Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodgers comes clean about the bets he made while a colt

csmopar

• csmopar changed the title to Rodgers comes clean about the bets he made while a colt

Did he take full responsibility?  First, he said he was making bets for people in Florida.  However, the $1000 bet on JT took place from Indiana.  Most likely a prop bet on JT under a certain amount of yards.  To me that means he used inside information to help someone bet against a teammate on his account. 

All if this has been negotiated with the NFLPA.   It’s hard to get a life suspension whether we thinks it appropriate or not.  The NFLPA would never accept that.  

I think the Colts learned a lesson the hard way.   They cut Taylor and Philly claims him.   I think this is — in part — why the Colts have not yet cut Ogletree.   He’d be claimed by some other team.   And the Colts may still eventually cut him. But not so far.  I think they hope to find a way to keep him.   I think the Colts value Ogletree far more than our fan base does. 

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All if this has been negotiated with the NFLPA.   It’s hard to get a life suspension whether we thinks it appropriate or not.  The NFLPA would never accept that.  

I think the Colts learned a lesson the hard way.   They cut Taylor and Philly claims him.   I think this is — in part — why the Colts have not yet cut Ogletree.   He’d be claimed by some other team.   And the Colts may still eventually cut him. But not so far.  I think they hope to find a way to keep him.   I think the Colts value Ogletree far more than our fan base does. 

They are just letting the legal system play out with Ogletree. After that’s settled we will see what happens. I kind of wished they hadn’t cut rodgers. He didn’t hurt anyone but himself.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are just letting the legal system play out with Ogletree. After that’s settled we will see what happens. I kind of wished they hadn’t cut rodgers. He didn’t hurt anyone but himself.

Can’t applaud Shane for putting discipline in place and establishing standards that you and others felt weren’t there under Reich and then say the franchise should have turned a blind eye to guy who clearly broke major rules even if he did only hurt himself.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I understand why they’re letting the legal system play out.   But they could have cut him anyway if they wanted.   It was the Colts choice to continue to hold him.   

The Colts have two hurdles to clear to keep Ogletree.  

1.   The legal system.  

2.   Public opinion.  

The Colts have to clear both to have any chance.   The odds are likely against them, but the odds are not zero.  It could happen.   It’s just not likely. 

Rogers’ situation is obviously much different from Ogletree’s. Rogers admitted to betting on his team. A massive problem for him and the NFL. I agree with what the Colts did; I’m stunned the Eagles did what they did. 
Ogletree is in limbo while this all

plays out but as far as I know there has been no admission of guilt or proof of it either. Time will tell but there is nothing wrong with the Colts holding onto him while his innocence is still under review.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand why they’re letting the legal system play out.   But they could have cut him anyway if they wanted.   It was the Colts choice to continue to hold him.   

1.   The legal system.  

2.   Public opinion.  

The Colts have to clear both to have any chance.   The odds are likely against them, but the odds are not zero.  It could happen.   It’s just not likely. 

I think he got lucky due to the timing, because in the immediate aftermath the playoffs were a bigger story and now the super bowl, where unless you were a colts fan you probably didn't hear about it. At this point if he gets cleared in the legal system, there won't be much public opinion on the issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think he got lucky due to the timing, because in the immediate aftermath the playoffs were a bigger story and now the super bowl, where unless you were a colts fan you probably didn't hear about it. At this point if he gets cleared in the legal system, there won't be much public opinion on the issue. 

Hope you’re right.   I don’t pretend know that much about the state of Indiana beyond that fact that it’s conservative.   So I don’t know if the charges of spousal abuse would turn fans against him even if he’s legally cleared?   Hope you’re right. 

11 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Did he take full responsibility?  First, he said he was making bets for people in Florida.  However, the $1000 bet on JT took place from Indiana.  Most likely a prop bet on JT under a certain amount of yards.  To me that means he used inside information to help someone bet against a teammate on his account. 

Where did you get all the inside information on that bet ? saying he bet "against a teammate " is pretty reckless and most likely not true. I've read a few articles and find nothing to support your conclusion that he bet against Taylor . Considering the year that taylor had , I would think the bet he cashed was on the over and not the under. 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Can’t applaud Shane for putting discipline in place and establishing standards that you and others felt weren’t there under Reich and then say the franchise should have turned a blind eye to guy who clearly broke major rules even if he did only hurt himself.

I know. I get it. Shane also didn’t have any attachment to these players that were here before he got here.  Rodgers was just a really good player.

Considering Rodger's is the only CB that was very good in coverage that Ballard/Dodds has supplied us with in their many year tenure, i thought they were hasty in cutting him.

Players mess up, take a big hit sitting out a year, go to whatever counseling the league requires, then get reinstated, probably with conditions. 

Roger's explanation doesn’t pass the smell test for me. And the Taylor bet is damning IMO.

The new rule is a minimum of a 2 year suspension for a certain level of infraction. I think he qualifies for that. Some gamblers lose, first your $$, then your clothes. You were so close kid.

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

Where did you get all the inside information on that bet ? saying he bet "against a teammate " is pretty reckless and most likely not true. I've read a few articles and find nothing to support your conclusion that he bet against Taylor . Considering the year that taylor had , I would think the bet he cashed was on the over and not the under. 

Say's it right in the article and it came straight from Rodgers

"In his first public comments since being suspended in June by the NFL for violating its gambling policy, former Indianapolis Colts cornerback Isaiah Rodgers Sr. confirmed the abundance of bets he was involved with, and that he won $1,000 for betting on then-teammate Jonathan Taylor."

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see it differently.

The Colts waived Rodgers in June. He cleared waivers and sat available for weeks, then signed with the Eagles in August. If the Colts wanted to keep Rodgers in 2023, they could have, with no cap charge and without a roster spot. I don't know whether the Colts hoped to bring Rodgers back at some point, but it doesn't seem like it. My opinion, they cut him and never looked back.

They also waited for the league's decision before waiving Rodgers. The recent story is that Rodgers knew he was being investigated in February or March, but didn't tell anyone. The story first broke in early June, at which point the Colts released a statement saying they were aware but would not be commenting. I don't think we know whether the Colts were aware of the investigation from the beginning, but I'm sure that Rodgers failure to communicate with the team didn't help him.

But it's noteworthy that the Colts did not take any action until after the NFL announced the results of the investigation, and handed down the suspension. It's only at that point that the Colts cut Rodgers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-isaiah-rodgers-rashod-berry-suspended-nfl

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37802067/nfl-investigating-colts-player-possible-betting

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-isaiah-rodgers-sign-noah-elliss

So if we look at the Ogletree situation, it's possible that the team is taking the same approach. Ogletree is on the exempt list, not taking a roster spot. The Colts waited for the league to make a decision on Rodgers; they could be doing the same with Ogletree. And it's unlikely that anything happens before the legal process plays out. So I think they're just waiting, while the facts become clear.

Side point: I have not had anything to say about Ogletree. The story sounds awful, and if he did what he's accused of, then I think the Colts will cut him and move on. But despite the way the initial reports sound, we do not actually know what happened. So it's hard for me to have an opinion on the way the Colts have handled it so far. IMO, it makes sense for them to wait before making a decision either way.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.   The legal system.  

2.   Public opinion.  

IMO the public opinion is not strong enough and the public doesn't know enough on the Ogletree's situation for that to be the main factor. IMO if he gets cleared legally he will be back with the Colts. That's why they haven't cut him yet. IMO if they were worried about public backlash they would have already cut ties... :dunno:

1 hour ago, twfish said:

"In his first public comments since being suspended in June by the NFL for violating its gambling policy, former Indianapolis Colts cornerback Isaiah Rodgers Sr. confirmed the abundance of bets he was involved with, and that he won $1,000 for betting on then-teammate Jonathan Taylor."

It doesn't say he bet against JT.  He may have,  but it doesn't say he did

2 hours ago, twfish said:

There's betting  "on his teammate" and betting "against his teammate." Let's say the line was Taylor at 85 yards. Betting the over would mean he gains over 85 yards. That would be betting ON his teammate. Betting under 85 yards would mean he bet AGAINST his teammate.  So ... please show me proof of he bet "against" his teammate. The article you have quoted states the EXACT OPPOSITE.  " Isaiah Rodgers Sr. confirmed the abundance of bets he was involved with, and that he won $1,000 for betting on then-teammate Jonathan Taylor."  Notice it says he won 1K from betting ON not against his teammate. ON not against. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

There's betting  "on his teammate" and betting "against his teammate." Let's say the line was Taylor at 85 yards. Betting the over would mean he gains over 85 yards. That would be betting ON his teammate. Betting under 85 yards would mean he bet AGAINST his teammate.  So ... please show me proof of he bet "against" his teammate. The article you have quoted states the EXACT OPPOSITE.  " Isaiah Rodgers Sr. confirmed the abundance of bets he was involved with, and that he won $1,000 for betting on then-teammate Jonathan Taylor."  Notice it says he won 1K from betting ON not against his teammate. ON not against. 

I agree with your interpretation, and that's the way I read it as well. But I don't know if the writer's use of words should be taken 100% literal in that case. I think more precise wording would be helpful in this case. If it said 'he bet on the over,' that would require no interpretation at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I apologize, I misread it as on a teammate and not against a teammate. Running on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a new puppy so my bad lol  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

I apologize, I misread it as on a teammate and not against a teammate. Running on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a new puppy so my bad lol  

My wife and I are in our early 70's and lost our best friend of 151/2 years a couple months ago. The void was so terrible that she went out and bought a new Golden Doodle puppy. The thing has its days and nights mixed up and is terrorizing us. Sorry for being a little harsh in my response to you .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with your interpretation, and that's the way I read it as well. But I don't know if the writer's use of words should be taken 100% literal in that case. I think more precise wording would be helpful in this case. If it said 'he bet on the over,' that would require no interpretation at all.

Agree but I would bet like $100 to win $20 that he bet the over. If not , there would be an even bigger "stink" going on. I was sick to see the Colts lose Rodgers but in all fairness that kind of bet really is taking advantage of inside information. If the gameplay was to run the daylights out of Taylor that game , Rodgers has a huge advantage making that bet. If the gameplay was the opposite and he bet the under , I'm guessing the league would suspend him to a longer period. But we just don't know ....could be he plays next year and then again maybe not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Agree but I would bet like $100 to win $20 that he bet the over. If not , there would be an even bigger "stink" going on. I was sick to see the Colts lose Rodgers but in all fairness that kind of bet really is taking advantage of inside information. If the gameplay was to run the daylights out of Taylor that game , Rodgers has a huge advantage making that bet. If the gameplay was the opposite and he bet the under , I'm guessing the league would suspend him to a longer period. But we just don't know ....could be he plays next year and then again maybe not.

Yup, agreed all around. Just being overly technical, which I do sometimes.

As for Rodgers, I think he'll be back in 2024. The league had a standard at the time, it was a one year suspension. That's a pretty steep penalty, for any transgression. Now it's two years, but I don't think they'll retroactively apply the harsher penalty, and I don't think that would hold up legally. 

As for the bet on JT, was there any indication of the game on which this bet was placed? I might have missed it, but I don't think so. If it was the Raiders game, that's inside information exemplified. New coach in the building, stresses that the offense is gonna get back to basics and feed the RB, JT is looking good at practice all week, the OL looks like they're all in sync for the first time in a while, etc... And then you tell your friend to drop $1,000 on the over for rushing yards... It's obvious how problematic that is, and how much it undermines legitimate gambling.

35 minutes ago, dw49 said:

My wife and I are in our early 70's and lost our best friend of 151/2 years a couple months ago. The void was so terrible that she went out and bought a new Golden Doodle puppy. The thing has its days and nights mixed up and is terrorizing us. Sorry for being a little harsh in my response to you .

Sorry to hear about your loss. It was another golden retriever or a kid, so my wife got a  puppy instead. Jokes on me though because I'm the only one that's been up with the puppy the past 3 nights lol She sleeps for 2-3 hours and then is back up. Gotta love crate training... Sister has her today so hopefully my nieces are playing with her enough that she will sleep a bit more tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

After losing our golden retriever in 22 we started fostering through a golden rescue. We have a 9 month old pup who we officially adopted in Nov. We added a 3 month old a few weeks ago. She is so good and has slept through night day one. I think having the older pup to play with has helped a ton. They do get going hard when they play. Good luck with your new pup.!

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

It was out there when he first got suspended that he bet the under on a JT prop. The way the Colts immediately sent a good player packing only made that seem more true to me. It was also in the media that he knew he was under investigation since January of 2023 but the Colts weren’t told until after the draft.  

I guess if we knew which game it was it’s pretty easy to know if he bet the over or under.  Either way he was using inside information and it was why he was suspended indefinitely.  At the time I didn’t understand why they didn’t leave him on the suspended list.  Something in the details really PO’d the Colts. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It was out there when he first got suspended that he bet the under on a JT prop. The way the Colts immediately sent a good player packing only made that seem more true to me. It was also in the media that he knew he was under investigation since January of 2023 but the Colts weren’t told until after the draft.  

Show me .... I don't think you saw that. Anyway ... here's something  whether or not true , we dont know.

"One of the bets placed was a $1,000 prop bet on the over/under rushing yards by Jonathan Taylor. The bet hit but Rodgers says it was someone else using his account.

“That report is true, with it being $1,000, but that wasn’t made from my device. At the time it was placed, I was actually on the field warming up for a game,” Rodgers said."

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm confused...youre saying the Colts are cutting JT?

8 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm confused...youre saying the Colts are cutting JT?

Sorry….  Brain cramp.   Meant Rodgers.  

I’ve done that with Rodgers in the past, this is not the first time.   Thanks for catching that.   Too many thoughts swimming around in this old head.  

For that I’ll give myself a well deserved DOH!!    :facepalm:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

After losing our golden retriever in 22 we started fostering through a golden rescue. We have a 9 month old pup who we officially adopted in Nov. We added a 3 month old a few weeks ago. She is so good and has slept through night day one. I think having the older pup to play with has helped a ton. They do get going hard when they play. Good luck with your new pup.!

Thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Show me .... I don't think you saw that. Anyway ... here's something  whether or not true , we dont know.

"One of the bets placed was a $1,000 prop bet on the over/under rushing yards by Jonathan Taylor. The bet hit but Rodgers says it was someone else using his account.

“That report is true, with it being $1,000, but that wasn’t made from my device. At the time it was placed, I was actually on the field warming up for a game,” Rodgers said."

Rodgers certainly could have been feeding his associate who had his account information on JT. Remember JT was having ankle issues that season 

10 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Rodgers certainly could have been feeding his associate who had his account information on JT. Remember JT was having ankle issues that season 

This is stuff we don't know . It's all part of why he was suspended and I don't think I've ever read anyone saying he shouldn't have been.