Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing Pittman to other WRs

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with your last point, always have.  The term number one WR definition is subjective and can change from person to person.  To me when you are your teams top WR and provide one third of your teams offense you are number one.  Add into that I don’t think there are 32 better WRs than him in the league he’s clearly a number one.  I think what some want when they say number one WR is an elite WR like Harrison or Wayne was.  Pittman isn’t that but he’s very clearly the Colts number one WR and a player they can’t afford to lose.  

I think Pittman looks at the tag much like you, when asked about it he said who wouldn’t getting paid what the cap amount is.  Like you said Pittman is smart.  He knows the Colts can’t afford to lose him.  So he’s just working the situation to get the best deal he can which is smart on his part.  I think he knows he’s staying in Indy one way or another.

I think he’s staying.  But if Ballard has to tag him it hampers him in completing his other FA signing.  He would take up a large amount of cap space until he’s signed to an extension.  That’s why I would be surprised if he doesn’t sign before a tag is required.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with your last point, always have.  The term number one WR definition is subjective and can change from person to person.  To me when you are your teams top WR and provide one third of your teams offense you are number one.  Add into that I don’t think there are 32 better WRs than him in the league he’s clearly a number one.  I think what some want when they say number one WR is an elite WR like Harrison or Wayne was.  Pittman isn’t that but he’s very clearly the Colts number one WR and a player they can’t afford to lose.  

Yup, everyone uses all these different terms interchangeably, and no one seems to mean the same thing. Then when one point is countered, the goal posts are moved. 

I think the opinions of Pittman are probably more unified than all the discourse suggests. No one views him as elite. He's a good player, but if he's our best WR, we're probably going to be limited. Our offense needs a more dynamic receiver. I don't think any of that is even controversial. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yup, everyone uses all these different terms interchangeably, and no one seems to mean the same thing. Then when one point is countered, the goal posts are moved. 

I think the opinions of Pittman are probably more unified than all the discourse suggests. No one views him as elite. He's a good player, but if he's our best WR, we're probably going to be limited. Our offense needs a more dynamic receiver. I don't think any of that is even controversial. 

Yeah I agree with it all but like I also keep saying signing Pittman doesn’t keep them from trying to find that elite WR.  They can do both.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, IndyScribe said:

What's the point of this thread again? To bash Pittman? He's a good WR. People expect your WR1 to put up 1500 yards + 10 TDs and that's not realistic. Look at the Chiefs and Ravens. They don't have a WR1 yet they're both in the AFCCG. It's more about having a variety of weapons rather than one guy. I do agree Colts need another pass catcher but it doesn't have to come in the form of a WR (Brock Bowers please). Pittman definitely needs to be re-signed. Expecting him to take under 20 million is unrealistic. Same people saying they'd let him walk if he wanted too much are going to be the same people complaining about the lack of receiving options next year. 

You're really overhyping Love. He's been good, not great. Certainly not an elite QB or a top 5 one in the NFL (those are the guys that win rings, Purdy aside). Part of the reason why Love has been playing well is his supporting cast. Are you gonna say Baker Mayfield is an elite QB now? Colts liking Love was never confirmed either. It was just a baseless rumor that came from nowhere. Just because you like someone doesn't mean they're good. Christian Watson isn't lighting up the NFL (and he has drop problems). Ballard has been hitting on most of his picks, which is important. Seems like you hate Ballard too much to realize that these players aren't anything special. 

Who made the playoffs this year? Who looks to have their franchise qb?

On 1/25/2024 at 7:33 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Add into that I don’t think there are 32 better WRs than him in the league he’s clearly a number one.

The term #1 WR is over used and not really what matters.

The real question isnt about being top 32, its is he good enough to be the best receiver on a super bowl team? 

Are we content with him as our best WR or do we need someone even better to actually get in the hunt?

• Like 1