to take.

* Brown & Carter - Is anyone really sold on either of them as the answer? Carter had fumbling issues last year and it is kind to call Brown inconsistent. The point is RB's may not be a position of need like others, but a very reasonable point can be made that it is a need.

* I think it may be just a touch too soon to judge whether or not this guy is a wasted pick. May want to at least give him the mini-camp next week to make that determination.

* Lastly, has anyone ever heard of drafting guys a year or two before they are expected to play? Even Brown or Carter are decent this year, but is Brown the kind of guy you bring back after his deal is up, even if he makes it that far.

I like what you are saying and I do think RB was a need position. We only had 3 on the roster! That is crazy. Despite what everyone thinks about Evans he is basically a practice squad guy. Gets beat up in practice so our backs don't have to. So basically we have two RBs. That is crazy. I mean we had 3 last year and we lost Addai. Remember a couple years back we lost like all our RBs and had guys from Costco running for us. It is very common for a team to have multiple injuries at that position. It is incredibly violent and I guarantee we are going to run the ball more so we needed another quality starting back. I think he easily upgrades over Carter by a lot. I think he will complement Brown a lot. We needed this depth. Heck we might even keep another UDFA at RB or sign a FA for depth. Get ready for it because I see a lot of running the ball in our future out of those 2 TE sets. It will be a huge saftey valve for Luck to check out of plays into a run if he is unsure of where the blitz is coming from.

I think Ballard will play right away. I agree though he won't probably take over the primary duties from Brown right away. Brown has two years left and this is certainly assurance that we will have a quality back in the fold that knows the system if we have to draft one then. Brown is a HUGE question mark even his biggest fans have to agree. He is just as likely to strike out this year then take the next step. We needed this pick for this year and the future. Great value pick.