Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we going down the offensive path again?

chad72

No I absolutely dont....and Luck will not be able to cover up those holes. I don't think our defense is that terrible. I'm not necessarily saying top 15 or even top 20. My point is that Andrew needs players on his side of the ball to grow with. The points will come. And speaking in terms of 2012, the defense need only keep them in the game (hence compete....this year), not dominate. Two years from now, I expect a dominating defense. This year, just put the kid in position to win some games.

all I know is I better see some big names in the draft on the defensive side next year and how about a dang guard, passing on so many good ones holy crap Cordy Glenn do we really think Seth Olsen and Murphy will keep Luck from getting killed or they open up holes for us? thats not a bet Im willing to take

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

all I know is I better see some big names in the draft on the defensive side next year and how about a dang guard, passing on so many good ones holy crap Cordy Glenn do we really think Seth Olsen and Murphy will keep Luck from getting killed or they open up holes for us? thats not a bet Im willing to take

Yeah, we definitely need a guard. We really need to do something with Freeney's situation so we have some $$ to even look at who is released before/after training camp. I am hoping the next years draft is Def. heavy with the exception of a number 1 receiver. Who knows, we may get back up in the 4th and take someone that will at least appease us.

Yeah, we definitely need a guard. We really need to do something with Freeney's situation so we have some $$ to even look at who is released before/after training camp. I am hoping the next years draft is Def. heavy with the exception of a number 1 receiver. Who knows, we may get back up in the 4th and take someone that will at least appease us.

Im not counting on it but Ta'amu would lessen the sting some but I am 99.9 percent sure were not getting back in the 4th which likely means he is out and maybe even Chapman to and Baptiste sorta like a domino affect

Nope, the strategy was to provide some balance on O and D.

You can't say "build the monster" and back it up with a draft like this. It is inconsistent, to say the least, IMO, at least from the defensive point of view.

I am excited about the offensive possibilities but I firmly believe we could have prioritized a few things differently. Oh well, it is my opinion against yours and possibly others!!!

I feel the same way, this is what we did with Manning and look what it got us. No way Luck will be as good as Manning so we had better build a great D, I see the tight end maybe, but we need d players

I feel the same way, this is what we did with Manning and look what it got us. No way Luck will be as good as Manning so we had better build a great D, I see the tight end maybe, but we need d players

The difference is that we did it with Manning year in and year out. This is year 1. Hopefully we don't fall into that strategy again.....but I don't think we will.

Im not counting on it but Ta'amu would lessen the sting some but I am 99.9 percent sure were not getting back in the 4th which likely means he is out and maybe even Chapman to and Baptiste sorta like a domino affect

It's funny you said this. I just got back online to ask this question about Ta'amu

Why cant we just build the offense so our important rookie has a fighting chance then theoretically add a piece or two to it over the next several years while using the entire draft picks on defense the next few drafts?

Because the problem is, if your offense can't ever get on the field, it really don't matter how many weapons you have on offense. This is the same strategy that Polian went with for yrs. and it destroyed our chances over the yrs.. Im holding onto some hope that with the scheme change on defense that we will be improved even with our current roster, but IMO we still need quite a bit of help on D. If we can get a solid NT and a decent CB today, then I'll feel a little better.

assuming the loss of Ta'amu doesnt create a domino affect at that position before we get a chance

Thats true. There seems to be a lot of teams reaching this yr. though so at this point I have no idea who will be available for us in the 5th and beyond. Weird draft so far.

Thats true. There seems to be a lot of teams reaching this yr. though so at this point I have no idea who will be available for us in the 5th and beyond. Weird draft so far.

I would have loved to draft Upshaw and Cordy Glenn

I am hoping our rainman Grigson guy finds diamonds in the rough, like our former old Polian did, to add to the defensive talent. We added DL bodies (McKinney and Redding) and Zbikowski. Did I miss anyone else? Zbikowski could not beat out Bernard Pollard, who is a coverage liability in most cases, so I am not as excited about him other than the fact that local folks may like Golden domers :). Redding and McKinney, yes, those guys are starters. The CFL talent, I do not have much knowledge of and will trust Grigson that we can get some defensive guys out of those and not just ST.

I may not be happy at this point but I am still optimistic for rounds 5-7, which is all we have at this point. Make it count, rainman!!!

This is disappointing. Not the Colts draft but the reaction to it by you & others.

1) The Colts have holes to fill all over the place - both sides of the ball. This draft has addressed those needs and, the kicker is...

2) it is not even half over. There is still time to address defensive needs.

3) All of the Colts needs were never going to be addressed in one draft

4) I think expressing disappointment in a draft before any of the guys have put on a horseshoe helmet is kind of funny.

Personally I look at what they have done and can't help but be excited about it.

Obviously, Hilton was ahead of Ta'amu on our board. That should tell you something about what they think of Ta'amu or how great a difference maker Hilton is going to be.

And we have to take this into account.

We haven't had a decent PR guy in ages..... plus Hilton is a good slot WR and we know Collie is one bad head shot away from the IR.... or worse.

We have 6 picks left today and we still have more holes than a swiss cheese factory.... so we'll see what happens.

I would have loved to draft Upshaw and Cordy Glenn

Fantastic. Good for you.

I just don't get this. The Colts have a mess of a roster. They need help all over the place so while you may have wanted those guys, they still got players who will help the team.

And there are still picks to be made.

This is disappointing. Not the Colts draft but the reaction to it by you & others.

1) The Colts have holes to fill all over the place - both sides of the ball. This draft has addressed those needs and, the kicker is...

4) I think expressing disappointment in a draft before any of the guys have put on a horseshoe helmet is kind of funny.

Personally I look at what they have done and can't help but be excited about it.

Same here..... seeing their approach and the whole "BPA that fills a need" concept, it makes sense.

And as much as I would have liked Cordy Glenn at #34.... we have a rookie QB/TE combo with a familiarity and comfort level already in place.

That usually takes 1-2 years to forge so were ahead of the game there.... and Allen plays right into the plan.

Because the problem is, if your offense can't ever get on the field, it really don't matter how many weapons you have on offense. This is the same strategy that Polian went with for yrs. and it destroyed our chances over the yrs.. Im holding onto some hope that with the scheme change on defense that we will be improved even with our current roster, but IMO we still need quite a bit of help on D. If we can get a solid NT and a decent CB today, then I'll feel a little better.

But if we don't score, we'll be the 2011 Cleveland Browns all over again.

I think we're at least going to score with teams. Though I wish that they would have traded a future pick to select a lineman they were high on. I expect OL to be addressed with undrafted FA's, which is a bad idea.

I would be stunned if he was their for us in the 5th

Me too, but I also thought there wasn't a snowballs chance in LLEH that Fleener would be there in the 2nd. I am kind of hoping we trade back into the 4th and take him (or ship Freeney off for a 4th).

Me too, but I also thought there wasn't a snowballs chance in LLEH that Fleener would be there in the 2nd. I am kind of hoping we trade back into the 4th and take him (or ship Freeney off for a 4th).

seriously doubt that will happen Freeny's contract is to big I think for anyone to bite, we are stuck with a 14 million dollar experiment for one year

I agree we are probably stuck with him. The only real benefit of getting that contract off the books is to sign waiver wire guys once cuts come through. We are pretty cash strapped at this point. I don't think anyone would give a 4th for him anyway (isn't it 19 million cap hit?)

There are always some who will not like the selections made. My only real problem so far was trading up to get Hilton. Grigs must have felt another team was targeting him and needed to jump up. Im good with that because I want to give this new regime a chance before jumping all over them. It's true, I wanted defense. Im tired of the whole "lets just try to outscore everybody and forget about having a strong defense" way of playing, but I also have hope that the new scheme will improve the D even with the current roster. I'll just hold my criticism til I see how these guys work out.

I went back looking for this post, just to quote it again.

Fantastic job.

I may like it once, but I'll honorarily give you all my likes for the day.

after 30 years of futility we were blessed with a once in a lifetime player that wasn't given the tools to win. Instead he was kicked out of town. Now we're lucky enough to have another chance, and we're doing it again.

Its not that we gave luck weapons that bothers me, its that we only gave him passing weapons.

Lamar Miller is still on the board and we should have taken him before a deep passing threat as we have absolutely no running game.

Sure would I had rather had upshaw or glenn over fleener but I wasn't upset when we drafted Fleener . It was the second TE and WR to aid our passing game that bothered me.

Essentially we got rid of the greatest passing attack of all time and have replaced it with a cheaper version of NE. Still no running game to speak of. No OL.

And the real reason people are confused is because we just assumed we would address the things we lacked first.

This draft has surprised, but not disappointed me. The 2nd TE really surprised me, but the wideout was a return man in college and an explosive one. He may help fix that part of our team.

I still expect that we end up 3-13 next year and end up with a top 5 pick which we can possibly turn into the kind of haul that St. Louis did this year. There are still teams desperate for a franchise QB and Barckley and Jones both come out next year. In addition we free up more than 30 million in cap space so we can look at the free agent market for higher quality players than we have been able to look at in the past.

I expect we spend some of our remaining picks this year and our early picks and free agent signings next year to fortifying the defense.

This will not make the "quick fix" fans happy.

Nobody is puking pessimism. We just disagree with the picks and the direction.

Still hoping it all works out. Its an internet forum. We come on here to whine about insignificant things. ;)

We still have 5 picks....hopefully the direction goes toward the Def. (at least after they draft Streeter, unless Ta'amu is avaiable).

It's all a trade off. Yes, we could have spent picks on D but then we would be alarmingly thin at TE and would still need to add talent at WR.

We could have went D-TE-G but then we would be just a little better in each area and still dangerously thin at TE and in need of a WR. You can have fun and do all the other combinations possibel invloving 3

picks. My point is, we need people in each of those positions. We needed 2 good Tight Ends, we needed another good reciever we need another good lineman and CB and DT etc..

We made the decision that the guys we picked would be more likely to be successfull then guys at other

positions, also of need, that were still on the board.

I think it is a given that the brain trust realizes that the D needs to improve. So let's assume it takes 2 years to get it to where they want, guess what, at that point we sould have a heck of a pasing game already in place. I also think our running game should be OK with an already improved(and hopefully still improving ) O line and 2 TE's on the feild.

Like I said, you have your opinions and I have mine. I am excited about the offensive possibilities, just not as excited on the defensive side of the ball and one would have to hope that the later round guys and UDFAs give us diamonds in the rough to be competitive defensively to add to our defensive talent. I am not disappointed in the players selected so far for their specific roles, just disappointed that while there were holes all over the place like you said, the defensive holes could have used some early round talent infusion as well and that was not done.

At the end of the day, I will still have to trust the GM and coaches' judgement as a Colts fan as to how they feel about our defensive talent that exists, and I have no choice. But I do have a choice to express my opinion, however contrarian it might be, and I did. Sorry if it does not agree with yours or match every level of excitement that every fan expects out of me.

No I absolutely dont....and Luck will not be able to cover up those holes. I don't think our defense is that terrible. I'm not necessarily saying top 15 or even top 20. My point is that Andrew needs players on his side of the ball to grow with. The points will come. And speaking in terms of 2012, the defense need only keep them in the game (hence compete....this year), not dominate. Two years from now, I expect a dominating defense. This year, just put the kid in position to win some games.

You don't think our D was terrible? You do know we are not playing in Baltimore now, don't you?

The FO picked Arians knowing he ran 2 TE sets. The FO picked Luck knowing he ran 2 TE sets. Grigson saw on tape that Eldridge isn't Pro level. Grigson drafted the 2 best TE's in the draft. Arians likes small very fast receivers. Grigson gave it to him. Manusky and some of you aren't happy while Arians and some of us are very happy.

The FO picked Arians knowing he ran 2 TE sets. The FO picked Luck knowing he ran 2 TE sets. Grigson saw on tape that Eldridge isn't Pro level. Grigson drafted the 2 best TE's in the draft. Arians likes small very fast receivers. Grigson gave it to him. Manusky and some of you aren't happy while Arians and some of us are very happy.

One thing is for sure, offensive production puts more people in the seats due to the excitement it brings and we will sell tickets. So you can add Irsay to the list of people that are happy!!! :) :)

You don't think our D was terrible? You do know we are not playing in Baltimore now, don't you?

I didn't say WAS; I said IS. With the additions and scheme change, I think are better than terrible. I think having a decent safety next to Bethea will make a huge difference in the running game. Also, the scheme change by nature should make us somewhat better.