Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Merged - Latest Rumor: Tj Houshmanzahdeh Headed To Indy?

Coltsman1788

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. They felt it would reduce the speed of some players coming down full-speed who already had a running start. It is designed to increase actual blocking instead of simply throwing your body in front of a player going full-tilt.

I really don't buy that logic. By the time a guy gets 20 yards downfield, he's going full speed regardless of whether he had a running start or not. It will take him longer to get 20 yards downfield if he has to start from standstill instead of taking a running start, but he's not going any faster or slower at that point. It will take the coverage team longer to get to the returner and allow for a longer return if they can't take a running start, but the coverage team is still going to be going full tilt by the time they get to the returner.

I really don't buy that logic. By the time a guy gets 20 yards downfield, he's going full speed regardless of whether he had a running start or not. It will take him longer to get 20 yards downfield if he has to start from standstill instead of taking a running start, but he's not going any faster or slower at that point. It will take the coverage team longer to get to the returner and allow for a longer return if they can't take a running start, but the coverage team is still going to be going full tilt by the time they get to the returner.

Not exactly. 5 yards makes a whole lot of difference in terms of highest speed reached especially with a running start. It makes sense. If a player is willing to return it from 5 yards deep in the end zone and has the blocking set up to do it, he could break it or either be down at the 10. Maximizes the decision making of the returner.

I wouldn’t.

It could come down to which QB he would like to play for. Personally I wouldn’t mind us signing him. Other than using a roster spot that could be used for depth somewhere else, it couldn’t hurt.

Agree. What I meant earlier is that in the view of a lot of analysts (who are usually wrong when it comes to predicting the Colts season), the Vikes are about on the same level as us. And some could make a case for McNabb being an top tier QB, so that may not factor as much. Plus, he's likely get more playing time with them.

Nice what are you on??? He was guaranteed 7 million for Seattle.. Regardless.. Drip.... They didn't actually say "hey take" 7 million to leave the team lol!!!!! I could care less if the Colts sign him or not but it is very funny to see people think he's not a proven veteran WR that could help the team... Fatsworth for the Pats is a great example, an incredibly high paid player for Wash(because Daniel Synder is a *) who eventually went to the Pats for next to nothing. Were talking about a top tier receiver coming to the Colts for a great price (if it happens). If he gets signed great if not no biggie, but he IS a top tier reciever..

Dude, Im not gonna keep arguing about this because TJ is not even worth an argument. He is no where even close to a "top tier reciever" just isn't brother! You are stuck in 2008 if you think he is.

Not exactly. 5 yards makes a whole lot of difference in terms of highest speed reached especially with a running start. It makes sense. If a player is willing to return it from 5 yards deep in the end zone and has the blocking set up to do it, he could break it or either be down at the 10. Maximizes the decision making of the returner.

Yes, it gives the return team more time to make a decision and set up blocking. I'm not disputing that. I'm not saying that it is not a benefit to the return team to not allow the coverage team a running start. What I AM disputing is the notion that the coverage guys won't be going as fast when they get to the returner because they didn't have a running start. It only takes 10 to 15 yards to accelerate to top speed from standstill. After those initial 10 to 15 yards, the coverage team isn't moving any faster with a running start than they were without one. Certainly by the time they get to the returner they're not running any faster. It just took longer to cover those initial 10 to 15 yards starting from standstill than it would have with a running start.

Yes, it gives the return team more time to make a decision and set up blocking. I'm not disputing that. I'm not saying that it is not a benefit to the return team to not allow the coverage team a running start. What I AM disputing is the notion that the coverage guys won't be going as fast when they get to the returner because they didn't have a running start. It only takes 10 to 15 yards to accelerate to top speed from standstill. After those initial 10 to 15 yards, the coverage team isn't moving any faster with a running start than they were without one. Certainly by the time they get to the returner they're not running any faster. It just took longer to cover those initial 10 to 15 yards starting from standstill than it would have with a running start.

They're really not, the 15 yards that it takes to reach full acceleration use to be done before the ball was even kicked but with the new rule in effect, players must have a foot on the 30 yard line before taking off, meaning that the full acceleration wont be reached till the 50 where blockers on the return team are ready to meet them, forcing blocking schemes and overall will and strength to be the determining factor, not head starts.

I havent read all this thread, but in general when it comes to rumors like this either about TJ or a guy like Moss.....

People like to say, the Colts dont need any more WR....

We'll IF they are all healthy, probably not.....but--Collie is one big hit from being out of football, Gonzo is the Bob Sanders of the offense and White is already injured.

Hence, they are a couple of plays away from potentially being down to 2 good receivers.

I dont see how it makes sense tbh, i mean the colts have more needs in other areas than WR why not the line. No one from the colts organization has shot this down yet so it may be true we'll see.

Right, but our other perceived needs (OL and DB) may come at a heftier price. This, if true, is relatively low-risk and bites the injury bug in the butt before it hits Gonzo; plus White's already down.

LETS SEE GARCON OR TJ ILL TAKE TJ COLLIE OR TJ ILL TAKE TJ

BE REAL TJ NUMBERS WILL BE THRU THE ROOF WITH PEYTON MANNING SIGN HIM

I have no idea what you just said, but since you rarely post anything logical, I'll just assume you were typing with crayons.

He's a good player even if he is aging a bit.

However, why are the Colts getting receivers when they need linemen?

Lineman are more expensive. Good ones are, anyway. This may end up a low-risk, high-reward sort of deal for a guy who runs excellent routes. I don't expect him to supplant Collie (who simply can't be covered when healthy). Even Garcon, really, but it certainly gives the latter notice, along with Gonzo, who both have contracts coming up.

According to Adam Schefter via twitter, TJ is working out with the :flyingelvis: tomorrow, and his former teammate Chad Ochocinco.

Even if we are looking into getting a veteran WR I think I'd rather have Randy Moss anyways, imo he has a little more in the tank left than Housh.

Pats are really wanting a super bowl this year (in Indy mind you) if they can a avoid problems with their new players running their mouths. They're going to be scary as ever, ugh I hate it!!! 

Would be a good way to stick it in our faces with the Patriots winning a super bowl @ Indy.. Wish they would just go away already 

Good I hope he does, I don't know why anyone would think he couldn't be their 4th WR!!! :) great depth, proven vet and yes he is a truly elite WR.. Ez #4 spot....

Housh going to pats is what they are saying. pats are always working to improve. report from nfl.com

A player only becomes "GOOD" when your team wants him or shows interest, then all the fans go crazy for a name-brand,,,,,but TJ Housh is no-longer a name brand. He has gone from a Dell Computer to a Clone computer, Just isnt the same and never will be. WR's start declining well before his current age.... just ask Jerry Rice. Rice thought he would never lose his skills till the age of 40, he found out the hard way.

ARGH....we can't even land has-been's.

So long as our current receiving corps remains healthy, we are more than fine. Prior to AC getting hurt, he was rapidly becoming Peyton's top target, which, inadvertently, makes him one of the top receivers in the league. Add in Wayne, Gonzalez, Clarke, Garcon and even Tamme and we are deep in wr's / TE's. If we were going to add anyone, I would want a Moss'esque receiver who can stretch the field and / or Peyton can just throw it up there and the wr comes down with it. That type of receiver has never existed with us in the Manning era. A big burly wr like Andre Johnson / Moss / L Fitz / V Jackson / Calvin Johnson / etc would simply be awesome. Obviously we are in the FA period, so it's slim pickens. Honestly, we need more help in the O Line and Defensive backfield than anywhere else. Let's not forget the undefeated season with the Pats where they had Moss. They lost that game due to defense which is exactly where the colts brass should be investing. Forget Housh..........let him go to hoody and the rest of their latest sexy free agent pickups. So long as our receivers stay healthy and don't go on IR, we are more than good.

Housh going to pats is what they are saying. pats are always working to improve. report from nfl.com

And we aren't working to improve? You do know that the Patriots have been worse than us - even in the playoffs - the last 6 years, right?

So long as our current receiving corps remains healthy, we are more than fine. Prior to AC getting hurt, he was rapidly becoming Peyton's top target, which, inadvertently, makes him one of the top receivers in the league. Add in Wayne, Gonzalez, Clarke, Garcon and even Tamme and we are deep in wr's / TE's. If we were going to add anyone, I would want a Moss'esque receiver who can stretch the field and / or Peyton can just throw it up there and the wr comes down with it. That type of receiver has never existed with us in the Manning era. A big burly wr like Andre Johnson / Moss / L Fitz / V Jackson / Calvin Johnson / etc would simply be awesome. Obviously we are in the FA period, so it's slim pickens. Honestly, we need more help in the O Line and Defensive backfield than anywhere else. Let's not forget the undefeated season with the Pats where they had Moss. They lost that game due to defense which is exactly where the colts brass should be investing. Forget Housh..........let him go to hoody and the rest of their latest sexy free agent pickups. So long as our receivers stay healthy and don't go on IR, we are more than good.

Moss wouldn't "stretch the field" for more than his first 4-5 games during the season. After that, defenses get a beat on him with plenty of game film to reference, and then he'd become a liability: capable only of performing one route.

And we aren't working to improve? You do know that the Patriots have been worse than us - even in the playoffs - the last 6 years, right?

Moss wouldn't "stretch the field" for more than his first 4-5 games during the season. After that, defenses get a beat on him with plenty of game film to reference, and then he'd become a liability: capable only of performing one route.

You may be right, but Moss certainly falls into the "throw it up and catch it" category which is a kind of receiver we just don't have. Moss catches balls no one should catch and he does it effortlessly. I feel like if he were paired with Manning and still has the desire to compete and win a championship, he could be a fit in Indy. In Indy, Peyton is the coach on the field. In NE, it's all about the hoody. Remember the snow storm where a few players showed up late due to the inclement weather? That was the beginning of the end for Moss and that's all on hoody. In Indy it's a player's locker room, not the coaches. Big difference. We could debate on which one is better...........history says hoody's platform is better. After all, he's won much more with much less. Just my opinion.

As a fan of the entire roster, it would sadden me slightly to see him signed because I would want to see one of those 53 roster spots given to some new kid that has a lot of potential and upside. On the other hand we are adding depth to our offensive front. I posted a thread a while back asking if Gilreath could possibly replace White simply because they are both receivers and can return kicks *Gilreath has better PR and KR stats in college than White). Now it would appear TJ would take Gilreath's potential spot on the roster. Personally it would be a bitter sweet moment for me if TJ got signed because I would love to see TJ in action with Peyton, but I would also like to see Gilreath develop as a player from game-time experience.

That means this year they might be coming down right at the goal line, or a yard or two deep at the most. I don't know of hardly a single decent return guy in the league that wouldn't take the ball and run it out if he takes it 2 yards deep in the end zone.

That statement shows how much preseason you've watched so far. I watched about 6-7 games this week and saw MANY kicks going to the back of the endzone. Most were halfway through the endzone.

i agree with what your saying on moss.(dont get me wrong) but if we just used him sparingly, i think it would be a different story. when we played the titans last year at lucas, they didnt play moss too much. but i remember 1 play that they sent him in for...he made an AWESOME leaping catch for a first down right in front of me. i remember thinking that if we had him, and just used him on certain situations...i thought he could be a huge asset for us! the guy looked like he caught the ball about 2 feet over our defender. he is 1 of those guys that if you sent him in, defenses would KNOW that he has to be fully covered. i know he prolly wouldnt start for us BUT i would love to have him on the team! he could really spread out the defense with as many weapons as we have. just my opinion

Pats had Housh and Sharper in for a work out today. Buzz is they will be offering a contract to Sharper. Says things went well for Sharper. Kind of funny we are not hearing the same with TJ. There has been no official word on the Pats current level of interest regarding him. For those thinking its set that he's signing with the Pats, they only worked him out. Remember we signed Tommie Harris right after the Pats worked him out. So it is still up in the air. Some report TJ's first preference is still the Colts but Indy's offer isn't the highest.

That statement shows how much preseason you've watched so far. I watched about 6-7 games this week and saw MANY kicks going to the back of the endzone. Most were halfway through the endzone.

Nice snide comment...yeah, 1 week of preseason makes an entire regular season, doesn't it?!?! In preseason, players are playing to make an impression on coaches and other teams. Most kickers kicking in the preseason are not the team's regular kicker. If you watch all those games closely, you might actually notice that. Oh, btw, of those that were halfway through the endzone, how many were run out? Quite a few of the games I saw; there were actually very few touchbacks. I've already spelled out my feelings on this on another post earlier in the thread; you might want to go back and read those posts.

You may be right, but Moss certainly falls into the "throw it up and catch it" category which is a kind of receiver we just don't have. Moss catches balls no one should catch and he does it effortlessly. I feel like if he were paired with Manning and still has the desire to compete and win a championship, he could be a fit in Indy. In Indy, Peyton is the coach on the field. In NE, it's all about the hoody. Remember the snow storm where a few players showed up late due to the inclement weather? That was the beginning of the end for Moss and that's all on hoody. In Indy it's a player's locker room, not the coaches. Big difference. We could debate on which one is better...........history says hoody's platform is better. After all, he's won much more with much less. Just my opinion.

He didn't have less. Not even close. He worked with a bigger market, and therefore, a larger attraction; better offensive line, better special teams, and a better defense. He's had studs on every side of the ball that he's then been able to pawn off for phenomenal value in terms of draft picks.

"Hoody" has had the best stock of players for almost 10 years.

i agree with what your saying on moss.(dont get me wrong) but if we just used him sparingly, i think it would be a different story. when we played the titans last year at lucas, they didnt play moss too much. but i remember 1 play that they sent him in for...he made an AWESOME leaping catch for a first down right in front of me. i remember thinking that if we had him, and just used him on certain situations...i thought he could be a huge asset for us! the guy looked like he caught the ball about 2 feet over our defender. he is 1 of those guys that if you sent him in, defenses would KNOW that he has to be fully covered. i know he prolly wouldnt start for us BUT i would love to have him on the team! he could really spread out the defense with as many weapons as we have. just my opinion

If we can't spread the field with Clark, Collie, and Wayne, then it's time to call this era officially closed. Clark and Collie simple can't be covered in the middle of the field. Period. If teams start chipping Clark at the line, and doubling Collie over the top, who's covering Wayne? If teams continue to double Wayne, Collie and Clark will go to town on those poor linebackers and safeties stuck in single duty.

When healthy, the current corps put up 15 TD's to just 2 INT's in 4 games. Manning was on pace to ridiculous, record setting numbers.

I'd rather rip off 15 yard chunks at a time by dominating the middle of the field than bringing in a guy who may or may not be motivated enough to catch a deep one every once and a while.

Latest update according to Rich Smith of AllsportsIntel..."Sources say TJ Houshmanzadeh will pass on Pats and Vikes...Colts still a possiblility." He is now tweeting that there is another mystery team interested.

Man...this has been going on awhile now. Make a decision already Housh!

He didn't have less. Not even close. He worked with a bigger market, and therefore, a larger attraction; better offensive line, better special teams, and a better defense. He's had studs on every side of the ball that he's then been able to pawn off for phenomenal value in terms of draft picks.

"Hoody" has had the best stock of players for almost 10 years.

If we can't spread the field with Clark, Collie, and Wayne, then it's time to call this era officially closed. Clark and Collie simple can't be covered in the middle of the field. Period. If teams start chipping Clark at the line, and doubling Collie over the top, who's covering Wayne? If teams continue to double Wayne, Collie and Clark will go to town on those poor linebackers and safeties stuck in single duty.

When healthy, the current corps put up 15 TD's to just 2 INT's in 4 games. Manning was on pace to ridiculous, record setting numbers.

I'd rather rip off 15 yard chunks at a time by dominating the middle of the field than bringing in a guy who may or may not be motivated enough to catch a deep one every once and a while.

well we will just have to see what happens. im sure the polians are on top of it and manning prolly has a little say also. i agree with what your saying... but i just dont think they will all stay healthy the whole season. why not bring him in and still play the middle of the field with a deep threat every so often. then you also have a little insurance. just my opinion. if they do sign another receiver, the colts must see it that way too. if they dont, then they must see it your way.

He's going to sign with the PATS... pretty reliable blogs out there in cyber land. Pretty much a done deal,,,needs one more look in person by the PATS and then he's with them. He thinks PATS have a better shot at the Super Bowl

Too bad you were wrong. He passed on the Patriots (and the Vikings), and has declared his persistent interest in the Colts and some other team that remains a mystery.

Too bad you were wrong. He passed on the Patriots (and the Vikings), and has declared his persistent interest in the Colts and some other team that remains a mystery.

yep...the faith people have in someone visiting a team.

Blogs..pfft..blubber:)

well we will just have to see what happens. im sure the polians are on top of it and manning prolly has a little say also. i agree with what your saying... but i just dont think they will all stay healthy the whole season. why not bring him in and still play the middle of the field with a deep threat every so often. then you also have a little insurance. just my opinion. if they do sign another receiver, the colts must see it that way too. if they dont, then they must see it your way.

Or some third way none of us are envisioning. :D

If he's cheap, I'm not opposed to bringing in more talent to work out. We all agree that we need to win (a lot) during the next five years. That's all there is to it. I sincerely doubt, however, that the magic ingredient for putting us over the top will come from an aging, "insurance-only" WR.

yep...the faith people have in someone visiting a team.

Blogs..pfft..blubber:)

lol

So true. He may not have liked the environment in New England, or the offensive system. Perhaps he's always wanted to play with Peyton (or whoever this mystery team is) and the Colts. We don't know the reasons, but for some reason, everyone assumed, "Oh no. He's visiting a good, rival team; he's going to sign there."