Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Joins the Combine Broadcast with Eisen

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think Ballard goes all in this year.

I think fans want him to just like they do every year.  The reality is Richardson is going to be a glorified rookie because of all the time he missed last year.  They are still putting talent around him.  I think Ballard is saying what he always says if the right guy is there he will spend the money.  The thing is who the fans feel is the right guy and who Ballard thinks is the right guy seldom aligns such as when he spent big money to go get Gay last year but fans moaned because it was a kicker and not a big name they wanted.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think fans want him to just like they do every year.  The reality is Richardson is going to be a glorified rookie because of all the time he missed last year.  They are still putting talent around him.  I think Ballard is saying what he always says if the right guy is there he will spend the money.  The thing is who the fans feel is the right guy and who Ballard thinks is the right guy seldom aligns such as when he spent big money to go get Gay last year but fans moaned because it was a kicker and not a big name they wanted.

Yeah I think he adds talent but I think that talent is going to be multiple 2nd tier talent vs one top tier. And I think that’s a good thing. 

• Like 1

I think Indianapolis, a small market by nature, has always and will usually have trouble attracting the best talent in free agency.  Having Manning or Luck would substantially help towards attracting the best, but right now we have a developing rookie with the keys to the Cadillac.  So there's that. 

The main issue lies in the teams we are going up against when bidding for these players.  If Miami, Tampa, Jags want to offer the same deal to our FA targets- why wouldn't the player choose the other teams over Indy? They all outperformed us last year, the climate is perfect and oh ya....that state TAX thing that FLA players are exempt from. 

So that leaves Indy in a position of having to overpay for anyone they want to bring in.  Ballard knows this and everyone else does too.

SO my point is, I do believe Ballard may make a dip in FA this year, but most certainly not at a marquee position unless he wants to pay for the likes of aging talent like Khalil Mack, etc. Maybe this is where he dips. 

I think he will overspend a bit on a position like linebacker or safety or DT.  Expect moves at these three positions specifically, because it will free up Ballard to focus primarily on O for the first few picks of the draft.  Its the more frugal and sound approach.