Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welcome To Indianapolis Coby Fleener

LucasOilStadium

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were going to draft a tight end this year. The only drawback to Fleener is his blocking. You can coach up someones blocking technique, you really can't teach someone how to be a playmaker. This guy has a ceiling that's much higher than any other tight end this year. This guy could be a franchise staple.

You crazy canuks, always late and blaming the train. I jumped out of my seat and frightened my neighbors when they made the pick.

haha, I was suppose to be back at 6:30 in a ride from Plattsburgh to Montreal, and the stupid thing had some mechanical problems and with the internet access being very limiited, I couldn't get on. Last time I do that.

Well, I don't blame you, it's the best pick they could have made. Now, Ta'amu gets picked by the Colts in the 3rd and then we can start talking about parades and what-not.

Looking foward to many dunks over the goal post after TDs!!!

We havent had a big weapon at 6-6 250 in awhile so Im looking foward to the possibilities. Hopefully he is a very hard worker who plays with a chip on his shoulder. He just needs to add some more muscle and work on his blocking some and he should be fine.

yeah. you cant coach up 6'6" 4.5 speed with good hands. excellent route runner. blocking we can coach up. heck, clark was a horrible blocker. I think Fleener can be one of top TE's in the NFL.

Many scouts have Fleener figured as a better blocker than whats being reported. His talent in regard to blocking has been described as a "Hit 'n' turn" variety, excellent chipper whom can buy time for his QB, spin out and make the catch.

Like I said in another thread it's one thing to get a guy who is a weapon for your rookie QB it's another to get a guy who is a weapon for your rookie QB who was your rookie QB's go to guy in college. Fleener fills a need, we had one tightend on the roster in Eldridge and Eldridge is not a pass catcher. We didn't really reach on him, some had him going in the middle of the first round so you could argue he slipped to us just as much as you can that we reached. If we reached it was by about two or three spots that's not really a reach. I can see how someone might have wanted someone else but it's very hard to dislike this pick other than just on the grounds of it's not who you wanted the Colts to draft.

Many scouts have Fleener figured as a better blocker than whats being reported. His talent in regard to blocking has been described as a "Hit 'n' turn" variety, excellent chipper whom can buy time for his QB, spin out and make the catch.

In my opinion, and I've watch lots of tapes from him, he gets the job done and he gives Luck enough time to throw the ball. He isn't spectacular, but he's not horrible and he's getting better.

Like I said in another thread it's one thing to get a guy who is a weapon for your rookie QB it's another to get a guy who is a weapon for your rookie QB who was your rookie QB's go to guy in college. Fleener fills a need, we had one tightend on the roster in Eldridge and Eldridge is not a pass catcher. We didn't really reach on him, some had him going in the middle of the first round so you could argue he slipped to us just as much as you can that we reached. If we reached it was by about two or three spots that's not really a reach. I can see how someone might have wanted someone else but it's very hard to dislike this pick other than just on the grounds of it's not who you wanted the Colts to draft.

We drafted the undisputed top prospect at his position, a guy with prototype size and speed, in the second round. I agree with you, no way that's reaching. I think it's a steal. That it happens to be at a position of great need is just gravy.

congrats.gif

In my opinion, and I've watch lots of tapes from him, he gets the job done and he gives Luck enough time to throw the ball. He isn't spectacular, but he's not horrible and he's getting better.

Coach 'em up, Andy!

lol....Now those dark clouds are blowing away, we finally have much to be excited about as our Colts are taking form. The questionmarks are disappearing one by one. Love it!

Your point is well taken. I'm not thrilled with his blocking, but it isn't like Stanford spread everyone out and chucked it all over the lot. They ran, and ran some more, and then ran it. And Fleener was on the field and blocking more often then he was catching passes. What did he have this year, 34 catches? He blocked first, and caught second. That was the Stanford offense. I think he'll be fine as a blocker, and frankly, I can't see that being his primary role any way.

'nuff said!!!

lets hope we can do as well in round 3 as we did in the first 2 rounds

Your point is well taken. I'm not thrilled with his blocking, but it isn't like Stanford spread everyone out and chucked it all over the lot. They ran, and ran some more, and then ran it. And Fleener was on the field and blocking more often then he was catching passes. What did he have this year, 34 catches? He blocked first, and caught second. That was the Stanford offense. I think he'll be fine as a blocker, and frankly, I can't see that being his primary role any way.

Can't argue with that.

Colts fans should get familiar with a certain phrase being spewed ad nauseum from Bob Lamey's mouth; "Fleener TOUCHDOWN on the deep seam route".

Fleener works that seam like Chinese sweatshop worker.

Would you guys take Jermichael Finley(almost exact size as Fleener), Rob Gronkowski, or Jimmy Graham in the 1st or 2nd? Pass catching TEs are becoming more of a need in the nfl.look how they created mismatches and shredded teams this past year. We just grabbed possibly the next one in line of the TEs mentioned above. jermichael Finley, who I would take with a 1st or 2nd pick(preferrebly 2nd) has the same size as fleener but Fleener is faster than him and all the other TEs mentioned above.

Our 1st two choices...make sense..

They are in sync.....They are a tandem...

Other than corner.....we need to emphasize offense...

We must be a big time offensive team...again because of where we play and who we play.

More O-linemen...More weapons

Offense sells tickets, and offense wins championships in the modern NFL. :number1::cake::td::cheer::popcorn:

Not "a" TE. "THE" TE.....lol

TE's ain't what they used to be. They are relevant in today's pass first league as bonafide scoring threats. Fleener exploded after the combine far ahead of his class.

We have him now. I feel so happy about this pick I might launch a bottle rocket from the crack of my butt.

I'll flick the lighter.....

He was not my first choice but I said I would have been happy with many of them.

Can't deny the connection here. He seem thrilled too.

With needs in so many places I can't criticize.

We got the best rated QB and TE of this draft.

I am happy.

He is the next...better Gronkowski. How can anybody not like this pick???!!

Uh, seriously?

So he's going to break the NFL record for TDs in his 2nd year?

Sorry, he's got nothing on Gronk. Gronk's bigger, and certainly faster, and breaks tackles like no one else.

Edit: Eh, I'm being a bit hyperbolic, too. Fleener's size IS comparable.

But Gronk is already all-world, and is currently the best TE in the NFL, bar none.

Uh, seriously?

Sorry, he's got nothing on Gronk. Gronk's bigger, and certainly faster, and breaks tackles like no one else.

154 posts in this thread to chose to respond to, and that's your choice? :lol:

Forgive a Colts fan his enthusiasm on draft day.

Uh, seriously?

But Gronk is already all-world, and is currently the best TE in the NFL, bar none.

Who has also been in the NFL for two years. I'd be worried if Gronk wasn't better than him right now. Let's wait and see where Fleener is in two years. If he pans out like most think he will he could very well be one of the best tightends in the NFL himself.

I really doubt Fleener with a rookie QB (even if it's his best friend and college teammate) is going to break Gronk's record by his second year who was playing with a Hall of Fame QB in his prime. With that said it's pretty easy to see that the Colts are trying to load up at tightend and it's a copy cat league so who do you think the Colts are copying with this? I think that's what most Colts fans are getting at when they bring Gronk into this.

Uh, seriously?

Amazing. Peyton gone, the Colts go 2-14 last year and we STILL have a debate with Pats fans.

Lalalalala our TEs will be better lalalalalala

:rock: