Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Rivals + Steelers Heartbreak (brought over from Colts news thread)

jvan1973

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks, I had no idea Jvan even created that thread.

He didn't, his was just the 1st post I moved over, so it looks like he did.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What?!!

The night before his wife stabbed him in the leg. Then Bettis fumbled the ball at the one yard line. Harper recovered it. He had a clear path to st least get in FG range to win the game. Maybe even a TD. But the bad leg made him slow and Big Ben was able to short string tackle him. lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The night before his wife stabbed him in the leg. Then Bettis fumbled the ball at the one yard line. Harper recovered it. He had a clear path to st least get in FG range to win the game. Maybe even a TD. But the bad leg made him slow and Big Ben was able to short string tackle him. lol 

If Harper cuts outside, he takes it 99 yards. It just wasn't our time.

• Like 1

I notice that some posters hold grudges.  I hardly remember the 1995 Championship and have moved on since then. Somehow it doesn't seem so important to me. Not criticizing others for their feelings, it's just that I find it difficult to be that engaged in a game that happened so long ago. 

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He wasn't slow.   He took a bad angle.   If he was slow, he wouldn't have been playing in the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lester said:

I was deployed to Soto Cano a little before that time; in 1992 and again in 1993. I suspect you liked to park there sometimes?

I was the CO for the Army Aviation Element there during 1995-96.  Flew UH60 Blackhawks.  Best job I had in 27+ years of service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I was the CO for the Army Aviation Element there during 1995-96.  Flew UH60 Blackhawks.  Best job I had in 27+ years of service.

In that case, here is a pic of one or your birds. #SmallWorld

25908_1093182906871_4134211_n.jpg.3697b81ba4a3e7424ebec5869b3d1715.jpg

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I remember that. That was upsetting. You guys upset the Chiefs, I think. I think I still remember the look on Schottenheimer's face. Wow, that was in 1995?? Time flies.

It was the night of my birthday party too…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I notice that some posters hold grudges.  I hardly remember the 1995 Championship and have moved on since then. Somehow it doesn't seem so important to me. Not criticizing others for their feelings, it's just that I find it difficult to be that engaged in a game that happened so long ago. 

I respect your opinion, but I am built different. I remember all losses because we could have won 5 or 6 SB's since being here in Indy realistically. = 1995, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2014. To me the losses in the playoffs stand out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Man… I know how the drive following a hard loss is from Indianapolis in the car. I can’t imagine it flying a helicopter back to base in a different country. What a story. 

I traveled from NC for that Caldwell-Infused last minute loss to the Jets in 2011.  Slept in a chair in the airport for my early-morning return flight home.  That was rough.

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Is that the year that Jim Harbaugh beat a Marty Schottenheimer coached team? If so, I remember it well. Like @2006Coltsbestever 's mom, I liked the QB. Lol. I was rooting for that QB.

I looked it up and Mike Tomzack was the Steelers qb ?

He was never really that good but Steelers had a HOF coach in Bill Cowher 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Neil Odonnel, and the occasional Kordell Stewart snap.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

You guys actually remember where you were in 1995 for the Colts Steelers AFC title game? The Packers got beat earlier that day 38-27 by the Cowboys. Us Packer fans were heartbroken cause we played Dallas tough.

Two cousins and I were coyote hunting in reclaimed strip mine hills. I made us quit early so I could catch the game.

They fell asleep sometime in the second half, but I woke them up yelling at the TV. 

Heartbreaking game, but gave me hope for the future.

• Like 1

The Steelers are regarded as the class of the NFL. The Rooney family was taking care of players long before it was commonplace. Why hate teams that beat the Colts? Why not hate the Colts brain trust for not building a better team?

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Thanks. Mike Tomzack. I remember him. He was pretty bad, IIRC.  Was he before or after Neil O'Donnell?? I think O'Donnell was better. They had many mediocre QBs before Ben Roethlisberger. Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, I think. I can't recall the others from the 90s before Ben.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. Mike Tomzack. I remember him. He was pretty bad, IIRC.  Was he before or after Neil O'Donnell?? I think O'Donnell was better. They had many mediocre QBs before Ben Roethlisberger. Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, I think. I can't recall the others from the 90s before Ben.

Neil O'Donnell was the QB in 95.  Kordell Stewart took some snaps.  He ran out of the endzone in that game,   came back in and caught a td.  Should have been a penalty 

Earlier mills catch should have been incomplete.   It is what it is

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have night terrors about that game.   The Aaron Bailey almost catch at the end.   I was 23 years old.   I'm 51 now.   It still hurts. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I have night terrors about that game.   The Aaron Bailey almost catch at the end.   I was 23 years old.   I'm 51 now.   It still hurts. 

I'm a few years older than you. I remember Harbaugh beating the Chiefs. I don't recall the Pittsburgh game. The ending sounds gut-wrenching.

One game I recall that must bring flashbacks to Titans/Oilers fans was that Super Bowl game that they almost won. They were stopped on the one-yard line. The name Mike Jones comes to mind. I think he made the stop. Was that against the Mike Martz Rams?

That Vikings loss to Atlanta after the great 1998 season made me numb for a day or two. How does a kicker miss a kick in such an important game after not missing a kick all year. SMH.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I'm a few years older than you. I remember Harbaugh beating the Chiefs. I don't recall the Pittsburgh game. The ending sounds gut-wrenching.

One game I recall that must bring flashbacks to Titans/Oilers fans was that Super Bowl game that they almost won. They were stopped on the one-yard line. The name Mike Jones comes to mind. I think he made the stop. Was that against the Mike Martz Rams?

That Vikings loss to Atlanta after the great 1998 season made me numb for a day or two. How does a Kicker not miss a kick all year but misses one in such an important game. SMH.

It’s the Colts version of Anderson for you guys.  

I always think of the How I meet your mother episode when robin goes to the Minnesota bar and anytime someone brings up the 98 NFCCG all the people in the bar say “damn”. That’s what Colts fans do about the 95 AFCCG.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dunk said:

Two cousins and I were coyote hunting in reclaimed strip mine hills. I made us quit early so I could catch the game.

They fell asleep sometime in the second half, but I woke them up yelling at the TV. 

Heartbreaking game, but gave me hope for the future.

There was a certain team that was 0-10 2 years later and another that was 9-1. Guess who won? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That Vikings loss to Atlanta after the great 1998 season made me numb for a day or two. How does a kicker miss a kick in such an important game after not missing a kick all year. SMH.

The 1998 Vikings, 15-1. Loaded with Cunningham at QB, Moss, Carter, Reed, Smith. They also had Randle on defense. Out of franchises that have never won a SB, I list that team the 3rd best even though they lost in the Championship Game not the SB. 

My top 5 list would be:

1. 1990 Bills

2. 2016 Falcons

3. 1998 Vikings

4. 1980 Chargers - Like the Vikings, lost in the Title Game.

5. 2021 Bengals

Honorable Mention: 1999 Titans

-those franchises have never won a SB but the teams I listed were great in reality. They just lost because of circumstance or bad luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

There was a certain team that was 0-10 2 years later and another that was 9-1. Guess who won? 

I think that would be the 0-10 Colts over the Pack. Paul Justin had a great game that day. I remember him taking two knees so time would expire as the winning Fg was kicked.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 7:32 PM, NFLfan said:

I remember that game.

What a great team the Vikings had. Randall Cunningham was an awesome QB.

Somehow the Falcons stayed close with Chris Chandler and Mort Anderson made a great kick 

Was it Gary Anderson of the Vikes that missed his kick and that was the difference in the game.

A great game no doubt

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Was it Gary Anderson of the Vikes that missed his kick and that was the difference in the game.

Yep, that was the FG kicker. He had not missed any FG attempts that year until that one. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dunk said:

I think that would be the 0-10 Colts over the Pack. Paul Justin had a great game that day. I remember him taking two knees so time would expire as the winning Fg was kicked.

I watched that game with My Dad, friends of mine and his Dad. Their father since has passed away. I remember that was a tough loss but we blew out the Cowboys the next week 45-17. That healed the pain lol.

• Like 2

Patriots being % the last two years has taken some of the vinegar out of it for me. Jags have been annoying lately mostly their fan base. Obnoxious bunch acting like they haven't sucked or disappointed. I'm glad they missed the playoffs entirely