Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Starting to realize that social media is making these off season reports mostly nonsense

At least it’s something to read and talk about. The days without social media was boring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not really people are who are wrong are not trusted going forward by most.

That's not how it works in social media these days in update-crazy world ..

Holder said last year that JT didn't want to be in Indy, and now see people are posting what Holder says today. No one blacklisted Holder, I saw many other Colts and Chiefs reporters early this morning was re-tweeting Holder's tweet. 

People not trusting is not a problem, same people will read what he posts because they will want to know "updates" just like we do here. 

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You realize that I said nothing about the physical in my post and simply pointed out they can’t have him put pin to paper until the trade is done.

However since you brought up physicals those too are completed after trades are done and trades are pending physicals and voided if players fail the physical.  So the trade has to come first and once that’s done everything will come out but they will try to time it so the physical and contract are completed very shortly there after so they can announce everything at once like with Buckner.

Which is why he is getting a physical. He comes  and gets a physical. Pass physical. Trade sent to league and he puts pen to paper. You’re arguing for no reason. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's not how it works in social media these days in update-crazy world ..

Holder said last year that JT didn't want to be in Indy, and now see people are posting what Holder says today. No one blacklisted Holder, I saw many other Colts and Chiefs reporters early this morning was re-tweeting Holder's tweet. 

People not trusting is not a problem, same people will read what he posts because they will want to know "updates" just like we do here. 

Read the thread and see how many people who say they don’t like or believe Holder and if you are brave enough check out his mentions on twitter.  He’s not well liked or trusted and it’s largely because of stuff like that.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which is why he is getting a physical. He comes  and gets a physical. Pass physical. Trade sent to league and he puts pen to paper. You’re arguing for no reason. 

He can’t get the physical until the trade is filled with the league.  Once that happens it’s public knowledge.  If he’s here to get the physical without the trade it’s major tampering.  Like I said they can try to time everything close together but it’s not being reported anywhere that I can see, including Destin who hasn’t said a word about Sneed being in Indy.  

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I will say this the Colts are really good at keeping things quiet and preventing leaks. Remember the Buckner trade, it was radio silent until it happened. 

But when talks drag on like this, there are insiders and reporters from other team that start making updates as well, that Colts can't stop.

For example, the "Rickey" guy that Destin quoted few times, the same guy that @NFLfan said recently now that Twitter account was not found, was a Chiefs insider or reporter or could be just random Twitter guy... Destin even re-tweeted that guy once and said "RICKEY SPEAKS"...

My point is, Colts can keep it without leaking, if things happen quickly or if only the teams are engaging for a short period of time, but over the time leaks can happen in many ways out of control, especially in a situation like this when the whole world wants to know what's going on with Sneed's situation. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Read the thread and see how many people who say they don’t like or believe Holder and if you are brave enough check out his mentions on twitter.  He’s not well liked or trusted and it’s largely because of stuff like that.

Yes, he's not well liked, but that doesn't stop his tweets from being reported here, which is what matters with Holder. Or anyone in social media these days. 

Same people who don't trust you will re-tweet you if you've got an update. Whether it's still false or not. 

Since we’re talking media, it feels I should toss in my two cents about now. 

We’re all old enough to remember when your sources of sports news were your morning paper, your late news, and your local radio station that liked to talk sports.  

I think Twitter is roughly 15 years old.   The rush to be first has never been more important.  And the new technology makes reporting news at lightning speed easier than ever.   Which unfortunately means there’s going to be more wrong reports than ever before.   And it doesn’t take much for anyone to create their own media content.  Just create your own name and logo and suddenly you’re covering the Colts.   

Destin was a guy like that a few years ago.  He has steadily built up some credibility with a few years of decent, but not always great reporting.  He seems to be a standup guy. 

Nobody likes being wrong.  But the new technology has made it an unfortunate fact of the sports world we live in.  Personally, I’d cut most all if these guys a little slack,  but that’s an individual thing and your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, he's not well liked, but that doesn't stop his tweets from being reported here, which is what matters with Holder. Or anyone in social media these days. 

Same people who don't trust you will re-tweet you if you've got an update. Whether it's still false or not. 

Yeah that wasn’t my point at all.  I know darn well that people will post anything to get attention.  That’s why most people are skeptical of them until it’s backed up by a legit reporter.  I’ve made it clear I think Destin is more than some random attention seeker on twitter.  However, if you are going to be a legit reporter you better make sure you have ALL of a story like this confirmed before you report it as done.  If you get something like that wrong people look at you sideways next time and stop trusting what you say.  The example I gave was the Colts “insider” who reported Baker Mayfield would be a Colt within 24 hours back when the Colts got Ryan and hasn’t been trusted since, same thing with the former “insider” Brad Wells.  People figure it out after a while and don’t trust it anymore.  

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Failing physical or the possibility of it will not stop the news from being reported.

Everyone will report, then the player fails physical, then the trade is off - that's how it works, and at every stage it will become common knowledge.

As @GoColts8818 says, league will need to be notified, so physicals isn't a problem here.

Moreover, you're talking as of Sneed is injured. He was only injured during weekly practices and during some games, but he played in playoffs and Super Bowl..

No one is as concerned about Sneed's health as you. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your comments here are just as good — maybe even better than mine — and I thought mine was pretty darn good!   Thats just amazing!!   

Man, I was not ready for such a powerful compliment! Truly, that means a lot and I thank you. You know how I feel about you and a lot of other posters on here. You guys are the reason I keep coming back!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I will say this the Colts are really good at keeping things quiet and preventing leaks. Remember the Buckner trade, it was radio silent until it happened. 

Absolutely. In my book, they’re second to none in terms of being reticent during this process. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Man, I was not ready for such a powerful compliment! Truly, that means a lot and I thank you. You know how I feel about you and a lot of other posters on here. You guys are the reason I keep coming back!

Believe me, it was well deserved.  Your info was great, and I had not read that before.  Wanted to give you the props you deserve!  

• Like 1

Yeah that wasn’t my point at all.  I know darn well that people will post anything to get attention.  That’s why most people are skeptical of them until it’s backed up by a legit reporter.  I’ve made it clear I think Destin is more than some random attention seeker on twitter.  However, if you are going to be a legit reporter you better make sure you have ALL of a story like this confirmed before you report it as done.  If you get something like that wrong people look at you sideways next time and stop trusting what you say.  The example I gave was the Colts “insider” who reported Baker Mayfield would be a Colt within 24 hours back when the Colts got Ryan and hasn’t been trusted since, same thing with the former “insider” Brad Wells.  People figure it out after a while and don’t trust it anymore.  

There are two sides to a coin.

I agree with what you say. But, Your example is one extreme scenario. 

You also need to acknowledge that lots of "updates" we are here everyday is not "all locked-up-and-confirmed" information.

If Destin needs to stop that, and if everyone does, we will only have few updates here... Part of the craze with social media these days is, there are minor updates available from beat reporters before everything is confirmed.

If anything, Destin will need to beware of his "sources".

But, such reports without full confirmation will continue to happen and that's how the world has changed. 

You're asking Destin to go back to old days when the world has changed. 

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

There are two sides to a coin.

I agree with what you say. But, Your example is one extreme scenario. 

You also need to acknowledge that lots of "updates" we are here everyday is not "all locked-up-and-confirmed" information.

If Destin needs to stop that, and if everyone does, we will only have few updates here... Part of the craze with social media these days is, there are minor updates available from beat reporters before everything is confirmed.

If anything, Destin will need to beware of his "sources".

But, such reports without full confirmation will continue to happen and that's how the world has changed. 

You're asking Destin to go back to old days when the world has changed. 

Speculation and updates are not the same thing as pretty much reporting the trade is done, which is what Destin did.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Speculation and updates are not the same thing as pretty much reporting the trade is done, which is what Destin did.

What was it that Holder said that upset folks?  I think you wrote that he said the deal is not done. That seems innocuous, nothing to get upset about.

He is right -- the deal is not done. If it is done at a later time, it does not mean he was not right at that time.  I don't think everyone should claim they knew he was wrong.

It seems like much ado about nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

What was it that Holder said that upset folks?  I think you wrote that he said the deal is not done. That seems innocuous, not to get upset about.

He is right -- the deal is not done. If it is done at a later time, it does not mean he was not right at that time.  I don't think everyone should claim they knew he was wrong.

He followed up with if he had to bet it wasn’t happening. It was really trashy of him to step on Destin’s reporting like that.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Do you not understand what the words pretty much mean?

Finalizing details does not mean done.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What was it that Holder said that upset folks?  I think you wrote that he said the deal is not done. That seems innocuous, not to get upset about.

More going back to the Taylor stuff in the past.  My issue with Holder today was him just saying he doesn’t feel it gets done at all while he was reporting the trade wasn’t done per the Colts top brass.  The former is his opinion which he’s entitled to for sure but it shouldn’t be presented when he’s reporting facts.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He followed up with if he had to bet it wasn’t happening. It was really trashy of him to step on Destin’s reporting like that.

Finalizing details does not mean done.

Again do you not understand what the words pretty much means?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

More going back to the Taylor stuff in the past.  My issue with Holder today was him just saying he doesn’t feel it gets done at all while he was reporting the trade wasn’t done per the Colts top brass.  The former is his opinion which he’s entitled to for sure but it shouldn’t be presented when he’s reporting facts.  

Again do you not understand what the words pretty much means?

Pen to paper mean done. There is a reason he didn’t say that.

Okay. I see. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What will you say if the deal does not take place?

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes, in some cases like this Sneed trade talks, the fine line between speculation and confirmation disappears.

Now, we think it was speculation.

In the morning, we thought it was confirmation because every one was waiting for the news to come out.

Today morning, I was only the first to say here Holder could be correct, and before that many started blasting him. It took time for people to accept that the trade might not be going Colts way, or it is still not close yet. 

Not every trade talk will take this long. When this happened, Steelers have got 2 QBs - Wilson and Fields - with only little information leaked about that..

who knew only big FA signing Colts were pursuing will end up in a deadlock like this?

I'm just saying, Destin got caught up in a weird trade talk when 90% of NFL trade talk doesn't prolong like this... As Sneed is on franchise tag, he or Chiefs can always go back to the status quo and he's not a free agent. This is just a different scenario unlike many others that these beat guys report... Going wrong about this is not a blackmark on reporter, people realize this is a complex trade situation. 

Otherwise, I agree with you.. guys like Destin could be careful about confirming for sure, but we don't know the finer details like their sources. I think Destin was relying on a Chiefs source, and that didn't go well. 

I am out after this until some real news comes out regarding Sneed.

I hope Destin is right.  I hope they are getting this done and the Colts did use Holder.  However, until it’s done I’d be very careful just assuming everything coming out of Destin’s mouth is a fact because it’s what most want to be true.  There is a chance he could be wrong.  He might not be, like I said before we don’t know.  

As for Holder he is probably my least favorite person in the local media that covers the Colts for the reasons I’ve stated before.  You can call me old fashioned if you wish but I like guys like Chap who gets things fully nailed down before it’s reported,  that’s what reporters are supposed to do.  I am not going to lower my expectations for real reporters for wanna be reporters on twitter to meet the definition of a reporter.  Also to be clear I do not think Destin is an internet wanna be reporter.  I think he’s a young guy who is working his way up the ranks of reporting, you have to start somewhere.  I do think IF, and yes it’s an if at this point, he’s wrong I do think he’s going to learn a valuable lesson from this that you have to get all of the story nailed down before you try to break news on a story like this.  If he’s right hey good for him that’s a major scoop on his part that will only further his career.

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I'm waiting for the news that we acquire some game changing DE.  Are they all gone now?

Chase Young probably highlights the group 

until it’s done I’d be very careful just assuming everything coming out of Destin’s mouth is a fact because it’s what most want to be true.  There is a chance he could be wrong.  He might not be, like I said before we don’t know.  

Exactly.

This is how we have to take any report in today's world.

It's just an update, Destin or whoever, then we wait for final confirmation from guys like Schefter or Ian..

If it doesn't come, it didn't come to fruition. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I like guys like Chap who gets things fully nailed down before it’s reported,  that’s what reporters are supposed to do.  I am not going to lower my expectations for real reporters for wanna be reporters on twitter to meet the definition of a reporter.  

You are the Chap of the forum. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Hell, Darnold was traded for 2nd, 4th and 6th... How the hell does Fields not get you at least one day 2. Picket got better return... Sam freaking Howell got better pick. HOW? :dunno:

Maybe, the 3 million Steelers need to pay (I'm assuming Steelers do).

Those other guys like Pickett or Howell come cheaper...

But, I agree with you... Even factoring the salary, which is rookie deal and not much for a QB, Fields should garnered more for the Bears!

Only thing that makes sense to me - Bears must be betting that Fields will win the QB battle over Russell Wilson and Fields will pay for more than 51% of snaps, so Bears would end up getting 4th round draft pick, early day 3 draft pick. In next year's Draft. 

I think that's the hope Bears must have.

Still, it feels low bargain but probably that's the market, no one else wanted Fields, so Bears are fine with it. 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

There was only 1 signing thread merged into this thread. It was the Grover thread and it didn't have a single reply in it for an hour because all of the talk was in here.

Everything else was just posted in here.

"Other NFL" trades like Fields, etc., has been continuously posted here for few days now, and that is in Free Agency Colts news only thread here.

People shouldn't post other teams' acquisition here, there's a separate thread for that in NFL General section. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

How all this 'stuff' got posted in a Colt's Free Agency thread is beyond me. Instead of 81 pages, it could easily be 3.

Think of it like being with people in person. Conversation naturally flows in and out of topics generally. You may strike up a conversation with someone about the Colts, but then after a few minutes you talk about something else that usually is relevant to the original topic but a bit different. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Think of it like being with people in person. Conversation naturally flows in and out of topics generally. You may strike up a conversation with someone about the Colts, but then after a few minutes you talk about something else that usually is relevant to the original topic but a bit different. 

You mean like Sneed --> Snood -- > Snooze? Wake me up if and when it happens.