Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Merged - Latest Rumor: Tj Houshmanzahdeh Headed To Indy?

Coltsman1788

For those wishing for another weapon for Peyton here is the latest rumor. It has been alluded to on several different team based web-sites below:

http://ebonybird.com/2011/08/12/tj-houshmandzadeh-to-indy/

http://gmenhq.com/2011/08/12/rumor-houshmanzadeh-to-play-with-peyton-not-eli/

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/8/12/2359303/are-the-colts-going-to-sign-t-j-houshmandzadeh

Again just a rumor at this point. We'll see if this has legs.

If this does go down though...I would like the addition.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A one year deal to Housh isn't going to turn our wide receiver group into an old folks home. You can never have enough weapons. Especially with as fragile Gonzo and Collie (concussion) can be.

Yeah, but if you're going to add a luxury player, you get Moss. At least he has a skill set that we don't already have with the other WRs.

Probably a money thing.

Yeah, but if you're going to add a luxury player, you get Moss. At least he has a skill set that we don't already have with the other WRs.

Probably a money thing.

I agree that it is more than likely a money thing. Also Housh doesn't bring the type of heavy baggage that Moss would. Housh has his own issues but nothing that Peyton couldn't keep in check. I think Housh in Peyton's hands would be a good thing for us. At the very least this gives us more insurance in the event of potential injury.

This is why the Colts need another WR for those of you who are clueless! 1.How many balls did Wayne and Garcon drop last year, to many 2. We have sure hands Garcon, 3. If Collie get's hit again (God forbid) it's over, 3. Gonzo is not that good to me. We need a TO like WR on the other side that can go deep like the Colts use to about 4 yrs ago!

A one year deal to Housh isn't going to turn our wide receiver group into an old folks home. You can never have enough weapons. Especially with as fragile Gonzo and Collie (concussion) can be.

AGREED I would actually like this move. I think housh & peyton would click quite well. :coltslogo::1colts:

This is why the Colts need another WR for those of you who are clueless! 1.How many balls did Wayne and Garcon drop last year, to many 2. We have sure hands Garcon, 3. If Collie get's hit again (God forbid) it's over, 3. Gonzo is not that good to me. We need a TO like WR on the other side that can go deep like the Colts use to about 4 yrs ago!

YES SIR ! :1colts::huthut:

This signing makes A LOT of sense "IF" it happens........with the injury history of Gonzalez, the concussion issues of Collie and Blair White on the PuP, TJ can come in and bring an experienced route runner with a big body and good hands to handle the underneath routes. If Collie and Gonzo stay healthy AND we have TJ that would be A LOT of talent for number 18 to throw the rock to!

It's a win - win situation for the Colts.

I understand why they are looking at WRs. Collie is one good hit away from being done for the season and Gonzo is made out of glass and I am surprised he made it this long without an injury. They are probably looking at upgrading that 5th WR spot because if something horrible goes wrong having White be your third WR is not ideal. Housh will come cheap on a one year deal and would provide a better safety net then White.

This makes sense. Especially in a 1yr low salary with incentives. He was a sold #2 receiver in Cinny with Palmer.

How many years ago was that? He's got issues (not as bad as Moss and TO) that the Colts' clubhouse doesn't need.

The WR situation is fine and there are good young players coming up ... IMHO the Colts' Front Office needs to stop rummaging through the garbage and focus on more pressing needs like the secondary.

I guess Blair White might be out of the mix, or hurt more than expected. I would also expect Gilreath to take over the KR/PR if that's the case. I still don't know why we aren't trying to get people in the secondary instead of worrying about a position we are stacked in. Heck I would prefer another O-Lineman over another receiver. That also doesn't make sense with Polian's tweet in response to Moss when he said "why do some of you guys want us to sign Moss? We have Reggie Gonzo Austin and Pierre." Something just doesn't make sense here. I don't think white is illegible for the practice squad because he's been in the league too long.

How many years ago was that? He's got issues (not as bad as Moss and TO) that the Colts' clubhouse doesn't need.

The WR situation is fine and there are good young players coming up ... IMHO the Colts' Front Office needs to stop rummaging through the garbage and focus on more pressing needs like the secondary.

If they refuse to address the problems we have on the Defense then I'm all for signing another WR. If we can't stop other points from happening we better be able to score a ton.

Honestly I think TJ is a good player, & could help, but I think it would stunt the growth of Collie & Garcon, and I am not sure we need him. I also think the the Colts would be wiser to bring in a Safety or CB to provide some depth in the case of injury. Probably a better investment.

Even if we got Housh, I don't see him starting ahead of Collie or Garcon for that matter. Those guys know the system better and should start over him in my opinion. He'd be #4 ahead of Blair White, who recently was injured during training camp. Housh's primary value comes into play in the event that 1 or 2 of our receivers (namely Gonzo & Collie) go down to injury or concussion during the course of the season. For example, it's the difference between potentially being able to provide Peyton with Wayne, Garcon, & Housh vs. Wayne, Garcon, Blair White as targets in the playoffs. For one year, I'd prefer Housh to White as our #4.

Also Colts might still address the secondary at some point. We are not talking about mutually exclusive options here.

Peyton wanted us to pick up T.J. when he was a F.A. a few years back.

Maybe Peyton thinks he can bring Housh back into NFL relevancy.

If we can sign him for cheap, he could teach our young WR's alot, and adding a player with his character and leadership can't be all bad.

I'm still skeptical that this deal will go down though...

I actually like the idea of housh comeing to the colts,line him up in slot beside wayne or collie,think about it,housh is a good receiver he has good hands to,wayne and garcon out wide and clark & housh splitting the middle......if you ask me thats a db's worst nightmare,or we could utilize him to get collie and other guys some rest in between...

Housh is a physical player that can get some separation. Put him in with Wayne and Clark and watch the field open up! Now, if we can fix the O line issue and give Manning time to throw and have routes open up, man, the Colts would be smokin on offense! Thumbs up!

And why do people want him? He played one year in Seattle, had a good year but Seattle did not think he was good enough to retain. He went to Baltimore and only started 3 games, had 30 receptions and a few TDs. Neither of those teams are as good or deep at WR as the Colts. If the Colts sign him it would be good security in case something happens to two of the top 4 WRs but that is about all he would provide.

One other thing to keep in mind...TJ has returning experience. I would love to see him take the kicks and make some moves in the open field. I think not only does he bring depth to our receiving corp, but our return game would instantly be upgraded. Could be interesting...

And why do people want him? He played one year in Seattle, had a good year but Seattle did not think he was good enough to retain. He went to Baltimore and only started 3 games, had 30 receptions and a few TDs. Neither of those teams are as good or deep at WR as the Colts. If the Colts sign him it would be good security in case something happens to two of the top 4 WRs but that is about all he would provide.

I actually always wanted Housh to come to the Colts ...but that was like 4 years ago when he was still hauling in 70-80 receptions a year and he and Manning had good chemistry at the Pro Bowl.

He's washed up now at this point in his career and I could only see him working exclusively out of the slot and as a bench player in the event that Blair White is more injured than is being let on and if Collie and / or Gonzalez are hurt.

To me, he does not present any upgrade to any facet of the Colts passing attack by virtue of him being mainly a slot / posession-type receiver.

Now I know you'll disagree with me on this one, but if the Colts were to sign a FA WR, I'd rather they sign Moss as at least he has a potential to upgrade the role Garcon plays for a year at the cost of continuity in his development.

Housh to me brings nothing to the table other than purely as an insurance policy (similar to Ricky Proehl in 2006)

TJ was pretty much used as a possession receiver in :ravens: , and :seahawks: for that matter. Whenever I watched a Ravens game, I remember TJ always seems to catch the ball on 3rd down. That's what I recall anyway. As many times as I got frustrated seeing us not convert a 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 last year, he actually could be an asset. That and Delone Carter. I would almost rather see TJ out there instead of Garcon on 3rd down until Garcon proves he can be consistent.

On a separate note, if we actually do sign TJ, does anyone think we will do much of the 5 WR formation this year?

Housh is a physical player that can get some separation. Put him in with Wayne and Clark and watch the field open up! Now, if we can fix the O line issue and give Manning time to throw and have routes open up, man, the Colts would be smokin on offense! Thumbs up!

I saw him barely get any separation last year - how would he open the field up when his skillset is primarily that of a slot receiver, at this point in his career?

Which is why I want him.