Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bengals post game reaction

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bengals are an experienced playoff team. Despite not having burrow. Colts have to learn to win playoff type games. They don’t have that experience. Yesterdays result was not that shocking.

I agree and I know you remember I posted to you on Saturday, it would not shock me if we lost to the Bengals. They have playoff experience, was playing for their playoffs lives, and were at home. Browning is a backup but doesn't suck, so just because Burrow was out, I wasn't overlooking them. 

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

None of them should be a starting CB. Flowers did play well and looked good in his limited play. I won’t cry if they get rid of jones and baker and totally redo this entire secondary. Go get a vet and draft. Thats how you build depth.

Why would you get rid of Jones ?  He has a rookie contract and has fairly well. You don't think he should be kept for at least depth purposes ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Why would you get rid of Jones ?  He has a rookie contract and has fairly well. You don't think he should be kept for at least depth purposes ? 

I agree. We had experienced corners at the start of the season, and then lost them for unfortunate and unforeseeable reasons. These rookies were supposed to be the backups and learn. Instead they're experiencing trial by fire. Yes that means we're going to get burned alive and torched by good passing offenses and yes that means we have 0 shot at making much of a wave in the post-season, if we even reach it this year. But it also means we'll have experienced players at the position next season. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I am ok as a depth piece. I was mainly talking about these guys should not be relied on as starters.  But we have to get better. Seems fans are always scared to move on from average to get great.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree and I know you remember I posted to you on Saturday, it would not shock me if we lost to the Bengals. They have playoff experience, was playing for their playoffs lives, and were at home. Browning is a backup but doesn't suck, so just because Burrow was out, I wasn't overlooking them. 

Good thing is we don’t play teams rest of the way with that type of experience. Steelers have made it to playoffs but really no success last few years. 

• Like 1

I'll say this: 

Kudos to all of you who had grounded expectations going into this weekend. I must admit that being also a Bengals fan led me to being overly pessimistic towards the Bengals (who have a recorded history of screwing things up royally) and being overly optimistic towards the Colts. I guess I was blinded by hope. 

Sometimes I get overzealous when it comes to this team, and it's good to have posters who are more grounded in their expectations. 

And on that note, you guys should see some of the thoughts on social media from other Bengals fans. There are some who legitimately believe that Browning and the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders this year after beating us... Now THAT is over the top and outrageous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard needs to change his team build approach moving forward in order for this team to reach the next level. A sense of urgency on his part would help too. This slow LONG term approach of drafting (by moving DOWN) mostly mid tier types in lower rds with high RAS scores that he HOPES will pan out or by filling out the roster with low cost FAs that come with the "low risk / high reward" tag. Buckner is the exception and is considered elite at the DT position. Hopefully with Shane as hc he will push for a couple of EXPLOSIVE receivers that have to be accounted for by the opposition. A speed guy that has open field suddenness who can take it to the house on any given play.

On defense that secondary needs to be addressed because it's a weak link and I'm not so sure that some of these young guys are the answer anyway. It's also time to move on from Gus as dc. He represents the old school retread type of coach that appears to be stuck in his ways and unable to ADAPT to the modern day passing league. Receivers are faster and qbs (even backups) will pick apart ANY defense in which it allows it corners to sit 10 yds off the line of scrimmage on a regular. On the flip side Minshew doesn't get that luxury. The Colts have feasted on some BAD offenses as of late (Steelers next) but Cincy SHOWED there's more work that needs to be done but I'll take this season in a heartbeat because no one expected them to be relevant anyway. 

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but if you remove Gus and move to a new scheme  you have to reevaluate your entire defense to see if they fit the new scheme.  If they do move on I would hope they would do so on Black Monday or soon afterwards so they can fully focus on finding a replacement asap.  The biggest thing is to get him in so he can do evaluations and prepare for the draft.  Hopefully we already have a lot of pieces that fit well.

Personally, I am ready for a change at DC.  I think it's time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am ok as a depth piece. I was mainly talking about these guys should not be relied on as starters.  But we have to get better. Seems fans are always scared to move on from average to get great.

Jones has graded out as one of the best rookie corners this season. After one rough game against one of the best WRs in the game, you don't just write him off. I'm all for improving the roster, but Jones has been outstanding this season and there's no reason to think his play wouldn't just get better with more experience under his belt. I think Jones and Brents are our starters next season. We may sign a FA or 2 and draft a player, but I don't see us spending significant capital on that position this offseason.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure why colts are doing this. Maybe just to protect themselves with a chance at playoffs.

He was suspended for 6 games for a PED violation and immediately announced his retirement. Since he didn't serve that suspension as part of an active roster, I wonder if that suspension would kick in now?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll say this: 

Kudos to all of you who had grounded expectations going into this weekend. I must admit that being also a Bengals fan led me to being overly pessimistic towards the Bengals (who have a recorded history of screwing things up royally) and being overly optimistic towards the Colts. I guess I was blinded by hope. 

Sometimes I get overzealous when it comes to this team, and it's good to have posters who are more grounded in their expectations. 

And on that note, you guys should see some of the thoughts on social media from other Bengals fans. There are some who legitimately believe that Browning and the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders this year after beating us... Now THAT is over the top and outrageous.  

As a Bengals fan, I have to ask if you've ever seen a game at Paycor?  No one sat during the entire game yesterday!  It was nuts!!  My buddy has bad knees and was having none of it, so he watched what he could on the big screen.  We had decent seats so we played some cash for them, but couldn't really enjoy the game standing the whole time.  What was up with all the standing??!!

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

Jones has graded out as one of the best rookie corners this season. After one rough game against one of the best WRs in the game, you don't just write him off. I'm all for improving the roster, but Jones has been outstanding this season and there's no reason to think his play wouldn't just get better with more experience under his belt. I think Jones and Brents are our starters next season. We may sign a FA or 2 and draft a player, but I don't see us spending significant capital on that position this offseason.

He was suspended for 6 games for a PED violation and immediately announced his retirement. Since he didn't serve that suspension as part of an active roster, I wonder if that suspension would kick in now?

When your defense is one of the worst in giving up passing yards we can get better. Ballard deserves what he gets it’s he thinks it’s good enough. Why is everyone scared to get elite and ok with an average. If they change DC everything is going to have to be reevaluated on defense.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

As a Bengals fan, I have to ask if you've ever seen a game at Paycor?  No one sat during the entire game yesterday!  It was nuts!!  My buddy has bad knees and was having none of it, so he watched what he could on the big screen.  We had decent seats so we played some cash for them, but couldn't really enjoy the game standing the whole time.  What was up with all the standing??!!

I go to Paul Brown Stadium (I'll never call it Paycor) at least once a year. Standing is pretty much a necessity to see anything. Rain or shine, winning or losing, Bengals fans represent and always stand and scream. My voice was broken for half a week after the Bills - Bengals game this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Zone coverage is the primary defense scheme throughout the league.  Has been for quite some time.  Very few teams, if any, play entirely man.  There are not enough good cover corners to do it.  Zone gives you the best chance to contain the WR’s.  I think the Colts issue is primarily experience in the secondary.  Gilmore made a big difference last year.  This year the new players are learning on the fly.  That’s how I see it anyway.

True but a lot of teams MIX the coverage and give alot of pre-snap looks to cause confussion. Is a blitz coming and from where? No team can play man to man on regular in today's NFL but you do need at least one shutdown corner  and a ball hawking safety. Who's our elite DE? Yes the Colts collectively can get to the qb but how many times do they do it in a CRITICAL situation? Do you trust them to make a key stop against an upper tier team?

Our sporadic defense is a COMBINATION of a young secondary that I'm not sure is even on the mid tier level. To hope that low level draft picks outside of Ju Ju (who's a question mark also) pan out is a huge gamble in itself. Gus's basic looks allow any qb to get comfortable EARLY. Can Minshew on a weekly basis just sit back and pick apart opposing defenses that ALLOW our receivers to come off the line UNTOUCHED with 10 yd cushions where they can run free into WIDE open lanes? The answer is no. I don't even see a lot of stunts from our front four. Gus also has a habit from time to time to rush only three on 3rd and long only to give up a 20 to 30 yd completion downfield. Yikes!! Is it the talent level or Gus's predictable D? I say it's a combination of both.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Zone coverage is the primary defense scheme throughout the league.  Has been for quite some time.  Very few teams, if any, play entirely man.  There are not enough good cover corners to do it.  Zone gives you the best chance to contain the WR’s.  I think the Colts issue is primarily experience in the secondary.  Gilmore made a big difference last year.  This year the new players are learning on the fly.  That’s how I see it anyway.

The issue is we’re in cover 3 nearly 60% of the time and Bradley barely uses disguises. The opposing QBs can spot what we’re doing a mile away. 

47 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll say this: 

My first post on that game is I didn't understand how the Colts could be a 1 to 2 point favorite , saying the line should be Bengals minus 3. The line ended up exactly that ... minus 3. I've never bet against the colts in my life but couldn't help playing Cinn plus 7 on a 6 point teaser. I got what I deserved as the other team on the teaser was Philly plus 9.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When your defense is one of the worst in giving up passing yards we can get better. Ballard deserves what he gets it’s he thinks it’s good enough. Why is everyone scared to get elite and ok with an average. If they change DC everything is going to have to be reevaluated on defense.

Brents and Flowers have been injured, Jones has been phenomenal, and Baker Jr. has been getting torched. I blame injuries causing Baker Jr to have to start and Gus' extremely soft coverage scheme for how many passing yards we give up. That's literally a product of his scheme though. Give up passes underneath to make sure you don't get beat deep. To me, you evaluate the need to address the CB position more on individual performance instead of macro statistics. Brents looked awesome when he played and Jones, again, has looked very good. Both of them should be even better next season. You have to allow rookies time to develop, otherwise, you end up wasting valuable draft capital on players that don't necessarily make you much better, if at all.

It's not being scared of being elite and being ok with being average. It's about building your roster with a long-term vision in mind and not overreacting to the outlier performances. There are limited resources in roster construction, so anything you spend on CB takes away from what could be used to address other more pressing positions. I can agree that we need better CB depth, but I think our starters for the foreseeable future are Brents and Jones.

You'd like to draft someone to take Jones' spot and make us better. Considering he's one of the highest rated rookie CBs this season, what more could he do to cement his position as a starter?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Burn the tape from this one and move on for an angry Steelers team next week.

Burn the tape is something for good teams that have an uncharacteristically bad game. I think the tape from this game will be something of a reality check.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

The issue is we’re in cover nearly 60% of the time and Bradley barely uses disguises. The opposing QBs can spot what we’re doing a mile away. 

Maybe so but if you have an experienced secondary and linebacker group that can read and react together it really doesn’t matter.  They should be able to get the job done imo.  There is no substitute for experience.  If they are good at what they do they will be successful.  Covering then becomes a strength for the defense.  Right now there is hesitation and uncertainty.

Just now, Superman said:

Burn the tape is something for good teams that have an uncharacteristically bad game. I think the tape from this game will be something of a reality check.

I wasn’t exactly being serious.  More speaking to it was just a bad game it happens.  It doesn’t mean this is now who the Colts are.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

Brents and Flowers have been injured, Jones has been phenomenal, and Baker Jr. has been getting torched. I blame injuries causing Baker Jr to have to start and Gus' extremely soft coverage scheme for how many passing yards we give up. That's literally a product of his scheme though. Give up passes underneath to make sure you don't get beat deep. To me, you evaluate the need to address the CB position more on individual performance instead of macro statistics. Brents looked awesome when he played and Jones, again, has looked very good. Both of them should be even better next season. You have to allow rookies time to develop, otherwise, you end up wasting valuable draft capital on players that don't necessarily make you much better, if at all.

It's not being scared of being elite and being ok with being average. It's about building your roster with a long-term vision in mind and not overreacting to the outlier performances. There are limited resources in roster construction, so anything you spend on CB takes away from what could be used to address other more pressing positions. I can agree that we need better CB depth, but I think our starters for the foreseeable future are Brents and Jones.

You'd like to draft someone to take Jones' spot and make us better. Considering he's one of the highest rated rookie CBs this season, what more could he do to cement his position as a starter?

Shive gets it.

Just now, richard pallo said:

All of the OL scores are below normal.  It was a bad game for all of them.  Probably the first time that happened all year.

The Bengals invested in both lines the past couple of seasons. Last year's #1 pick was used to get a defensive lineman in Myles Murphy. Their defensive line can be game wreckers. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes and we knew it was going to be this way before the season started and before both starting corners got hurt.  It’s amazing how many people just forget that once the season started and injuries happened.

Speaking for myself, the questions about our pass defense are specific to whether a team playing this kind of defense can hold up against good QBs and OLs. We played a bunch of QBs with bad OLs and got reasonably good pressure and a lot of sacks. Yesterday, we played a QB who is playing well, and an OL that kept him clean, and it didn't go so well.

Then there's the issue of blown coverages, and missed tackles. And that's more about youth and personnel.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure why colts are doing this. Maybe just to protect themselves with a chance at playoffs.

I think this signals the end of Alec Pierce.

My guess is that Pierce isn't the "great" blocker we all thought he was...

:peek:

Just now, Indeee said:

I think this signals the end of Alec Pierce.

My guess is that Pierce isn't the "great" blocker we all thought he was...

:peek:

I think you are seeing what you want to see.  Signing a tackle to the practice squad means nothing about the future of your starting WR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trubisky will start.

I don’t care how cursed the Colts-Steelers match-up is for the Colts. If the Colts can’t win this with the stupid amount of injuries the Steelers have we’re never beating them. haha

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I go to Paul Brown Stadium (I'll never call it Paycor) at least once a year. Standing is pretty much a necessity to see anything. Rain or shine, winning or losing, Bengals fans represent and always stand and scream. My voice was broken for half a week after the Bills - Bengals game this year. 

That's insanity...no sense in even having seats in the stadium if that's the case.  The folks in the first rows are standing.  No one is blocking their view.  Why are they standing???!!!

Well, that's the last time I go there, so whatever...

Peace.

• Like 1