Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well when free agency 2025 rolls around then we can have that discussion. Lets say for example a guy like Hunter, who the Colts wanted this , was a free agent next year.   Would you rather have  Kwitty at 13 million in his 5th year or had the 13 mill plus another few million to sign say a rush end like Hunter in 2025? To me its not about picking up the fifth becaue you have the money. Its can we use that money in the future to use towards a more impactful player

There's a list of potential 2025 fee agents ...look at it and let us know 

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Good question was posed to you...why not answer?

crickets GIF

that's just what he does

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well when free agency 2025 rolls around then we can have that discussion. Lets say for example a guy like Hunter, who the Colts wanted this , was a free agent next year.   Would you rather have  Kwitty at 13 million in his 5th year or had the 13 mill plus another few million to sign say a rush end like Hunter in 2025? To me its not about picking up the fifth becaue you have the money. Its can we use that money in the future to use towards a more impactful player

Hunter had the opportunity to come here this year for more money than Houston offered.  He still chose Houston because that's where he's from.  Maybe try again?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Who are other edge setting DEs that make less than 13 and get 8 sacks

I took his comment as applying the $13M to a more expensive/better player, not necessarily an even money replacement.  As a theory, not with a specific player in mind.

I think Charlie Partridge will be an X Factor for the Colts. I am anxious to see what he can do with Kwity and the rest of the D-line. I would think that Partridge evaluated Paye and weighed in on his potential and fit with what Partridge is looking to do.

Partridge is known to be able to make the complicates simple. and that should benefit the young players especially. Partridge said  in a recent interview that  he thinks he can help Stewart increase his sack total. He also said he was blown away by Ballard's analysis of Raekwon Davis fit in the Colts defense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You can talk highly of a player and not give him the 5th year.  They may like him in his current role, but I feel he is replaceable. If Paye went down with an injury for the whole year do you think his loss would impact the team? I really don't because of what he brings as an edge rusher, You can keep that 13 million and decide to resign him next year or go after someone else in free agency. To me, it is not a huge gamble in just letting it play out. I don't expect him to all of a sudden be that guy. I also feel that they covet Dayo more than Paye.  

Well... if the Colts felt the same as you , they not only should they have declined the 5th year but maybe should have traded him for a 4th or 5th rounder ?  Why makes you feel that they "covet Dayo more than Paye ? " Seems if true , they would've declined the 5th year option and extended Dayo. 

Sets the edge, stops the run. I’m glad we picked up the option. Paye, Latu, Buck, Stewart and a strong rotation mixed in. They gotta play the game still of course but this is probably the best line we’ve had in a few years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Well... if the Colts felt the same as you , they not only should they have declined the 5th year but maybe should have traded him for a 4th or 5th rounder ?  Why makes you feel that they "covet Dayo more than Paye ? " Seems if true , they would've declined the 5th year option and extended Dayo. 

He also said Nabors would be drafted before MHJ because MHJ doesn't have elite speed.   

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I think Charlie Partridge will be an X Factor for the Colts. I am anxious to see what he can do with Kwity and the rest of the D-line. I would think that Partridge evaluated Paye and weighed in on his potential and fit with what Partridge is looking to do.

Partridge is known to be able to make the complicates simple. and that should benefit the young players especially. Partridge said  in a recent interview that  he thinks he can help Stewart increase his sack total. He also said he was blown away by Ballard's analysis of Raekwon Davis fit in the Colts defense.

Just to clean up my previous post:

Partridge is known to be able to make the complicated - simple. and that should benefit the young players especially. Partridge said in a recent interview that he thinks he can help Stewart increase his sack total. He also said he was blown away by Ballard's analysis of Raekwon Davis fit in the Colts defense.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

The Colts may or may not pick up the 5th year.  I think they covet Dayo  because he can rush from he end and DT position.  Plus,  I think Dayo is steadily showing improvement where I think Paye has plateaued. The fact that they are waiting this long tells you are they are really thinking long and hard about it. If he was playing the LDE and was getting double digit sacks, it would have been picked up by now. If they do pick up his option, it is still not a ringing endorsement.  They would probably think that 13 million is not that much and maybe looking at next years crop of free agents and it maybe lackluster. I just wouldn't do it but I am not the GM

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Colts may or may not pick up the 5th year.  I think they covet Dayo  because he can rush from he end and DT position.  Plus,  I think Dayo is steadily showing improvement where I think Paye has plateaued. The fact that they are waiting this long tells you are they are really thinking long and hard about it. If he was playing the LDE and was getting double digit sacks, it would have been picked up by now. If they do pick up his option, it is still not a ringing endorsement.  They would probably think that 13 million is not that much and maybe looking at next years crop of free agents and it maybe lackluster. I just wouldn't do it but I am not the GM

Still waiting for answer to previous question .Patiently waiting.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Kwitty has been better than dayo by most every metric 

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It appears that you are not aware that the Colts did elect to pick up the 5th year option on Paye ?

53 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He also said Nabors would be drafted before MHJ because MHJ doesn't have elite speed.   

It seems he does not know that the Colts already picked up Paye's 5th year. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If you believe PFF,  Paye has not peaked.  Gotten better every year.   

And if you believe Ballard, Paye hasn’t peaked.   He spoke glowingly of Paye BEFORE he officially picked up the option. 

Otherwise the view on Paye is only your opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you believe PFF,  Paye has not peaked.  Gotten better every year.   

And if you believe Ballard, Paye hasn’t peaked.   He spoke glowingly of Paye BEFORE he officially picked up the option. 

Otherwise the view on Paye is only your opinion.  

That’s a matter of perspective. His passrush grades have gone down, his tackling grades have gone down (slightly). His run stopping grades have gone up. 

People will point to sacks, but his overall pressures have fallen with 28% (39 to 28). 28 total pressures on 410 passrush snaps is nearly NT levels of bad. 

He’s not a pass rusher, but an edge setter and we needed a passrusher when Paye was drafter. In that regard he’s been a failure (so far). Hope he ups his pass rush game, but he needs to be a lot better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dw49 said:

It appears that you are not aware that the Colts did elect to pick up the 5th year option on Paye ?

I wouldn't have but it's not a really big deal when u have a rookie qb. I would have kept the money

51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldn't have but it's not a really big deal when u have a rookie qb. I would have kept the money

It doesn't "excite" me but I don't think it's a bad signing. You have to consider how teams overpay for the good free agents. Paye probably worth at least 11 mill for his 5th year. Probably the alternative is to over pay in a larger manner next March. Let's face it , for what ever reason or reasons , Ballard does not excel in bringing high level players to Indy in the FA period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That’s a matter of perspective. His passrush grades have gone down, his tackling grades have gone down (slightly). His run stopping grades have gone up. 

People will point to sacks, but his overall pressures have fallen with 28% (39 to 28). 28 total pressures on 410 passrush snaps is nearly NT levels of bad. 

He’s not a pass rusher, but an edge setter and we needed a passrusher when Paye was drafter. In that regard he’s been a failure (so far). Hope he ups his pass rush game, but he needs to be a lot better. 

Charlie Partridge says hello!  

There's a reason the Colts brought him in.  To make all the D-lineman better.   I look forward to seeing what he can do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's a reason the Colts brought him in.  To make all the D-lineman better.   I look forward to seeing what he can do. 

I hope he can get Paye to the next level. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn't they bring in a new guy last year to do the same thing?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Didn't they bring in a new guy last year to do the same thing?

You might be thinking about Sparano Jr ..the Oline coach....he's tremendous and had the oline playing at elite level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I hope he can get Paye to the next level. 

I think he is what he is. He's not a bendy guy.  One of the podcasts compared him to Sheard

Not a really bad thing but just a good edge setter. Like I said, I  wouldn't have done it but it's not huge money. If u go based on what he was brought in for and his draft postion. He was not worth a 5th option. This is also a way of Ballard saving face by giving him the 5th year. Giving him the option is saying that Ballard made a good pick. Not giving him the option says it was a bad pick. Not a bust by any means but just a meh kind of player.

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You might be thinking about Sparano Jr ..the Oline coach....he's tremendous and had the oline playing at elite level.

I thought the Dline coach was also new last year with Steichen

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he is what he is. He's not a bendy guy.  One of the podcasts compared him to Sheard

Not a really bad thing but just a good edge setter. Like I said, I  wouldn't have done it but it's not huge money. If u go based on what he was brought in for and his draft postion. He was not worth a 5th option. This is also a way of Ballard saving face by giving him the 5th year. Giving him the option is saying that Ballard made a good pick. Not giving him the option says it was a bad pick. Not a bust by any means but just a meh kind of player.

Opinion after opinion after opinion after opinion.    And SURPRISE!   They’re almost all anti-Ballard.   And you’re entitled to all of those opinions, every one of them.  

But until you offer some facts then opinions are all you have.    Good luck,  

• Like 1

Opinion after opinion after opinion after opinion.    And SURPRISE!   They’re almost all anti-Ballard.   And you’re entitled to all of those opinions, every one of them.  

But until you offer some facts then opinions are all you have.    Good luck,  

Ummmmm.......I gave him kudos on this draft. Loved it. I am just not of a fan of the 5th on Kwity. That being g said, 13 million isn't a lot with a rookie qb. I just would have saved the money and let it play out. Ballard always preaches competition. To me Kwitty didn't earn the option. That's just me. I don't expect him to earn that money and we shall only know that by the end of the season.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don’t think it’s about saving face, but I do think the Colts go out of their way to give their (drafted) players a chance to succeed. 

I hope Partridge can improve the passrush, but I honestly think Paye is what he is at this point, like you. I’d just like it if he could at least get up to his rookie pressure numbers again. 

Me too.  I hope he can get the whole group much better.   I’d love to be the fly on the wall in his office! 

If nothing else I think the players will play their behinds off for him. From the few clips we’ve seen of him so far he definitely strikes me as a players coach. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If nothing else I think the players will play their behinds off for him. From the few clips we’ve seen of him so far he definitely strikes me as a players coach. 

This week I also learned that before he became the DL coach at Pitt, Partridge was the DL coach at Wisconsin.   There he did a nice job with a young man who turned into JJ Watt.   That got my attention right away.  

• Like 2