Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Long On The Outs With Finns?

polk_high_allstar

i hate when a player gets drafted, people think that its the team replacement.

I remember when the Patriots selected a quarterback in the early rounds of the draft a couple of years back, everyone was schocked like if he was going to take over...really dumb..

• 4 weeks later...

They would never deal Jake Long. There is just speculation because one dumb writer in Florida wrote something about it. It will never happen.

Completely agree with Andy. Some jack rabbit makes a story about nothing, so let the speculation swirl. Is it possible, I suppose. But the reality is, if you have a Jake Long on your team, you'd be stupid to let him go.

The funny thing is, they seem to talk about him as though he isn't a premiere talent at his position. As though he lacks athleticism and won't fit philbin's scheme. The reality is, the guy fits any scheme. He was a 1st overall pick for a reason.

It's possible they won't re-sign him. It's possible they franchise him next year. It's very unlikely they move him if they don't get serious compensation for doing so.

And, as for his contract being a problem, I don't see it. He's been getting roughly 11m a season. Why is this season looked upon any differently?

Not to troll, but remember when it was just a rumor that our greatest player was going to be cut? Rumors usually have some sort of base of truth.

That was a rumour with actual substance to it. The problem here is there is no substance.

1 - The contract - Long has pretty much always raked in 11m per season. This year is no different.

2 - Athleticism - A LT does NOT get drafted #1 overall unless he can do it all. Jake Long can.

The 2 points made were meaningless conjecture. There is no actual substance.

However, the our greatest player was coming off of 4 neck surgeries, and we held the top overall pick with the "best QB since Elway" sitting at the top of the draft. Two pieces of meaningful substance that would lead one to believe that a cut of Peyton was not only likely, but quite probable. Most fans wanted him to stick around, including the front office, but it just didn't make sense considering all of the other factors.

And with Jake Long, none of the "substance" is actual substance, it's just a media guy throwing out some spin to get readers talking.

it wont happen, why trade your pro bowl left tackle when you will likely have a rookie starting at quarterback also even if Long was traded the Dolphins wouldnt do it for Freeney unless Freeney somehow bumped his head real hard and decided out of the blue to renegotiate his contract.....which he wont do

it wont happen, why trade your pro bowl left tackle when you will likely have a rookie starting at quarterback also even if Long was traded the Dolphins wouldnt do it for Freeney unless Freeney somehow bumped his head real hard and decided out of the blue to renegotiate his contract.....which he wont do

Dolphins don't seem to have the intention to start Tannehill yet, so no rookie starter at QB.

Also, if Freeney was to be traded to a team running the 4-3 who was interested in using him as a DE, I could definitely see him re-upping. As the Dolphins are now going to run a 4-3, it would be possible, but not likely. No team would be willing to trade their top 2 talent at LT who is 27 for a 32 y/o DE on the decline. That five year difference is huge, especially when looking at the prospect of a early 20s QB taking over in a year or two.

Dolphins don't seem to have the intention to start Tannehill yet, so no rookie starter at QB.

Also, if Freeney was to be traded to a team running the 4-3 who was interested in using him as a DE, I could definitely see him re-upping. As the Dolphins are now going to run a 4-3, it would be possible, but not likely. No team would be willing to trade their top 2 talent at LT who is 27 for a 32 y/o DE on the decline. That five year difference is huge, especially when looking at the prospect of a early 20s QB taking over in a year or two.

they drafted Tannehill in the first round. I bet he starts, way over drafting him in my opinion though

they drafted Tannehill in the first round. I bet he starts, way over drafting him in my opinion though

Betting doesn't make it so. All reports indicate they have no intentions of throwing him into the fire early.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82947c23/article/ota-notes-ryan-tannehill-third-in-line-for-fins?module=HP11_hot_topics

They may start him further into the season, but it doesn't sound as though he is a legit threat to start early in the year.

Betting doesn't make it so. All reports indicate they have no intentions of throwing him into the fire early.

http://www.nfl.com/n...HP11_hot_topics

They may start him further into the season, but it doesn't sound as though he is a legit threat to start early in the year.

ah I didnt see that report, they will probably be drafting quarterback early again next year regardless

ah I didnt see that report, they will probably be drafting quarterback early again next year regardless

That's also highly improbable, unless they are sitting on #1 overall (Barkley presumably) and have no confidence whatsoever in Tannehill being able to develop. If that ends up being the case, a lot of people in Miami will have lost their jobs. Problem is, it's too early for that with them just hiring a new head coach. Generally the new guy gets a couple seasons to build the roster, so if they wind up at #1 overall, they very well may trade the pick to the highest bidder (ala St. Louis) to build the rest of the roster.

In any case, Tannehill is a known developmental project with high upside. They'd be foolish to move on from him without giving him any time whatsoever to develop, so drafting a QB early is highly unlikely.

As high as Miami took QB Tannehill in the draft, the most he will sit is about 8-9 games IMO.

Unless Matt Moore comes out of the regular season gates simply on fire, Tannehill, a developmental project or not, will take over the reins late in the year. The days of sitting on the bench for a few seasons is now dead. Losing franchises must win NOW plain & simple. Grooming a rookie is not a luxury Miami has period.

Never would be giving up their Best player.And who has 12 plus mill to sign him?

Never would be giving up their Best player.And who has 12 plus mill to sign him?

Miami is not getting rid of Long...

but interestingly enough... INDY should have the cheez next season. Freeney's silly contract will be done.

As high as Miami took QB Tannehill in the draft, the most he will sit is about 8-9 games IMO.

Unless Matt Moore comes out of the regular season gates simply on fire, Tannehill, a developmental project or not, will take over the reins late in the year. The days of sitting on the bench for a few seasons is now dead. Losing franchises must win NOW plain & simple. Grooming a rookie is not a luxury Miami has period.

You don't win by throwing an undeveloped QB out to the wolves in the PROFESSIONAL game. Tannehill has long been considered a developmental QB. All analysis of him has stated he'll need time to develop. Sure, Miami could David Carr him, but the reality is, the kid still needs more time. Physical ability is nothing in the NFL if you don't know how to use it.

In any case, Miami didn't draft RG3 or Luck, who have largely developed their craft. They drafted Tannehill, a guy who was playing receiver up until a year or two ago. Sitting a few seasons is unlikely, but Tannehill is not likely to help them win now (as you put it). If Miami has any delusion of winning now, they deserve whatever they get. But throwing Tannehill out before he's ready will likely only stunt his growth and shake his confidence.