Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State

MTC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually really like this pick. It gives us a good backup to Carter + Brown with the chance of getting into the rotation. He's a strong kid with a lot of upside. I would have liked Edwin Baker better, but this is a good 2nd choice.

I don't really have an opinion either way but hey that seems to be the norm for most fifth round and later round picks. I mean they aren't gong to super excit you unless you are a super fan of the kid or wanted them to take someone else.

With that said he sounds like Carter part 2. They just said on ESPN he's great in short yardage spots but the draw back to him is that he fumbles alot. My first thought was don't we already have one of those lol.

We'll see I take this as a sign the Colts want to get back to power running and hitting you up the gut.

Guys this guy is your blocking, goal line, push the pile Fullback who catches the ball adequately. Look at his size. I'm telling you he's the Fullback

Doubtful, the FB is there to pave the road like a fast guard, and maybe be the safety valve. This kid is and always has been a tailback. He'll compete with Evans for the #3, and may even give Carter competition.

I actually really like this pick. It gives us a good backup to Carter + Brown with the chance of getting into the rotation. He's a strong kid with a lot of upside. I would have liked Edwin Baker better, but this is a good 2nd choice.

Vick Ballard is a good rb. I am originally from Mississippi and follow the state college football teams very closely. Ballard is a good inside/outside runner who plays faster than his 40 time would indicate. Don't let a awkward moment at the combine define the guy. I think the doubters will be pleasantly surprised at this guy's talent.

I don't really have an opinion either way but hey that seems to be the norm for most fifth round and later round picks. I mean they aren't gong to super excit you unless you are a super fan of the kid or wanted them to take someone else.

With that said he sounds like Carter part 2. They just said on ESPN he's great in short yardage spots but the draw back to him is that he fumbles alot. My first thought was don't we already have one of those lol.

We'll see I take this as a sign the Colts want to get back to power running and hitting you up the gut.

He's more "brash" than Carter... and could be used in short yardage situations. He doesn't fumble that much either.

I can not believe this guy would not have been available late 7th or UDFA

Yeah, that's my problem too. No doubt he's a decent back but his seems like a reach.

I did like this from his scouting report:

"Should be a better NFL runner than he was in college, is more of a between the tackles type back who was asked to run outside a lot in college due to Mississippi State running an option-style offense"

Yeah, that's my problem too. No doubt he's a decent back but his seems like a reach.

I did like this from his scouting report:

"Should be a better NFL runner than he was in college, is more of a between the tackles type back who was asked to run outside a lot in college due to Mississippi State running an option-style offense"

Yeah, I'm not so much against the player picked but where he was picked. I kind of felt the same way about the T.Y. Hilton pick. I do like what I just heard Kiper say which was Ballard averaged 6.2 yards per carry. That's pretty impressive playing in the SEC. Still though, I think Billy Wynn would have been much better value. I hope our last 4 picks are all defense. I would prefer another NT, a 3-4 DE, ILB (would love to get Jerry Franklin from Arkansas) and CB.

I like the pick. I joked last night that we would select a running back next after we took TY Hilton and here you go.(2 picks later) I still don't trust Donald Brown as far as I can throw him and Carter is unproven. We needed to bring another running back IMO and there must be something Grigson sees in this kid. All Grigson does is scout so I will trust him on this one. Obviously the Colts FO isn't totally sure about Brown and Carter as well.

When we get to a certain point in the draft I don't know who anyone is.

So I don't know who he is.

I will look forward to seeing who he is later lol.

if you watched the combine, hes the one that tripped during his 40 yard dash

When we get to a certain point in the draft I don't know who anyone is.

So I don't know who he is.

I will look forward to seeing who he is later lol.

lol...I was just about to chime in to declare my utter ignorance once we get past the 4th round. I wouldn't know if these guys are great or horrible. I'm just looking at position. RB was a surprise, but others here may know what quality he is. .....and of course we have some here that pretend to know he sucks when in reality they wouldn't recognize this kid if he was starring them in the eye.

This kid has only been very productive and is a better between the tackle runner that Brown is not. I look for short yardage and goal line. I really like how we got solid SEC quality players late in the draft. Guys that had questions on but look..they were productive in College's most competitive league. No way he scores that many TD's and avgs 6.1 yards per carry in the SEC West without being a solid back. Not flashy but an adequate partner for Brown.

should of drafted lamar miller earlier if we were going for a rb, i don't think we are even going to take db in this draft. the first pick we made i dont like

I'm sorry i don't usually do this but this is annoying me its 'Should have or Should've if you wanted to contract' not should of - 'of' means about not prediction of opinion.

So he thinks this guy is a starter, BPA, doubt it. There had to be a better option for a lineman, CB, anything but RB. If they need a blocker, pick someone this summer before camp. They are now left with basically (4) 7 round picks. CB was deep for this draft and they could have used 2 and to this point have 0. Changing to a new defense and they only have a defensive player, but seems like a good one. I guess they will go shopping on the UDFA store to find a CB.

There is no downside to this pick...

1. He shows he is worthwhile, pushes our current RB corps, and probably puts Darren Evans on the Practice Squad.

2. He shows marginal usefulness and gets a practice squad position.

3. He is crap, we cut him, and we save some cap money that we need.

Not expected, but not as awful as some might think.

He's more "brash" than Carter... and could be used in short yardage situations. He doesn't fumble that much either.

I am just telling you what they said on ESPN, they went out of the way to bring up his fumbles and said it was too high and it will have to come down if he's going to make it in the NFL as a fifth round pick. If you think you know more about him than the people ESPN so be it.

Also Carter was drafted to be used in short yardage situations that's what everyone said about him last year and said his role expanded beyond that early last year because of how well he had been playing till Carter started to have fumble issues himself.

So yes this guy does seem a lot like Carter. Nothing wrong with that.

There is no downside to this pick...

1. He shows he is worthwhile, pushes our current RB corps, and probably puts Darren Evans on the Practice Squad.

2. He shows marginal usefulness and gets a practice squad position.

3. He is crap, we cut him, and we save some cap money that we need.

Not expected, but not as awful as some might think.

Late 5th rd. picks make next to nothing and they passed on better talent IMO so yes, there is a down side.

It all goes down to our biggest need coming to this draft: Our QB. He's a good blocker, and he'll protect Luck. We've draftet TE twice, WR, upgraded the O-line in FA. It all goes down to helping Luck - either in targets or protection. And THAT'S the key.

Don't forget our biggest need wasn't upgrading the D, it was the QB. People tend to forget, because we knew it would be Andrew Luck. We better give him an army around him to help him become great. It's not a one-man show, especially not to start with. Look at what was done with Peyton. Guide him the way, don't through him into chaos as with Carr.