Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State

MTC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry i don't usually do this but this is annoying me its 'Should have or Should've if you wanted to contract' not should of - 'of' means about not prediction of opinion.

Really??? All the football going on today and this is how you choose to contribute .... :rolleyes:

this pick baffles me a lot. We have Brown and Carter, not exactly the best backfield but I thought it was adequate enough and we still needed a DB or go more defensive today. I don't understand this pick, I doubt this guy will be on the team 3 years from now.

Don't forget Darren Evans, who is basically a clone of this guy. This pick makes ZERO sense. RB is the most overrated, over-glorified, position in all of football.

Don't forget Darren Evans, who is basically a clone of this guy. This pick makes ZERO sense. RB is the most overrated, over-glorified, position in all of football.

Oh, well I just didn't see Darren Evans getting any reps at all. I agree with the fact that this pick doesn't make a whole bunch of sense. It is a depth choice which could have been solved by getting an undrafted FA, while there were CBs and other defensive players on the board.

Every postion is important. He was drafted at the end of the 5th round so that is hardly too high for a running back. I'm not sure about this pick myselfe, but the more I look into it the more think it might be a good one.

Every postion is important. He was drafted at the end of the 5th round so that is hardly too high for a running back. I'm not sure about this pick myselfe, but the more I look into it the more think it might be a good one.

An effective running game is accomplished by having a good O-line.

Really??? All the football going on today and this is how you choose to contribute .... :rolleyes:

Seems like a worthwhile contribution to me. Is it too much to expect elementary school language skills? "Should of been" is annoying to me, too. I get tired of seeing it over and over again, along with "loose" and a dozen others. I say if someone can't spell something basic, do a quick Google search.

Besides, what's the great value in the repeated "Horrible pick!" posts from people who really have no idea?

Seems like a worthwhile contribution to me. Is it too much to expect elementary school language skills? "Should of been" is annoying to me, too. I get tired of seeing it over and over again, along with "loose" and a dozen others. I say if someone can't spell something basic, do a quick Google search.

Besides, what's the great value in the repeated "Horrible pick!" posts from people who really have no idea?

This is an internet forum not a college thesis. As long as its not illegible and you understand the point someone is making, we do not need grammar police.

Some of the people that post here are children, i think we all forget that. Including myself

Guys this guy is your blocking, goal line, push the pile Fullback who catches the ball adequately. Look at his size. I'm telling you he's the Fullback

HA! Whatever! Watch his highlights. He is NOT a fullback. This kid is a between the tackles runner with some breakaway ability. He runs tough and makes yards after contact. He will be the new short yardage back...as long as he doesn't fumble. Apparently, he has a fumbling problem.

I am a Miss State alum who keeps up with the Bulldogs. You don't even know anything about this guy and you say he's a bad pick. He is already better than carter and brown. He's got great vision and a knack for the ball and he sure as heck has faced tougher competition than UConn or Syracuse ever did. He has had to run against last year's national champion Auburn. This year's champ Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas. All of them are top 10 teams and he ran well against them. Brown has broken exactly 2 runs in his career and Vick will top that in the 1st half of the season easily.

I am a Miss State alum who keeps up with the Bulldogs. You don't even know anything about this guy and you say he's a bad pick. He is already better than carter and brown. He's got great vision and a knack for the ball and he sure as heck has faced tougher competition than UConn or Syracuse ever did. He has had to run against last year's national champion Auburn. This year's champ Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas. All of them are top 10 teams and he ran well against them. Brown has broken exactly 2 runs in his career and Vick will top that in the 1st half of the season easily.

I got to admit at first I was like wth but then I watched some tape and realized we may have a starter here

i agree, but relax...it was a 5th round pick

Don't know anything about him so I'll wait and see before I judge. Has good size, like that.

thing is the people ripping the pick prolly don't know a thing about him. "omg, ballard wasn't in the draftek mock draft". the guy ran for almost 6 yards per carry in the sec..give him a chance

It was essentially the first pick of the 6th round. (last of the 5th). 4 more running backs came off the board before Indy chose again at the end of the 6th round. Why wouldn't he have been taken before that by one of those 4 teams mentioned? Let alone make it into the 7th round? If it is of appropriate value, and if the guy you want and feel fits the team/scheme is there, you go get him. Not gamble and take someone else and then watch a competitor take your guy off the board right in front of you. I feel the FO, coaches. and scouts have scrutinized over all of the players exhaustively, and know which ones fit, skill wise, work ethic wise, and attitude (coachable) wise. I'll wait until things play out before I call any of our choices a great or bust pick.

First off...we needed another RB. We probably couldn't afford one that would play much in FA. We needed to get one in the draft if we were going to upgrade this position. We had only 3 backs on the team. 1 bascially a practice squad guy despite how great you think he is. The second runs hard but definately doesn't have anything special as far as becoming a feature back. The starter we do have has shown inconsistancies despite not getting enough chances. There has been a reason he has been in the dog house...so we don't know if he can be a 1000 yard rusher this team will need. We definately know he struggles between the tackles. We loved the stretch play and valued that speed but now we will be more a straight ahead running team. So we needed a back.

Now the second point is while I know most Colts fans watch BIG TEN football I get SEC football down here. This kid is really really good. Like others have said he has played against the two best defenses by FAR in the nation and ran well against them. Played in the best conference..the fastest conference and played very well. He has a good body, runs well between the tackles and while he doesn't have Lamichael James break away speed he has that burst to get to the second level and enough waggle to make people miss. Look at his numbers he is productive and has a nose for the endzone! How frustrating is it that we can't get in with 1st and goal situations. I'm not saying he is a pro bowler but this kid will contribute this year....an upgrade over Carter and if Brown doesn't play up to where he needs will end up being our starter. For a team that will run 25 times a game he may likely end up splitting carries from Brown and could take over the starting role.

He may not have been a household name in Big Ten country but in SEC country when you played Mississipi State you were very well aware who Vick was and the need to shut down that running game. He had a huge 2010 year and teams game planed more I think to shut him down in 2011. That is why I think he fell off.

Some of the responses here are absolutely mind-numbing. Several things here.

* Understand Grigson and the BPA theory- Last week Grigson was asked his theory about the draft and he said that he is always in favor of drafting talent instead of reaching for a player at a need position. Always go with talent over "just a guy." Clearly Ballard was viewed a better player than anyone else on their board. This is a common fan thing who really have no clue. They bash the result, in this case the draft pick, without fully grasping the process. And that is a tick-poor way to judge. In fact Grigson was quoted in the paper today about them staying disciplined, which I took to mean exactly what I said. When the guy they targeted was no longer there, they stayed with their board and picked the guy the board told them to take.

* Brown & Carter - Is anyone really sold on either of them as the answer? Carter had fumbling issues last year and it is kind to call Brown inconsistent. The point is RB's may not be a position of need like others, but a very reasonable point can be made that it is a need.

* I think it may be just a touch too soon to judge whether or not this guy is a wasted pick. May want to at least give him the mini-camp next week to make that determination.

* Lastly, has anyone ever heard of drafting guys a year or two before they are expected to play? Even Brown or Carter are decent this year, but is Brown the kind of guy you bring back after his deal is up, even if he makes it that far.

I agree with you except that Brown has broken more than 2 runs in his career. Brown is a decent change of pace back, not a pounder. Ballard may very well get as many carries as he and Carter by the middle of the season.

This pick intrigues me the most.............all publications says he is instinctive, runs well inside, catches well and pass blocks well......just doesn't have long speed.........so kind of like an Edge (post injury) perhaps?

Scored 29 tds in two years with 5 ypc versus SEC defenses.............that is productive.

Additionally, Mayock (I think) said after he was drafted that he may be the starter................could be why he was drafted, it was a back that Grigson/Pagano/Arians liked better than the current trio of Brown/Carter/Evans?

Just a thought?

High praise from Mike Lombardi:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828841a1/article/saints-raiders-others-find-good-value-with-late-draft-picks?module=HP11_cp

9. Vick Ballard, RB, Indianapolis (170th). Ballard is a productive back with burst acceleration and the ability to play on all three downs. The ex-Mississippi State star might not be the fastest back on the Colts' roster, but he will be the best very soon.